WTF happened to PC gaming? (FPS)

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

I got into PC gaming like 10 years ago it had games coming from everywhere and they looked great! Each new FPS game looked improved graphically and kicked ass. WTF happened to FPS games are made for PC blah blah....If you dont like RPG or MMO game's are you pretty screwed these days? No wonder IW pulled the stunt of no dedicated servers or mods. 5 years ago they would of been skinned alive now they just get fired outrageous!:evil:

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
I think I would care a lot more if I actually cared about FPS... but since I don't, I love the fact that RPGs and MMOs are getting a resurgence and growing stronger and better on the PC. :)
Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts

The majority of FPS games are still superior on the PC rather than consoles, I think.

Avatar image for nofriekinlemons
nofriekinlemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nofriekinlemons
Member since 2008 • 1392 Posts

developers dont like us as much anymore,

hardware is starting to catch up to crysis and all the other modern games we need a new game that will utterly destroy hardware like crysis did, those were the good old days.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts
I think I would care a lot more if I actually cared about FPS... but since I don't, I love the fact that RPGs and MMOs are getting a resurgence and growing stronger and better on the PC. :)ChiliDragon
Care to fill me in on these RPGs im missing out on? I mean really what has been released RPG wise for the PC only recently thats a good RPG?
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]I think I would care a lot more if I actually cared about FPS... but since I don't, I love the fact that RPGs and MMOs are getting a resurgence and growing stronger and better on the PC. :)jwsoul
Care to fill me in on these RPGs im missing out on? I mean really what has been released RPG wise for the PC only recently thats a good RPG?

I don't think there's been a good exclusive since The Witcher... I prefer my RPGs on the PC because of the mods and user created content, and though there are few exclusives, I think that makes the multi-platform RPGs better on PC. Just an opinion, of course.
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts
[QUOTE="jwsoul"][QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]I think I would care a lot more if I actually cared about FPS... but since I don't, I love the fact that RPGs and MMOs are getting a resurgence and growing stronger and better on the PC. :)ChiliDragon

I don't think there's been a good exclusive since The Witcher... I prefer my RPGs on the PC because of the mods and user created content, and though there are few exclusives, I think that makes the multi-platform RPGs better on PC. Just an opinion, of course.

YEah i knew you would say that the Witcher is nigh on 3 Years old now. I got it in Europe an age ago i even have a review for it on my profile. RPGs are great on the PC but most are old now to be honest. Tho Temple of Elemental Evil is my current fav. I would have to agree with your opinion on Multi Platform RPGs tho look at Fallout3 the Mods avaialable on that alone are fantastic. Another great one for user created content is Neverwinters Nights 2. Oh just to add say just an opinion of course seems a bit week stick by your convictions and shove what over people say on a forum. If i was to argue otherwise just give it back some i hate this just an opinion stuff lol :)
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

the only really good single player fps ive played recently on any platform was stalker call of pripyat, Before that it was cryotasis. So ya it does suck that the fps genre is in a slump, but oh well. The next big one should be portal 2, and although it will be on console the pc version will be so vastly superior ill feel like it never was on console. Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Quake etc all got some sort of console treatment, none of them are really worth playing on console imo.

on side topic, good rpgs as of late on pc have been divinity 2, drakensang, risen, dragon age etc... most of them made it to console, but the console versions are just abominations. xbox 360 gets plenty of pc ports, being dx9 and all... most those pc to xbox 360 ports are just turds though.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChiliDragon
Oh just to add say just an opinion of course seems a bit week stick by your convictions and shove what over people say on a forum. If i was to argue otherwise just give it back some i hate this just an opinion stuff lol :) jwsoul
But I'm not here to argue. ;) Yes, The Witcher is a coupe of years old by now, and though the sequel looks promising the only RPG exclusives for the PC lately have been MMORPGs. So I am well aware that there has been few good exclusives for PC now, and as I stated in another thread, a part of the reason for that is that no one is paying the developers to make them. Sony pays handsomely for PS3 exclusives, Microsoft pays for 360 exclusives... no one "owns" the PC platform to the point where they can or will do that. The reason I added "just an opinion" was because "I think the moddability makes RPGs better on PC" is just that, an opinion. I figured the fact we're posting in the PC Gaming forum means we're partial to PC gaming already... there's no point wasting my energy and good arguments on preaching to the choir, now is there? ;)
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="jwsoul"]Oh just to add say just an opinion of course seems a bit week stick by your convictions and shove what over people say on a forum. If i was to argue otherwise just give it back some i hate this just an opinion stuff lol :) ChiliDragon
But I'm not here to argue. ;) Yes, The Witcher is a coupe of years old by now, and though the sequel looks promising the only RPG exclusives for the PC lately have been MMORPGs. So I am well aware that there has been few good exclusives for PC now, and as I stated in another thread, a part of the reason for that is that no one is paying the developers to make them. Sony pays handsomely for PS3 exclusives, Microsoft pays for 360 exclusives... no one "owns" the PC platform to the point where they can or will do that. The reason I added "just an opinion" was because "I think the moddability makes RPGs better on PC" is just that, an opinion. I figured the fact we're posting in the PC Gaming forum means we're partial to PC gaming already... there's no point wasting my energy and good arguments on preaching to the choir, now is there? ;)

