Would I like Civilization 5 if I didn't like Civilization 4?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Hi. I was wondering if I would like Civilization 5 if I didn't like Civilization 4. I didn't like 4 mainly because it was very hard to get into and it seemed like I was doing the same exact thing every turn. It was like the computer was playing for me.

Is 5 any different?

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts
Civilization is more streamlined in some aspects and arguably easier. However the gameplay is still the same, so if you didn't like Civilization 4, Civilization 5 wont be much more enjoyable for you.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Why don't you try the demo? I was in the same boat, so I tried the demo. I still didn't like it.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I couldn't get into Civ 4 but I got addicted to Civ 5. I found Civ 5 to be a lot more self-explanatory, and it was nice that in this one moving units is a lot more tactical (only 1 unit per square) whereas in previous Civ games you could put 1000 units in a single square and have a roving unit of death that would bulldoze anything it came in contact with.
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I found Civ 5 to be a lot more streamlined than Civ 4. The interface is a little clearer and some of the quirky mechanics are gone. Games are definitely faster than Civ 4. A Civ 4 game on Marathon could take a month to finish if you thought about each move, but for Civ 5 it's probably about a week if play every day. It's still turn-based strategy. Some people like a little bit more action in their games, and that's perfectly fine. I think there is a demo can try.

But I can say yes, a lot of turns are just hitting End Turn over and over. The later you get in the game, the more decisions there are to make (especially on higher difficulties), but for the first half there's a lot of just End Turn while waiting for research or workers to finish an improvement.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#6 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

You very well could end up enjoying Civ5, the combat is WAY better.

For me Civ5 is my 3rd favorite in the series (Civ3 and Civ2 being my all time favs).

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

You very well could end up enjoying Civ5, the combat is WAY better.

For me Civ5 is my 3rd favorite in the series (Civ3 and Civ2 being my all time favs).

kozzy1234

Yeah, I got the same hierarchy. Though Civ1 has a nice, separate little place in my heart, for the sake of nostalgia.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts
I would try the demo, you may end up liking it like I did and I didn't care for Civ 4 as well. In Civ 4 there was too much micromanagement, especially with the city screen. I also didn't like the stacks of doom, it felt cheap and just odd... Civ 5 is more streamlined so I spend more of my time strategizing on the map and unit placement instead of in city screens and the combat is vastly improved. Only one combat unit and non-combat unit can occupy the same tile, so no more stacks of doom! Also, I prefer hexes instead of squares for the tiles for these types of games as it feels more organic and fluid.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

civ 4 didnt pull me in, but 5 did. I love the streamlining, it makes it still very deep, yet easier to manage. A lot less junk and useless stuff in the way

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

Civ 5 was more simple and had better combat, but it's still very close to Civ 4, so probably not.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
I must say that I can't stand both Civilization 4 or 5.. The game is entirely too automated where it feels like there are very few meaningful choices that need to be made the majority of the time, and I am just watching the game play it self..
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
I wanted to get into the Civ series for a while before Civ V. I tried Civ 4 but could not for the life of me get into it or even understand how it worked or have fun and had more or less given up on the genre until I played Civ V. Im actually close to reinstalling it soon. Ive put 55 hours into it total but I know of some people who have put in upwards of 400...ya...400. I think the "easiness" of the game is more luck of the draw when you first start off. You either get a crappy region or you get a decent one that lets you build at a good or rapid pace. I love the game personally. Learning how to play still took a while but it wasnt nearly as convoluted as Civ 4 and it was great fun afterwards. You get better at it and as you learn things you want to start over and start that perfect Civ again only to realize theres even more you could do to improve. :)
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

