Would you consider Minecraft to be the best indie game of all time?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Flavorysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Flavorysoup
Member since 2011 • 593 Posts

In your opinion is Minecraft the best indie game of all time? And if not, what game do you think is deserving of the title? Please try to keep discussion as civilized as possible, I have seen how some of these conversations turn out. It's not always pretty.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts

Can't say, I personally didn't enjoy the game that much. I'd much rather experience Planescape Torment's amazing story or go on a killing spree in Saints Row instead of messing about with blocks.

That's not to say I think the game's bad though, I totally understand why people love it so much. And regarding what I think the best indie game of all time is, I'd personally choose either Bastion or To The Moon (but that doesn't say much though, I rarely play indie games and those two plus Minecraft were the only ones I played this year).

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

No, I actually liked Terraria better but even that's not the best indie game I've ever played. Games like the Geneforge series, Eschalon, Din's Curse, etc. are more my speed but, then, I prefer RPGs over other genres.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Can't say, I personally didn't enjoy the game that much. I'd much rather experience Planescape Torment's amazing story or go on a killing spree in Saints Row instead of messing about with blocks.

That's not to say I think the game's bad though, I totally understand why people love it so much. And regarding what I think the best indie game of all time is, I'd personally choose either Bastion or To The Moon (but that doesn't say much though, I rarely play indie games and those two plus Minecraft were the only ones I played this year).

koospetoors

Saints Row isn't an indie game...

Gamerperson33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gamerperson33
Member since 2011 • 557 Posts
Although it may be a good indie game, it is certainly not the best. I would say it's only the most popular because everyone and their dog know about it, thus becoming more profitable. It's kind of like, "Hey my friend is playing this game, now I want to play this game" scenario, and the fact that it takes a very low computer to run it is also a good point for it. Besides, I think Bastion and other indie games are more deserving of the title, than people just playing the game for it's popularity.
Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

Minecraft is fun but my vote goes to Plant vs zombies for best Indie game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
deactivated-5e376fa88bd45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
Member since 2004 • 4403 Posts
While I would say that I prefer Terraria, I do acknowledge that Minecraft has influenced a lot of the things that are in Terraria. So to that i will say that the game is definitely up there in terms of best indie game on a personal basis. From a more external viewpoint its a lot more clear seeing how minecon was surprisingly a sold out show and that even before official release there was a crapton of buzz around it.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
It's fun and it certainly has the biggest modding community a game ever had, but the best? I don't consider it, I don't even know a "best", but there are a lot of fantastic indie games that shouldn't be missed.
ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
No, the game is terrible.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

Minecraft is fun but my vote goes to Plant vs zombies for best Indie game.

Sleepyz
I wouldn't call it indie considering it was made by PopCap. As for my favourite, probably Cave Story.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23992 Posts

Dwarf Fortress>Terraria>Minecraft.

Minecraft is still an excellent game however.

Flavorysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Flavorysoup

Although it may be a good indie game, it is certainly not the best. I would say it's only the most popular because everyone and their dog know about it, thus becoming more profitable. It's kind of like, "Hey my friend is playing this game, now I want to play this game" scenario, and the fact that it takes a very low computer to run it is also a good point for it. Besides, I think Bastion and other indie games are more deserving of the title, than people just playing the game for it's popularity. Gamerperson33

Depends, desktops in general have better preformance on it. I have a laptop that I can play crysis 1+2 on, yet minecraft lags like a b****.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Maybe once it's finished.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Maybe once it's finished.

scoots9
It's "finished", officially, but it's the kind of game that enhancements might never stop.
dsgsdfgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dsgsdfgf
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

For me it is. Though I still play the first beta version. Don't like the changes they have made.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
**** no.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Where is the option 'I have not played enough indie games to judge'? I figure it would apply for a lot - if not most people here.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts

[QUOTE="koospetoors"]

HyperWarlock

Saints Row isn't an indie game...

Of course Saints Row isn't an indie game, where in the world did I say that?! I was basically stating that I'd much rather mess about in that game or (re)experience an awesome story from an RPG (or any other game, indie or not) instead because I find that kind of stuff more engaging than building structures.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Minecraft isn't a indie game anymore since the publisher and developer are Mojang, as far as i know independent developed games are defined as being made by a person or a small team without any publishers... Same for Plants vs. Zombies, were PopCap is a company which publishes and develops (and also has one of the best selling game franchises of all times, Bejeweled)

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Of course Saints Row isn't an indie game, where in the world did I say that?! I was basically stating that I'd much rather mess about in that game or (re)experience an awesome story from an RPG (or any other game, indie or not) instead because I find that kind of stuff more engaging than building structures.koospetoors

I'll quote myself from a older thread trying to summarise what Minecraft is, from my experience, you really need to play it to understand it.

"It's hard to express in words what this game is, some people saying it's 'lego' is a vast understatement.

I'm playing it as a survival game, it's a very tense and scary experince playing it like that, but satisfying as heck, reminiscent of Amnesia. In a server, it can be what the community wants it, that's the beauty of this game and why it's so popular, it's a grand example of what a creative mind can accomplish. It can be a multitude of things, for people that need a motive there are quality adventure maps they can play which are basically single player action-adventure games built by a passionate community. (even Zelda themed ones filled with quests, dungeons, traps, treasures, etc.)