good point, why do we have to defend pc gaming when the forum is for pc gaming?

MaxGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MaxGamer
Member since 2002 • 16500 Posts

The world economy took a devastating hit which effected the consumer's ability to fund their gaming escapades on the PC and in turn hindered the developer's ability to support the platform. This is seen in the direct correlation between the success of the current gaming platforms and their respective prices, with the Wii being the cheapest and most successful and the PC being the most expensive and least successful.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TerrorRizzing

The world economy took a devastating hit which effected the consumer's ability to fund their gaming escapades on the PC and in turn hindered the developer's ability to support the platform. This is seen in the direct correlation between the success of the current gaming platforms and their respective prices, with the Wii being the cheapest and most successful and the PC being the most expensive and least successful.

MaxGamer

well thats not true, the pc is by far the most successful unless you buy into the pr. barely anyone is making money on console games, is that success? last time i checked sony is bleeding money and microsoft is only just starting to make a bit of money after losing billions for years (in the gaming divisions).

what is with these threads, they are getting on my nerves. All I ever get to do on here is defend pc gaming, its not system wars. I could care less about stupid consoles and what pc games they get crappy ports of. I also could care less about stupid games like halo or alan wake that I wouldnt play if someone gave them to me.

enough is enough

MaxGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MaxGamer
Member since 2002 • 16500 Posts

[QUOTE="MaxGamer"]

TerrorRizzing

well thats not true, the pc is by far the most successful unless you buy into the pr. barely anyone is making money on console games, is that success? last time i checked sony is bleeding money and microsoft is only just starting to make a bit of money after losing billions for years (in the gaming divisions).

Success in terms of raw sales figures. PC developers haven't been selling hardware at a loss for the past 5 years.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"]

[QUOTE="MaxGamer"]

MaxGamer

Success in terms of raw sales figures. PC developers haven't been selling hardware at a loss for the past 5 years.

even the sales figures are terrible, how many console games a year are even successful... I mean if youre not a huge success on console youre screwed. Everyone is just buying the same 10-15 games every year.
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#15 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
I have to say even though we get the ports, gaming on the PC is way better, just in terms of hardware. I am unbiased in this regard because I played a lot on the PS3 and while it is great fun play games such as God of War 3 and racing games, for FPS, its just not comfortable.
So I think we are actually better off.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TerrorRizzing

I have to say even though we get the ports, gaming on the PC is way better, just in terms of hardware. I am unbiased in this regard because I played a lot on the PS3 and while it is great fun play games such as God of War 3 and racing games, for FPS, its just not comfortable.
So I think we are actually better off. chandu83
well of course, and not every game found on both platforms is a port. Alot of my games might get ported to console, but why should I care? And even some of the games that are ported to pc like Mass Effect 2 are all kinds of awesome on pc.

check my thread here for the state of pc gaming in 2010http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27317186

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Arma II, Stalker Series, Valve, Bad Company 2, Red Orchestra, I don't know what you're talking about. Is it about online shooters or SP shooters? Granted some games are Multi-Plat, but a game doesn't require to be exclusive for you to enjoy it, most shooters have PC at heart.
Chrypt22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Chrypt22
Member since 2005 • 1387 Posts

