X Re-Birth Unlocks at......

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

For those who are waiting on X-Rebirth it will unlock on steam this Friday at 12:00 Midday GMT. You can pre load it now though in time for when it releases but it will also download a couple of gig be for hand which are the movies and voice overs and other things. Cant wait had it pre orded since back in July I think it was but its gone fast since then.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#2 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Gonna wait for initial impressions/reviews, been burned too much by hype recently.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Thanks for the intel, I was wondering if I would be able to play after work on Friday.... didnt realize I can pre-load... will install tonight

I am taking a blind leap of faith on this one... my first space sim... I hope I dont get burned.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

This is goint to shit all over the other 'next gen' games coming this month.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vfibsux

Good luck, I just have a bad feeling about it.

Zloth2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Zloth2
Member since 2007 • 1780 Posts

The game will release http://soon.tm/ ;)

I'm pretty dubious about the initial release. Egosoft is a great company so they will get the game working right but I'm not real confident about how the game will be over the first few weeks. I'll be getting the game for sure but not right off the bat.

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

The Soundtrack in the game from what early birders is pretty great for the game that is. :)

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

@Zloth2 said:

The game will release http://soon.tm/ ;)

I'm pretty dubious about the initial release. Egosoft is a great company so they will get the game working right but I'm not real confident about how the game will be over the first few weeks. I'll be getting the game for sure but not right off the bat.

They're germans, so you can bet the game will be really badly optimized and it's going to take some patches to get it where we want it to be. That's been my experience with german developed games, at least.

Although, they did delay the game quite a bit to work on it, so maybe it will be really polished.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I hope this time they will set up a tutorial unlike last time throwing you out to space with no clue on what buttons actually control or what to do.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 skipper847

This game actually took 7 years to develop they started it just after X3 was released. Not really played X3 but got it but could never get in to it but this is meant to be more easier with the menus and knowing what to do.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Ok so the hype is picking up.... its all crickets on the game boards.

And man I hope there is a tutorial... I need a lil handholding in the beginning haha

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By skipper847

@enzyme36: I think there is a tutorial. They say this game is more towards new people who not played any X games be for but hard core fans of X3 etc is still the same.

Defo more hype and pre pre orders too as some stores not got enough to dispatch in time lol. Good job I pre orded of steam. :D

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 skipper847

X-ReBirth is number one top seller on steam. Hope it stays up there hehe.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

I played X3 a good bit, and previous titles to a smaller extent, and enjoyed the game a lot. Can be strenuous getting into until your character you play gets a foothold in the universe. I suspect Rebirth will be good. I am not buying it on day one due to the release date coinciding with PS4 and don't want to drop full price on something I probably won't be getting to any time soon.

Zloth2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zloth2

@PredatorRules said:

I hope this time they will set up a tutorial unlike last time throwing you out to space with no clue on what buttons actually control or what to do.

It's explained quite nicely in X3 using an innovative new system called "the instruction manual."

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Zloth2 said:

@PredatorRules said:

It's explained quite nicely in X3 using an innovative new system called "the instruction manual."

A 100 page book is not the best solution for most people.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 skipper847

20 Mins to go. :D

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58911 Posts

@skipper847 said:

I don't, it's overpriced. Xcom: Enemy Within is cheaper and probably alot better.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vfibsux

Steam forums are jam packed with negative first impressions. Disappointed I was right so far:/

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@skipper847 said:

I don't, it's overpriced. Xcom: Enemy Within is cheaper and probably alot better.

Well, seeing how X Rebirth is apparently a disaster, you're seemingly right. But XCOM is a garbage RNG boring turn based crapfest too.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 uninspiredcup

@xLittlekillx said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@skipper847 said:

Well, seeing how X Rebirth is apparently a disaster, you're seemingly right. But XCOM is a garbage RNG boring turn based crapfest too.

But Xcoms gud.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts

I'm looking to pick up X-Rebirth, but I've been seeing a lot of negative reviews. It has an average rating of about 5 on Metacritic. People are citing poor performance, poor graphics, game breaking bugs, lack of control customization and that the old gameplay formula has changed too much or is too watered down.

Can anybody here lend some first impressions? Is the let down true? Is it something that can be fixed or should I just avoid the title for a while?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 skipper847

There have already been 2 patches out today. 2nd patch I noticed a lot of difference in performance. To the game play though ive only done a bit but what I have done is it seems you don't no what your meant to be doing half of the time or where to go. Not sure what it like compared to X3 etc but it not still what I was expecting.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 vfibsux

@Marfoo said:

I'm looking to pick up X-Rebirth, but I've been seeing a lot of negative reviews. It has an average rating of about 5 on Metacritic. People are citing poor performance, poor graphics, game breaking bugs, lack of control customization and that the old gameplay formula has changed too much or is too watered down.