No. Not a chance.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
There's a good chance you'll like Civ 5, and still not like Civ 4. Personally, my favorite is still Civ 4 because I invested a lot more time in it. Civ 5 is a very polished game and more friendly to play.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
I am quite surprised that people who were not able to get into Civ 4 were able to play Civ 5 so much. While both games are different enough to stand out on their , they are quite similar and i would have assumed if you can't get into Civ 4, it should be the same for Civ 5. On another note, I any one couldn't enjoy Civ 4 but enoyed Civ 5, I would suggest them to give Civ 4 a try again. May be they can enjoy it now ? (one benefit from this would be that they will be able to enjoy a large number of really god mods that have been created for Civ 4)
ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts
[QUOTE="naval"] I am quite surprised that people who were not able to get into Civ 4 were able to play Civ 5 so much. While both games are different enough to stand out on their , they are quite similar and i would have assumed if you can't get into Civ 4, it should be the same for Civ 5. On another note, I any one couldn't enjoy Civ 4 but enoyed Civ 5, I would suggest them to give Civ 4 a try again. May be they can enjoy it now ? (one benefit from this would be that they will be able to enjoy a large number of really god mods that have been created for Civ 4)

I doubt I'll play Civ 4 again. The hexes and the revamped combat (just to name a few) is just too good in Civ 5 for me to even attempt to play Civ 4 again. It's like going back to VHS when I have Blueray; Civ 5 is just a much more enjoyable experience for me. Damn, I now I have the urge to re-install it lol.
Avatar image for JusticeFromSeed
JusticeFromSeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JusticeFromSeed
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts

I hated 4. I love 5.

4 involved too much micro-management. 5 is simpler in that regard, but is far more complex (see: bombardment!).

AssRhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AssRhino
Member since 2003 • 515 Posts

I don't wanna sound shallow but i really think the better graphics, music and combat make up for the lack of gameplay depth in Civ 5 over 4. Many people i know feel otherwise. I really love the music in civ 5.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I don't wanna sound shallow but i really think the better graphics, music and combat make up for the lack of gameplay depth in Civ 5 over 4. Many people i know feel otherwise. I really love the music in civ 5.

AssRhino
Why would that sound shallow? If it's more enjoyment because of those improved factors, then that's great! :)
AssRhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AssRhino
Member since 2003 • 515 Posts
I just feel bad for taking fancy graphics and music over game play depth. I just really don't like to micromanage too much. I think it really comes down to that for if you prefer civ 4 or 5.
Avatar image for der_spudmeister
der_spudmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21 der_spudmeister
Member since 2005 • 607 Posts
You very well could. I tried to get into Civilization at one point (don't know if it was 3 or 4) and I just didn't like. Then 5 came along. I decided to try the demo and ended up loving it :)
Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

No. Not a chance.

airshocker
Actually, i hated Civ4 and really loved Civ5!
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

No. Not a chance.

harry_james_pot

Actually, i hated Civ4 and really loved Civ5!

Yeah, it's really weird. Civ 5 was very divisive in the community. The people that had played Civ 4 for years hated it, but the people that were more new mostly loved it. I'm kind of in between having bought Civ 4 in 2009 and then Civ 5 in 2010. I debated whether I should buy Civ 5 since I had just gotten Civ 4 the previous year, but it turned out I like things about both games. Both games are always installed no matter what.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

AssRhino
I wouldn't say there's a lack of gameplay depth in Civ 5. There's not as much micromanagement, but at the same time there's a lot more strategy to the game now. You actually have to use flanking, terrain, and long-range attacks to your advantage, and units are so hard to build compared to past games that you actually have to treat them as valuable assets. For example, in one game of Civ 5 I played I was able to take on an AI civ twice my size because I took control of a 1 tile wide land bridge that forced all of his units to walk in single fire to get ripped apart by an army of artillery I had parked on the other side. In previous games the AI would have just been able to stack his entire army into a single unit and that strategy could have never worked.
theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 theafiguy
Member since 2006 • 962 Posts
I hated Civ IV. It was too clunky. Civ V, however, is an enjoyable experience for me. I think the main reason is because I'm a derp and the menus in Civ V are a lot more understandable and the UI isn't a bunch of garbage thrown everywhere.