xbox 360 controller won't work

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LeonGovtAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 LeonGovtAgent
Member since 2006 • 62 Posts

so i recently bought halo 2 for vista, and the controller i had would not play properly on the game, so i went to gamestop and bought an xbox 360 controller. when i connect the controller to my pc, nothing happens. it also does not respond when i bring up halo 2. what can i do to fix this?

any help is appreciated.

LeonGovtAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 LeonGovtAgent
Member since 2006 • 62 Posts

i installed the supposed 'drivers' for the controller as well. but my computer will still not recognize the controller

gfmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 gfmetal
Member since 2003 • 94 Posts
mine won't work either. it did for awhile but now it craps out all the time. another micro$oft piece of junk
BladeMaster84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BladeMaster84
Member since 2008 • 533 Posts
Wired or wireless? Also, is the controller on before you start the game or do you turn it on after starting the game?
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
I have no problems with the controller. How are you trying to connect it to your PC?
gfmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gfmetal
mine is wired. for a few months it worked great, then it would randomly stop responding (unplug and plug back in and it would work again), now windows doesn't recognize it at all - even if i have no other usb devices plugged in.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

mine is wired. for a few months it worked great, then it would randomly stop responding (unplug and plug back in and it would work again), now windows doesn't recognize it at all - even if i have no other usb devices plugged in. gfmetal

Sounds like driver issues. Have you tried removing the 360 Controller Driver in the device manager and then plugging it back in?

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#8 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Sounds like driver issues to me, ive never had any problems like that before.

gfmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gfmetal
i tried it with the regular drivers from microsoft, xbcd drivers, and no drivers at all. i get nothing all 3 ways
vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts
I just plugged mine in and it worked perfectly
gfmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gfmetal
well i figured out what was wrong with mine. leon maybe you're having the same issue. turns out my controller wasn't drawing enough power from the usb port for some reason (it requires the full 500mA). i picked up a self-powered usb hub and connected the controller to that. now it's working fine. the only thing i don't understand now is why it worked so well for a few months before the problems started happening. oh well
lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lenson
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts

Did you try stepping on it?

Cause if you did theres your problem.

yhc731

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 yhc731
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
gfmetal what was the usb you bought?
handssolow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 handssolow
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

try running updates run it on custom look to the left at hardware oppitional the controler will be there mine diddnt install automaticly ither and the drivers i downloaded where wrong . this is how i finaly got the right drivers

claytoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 claytoma
Member since 2002 • 1508 Posts
I think you computer is trying to tell you something, "Don't attach console crap to me!"
sn8keyes11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sn8keyes11
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
How can I get my game stop 360 controller I have tried everything I could think of, drivers etc....
DiableHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DiableHunter
Member since 2009 • 111 Posts

Heres a summary of how to get your controller to work for PC:

1.Download the required plug ins either from the microsoft* site or there should have been a CD that came with the controller that has the plug ins on it. Now connect the 360 controller.

2.When you first plug in your controller nothing will happen except your controller should light up to indicate that you are player 1, if this doesn't happen press the Guide button (the one with the 360 logo) still if nothing happens then re-download the required software, if nothing is still happening then the 360 controller is probably faulty.

3. Now you have all the drivers and the 360 controller works (well sort of, buttons still don't do anything) download the program **Joy2Key this program basically makes the computer think your 360 controller is part of the keeyboard and then you can assign any button to any key on the keyboard e.g. assigning RT to left mouse click will make it so that when you press RT in FPS games you will shoot.

4. You need to configure the keyboards keys to seom of the 360s buttons.***Use this image to help you find your way***

****THIS TUTORIAL outlines steps 3-4 better than I can.

Maybe I haven't solved the problem but if you did follow these steps it should work perfectly fine.

*=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906347

**=http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm

***=http://media.photobucket.com/image/Joy%20to%20key%20buttons%20controller/traycerb/Xbox360WirelessControllerImageX3.jpg

****=http://www.rmxpunlimited.net/forums/index.php?/wired-xbox-controller-windows-t3015.html

Gamespot found a way to screw up my HTML code. so I couldn't link properly D:

pinkinkvb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pinkinkvb
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
so i got an xbox 360 wired controller and was trying to set up project 64 on my pc. when i went to configure the controller buttons some of the directions didn't work and some of the buttons didn't either, so i got a new controller and the same thing happened. i am lost on what to do.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

so i got an xbox 360 wired controller and was trying to set up project 64 on my pc. when i went to configure the controller buttons some of the directions didn't work and some of the buttons didn't either, so i got a new controller and the same thing happened. i am lost on what to do.pinkinkvb

Don't resurrect old threads or discuss emulators on Gamespot, please. Discussing emulators is against user terms.