Can anybody here lend some first impressions? Is the let down true? Is it something that can be fixed or should I just avoid the title for a while?

Check out Steam forums, pretty ugly.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts

@skipper847: X3 was pretty notorious for leaving you in the dark and letting you figure out what is and isn't possible. So far it seems like I've heard two different kinds of complaints. One, it's buggy and that makes it unplayable. Two, they were expecting X3 and are complaining that it's different. I haven't really heard many people say it's bad yet. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it. I was definitely looking forward to the title.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 uninspiredcup

Apparently it has some serous problems.

Zloth2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zloth2

@wis3boi said:

@Zloth2 said:

@PredatorRules said:

You're right, it needed another 50 pages! Seriously, though, these games are NOT for "most people." They take a lot of patience, thought, and planning. People who don't even want to take the time to read a manual need not apply.

So what's this about reviews on Metacritic? *facepalm* These are games that take HUNDREDS of hours to play and people are posting reviews after playing for less than a day?

The problems actually don't sound terribly serious to me. They've got some work to do for sure but plenty of folks are having fun with it. I'll give it another month or so before buying and I think I'll be good.

Ser_Charles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ser_Charles
Member since 2013 • 76 Posts

@Zloth2 said:

@wis3boi said:

@Zloth2 said:

@PredatorRules said:

You're right, it needed another 50 pages! Seriously, though, these games are NOT for "most people." They take a lot of patience, thought, and planning. People who don't even want to take the time to read a manual need not apply.

So what's this about reviews on Metacritic? *facepalm* These are games that take HUNDREDS of hours to play and people are posting reviews after playing for less than a day?

The problems actually don't sound terribly serious to me. They've got some work to do for sure but plenty of folks are having fun with it. I'll give it another month or so before buying and I think I'll be good.

But anything like this still needs a tutorial. Actually even differential equations has basic tutorials. A tutorial makes people easily access to the relatively shallow but also basic part of it, and then they can move on to the deeper part by themselves.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wis3boi

@Zloth2 said:

@wis3boi said:

@Zloth2 said:

@PredatorRules said:

Tell me something and I'll forget, show me how it works and I'll learn it. That said, I was gonna get Rebirth but the massive negative feedback and horrible launch have put me off it for now anyways.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vfibsux

@Zloth2 said:

@wis3boi said:

@Zloth2 said:

@PredatorRules said:

Irony......the fact you would not even know to give it another month without those people you just /facepalmed.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

It does. My younger brother bought it and he is pretty disappointed. As am I. But he took the bait and I knew it was overhyped, even if the hype wasn't as big as other titles. The voice acting is horrible. The visuals are underwhelming in terms of cockpit layout and design. Low-res textures, low shaders, even all on maxed settings. Performance is good though. Now, I have my answer. The X-series wasn't any less good because of the lack of a cockpit/cockpit view. But when you implement it in the game.. it better be good and it should have a purpose and good design. The story seems very rough so far. Uninteresting.

But it's too early for me to give a fair review. I'll keep playing it, but at the moment, I am disinterested.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 wis3boi

@Elann2008 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

It does. My younger brother bought it and he is pretty disappointed. As am I. But he took the bait and I knew it was overhyped, even if the hype wasn't as big as other titles. The voice acting is horrible. The visuals are underwhelming in terms of cockpit layout and design. Low-res textures, low shaders, even all on maxed settings. Performance is good though. Now, I have my answer. The X-series wasn't any less good because of the lack of a cockpit/cockpit view. But when you implement it in the game.. it better be good and it should have a purpose and good design. The story seems very rough so far. Uninteresting.

But it's too early for me to give a fair review. I'll keep playing it, but at the moment, I am disinterested.

THe internet is flooded with people with supercomputers that barely scrape up 20fps

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Elann2008

@wis3boi said:

@Elann2008 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

THe internet is flooded with people with supercomputers that barely scrape up 20fps

Yeah, that's the thing.. it either happens to a ton of people, and a few escape unscathed, or vice versa. As with other games with performance issues. Nothing new...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By uninspiredcup
Loading Video...

Aye.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#35 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
@Elann2008 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Presentation, voice acting character models in X games were always bad. X-Rebirth just made a poor choice to with the implementation of station exporation and cutscenes that put them front and center.

I dont really post here much anymore, but I'll post some fair user feedback here.