I dont really agree with the TC... the PC industry took a slow down when PS3 and 360 hit the market, and then the recession hit. People are less likely to buy computers so more console type games will come out. However, the future does look promising for PC gaming. People need to understand that things go in cycles. PC will not always be on top nor will it always be on bottom. Also, who cares if games are not exclusive anymore... thats just the nature of the beast. Crysis 2 will more than likely be a great game.... so will Battlefield 3.... Homefront looks good, though Kaos is making it so Im not holding my breath. Also with the new MechWarrior game announced a few months back. In a year or two we will start to see a lot more games come to the PC... the PC is too unique and powerful not to be recognized.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
Most of us got bored of shooters? and the market moves foward.... while the consolites finally get what we had 10 years ago?
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Singularity's the next big FPS. I can't wait to play it.... But I expect it to be a monstrous sales flop and Raven's last title - a massive shame since Raven always nails FPS gameplay.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#21 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

ARMA2, Crysis, TF2 (100000 times better then console version), Stalker series, Crysis Warehead.... did you miss those?

Not to mention the best version of Battlefield Bad Company and Metro?

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Does any one else have a feeling in there gut like i do..That diablo 3 is going to the xbox as well..Sort of like they did with sacred 2..It would kill me if they did that move..Some how some way i think its coming..Not sure why its just a stupid gut feeling ive got..If that happens than pc gaming is truly dead..Im shocked that microsoft doesnt want mmorpgs on the box...Next gen xbox i bet will see some online games..

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GeneralShowzer

Does any one else have a feeling in there gut like i do..That diablo 3 is going to the xbox as well..Sort of like they did with sacred 2..It would kill me if they did that move..Some how some way i think its coming..Not sure why its just a stupid gut feeling ive got..If that happens than pc gaming is truly dead..Im shocked that microsoft doesnt want mmorpgs on the box...Next gen xbox i bet will see some online games..

Gladestone1
LOL what is with people today. Seriously you have to understand that games are expensive to make and keeping them on one platform can mean loosing a lot of money, and financial failure . What if Diablo III gets ported to consoles? Will you lose anything? Will i lose anything?
o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

ARMA2, Crysis, TF2 (100000 times better then console version), Stalker series, Crysis Warehead.... did you miss those?

kozzy1234
ARMA II was a system hog was it not? Crysis is argueed to be some sort of masterpiece or a boring game. I played the demo and I didnt think it was that bad but I guess it was just a super lack luster demo lol. TF2 to me is a terrible FPS. Good when it came out but it just to me anyway lacks skill and seems like a bit of a friendly everyone can play it and it gets spammed a fair bit. Cant comment on the stalker asside from it was super buggy and then crysis warhead (more of the same of crysis) and apperntly the multiplayer of those games is rather dead. Bad company 2 is a good game on PC although you can tell it was built in the mind of the consoles from the start. Metro havnt played it. I think he means more the UT2004 era? games such as farcry, even later on COD2 i guess. BF2 CSS (while a broken game in the form of its horrible hit detection) was a great game back a few years ago. Id honestly say the last super decent FPS was COD:MW. Again it felt like a console game but it was still fun to play.
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Birdy09
[QUOTE="Gladestone1"]

GeneralShowzer
LOL what is with people today. Seriously you have to understand that games are expensive to make and keeping them on one platform can mean loosing a lot of money, and financial failure . What if Diablo III gets ported to consoles? Will you lose anything? Will i lose anything?

More often than not the intellectual property is effected to cater to the new audiance, thats where the loss usually is...
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GeneralShowzer
[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

o0squishy0o
ARMA II was a system hog was it not? Crysis is argueed to be some sort of masterpiece or a boring game. I played the demo and I didnt think it was that bad but I guess it was just a super lack luster demo lol. TF2 to me is a terrible FPS. Good when it came out but it just to me anyway lacks skill and seems like a bit of a friendly everyone can play it and it gets spammed a fair bit. Cant comment on the stalker asside from it was super buggy and then crysis warhead (more of the same of crysis) and apperntly the multiplayer of those games is rather dead. Bad company 2 is a good game on PC although you can tell it was built in the mind of the consoles from the start. Metro havnt played it. I think he means more the UT2004 era? games such as farcry, even later on COD2 i guess. BF2 CSS (while a broken game in the form of its horrible hit detection) was a great game back a few years ago. Id honestly say the last super decent FPS was COD:MW. Again it felt like a console game but it was still fun to play.

Are you gonna shamelessly insult every successful game on PC now, most of which you haven't played? Reviews speak for themselves, your opinion means very little you haven t played one game you seek to belittle . Maybe it makes you feel better that you only own a console now, i don't know.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GeneralShowzer
[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"][QUOTE="Gladestone1"]

Birdy09

More often than not the intellectual property is effected to cater to the new audiance, thats where the loss usually is...

