Would you live in rapture

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Miles0T0Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Miles0T0Prower
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
I would before Andrew Rayan did what he did(not sure what happend).It would have been have been a great place to live as long as I could leave on vacation or something
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
Not really. The economy was 100% free market, which is basically just as bad as communism.
sepheronX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 sepheronX
Member since 2005 • 1388 Posts
Hell yeah, and then take Rapture as mine afterwards.
Miles0T0Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Miles0T0Prower
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
Not really. The economy was 100% free market, which is basically just as bad as communism. onemic
I thought they sold goods outside and inside of the city
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts

[QUOTE="onemic"]Not really. The economy was 100% free market, which is basically just as bad as communism. Miles0T0Prower
I thought they sold goods outside and inside of the city

? ya, you're point?

I said that it was basically as bad as communism not that it was communism.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#6 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts
Even without the crazy deformed people running around I don't know why anyone would want to live there. The whole place looks like a creepy circus. It's an underwater prison that people don't realize until they are stuck in it and aren't allowed to leave.
ZeEhEiK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 ZeEhEiK
Member since 2002 • 727 Posts
I wouldn't mind living in such an arena... Personally, I am all for science without regard for... ahem.... petty morality. People try, in vain, to stop science. No one can stop science, nothing stops science. We are innately curious, most of us that is, and thus it is in our nature to test the limits and pass them.
Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts
no wai. i'd always be paranoid that something might go wrong and the walls protecting the place from flooding might burst and we'd get flooded :(
WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts

i donno about underwater

if they make a cloud city like a floating mega Titanic in the clouds, im up for that.

Master_Kev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Master_Kev
Member since 2007 • 370 Posts

" I am Andrew Ryan, and im here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled, to the the sweat of his ground. No says the man in Washington, it belongs to the poor. No, says the man in the Vatican, it belongs to god. No, says the man in Moscow, it belongs to everyone. I rejected those answers. I chose something different, I chose the impossible! I chose Rapture! I chose a city where the artist wouldnt be upset, Where the scientist wouldnt be bound by petty morality. Where the great would not be constrained by the small. And with the sweat of your ground, and rapture can become your city as well." Sure why not.

SentientGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 SentientGames
Member since 2004 • 633 Posts
**** yeah.
Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts
Such a city without such rules will only end in chaos. So.... no.
Sephiroth__666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Sephiroth__666
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts

Not really. The economy was 100% free market, which is basically just as bad as communism. onemic

I was going to say yes before I read your post. Now I am going to say absolutly yes!!!:D

-AK47-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -AK47-
Member since 2007 • 3277 Posts
No.
AlphaHumana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AlphaHumana
Member since 2006 • 618 Posts

Sounds like something a parasite would say! Given the opportunity I'd jump immediately at the chance to live in Rapture. Before it, well, you know, went to hell. Rapture as it was meant to be, of course, without all the creepy stuff. The potential for progress would be so amazing without all the dead-weight of the hoi polloi parasites the mushy-headed liberals force us to put up with on the surface - in many ways I love the way Andrew Ryan thinks, but I've also always been a big Ayn Rand fan too. Plus, Rapture was filled with rich people so everything is pretty and luxurious and I like pleasant surroundings.

QuattroRS6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 QuattroRS6
Member since 2004 • 160 Posts

I would have gone to rapture assuming we didnt know the outcome of it all ahead of time. Maybe one of the scientists there could fix me up(I'm pretty sick).

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dr_DudeMan
Member since 2006 • 2794 Posts

You sir, have won the most ignorant statement of the day award.

Sprozelth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sprozelth
Member since 2006 • 744 Posts

[QUOTE="onemic"]Not really. The economy was 100% free market, which is basically just as bad as communism. Dr_DudeMan

Why was it ignorant? I think you got your words wrong buddy.
Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dr_DudeMan
[QUOTE="Dr_DudeMan"]

[QUOTE="onemic"]Not really. The economy was 100% free market, which is basically just as bad as communism. Sprozelth

I definitly did not get my words wrong. Go take a poli sci ****or read up on current events, or simply learn the philosophy behind free marker economies and communism. And then you will see the many flaws in that statement.

mclazyj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

#20 mclazyj
Member since 2003 • 4391 Posts

[QUOTE="onemic"]Not really. The economy was 100% free market, which is basically just as bad as communism. AlphaHumana

Sounds like something a parasite would say! Given the opportunity I'd jump immediately at the chance to live in Rapture. Before it, well, you know, went to hell. Rapture as it was meant to be, of course, without all the creepy stuff. The potential for progress would be so amazing without all the dead-weight of the hoi polloi parasites the mushy-headed liberals force us to put up with on the surface - in many ways I love the way Andrew Ryan thinks, but I've also always been a big Ayn Rand fan too. Plus, Rapture was filled with rich people so everything is pretty and luxurious and I like pleasant surroundings.

The problem is that the society became what it was because of the free reign that was allowed. There was no holding anyone back without the handcuffs of society on, they self-destructed. It was an inevitable conclusion. Sooner or later, the economy or some other substance, in Rapture's case, Adam, would become the downfall because you would want more than you could have or afford.

It would have been a great place to visit before the eventual implosion of society, but I sure as hell would not of wanted to be there when all hell broke loose.