So, the X-Rebirth protagonist asks illmatic87: "SHOW ME YOUR IMPRESSIONS, PLEASE".

Okay, so having put a few hours in. Very mixed.

The scale is impressive, the space that you traverse through feels busy and overwhelming in a pretty good way and the atmosphere feels just right. In terms of easing you in, I think Egosoft did a pretty solid job of it over the last few X games, the basic flow just feels tacit. Yet, there are just too many things that get in the way of the games' intentions.

The perfomance seems to be on the memory side of things. It starts off smooth, but the more I load in and out of stations and traverse through space, the game goes to a crawl. Not even turning off SSAO, or Shadows help all that much, same goes with the distance sliders.

It oddly plays better with a gamepad, which has unfortunately led to accusations of CONSOAL POART (TM). While I dont have as much beef with the cockpit as others do, the Albion Skunk just feels and moves quite responsively, with the right amount of weight and momentum; it's a pleasure to fly. It's just that you're stuck with this one ship and the joy may wither away without much change of pace when upgrading to a capital ship, which could play alot differently.

Even if the interface does flow better with a pad, the fonts and icons are fiddly and small, especially when you have to walk around a station to interact to find a specific NPC with the goods you want, or an employee to implement in your crew. For a game that aimed to 'cut the fat' the implementation only adds tedium when they could have just streamlined things through one simple buy menu. Doing it that way would have cut out the interacting part of the NPC models that look like they have lepresy.

Trading seems to have introduced more unintended downtime/confusion. There's little feedback when it comes to squad ships. I dont know if they're stuck, on their way or in progress to a trade location. Note the "100 Energy Cells" threads everywhere. I managed to complete the trade, but the games' lack of communication has people confused with the system.

That's about it so far. Is the violent behaviour in the Steam forums warranted? definitely not, Im finding enjoyment out of it, as with equal frustrations. There's a good game underneath, but it needs quite abit of work/modding. But I worry. Because X's new community isn't the same as it was with X3: TC's poor launch, which was handled quite maturely/constructively, growing it into the great game that it is today. X-Rebirth may not have that luxury or time to settle like the fine wine of X3:TC, especially with that multi-million dollar ship-shooter by that Chris fellow that I feel X-Rebirth flew behind in its slipstream.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#36  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@Elann2008 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Presentation, voice acting character models in X games were always bad. X-Rebirth just made a poor choice to with the implementation of station exporation and cutscenes that put them front and center.

I dont really post here much anymore, but I'll post some fair user feedback here, since a few of you have it or are interested in it.

So, the X-Rebirth protagonist asks illmatic87: "SHOW ME YOUR IMPRESSIONS, PLEASE".

Okay, so having put a few hours in. Very mixed.

The scale is impressive, the space that you traverse through feels busy and overwhelming in a pretty good way and the atmosphere feels just right. In terms of easing you in, I think Egosoft did a pretty solid job of it over the last few X games, the basic flow just feels tacit. Yet, there are just too many things that get in the way of the games' intentions.

My perfomance issues seem to be on the memory side of things. It starts off smooth, but the more I load in and out of stations and traverse through space, the game goes to a crawl. Not even turning off SSAO, or Shadows help all that much, same goes with the distance sliders.

It oddly plays better with a gamepad, which has unfortunately led to accusations of CONSOAL POART (TM). While I dont have as much beef with the cockpit as others do, the Albion Skunk just feels and moves quite responsively, with the right amount of weight and momentum; it's a pleasure to fly. It's just that you're stuck with this one ship and the joy may wither away without much change of pace when upgrading to a capital ship, which could play alot differently.

Even if the interface does flow better with a pad, the fonts and icons are fiddly and small, especially when you have to walk around a station to interact to find a specific NPC with the goods you want, or an employee to implement in your crew. For a game that aimed to 'cut the fat' the implementation only adds tedium when they could have just streamlined things through one simple buy menu. Doing it that way would have cut out the interacting part of the NPC models that look like they have lepresy.

Trading seems to have introduced more unintended downtime/confusion. There's little feedback when it comes to squad ships. I dont know if they're stuck, on their way or in progress to a trade location. Note the "100 Energy Cells" threads everywhere. I managed to complete the trade, but the games' lack of communication has people confused with the system.

