XP 32 bit to W-7 Premium 64 bit upgrade or a fresh OEM install of W-7 Premium 64

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jcohenx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 jcohenx
Member since 2003 • 1315 Posts

Reading through the W-7 threads it seems like an upgrade from 32-bit XP to W-7 HP 64 bit is a serious hassle. Instead I am leaning toward a purchase of OEM W-7 Premium 64 bit installed on a brand new drive. I'm fairly good with s/w installations but don't have much experience actually troubleshooting windows issues. Discuss.

thanks,

P.S. Here are my specs

Gigabyte P-55 UD-3 mobo

Core i5-750 CPU

Radeon HD 5770 GPU

GSkill 2x2Gb 1600 DDR3 RAM

Seagate Barracuda 250 GB + 500 GB HDDs

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
You can do a clean install on a Bare drive with an OEM copy of windows
BenwaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 BenwaQ
Member since 2009 • 129 Posts

XP 32 bits to Win7 32 bits: not supported by Microsoft. You have to upgrade to Window Vista then Windows7. All in 32 bits.

You can make a clean install with an OEM version of Windows. If you go for Windows7, go for 64 bits.

jcohenx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 jcohenx
Member since 2003 • 1315 Posts

XP 32 bits to Win7 32 bits: not supported by Microsoft. You have to upgrade to Window Vista then Windows7. All in 32 bits.

You can make a clean install with an OEM version of Windows. If you go for Windows7, go for 64 bits.

BenwaQ
Yes, as noted above I want to migrate from XP 32 bit to W-7 64 bit. Sounds like early voting is in favor of the fresh install of OEM versions. Any other voices out there??
fatcat13sep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fatcat13sep
Member since 2007 • 1129 Posts

i went from xp 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit through the upgrade disc i had no problems basically you press custom install and what that does is installs windows 7 and all your old stuff gets put into a file called windows.old and thats it it takes like 20 minutes

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gmaster456
And if you don't need the windows.old folder delete it and save some disk space.
BenwaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BenwaQ
Member since 2009 • 129 Posts

i went from xp 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit through the upgrade disc i had no problems basically you press custom install and what that does is installs windows 7 and all your old stuff gets put into a file called windows.old and thats it it takes like 20 minutes

fatcat13sep

And after that, you had to reinstall all your softwares. If yes, that is not an upgrade, it is called: "New install". If it had been an upgrade, you would not have had to reinstall all your apps. Also, due to big difference between kernel programmation, it is not possible to upgrade a 32 bits to 64 bits. Go have a look on Microsoft web site or on Wiki.

fatcat13sep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fatcat13sep
Member since 2007 • 1129 Posts

[QUOTE="fatcat13sep"]

BenwaQ

And after that, you had to reinstall all your softwares. If yes, that is not an upgrade, it is called: "New install". If it had been an upgrade, you would not have had to reinstall all your apps. Also, due to big difference between kernel programmation, it is not possible to upgrade a 32 bits to 64 bits. Go have a look on Microsoft web site or on Wiki.

i realise that but its not hard to install things plus its better cause then you can choose not to install all the junk you previously had

theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 theragu40
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts

[QUOTE="BenwaQ"]

[QUOTE="fatcat13sep"]

fatcat13sep

i realise that but its not hard to install things plus its better cause then you can choose not to install all the junk you previously had

Absolutely. Any good PC tech will tell you that it is always better to do a clean install rather than an "upgrade" install. I would never, ever do an upgrade install if I had any other choice.
nyran125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 nyran125
Member since 2008 • 707 Posts

thats not the only problem with upgrading to 64 bit. Even playing games like TOCA 3 and DOOM 3 and 16 bit application are a SUPER friggin hassle. The fact Microsoft doesnt include 16 bit stuff on 64 bit operating system sux. I like having the future tech but i dont like sacrificing nostalgia and sometimes playing ol school games thatare better than playing newer versions of them. I would MUCH rather play splinter cell the original and Chaos theory than the new splinter cell games that are crap in comparison and that goes for the original Ghost recon is Far better game than the new Ghost recon games.

I like playing games that require better hardware and seeing todays graphics, BUT PC games are meant to always have the FUTURE in mind. Like DOOM 3 for example had 16x anti aliasing as an option 6 years before the hardware even caught up. But if the future operating system doesnt allow for the future stuff to be used then whats the point in ID software creating a feature in it's game thats supposed to be used in the future if MS doesnt supportthe actual software required to RUN ITwith every OS?

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gmaster456
No need to reply to a year and a half old thread.