Sprozelth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sprozelth
Member since 2006 • 744 Posts
[QUOTE="Sprozelth"][QUOTE="Dr_DudeMan"]

[QUOTE="onemic"]Not really. The economy was 100% free market, which is basically just as bad as communism. Dr_DudeMan

I definitly did not get my words wrong. Go take a poli sci ****or read up on current events, or simply learn the philosophy behind free marker economies and communism. And then you will see the many flaws in that statement.

What were the flaws in that statement?
User10293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 User10293
Member since 2004 • 600 Posts
[QUOTE="Sprozelth"][QUOTE="Dr_DudeMan"]

He said 100% free market, not free market economies in general. When businesses go completely unchecked, the only people who benefit are the business owners. Everyone else gets screwed.

AlphaHumana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AlphaHumana
[QUOTE="AlphaHumana"]

[QUOTE="onemic"]Not really. The economy was 100% free market, which is basically just as bad as communism. mclazyj

The problem is that the society became what it was because of the free reign that was allowed. There was no holding anyone back without the handcuffs of society on, they self-destructed. It was an inevitable conclusion. Sooner or later, the economy or some other substance, in Rapture's case, Adam, would become the downfall because you would want more than you could have or afford.

It would have been a great place to visit before the eventual implosion of society, but I sure as hell would not of wanted to be there when all hell broke loose.

While that's certainly what happened in Rapture's case, I don't believe it's inevitable. There'd still have to be laws and such - even Rapture had law enforcement, though we really don't know its structure (just that one audio diary of the sheriff or whatever who thought Ryan was too harsh in executing smugglers.) Your freedoms should end when they conflict with somebody else's. That's how the US started out but got crippled by the "parasites", or folks that lean on the others because they either cannot or choose not to contribute productively to the advancement of society - and now we have our big bloated bureaucratic mess of a government.

Ryan and I are alike in our disapproval at how screwed up we became due to FDR's commie BS steps (which mark our decline from our true path - not to mention the idiotic credit practices that the ignorant embraced that put us into the depression in the first place.) he thought would bring us out of the great depression (think social programs that make the productive members of society prop up the "parasites.")

It's the idea that one can pursue whatever goal he wants and not have to worry about being hindered by others (Ryan's "parasites") as long as that person is willing to take responsibility and accept the consequences of their actions. Self-determination and personal responsibility taken to the extreme - it's a very appealing concept.

The manipulation and cultivation of Adam was clearly a terrible mistake, and I believe realistically it would have just thinned the herd of the weaker individuals kind of like hard-drugs do to folks in the real world these days. We have them, but only a small percentage of the world abuses them and is addicted/crippled by them - kind of like how not everybody in Rapture was a psycho splicer hopped up on Adam. Realistically I think after the first few people turned psycho-splicer from Adam-addicted people would have stopped using it voluntarily, kind of like how watching a couple episode of COPS or Intervention and seeing what drugs did to those people SHOULD be enough to make sure people never use crack or meth or whatever.

Get rid of the weak links and you make the chain stronger.

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dr_DudeMan

[QUOTE="onemic"]Not really. The economy was 100% free market, which is basically just as bad as communism. AlphaHumana

Wow, you conservatives crack me up. The issues that rapture deals with are all issues that liberals support, like advancing science. Conservative folks are the reason we are quickly becoming backwards in comparison to other countries with regards to technology and science. Conservatives are the ones always crying about god and fetuses, yet they go kill thousands of Iraqis and American youth for nothing...sick...

Arcadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Arcadius
Member since 2002 • 959 Posts

I would live there if there are b*tches! :lol:

Now really, why live in a place where there are no holds barred to anything. The inevitable clash between who has more and who has less will turn it into what we live today. I believe rapture's'government' islike a dictatorship/monarchy, andironically that is what Mr. Ryan was trying to get away from.

Perhaps even Communism would be the ideal form of government in such a place. Science must advance of course, but ona leash, unless you want to suffer the consequences of that city.

Now I would definitely buya villa there, for the weekends.

AlphaHumana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AlphaHumana
[QUOTE="AlphaHumana"]

Wow, you conservatives crack me up. The issues that rapture deals with are all issues that liberals support, like advancing science. Conservative folks are the reason we are quickly becoming backwards in comparison to other countries with regards to technology and science. Conservatives are the ones always crying about god and fetuses, yet they go kill thousands of Iraqis and American youth for nothing...sick...

You're confusing "conservative" with "Republican." Being conservative in and of itself has nothing to do with religion or science. It has to do with personal responsibility. A conservative would believe that "you take care of yourself, I take care of myself." A conservative would believe government's only responsibility is national defense - privatize the heck out of everything else. I think Andrew Ryan would agree.

codemaster44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 codemaster44
Member since 2007 • 118 Posts
I might live thier just for the entertainment of having all the wierd freaks around to amuse me.
D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts

What's wrong with laissez faire?

Ron Paul owns you...by not owning you...and letting you own yourself...

AlphaHumana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AlphaHumana

Ron Paul owns you...by not owning you...and letting you own yourself...

D9-THC

Hah, nice one! I need to use that quote sometime! Not that I support everything Paul says, but enough of it to love that quote!

thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
Rapture as it was when it was first founded would be a great place to live. I'd just be worried about a scientist accidently blowing up their lab and causing flooding.