That's about it so far. Is the violent behaviour in the Steam forums warranted? definitely not, Im finding enjoyment out of it, as with equal frustrations. There's a good game underneath, but it needs quite abit of work/modding. But I worry. Because X's new community isn't the same as it was with X3: TC's poor launch, which was handled quite maturely/constructively, growing it into the great game that it is today. X-Rebirth may not have that luxury or time to settle like the fine wine of X3:TC, especially with that multi-million dollar ship-shooter by that Chris fellow that I feel X-Rebirth flew behind in its slipstream.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 uninspiredcup

If you are in the UK, £40 is very expensive for a game. Having a broken game that it optimized poorly and a "space sim" that doesn't support a joystick and 2001 looking NPC's with low production values and copy pasted environments well... it seems to be a piss take. Deep Silver probably saw Star Cit get huge funding and interest and decided to cash in on it is my guess personally.

Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

Glad I didn't buy it early. I played X3 and Terran Conflict but I always had a bad feeling about Rebirth. Mostly due to the singular ship. That just seemed lazy to me.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 vfibsux

@uninspiredcup said:
Loading Video...

Aye.

HILARIOUS lol. This dude is PISSED.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Elann2008

^ Omg I lol'ed so hard when he talked about how he'd rather give that guy 40 pounds. I'm going to subscribe lol. Thanks.. this made my morning and I really needed it.. in between my damn research paper.. :) many thanks.

He's right though.. especially the station stores... oh gawd.. I'm calling this X-ReFABLE.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

seven years in the making wow and they couldn't make better npc models

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Lmao have you seen the user reviews on metacritic? this game is apparently trash.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Elann2008 said:

@wis3boi said:

@Elann2008 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Yeah, that's the thing.. it either happens to a ton of people, and a few escape unscathed, or vice versa. As with other games with performance issues. Nothing new...

i7 3770k at 4.2 ghz and a 7990 and I dip below 30 FPS both in and out of the ship.

I loved the X series, in spite of its steep learning curve and overall inaccessibility, but after having put the time in on X2 I could easily move to any of the subsequent X games with no problem. While I appreciate that they wanted to reboot the game, there are a number of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" items that they tried to fix and broke as a result. The sector map has gone from practical to borderline useless, they removed time acceleration, the menu command system and crew hiring system are convoluted, etc.

I'm optimistic that this game will get better with patches because I appreciate what they are trying to do. X2 and X3 didn't really become fully realized games until after they patched them a few times.

-Byshop

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#44  Edited By marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts

From what i see they will have to do a Mega Rewrite Like X3 Terran conflict versus Albion prelude : night and day Could Take Years At there pace for them to make Rebirth worth even 10$ at 75 % OFF

next year they will likely be crushed if not a major update is done of a game that ask you to take 45-65- to even 2,000$ IF you are up to it maniac world OF PRE-ORDER called Star Citizen Video related

Loading Video...
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

This is why I don't buy day 1, let the other guinea pigs fund and beta test, you show up 6 months later and pick it up for a tenner after 6 patches.

It's unfortunate but this is what this business is like.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 uninspiredcup

@ZombieKiller7 said:

This is why I don't buy day 1, let the other guinea pigs fund and beta test, you show up 6 months later and pick it up for a tenner after 6 patches.

And soon as you call a spade a spade they attempt to crucify you with blind loyalty.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@ZombieKiller7 said:

And soon as you call a spade a spade they attempt to crucify you with blind loyalty.

The most destructive things in the world are ideas like loyalty, honor, etc.

"Be a man about it!" "Take it like a man!"

That's what they would tell soldiers in WW1, they had girls walk around with white feathers to place on any man walking around without a uniform, ie white feather = you're chicken.

They appealed to honor, loyalty, pride.

As a result, an entire generation of young men in their prime came back missing eyes and limbs, or dead.

For what. "National Honour."

But you don't see the leaders, the presidents, kings and prime ministers going at it, you dont see them sending their sons or (god forbid) daughters to go die in a trench.

No, they send the janitor's son to die, they send the seamstress's son to come back with 1 leg.

Same with things like this, and Kickstarter.

"Yeaaaah let's support it! Let's give em $50! Let's give em $100!"

And the game comes out shit, with tiny map and no interaction, consolized to hell.

I've been gaming for 30+ years

Don't buy anything day 1, wait a few months, let the price drop and a few patches.

Then look at it 6 months later, chances are it runs perfectly, with mods out the ass, and priced $10 (which is honestly pretty much what most games are worth)

I can't remember the last time I played something that was worth $50.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

I'm massively disappointed but at least I waited.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I've really tried putting time into this game but it's just been a frustrating mess. I have no clue what I'm even supposed to do (even moreso than with most X games) or how I'm supposed to do it, even after reading the manual. This is one of the most unfinished games I have played in a while.

-Byshop