Also, the environments and landscapes randomly generated are absolutely beautiful, and a wonder to explore. Seeing that sunset for the first time over the massive land mass, or being in the middle of a storm with thunder raging trough the world, are sights to behold and trully memorable. Then there's the giant mod support, God knows in what dramatic way you can mold this game, there are a good deal of tweaks and texture packs to make the graphics look breath taking."

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts
While I can see how many would enjoy Minecraft, personally I'd rather go to the dentist! Just not my cup of tea. To many great Indie titles to pick just one as being the best. It really depends on what kind of games you enjoy.
Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts

No. I can see why some people might think it is but it's not my cup of tea.

edit: Guy above me beat me to it :x

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
Its a ok time waster. But if you look at the game as a whole... Well its not that good and then throw in the general direction they are taking and how lazy he got with the updates the last 1.5 years. Best indie game? No not even close.
Flavorysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Flavorysoup

[QUOTE="koospetoors"]Of course Saints Row isn't an indie game, where in the world did I say that?! I was basically stating that I'd much rather mess about in that game or (re)experience an awesome story from an RPG (or any other game, indie or not) instead because I find that kind of stuff more engaging than building structures.Lucianu

I'll quote myself from a older thread trying to summarise what Minecraft is, from my experience, you really need to play it to understand it.

"It's hard to express in words what this game is, some people saying it's 'lego' is a vast understatement.

I'm playing it as a survival game, it's a very tense and scary experince playing it like that, but satisfying as heck, reminiscent of Amnesia. In a server, it can be what the community wants it, that's the beauty of this game and why it's so popular, it's a grand example of what a creative mind can accomplish. It can be a multitude of things, for people that need a motive there are quality adventure maps they can play which are basically single player action-adventure games built by a passionate community. (even Zelda themed ones filled with quests, dungeons, traps, treasures, etc.)

Also, the environments and landscapes randomly generated are absolutely beautiful, and a wonder to explore. Seeing that sunset for the first time over the massive land mass, or being in the middle of a storm with thunder raging trough the world, are sights to behold and trully memorable. Then there's the giant mod support, God knows in what dramatic way you can mold this game, there are a good deal of tweaks and texture packs to make the graphics look breath taking."

That was beautiful (;

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

I'm gonna go ahead and say Braid is. Braid is more than just a game, it is a statement and a piece of art. There hasn't been a game that has elavated the industry to a higher level than Braid has.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Although i love Minecraft a very lot, my favorite indie game of all time is Mount&Blade.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

Although i love Minecraft a very lot, my favorite indie game of all time is Mount&Blade.

pelvist
ooo i like that :D and yeah, i don't know if i'd call minecraft the 'best' - one of the 'most popular' though it'd definitely have a claim to. i would say that minecraft definitely still qualifies as indie though, Lucianu, given that Mojang was just founded by the dev himself anyway and is now a company with a grand total of 13 people, versus popcap with 400+ (and they're a part of EA). what else do we have, though? mount and blade, dwarf fortress, cave story, terraria.. super meat boy, castle crashers, evochron: mercenaries.. it's hard to tell who's still independent. apparently, RedLynx (Trials HD guys) were just acquired by Ubisoft in Nov 2011, per Wikipedia. D:
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Dwarf Fortress and Mount&Blade are two indie titles I much prefer.
MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts

Binding of Isaac is my favorite. Ah yes, definitely Mount & Blade Warband too. I wish I bought that game on Steam just to see how many hours I've put into it. Ehhh on second thought...maybe not.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Binding of Isaac is my favorite. Ah yes, definitely Mount & Blade Warband too. I wish I bought that game on Steam just to see how many hours I've put into it. Ehhh on second thought...maybe not.

MythPro1
I just checked...:(
Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

"It may be a great game, but not deserving of the title".

As for which game is best of all time - can't decide and never will, I play every indie game I have, most of the times more than even a high-rated popular game ...

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

M&B: Warband, Sins of a Solar Empire and OFP/ArmA1/ArmA2 have got more play time for me over Minecraft, but Minecraft is definetly still a great game.

opaque3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 opaque3D
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Minecraft isn't a indie game anymore since the publisher and developer are Mojang, as far as i know independent developed games are defined as being made by a person or a small team without any publishers... Same for Plants vs. Zombies, were PopCap is a company which publishes and develops (and also has one of the best selling game franchises of all times, Bejeweled)Lucianu

I haven't read the entire thread yet but your post caught my attention. AFAIK, Minecraft began as a small-crew project and it wasn't til now (well, till these past months) that it has become a huge hit and made the devs a big amount of money, but Mojang isn't (AFAIK) a big company yet (meaning, a big company with tens or even hundreds of employees), so I'm guessing it's still an indie game? Besides, Mojang was founded by Notch (using money made from Minecraft, I think?), which is pretty much my case since I also have an indie games company but the entire thing is comprised by just 3 people.

opaque3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 opaque3D
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

As for the thread itself, I have never played Minecraft. I've seen others play it (mostly on the net) but it's not something that makes me go like "woah! I have to play that thing!" It was a totally different experience from Limbo. I remember watching a very short 1 minute demo online (from an E3 presentation, or PAX, can't remember) and I was like "woah! I have to own that game" and then I noticed it was for Xbox and was like "oh well... I'll have to wait"

As someone else said on this topic, it may be very popular but I do thing other things should come into play when choosing "the best indie game of all time"

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

No, I've played far better Indie games where the developer isn't an absolute tool.