Diablo was never really a demanding and complex PC game. It can be ported to consoles with great ease, so i don't see why not. It is and always will be a PC game. You are acting as if only now PC games get ported to consoles, while in fact i know that i played Warcraft II on PS.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TerrorRizzing
[QUOTE="Gladestone1"]

GeneralShowzer

diablo 1 can be found on playstation, starcraft on n64... could anyone care less?
Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
Because the old FPS for PC are so amazing, why make new games when you can play Css 1.6, HL2, quake 3 etc?
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GeneralShowzer
Because the old FPS for PC are so amazing, why make new games when you can play Css 1.6, HL2, quake 3 etc?Dr_Brocoli
Don't forget BF2, and Unreal Tournament 2004. Those two beat anything on consoles, as far as MP shooters go.
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Birdy09
[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"][QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"] LOL what is with people today. Seriously you have to understand that games are expensive to make and keeping them on one platform can mean loosing a lot of money, and financial failure . What if Diablo III gets ported to consoles? Will you lose anything? Will i lose anything?

Diablo was never really a demanding and complex PC game. It can be ported to consoles with great ease, so i don't see why not. It is and always will be a PC game. You are acting as if only now PC games get ported to consoles, while in fact i know that i played Warcraft II on PS.

I just explained the logic, I didnt say I agreed or thought that way ;) .... but it does happen alot. not saying it would with Diablo 3.
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"][QUOTE="Birdy09"] More often than not the intellectual property is effected to cater to the new audiance, thats where the loss usually is...Birdy09

I just explained the logic, I didnt say I agreed or thought that way ;) .... but it does happen alot. not saying it would with Diablo 3.

What im saying is the pc needs a few good exclusives..Like starcraft 2, like dawn of war 2...We have so few these days..Diablo 3 should stay a pc game period..Ya i no they would loose a lot of cash how ever i think they still will make a ton..With starcraft 2 an diablo 3..Pc gamers such as myself old timers would want to see diablo remain on the pc..Its just a respect thing..Own a xbox so dont get me wrong i love it..Its just a thing ive got with diablo an certain games like simcity need to remain a pc game only..

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"] Diablo was never really a demanding and complex PC game. It can be ported to consoles with great ease, so i don't see why not. It is and always will be a PC game. You are acting as if only now PC games get ported to consoles, while in fact i know that i played Warcraft II on PS.Gladestone1

What im saying is the pc needs a few good exclusives..Like starcraft 2, like dawn of war 2...We have so few these days..Diablo 3 should stay a pc game period..Ya i no they would loose a lot of cash how ever i think they still will make a ton..With starcraft 2 an diablo 3..Pc gamers such as myself old timers would want to see diablo remain on the pc..Its just a respect thing..Own a xbox so dont get me wrong i love it..Its just a thing ive got with diablo an certain games like simcity need to remain a pc game only..

I don't need exclusives i need good games. This exclusive thing is ridiculous, PS3 only gets exclusives because the developers are owned by Sony. Same with Microsoft. And FYI PC has way more exclusives, more than all consoles combined.
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Birdy09
[QUOTE="Gladestone1"]

[QUOTE="Birdy09"] I just explained the logic, I didnt say I agreed or thought that way ;) .... but it does happen alot. not saying it would with Diablo 3.GeneralShowzer

I don't need exclusives i need good games. This exclusive thing is ridiculous, PS3 only gets exclusives because the developers are owned by Sony. Same with Microsoft. And FYI PC has way more exclusives, more than all consoles combined.

We know this, but honestly the majority of "PC Exclusive games, more than consoles combined" are questionable lightly reviewed and contains alot of sub-par games... wether you will admit it or not. and the fact that pretty much any sims expansions automatically gets 8.0+ here just adds against the theory of "platform standards being harsh for PC" .... because in reality it seems the other way around for everything but the big hits.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Its not like the old days. I remember starting with Quake 2. Lots of good games coming out during that time; Shogo, Powerslide, Alice, the Soldier of Fortune games, Decent 2, Diablo 2, etc...there was a lot of variety and not too many console ports. PC gaming was a completley different world and seperate from consoles. Now it is the complete opposite. PC gaming, in a sense, has died right before our eyes, slowly, and changed into something else. Good or bad, pc gaming in 2010 is not the same as it was 10 or more years ago.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#37 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

FPS are generally really short in the number of gameplay hours. I rather go for stuff like Just Cause 2 if i want a shooter.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GeneralShowzer

Its not like the old days. I remember starting with Quake 2. Lots of good games coming out during that time; Shogo, Powerslide, Alice, the Soldier of Fortune games, Decent 2, Diablo 2, etc...there was a lot of variety and not too many console ports. PC gaming was a completley different world and seperate from consoles. Now it is the complete opposite. PC gaming, in a sense, has died right before our eyes, slowly, and changed into something else. Good or bad, pc gaming in 2010 is not the same as it was 10 or more years ago.

