Would Appreciate a fresh set of eyes on this build

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ALLoY1717
Member since 2003 • 6753 Posts

Wow, it's been a long time since I posted!

Anyways, I'm way over due for a full hardware refresh on my main machine. I typically do not upgrade very often so therefore tend to splashout (within reason) when I do. To give you an idea my current rig runs a first gen i7 and two GTX 570's that I built in 2010! After a few days of catch up and many revisions later I've come up with the following build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CWCyCJ

Rationale

NZXT S340 - Yes it's a midtower. In the past I've gone with fulltowers as they are far easier to work with but I simply do not have the space anymore and can't find a fulltower that I find aesthetically pleasing without spending hundreds.

CPU and GPU - As I mentioned I don't upgrade very often so I don't mind spending more for longevity of the parts. There is an argument to be made for going with a 5th gen CPU maybe a 2011v3 socket for the PCIe lanes. Thoughts?

Motherboard - Dictated by the components really. It ticks all the boxes for what I want in the machine and it fits with black and white colour scheme I'm going for. People have made comments on the Sata Port placement so that concerns me a little if I ever opted to go SLI as the express ports (I think) will not be able to be used if I install an M.2 drive.

Storage - I'm planning to boot and install my most used applications on the M.2 although I need a little more research for peace of mind that this is indeed possible as I have come across reports of issues with booting from M.2 drives but under X99 with some motherboards. My one concern is the PCIe lane use. Even if the GPU PCIe bus is running at 8x this won't hinder performance giving me 12 free lanes but if I ever went to SLI at 8x/8x am I still safe with 4 lanes in use on the M.2 taking into consideration lanes in use for the on board LAN and sound. My understanding is that these lanes are to the chipset rather than the CPU making it ok, but I'm still fuzzy on this.

The MX200's will be raid 0, I did look at the Samsung 850 Evo which beats out the Crucial in benches but at the time of writing the difference is negligible in real world use and I am able to find the MX200 for cheaper. The 500GB models of each of the SSD's I looked at perform noticeably better than the 250/256GB versions apparently due to the number of physical chips making up the capacity allowing the SSD to take better advantage of the tech behind writing data to the drives. I may add a platter HDD later but I have an 8TB NAS on my network where I store media.

My plan is to also purchase a 1440 monitor as I hold the opinion that 4K just isn't quite there yet. I have yet to pick out the monitor.

Black and white colour scheme, which was surprisingly easy to maintain when picking parts. I don't have a hardset budget as long as I can rationalize the part and overall build. It'll be a jack of all trades machine.

Really appreciate it if you've read this far. I just need a fresh set of eyes on it, I tend to obsess over my builds and overthink things. Open to any suggestions on changes but even a thumbs up on part compatibility and the overall build would be great.

Cheers

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Q: is this build for editing or just gaming?

ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ALLoY1717

@PredatorRules: A bit of both as well as general purpose work. I've been doing a lot of work lately with a friend that has revolved around web design for the most part (hence the monitor upgrade), but we are moving towards audio and video creation now and it would be silly of me to not prep for that if I'm building anyway.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

If I were you, I'd go with a different mobo and PSU (unless you already own that PSU).

Something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qB8KrH

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@ALLoY1717 said:

@PredatorRules: A bit of both as well as general purpose work. I've been doing a lot of work lately with a friend that has revolved around web design for the most part (hence the monitor upgrade), but we are moving towards audio and video creation now and it would be silly of me to not prep for that if I'm building anyway.

Nice build indeed, change the OS into normal version and not OEM, other than that the build looks great.

ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ALLoY1717

@insane_metalist: Cheers for the suggestions. I did indeed look at that board for a while. I'd be lying if I said that it wasn't the paint job that made be want to go with the MSI :), I'll take another look at it. From memory it was a very similar feature set, the Asus does have better SATA placement as well as more of them. I think what turned me off was a couple of reviews taking note that it felt "cheap".

I haven't done much research on the PSU yet so that model will be on my list, I need to confirm the wattage as part picker is rating at a hair over 750W right now and I normally build with headroom which also allows me to re-use the PSU without worry on future machines.

I don't think I would buy another Seidon though. My first experience with that cooler wasn't great, all the screw holes stripped upon installation. Fair enough it might have been that one unit but it left a really bad taste in my mouth and the retailer I bought it from refused an exchange.

@PredatorRules Thanks. The OS was thrown in as OEM Pro because I'll be "borrowing" one from work :).

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By insane_metalist

@ALLoY1717 said:

@insane_metalist: Cheers for the suggestions. I did indeed look at that board for a while. I'd be lying if I said that it wasn't the paint job that made be want to go with the MSI :), I'll take another look at it. From memory it was a very similar feature set, the Asus does have better SATA placement as well as more of them. I think what turned me off was a couple of reviews taking note that it felt "cheap".

