WoW account banned - what to do?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BrianB0422 (1636 posts) -

I got an email about 2 months ago telling me that my WoW account had been banned for the use of a bot or something. I haven't played WoW since December and my account was closed for maybe 3 months by the time I got that email, so I'm guessing that someone hacked my account, but thats not really important to me.

My question is, is there a way to "un-ban" it and how complicated / time consuming of a process is it? I would like to play some WoW again but I don't really want to jump through a millionhoops just to do so.

#2 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

I get this all the time, you sure it's legit? no don't look at the links, put the mouse over them and see if they're for the official Blizzard websites that are related to WoW and their games.

There are lots of people that got "banned" for no reason but in the end almost all cases were related to spam and hacking attempts. I also saw 2 or 3 cases that got banned because of bots and hacks because of an username mistake, so contact Blizz support "if you're sure that mail is legit", tell them your story and ask them to verify your entire WoW account for possible changes in the period it should have been inactive. If there was a mistake, they'll probably fix it in a few hours, a day at most, if they'll go through all your characters and all your wow actions, it'll take up to 2-3 days.

Again,IF that email is legit and not just an attempt to get your account info, in short, get hacked.

Keep in mind the list of safe, official Blizzard Entertainment domains:

• Blizzard.com (us.blizzard.com)
  • Battle.net
  • WorldOfWarcraft.com (redirects tous/eu.battle.net/wow)
  • WoWArmory.com (doesn't exist anymore)
  • StarCraft2.com (now us/eu.battle.net/sc2)
  • Diablo3.com ( us/eu.blizzard.com/diablo3)
  • Wow-Europe.com (it's now us/eu.battle.net/wow)
  • blizzard-europe.com (or eu.blizzard.com)

#3 Posted by BrianB0422 (1636 posts) -
Yeah its legitimate. I went to battle.net and logged in and it said "account is banned". So basically just contact them, tell them whats up, and see if they can do anything?
#4 Posted by the_ChEeSe_mAn2 (8464 posts) -
Are you sure you logged into legit battle.net site and not the one the email link provided?
#5 Posted by BrianB0422 (1636 posts) -

Are you sure you logged into legit battle.net site and not the one the email link provided?the_ChEeSe_mAn2

The email had no links. Just text explaining why my account was banned.

#6 Posted by the_ChEeSe_mAn2 (8464 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]Are you sure you logged into legit battle.net site and not the one the email link provided?BrianB0422

Hmm maybe then your account got hacked while you were away and then this new user got the account banned then. If you aren't intent on playing WoW again, I don't see why you should bother trying to get it back.
#7 Posted by BrianB0422 (1636 posts) -
[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"][QUOTE="BrianB0422"]

Are you sure you logged into legit battle.net site and not the one the email link provided?the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Hmm maybe then your account got hacked while you were away and then this new user got the account banned then. If you aren't intent on playing WoW again, I don't see why you should bother trying to get it back.

I would like to play again but as I stated in my OP, I don't want to play bad enough to sit on the phone for 4 hours. :) Really just wanted an idea of how long this process is because as I recall, Blizzard customer support is notoriously sloooowwwww.
#8 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Blizzard isn't slow, if you send an email, solving problems through the phone is a bad idea for any game. Blizzard support is the fastest you'll ever encounter, after EA (live support that is).
#9 Posted by JohnF111 (14122 posts) -
They should be able to check your IP against the person who got it banned, just contact them and explain what happened, if it's true then they'll see it immediately and you'll be asked your account details like full naem and phone number and what not, hopefully they'll have the authority to unban you or pass you over to someone who can do so. Might take a while though they have a very intricate system for these things so expect a week or two delay.
#10 Posted by KalDurenik (3768 posts) -
You could call them and it will be solved directly to 1 day... Or e-mail them and wait a few days.
#11 Posted by mrbojangles25 (32001 posts) -

Yeah its legitimate. I went to battle.net and logged in and it said "account is banned". So basically just contact them, tell them whats up, and see if they can do anything?BrianB0422

yes

Blizzard has extremely good customer support. If you email them, plead your case, etc, they will fix your problem. They are not in the business of banning legitimate, honest players.

It will take you a few days, however, so be patient.

I also recommend getting the authenticator tool; my account was hacked three times before I got mine, so I decided to spend the 4.99 dollars and get it. My account is basically hack-proof now. And I got a cool pet lol.

#12 Posted by Renevent42 (5682 posts) -
I had the same kind of thing happen to me. Account got banned but it was like 2 YEARS since I played the game. I caleld them up because I figured someone hacked my account. They were able to unban me but considering I got hacked in the first place and I had no intentions of playing I told them to keep my account inactive.
#14 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrianB0422"]

I got an email about 2 months ago telling me that my WoW account had been banned for the use of a bot or something. I haven't played WoW since December and my account was closed for maybe 3 months by the time I got that email, so I'm guessing that someone hacked my account, but thats not really important to me.

My question is, is there a way to "un-ban" it and how complicated / time consuming of a process is it? I would like to play some WoW again but I don't really want to jump through a millionhoops just to do so.

DeViLzzz

celebrate that they banned you and are saving you money

Or they're making you lose a lot more money.
#15 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13650 posts) -

I had to talk to blizzard a few times on the phone, they won't take your call if they are particularly busy. Just call early in the morning and you should get through, I'd say my average call took 20 minutes.

#16 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
If you really want to play WOW, just call customer support. They'll be able to help you. I had a situation where my epics were missing; I believe someone hacked my account and deleted my items. Materials, and pretty everything, just my naked avatar. Blizzard was able to restore all my items. And they did it in record time, within just a couple of hours. I think their customer support is pretty darn good compared to others. I would definitely give them a call, and stop wondering about it. :)
#17 Posted by Thatonedude5432 (411 posts) -
Same thing happened to me... So i decided to try eq instead and found that a much better game. Worked out lol.
#18 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Email Blizzard support.
#19 Posted by airshocker (30973 posts) -

I get those spam emails all the time, too. Just disregard it.

#20 Posted by Jd1680a (5956 posts) -
Call them.