Videodogg
Neither is console gaming. I remember consoles having a distinct libary, while now there's basically no difference between the two consoles. Any game is mutli-plat, except those that MS/SONY are willing to pay good money for. Which are rare. And don't get me started on paying for online, and focus on motion controls. Yuck.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a61a463b062f
deactivated-5a61a463b062f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5a61a463b062f
Member since 2010 • 274 Posts

I agree that their are a ton of great old pc fps's but I think some great ones are coming out soon. Such as Crysis 2, Rage, Deus Ex 3, and Fallout: New Vegas. Yet all of these are coming out on console as well. I could care less about 'PC' exclusive games, as long as they port the game correctly, I'm happy.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I dropped FPS except for Borderlands. The others are simply too linear.

Give me open-world WRPGs: you get storylines, open exploration, decision branches, everything a FPS cannot match.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

No wonder IW pulled the stunt of no dedicated servers or mods. 5 years ago they would of been skinned alive now they just get fired outrageous!:evil:

mattuk69

Infinity Ward pulled the stunt of no dedicated servers or mods because (a) they wanted to sell you DLC at inflated prices, and (b) because after the original CoD they made it quite clear they wanted to be a console game developer, but ActiVision said no.

Also, people getting fired from IW had nothing to do with the design decisions of their games.

Now, when it comes to FPS games, I think they are all more technically proficient than in the past, and the graphics are generally good enough. The problem I see with the genre is that the games nowadays are too short, too linear, lacking in story, and the level design and variety of gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. Too many FPS games are trying to become linear 'cinematic' experiences, like a movie, when in my view the very strength of being a game is that you can open up the world and allow the player to do what they want.

Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts

Blame the Xbox and Halo. This pretty much legitimized FPSs for consoles on a grand scale. The Xbox when it came out was more powerful graphically than any PC at the time, had a hit game to match it, and a couple years later had a well built online service that was more fully appreciated with Halo 2 releasing. Since then Live has pretty much been the driving force for the brand, making the games social and multiplayer is king. The console FPSs are fully centric in that ideal, and that's what makes them so successful. Then you have the "costs" of PC gaming, the frustrations of lazy people unwilling to learn hardware who'd much rather spend less money for a console that gets them the ability to play the games they want anyways as well as provide a good service for multiplayer gaming. The Xbox is pretty much a well defined and built brand based upon the console itself, Xbox Live, good software, and the continued faith of the customer. They did an excellent job, despite the investment related risks, the lead loss model, and going against a disruptive technology like the Wii only to end up having to concede to the newly established market the Wii created by MS having to create Natal. I think the next generation could be a turn around for games on the PC, as the case with the next generation of consoles might really mean barely improved systems in terms of CPU/GPU/memory in which case the PC will have an even more immense capability lead, especially in laptops where a buyer can purchase a well to do system only need to make a couple configuration decisions and have a gaming machine ready to go that will readily beat a console's graphics 5-6x over. PC gaming will always have a host of small and independent studios that make PC centric or exclusive titles because the PC platform is essentially free for them to release on with no royalties except to either a publisher or digitial distribution service. It's a cheaper investment to a possibly larger market of players. That pretty much explains why PC gaming can't die as long as PCs are still around. Then you have all these "free" FPSs being made that actually are successful. With a possible resurgence of the non-MMO market on PC, I think we'll see more quality stuff in the future.

As for capabilities and feature sets, the consoles have a very good feature set, pretty much the same as most computers except in a few regards, but basically the same. The problem is mostly the memory, and secondly the fillrates. A game like the first Crysis is first of all too much of a memory strain in order to meet the high graphics settings established in Crysis on PC. With a good LOD system, the game could still be well rendered but would still suffer even if memory isn't an issue and the levels themselves would have to be more linear in design. Crysis at high settings really needs about 512 MB of VRAM to run well and smoothly and that's as much as either the 360 or PS3 have total of course.

MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts

http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-mod-galactic-warfare =0

Ocid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ocid1
Member since 2005 • 362 Posts

If your going to focus on only 1 genre then you're likely to be disappointed whichever platform you choose to game on. With the exception of a select few almost all FPS are multiplat.

Your point about the pc being only for RPG's and MMO's is complete bull. Try looking beyond just what it is hyped up by the media and you'll see the pc has far more depth and variety to offer.

cogoSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cogoSE
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

The majority of FPS games are still superior on the PC rather than consoles, I think.

Ikavnieks

Agreed! The PC is superior due to the mouse. It's just frustrating playing a FPS on a console with a controller.

liffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 liffi
Member since 2004 • 254 Posts

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"][QUOTE="jwsoul"] Care to fill me in on these RPGs im missing out on? I mean really what has been released RPG wise for the PC only recently thats a good RPG? jwsoul

YEah i knew you would say that the Witcher is nigh on 3 Years old now. I got it in Europe an age ago i even have a review for it on my profile. RPGs are great on the PC but most are old now to be honest. Tho Temple of Elemental Evil is my current fav. I would have to agree with your opinion on Multi Platform RPGs tho look at Fallout3 the Mods avaialable on that alone are fantastic. Another great one for user created content is Neverwinters Nights 2. Oh just to add say just an opinion of course seems a bit week stick by your convictions and shove what over people say on a forum. If i was to argue otherwise just giveit back some i hate this just an opinion stuff lol :)

And you don't know about dragon age? It is a great game and sure there isn't much rpg out but there have never been that many rpg on pc anyway.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts
[QUOTE="o0squishy0o"][QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

GeneralShowzer

Are you gonna shamelessly insult every successful game on PC now, most of which you haven't played? Reviews speak for themselves, your opinion means very little you haven t played one game you seek to belittle . Maybe it makes you feel better that you only own a console now, i don't know.

Oh really? MW2 got praised reviews from basically everyone and you are going to sit there and tell me its a good game? http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/modernwarfare2 85 vs the 3.5 of 4943 votes. I do have a PC if you looked and checked out my Live thingy it has a lovely DoW 2 logo does it not? :P. The PC games that I play are generally FPS and at the moment i play bad company 2 alot and that game isnt that great, if it wasnt for me knowing people who play it I could just as easily get away with getting it on the 360 and being happy with it. PC gaming just is not what it was. Its governed by what is going on in the console world. I mean please feel free to show me some awesome FPS games that 1 I can not get on the consoles, 2 That take real advantage of the PC platforms, 3 Have popular multiplayer so finding a game is not hard. 4, That has come out since 2005. I am no way pro console; unless you want the eaisest less hassel way of gaming purely because thats what consoles do well. Last FPS that I thought was actualy decent was properbly F.E.A.R even thatt got nerfed when the sequal came out lol
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ChiliDragon

And you don't know about dragon age? It is a great game and sure there isn't much rpg out but there have never been that many rpg on pc anyway.

liffi
I don't think Dragon Age counts as a PC exclusive... ;)
rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts
[QUOTE="Gladestone1"]

GeneralShowzer

I think he's worried that the game will get "streamlined" or in harsher words, dumbed down to accompdate console hardware limitations. Its not entirely unreasonable for him to feel that way. But people need to understand that the future for big budget games are multiplatform. The only concern that we should have is that a lot more games are developed with the PC in the lead platform. Wrt to D3, I don't think I care much if it gets ported to console (note the keyword : PORTED hehe). Other than that, please help PC and multiplatform developers by encouraging your friend to stop piracy and reward devs that they like by buying their games. :)
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Its not just on pc, if you take a look at the upcoming games you will see that the once leading fps genre is now surrounded by third person shooters and rpgs or sandbox games. Basicly fps are too generic for toways standards.

Singularity's the next big FPS. I can't wait to play it.... But I expect it to be a monstrous sales flop and Raven's last title - a massive shame since Raven always nails FPS gameplay.

Baranga
That for example which is a game i am looking forward, wont be that much, just a mix of wolfenstein and timeshift. It will sell poorly and wont me a very impressive game because simply average fps dont sell that much anymore. You gotta be sony or ms and make a fps with a huge budget in order to sell or amazing graphics like crysis and crysis 2 go for. Anyway those are my thoughts.