I haven't done much research on the PSU yet so that model will be on my list, I need to confirm the wattage as part picker is rating at a hair over 750W right now and I normally build with headroom which also allows me to re-use the PSU without worry on future machines.

I don't think I would buy another Seidon though. My first experience with that cooler wasn't great, all the screw holes stripped upon installation. Fair enough it might have been that one unit but it left a really bad taste in my mouth and the retailer I bought it from refused an exchange.

@PredatorRules Thanks. The OS was thrown in as OEM Pro because I'll be "borrowing" one from work :).

Z170-A is a better quality board then Z170 Krait as for PSU.. I'd recommend most Corsair, Antec, EVGA, XFX. Just avoid EVGA NEX series and Corsair RM series.

650W is plenty of headroom since your system would be using around 450W (stock).

I've had 120V and still have 120M Seidon in one of my system. It's been working great for almost two years now, still keeping low temps and that's why I recommended it. 6700K doesn't run as hot as Devil's Canyon or Haswell so you could save a bit on a cooler.

BTW it's the same RAM (I edited your parts list).

ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ALLoY1717

@insane_metalist: Cool. I'll update the parts list again when I land on a PSU. Part of the problem is that some things I will be ordering from the states and some I'd rather buy locally because of shipping costs of heavier items out weighs (pun intended) the savings I get from ordering it overseas. Only thing is choice is limited where I live and PSUs are typically heavy items.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 insane_metalist

@ALLoY1717 said:

@insane_metalist: Cool. I'll update the parts list again when I land on a PSU. Part of the problem is that some things I will be ordering from the states and some I'd rather buy locally because of shipping costs of heavier items out weighs (pun intended) the savings I get from ordering it overseas. Only thing is choice is limited where I live and PSUs are typically heavy items.

Which parts are you able to order?

ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ALLoY1717

@insane_metalist: Duh! I see where I went wrong with the PSU, I was playing around with the list and read the wattage usage with two 980Tis in there.

The Parts I'll ship in are CPU,, GPU, RAM, SSDs and M.2 drive, all are light and much cheaper. Already have the case and the motherboard, Windows, PSU and the cooler I get get locally as they aren't too far off US prices. I'm just limited with choice on PSU so it's going to require a bit of hunting.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 insane_metalist

@ALLoY1717 said:

@insane_metalist: Duh! I see where I went wrong with the PSU, I was playing around with the list and read the wattage usage with two 980Tis in there.

The Parts I'll ship in are CPU,, GPU, RAM, SSDs and M.2 drive, all are light and much cheaper. Already have the case and the motherboard, Windows, PSU and the cooler I get get locally as they aren't too far off US prices. I'm just limited with choice on PSU so it's going to require a bit of hunting.

If you have Corsair and EVGA PSUs there then you know which ones to avoid already. They're usually most popular ones. For everything else I'd recommend the list that I edited: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BgYHyc

You could even use CM Hyper 212 since that CPU doesn't get too hot.

ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ALLoY1717

@insane_metalist: Sweet. Cheers for your help. Funny enough when I bought the S340 case I swapped my old system into it when I was using that very air cooler and it was too tall. I shopped around for hours trying to find a cooler locally that was low profile enough to fit and not a complete rip off. No luck, over here there is a very, very limited choice of air coolers are all are extremely over priced. Example, the CM 212 Evo is $30 on Amazon and $60 here.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 insane_metalist

@ALLoY1717 said:

@insane_metalist: Sweet. Cheers for your help. Funny enough when I bought the S340 case I swapped my old system into it when I was using that very air cooler and it was too tall. I shopped around for hours trying to find a cooler locally that was low profile enough to fit and not a complete rip off. No luck, over here there is a very, very limited choice of air coolers are all are extremely over priced. Example, the CM 212 Evo is $30 on Amazon and $60 here.

If you can order one online then you can look at Corsair H55 & Corsair H60 they'll get the job done and they're twice as cheap as Corsair H100i GTX.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127518 Posts
@insane_metalist said:
@ALLoY1717 said:

If you can order one online then you can look at Corsair H55 & Corsair H60 they'll get the job done and they're twice as cheap as Corsair H100i GTX.

Half the price, not twice as cheap. That doesn't make sense. :P

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 insane_metalist

@horgen said:
@insane_metalist said:
@ALLoY1717 said:

Half the price, not twice as cheap. That doesn't make sense. :P

That's what I mean, stayed up too long so my brain isn't at 100%.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127518 Posts

@insane_metalist said:

It's a common mistake to do. Saying something is twice as cheap instead of half the price.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 insane_metalist

@horgen said:
@insane_metalist said:

It's a common mistake to do. Saying something is twice as cheap instead of half the price.

Yeah but my tiredness always gets to me. You guys always correct me when I'm here late at night :p

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

If it's for editing, you might not want the s340. The storage options on it are really weak.

Something like the fractal design r4 would be a lot better.