This topic is locked from further discussion.

Smithgdwg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Smithgdwg
Member since 2003 • 1886 Posts

I have just recently started playing XCOM:Enemy Unknown(the first game in the series) using DOSBOX, and WOW, Im impressed that they were able to make a game like this back in 1993. Very fun and a true masterpiece.

Now I have heard a new game called UFO:Extraterrestrial will be released this month, which will hopefully be like an updated version of this game. Looks like fun!!!

Just wanted to expressed my gratitude to this long ago classic that I missed soo many years ago.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
Glad to see another gamer discovered a true gem! Xcom is awesome.
AssRhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AssRhino
Member since 2003 • 515 Posts
Yeah i loved Xcom back in the day. Too bad they killed that franchise.
Fignewton50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fignewton50
Member since 2003 • 3748 Posts
Whats the best way to play old games like that? Never heard of DOSBOX. I'd also heard rumor that people have made those games that are run online using javascript because the files are so small. Just curious...
Tequila_Zaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tequila_Zaire
Member since 2002 • 16961 Posts

Whats the best way to play old games like that? Never heard of DOSBOX. I'd also heard rumor that people have made those games that are run online using javascript because the files are so small. Just curious...Fignewton50

DOSBOX or an old PC are the best ways really...DOSBOX basicly emulates the enviornment the games originally ran in...most importantly getting the SOUND right. Very difficult process in newer OS's natively since it's just no longer supported.

But if you have an old PC laying around it's very easy and cheap to set it up for the sole purpose of playing old DOS games.

kingrich06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 110

#6 kingrich06
Member since 2006 • 5403 Posts
Try X-Com Terror from the Deep. Better Weapons. I enjoyed both of them
SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
X-Com UFO Defense/Enemy Unknown is the best game ever made IMO.....
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
congrats! one of the best of all time - definitely top 10. happy gaming!
noctilucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 noctilucus
Member since 2006 • 191 Posts
Try X-Com Terror from the Deep. Better Weapons. I enjoyed both of them kingrich06
Well, in essence it's just the same as Enemy Unknown but with different graphics. Though I found the graphics to be worse than those from Enemy Unknown... Excellent game though, it's a shame that apart from some remakes there haven't been any more recent similar games in the same genre.
eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#10 eclarkdog
Member since 2004 • 1310 Posts

I have just recently started playing XCOM:Enemy Unknown(the first game in the series) using DOSBOX, and WOW, Im impressed that they were able to make a game like this back in 1993. Very fun and a true masterpiece.

Now I have heard a new game called UFO:Extraterrestrial will be released this month, which will hopefully be like an updated version of this game. Looks like fun!!!

Just wanted to expressed my gratitude to this long ago classic that I missed soo many years ago.

Smithgdwg
If you want something new and absolutely awesome, try Silent Storm/Sentinels (Slient Storm Gold). If you like XCOM, you will love this game.
ImDrFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 ImDrFreak
Member since 2002 • 1492 Posts
Also, X-Com is now on GameTap, for those of you who subscribe.
Scatsofrango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 Scatsofrango
Member since 2004 • 555 Posts

I´m very happy that you discovered this game! In my opinion it´s one of the best games ever!

Try also ufo: terror from the deep and X-com apocalypse, also great games 

goblight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 goblight
Member since 2003 • 422 Posts
Yes this is truly one of the greatest PC games of all time!!! It also is availabe for free for your PDA from www.xcomufo.com. It is a little different but not enough to notice a reduction in the gooey gaming goodness.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
It's one of the best PC game!
X-Com for PPC? Thank for the info, man.
johnnyb47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 johnnyb47
Member since 2004 • 408 Posts
There's a free downloadable indie game called UFO: Alien Invasion, based on the Quake 2 engine. While it's pretty much a clone of the original X-Com, I found the gameplay to be much harder, so that may be for you if you want a challenge.
Whermacht02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Whermacht02
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts

Smithgdwg

Wow, Im glad to hear that another player found and is enjoying one of the BEST TBS games ever made. The game is more than 10 years old, but it still has that addictive gameplay.

I really miss those DOS days, were you didnt have to own a monster rig in order to play the latest game and when ALMOST every game that came out had rock-solid content...