Worth playing GTA IV now?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

I have played all games in the GTA series, except GTA IV. When it first came out, I had a pretty bad PC, and since the game was very poorly optimized, I was sure it wouldn't run on that PC. Now, GTA IV, along with Episodes From Liberty City, costs dirt cheap and I too have a pretty good PC. I just wanted to know, is it worth picking up the GTA IV complete edition now? I really loved the previous games in the GTA series. Also, are GTA IV and episodes too tough? I heard that these games have some really long and tough missions with no checkpoints. I'm a gaming veteran and have played lots of difficult games, but I do tend to become frustrated quite easily if a game is tough and I have to repeat large sections over and over again. Please advise me. Thank you.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
Go for it, it's a really fun game.
yonyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 yonyz
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts
I recall about 3 scenes that are a bit hard and required more than 2 attempts from me to succeed them. It's a great game, I had a lot of fun playing it.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Also get the episodes.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
The best GTA there is, of course it's worth playing, now and in the future, it also doesn't have many trial and error missions like Vice City and San Andreas.
II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 II-Siamak-II
Member since 2012 • 480 Posts

I just started a brand new playthrough and loved it, beat the whole game on PC at least 3 times now.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#7 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Its always been worth playing. Snap it up now because its so cheap.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I have played all games in the GTA series, except GTA IV. When it first came out, I had a pretty bad PC, and since the game was very poorly optimized, I was sure it wouldn't run on that PC. Now, GTA IV, along with Episodes From Liberty City, costs dirt cheap and I too have a pretty good PC. I just wanted to know, is it worth picking up the GTA IV complete edition now? I really loved the previous games in the GTA series. Also, are GTA IV and episodes too tough? I heard that these games have some really long and tough missions with no checkpoints. I'm a gaming veteran and have played lots of difficult games, but I do tend to become frustrated quite easily if a game is tough and I have to repeat large sections over and over again. Please advise me. Thank you.

funkyzoom
It's a lot better with all the patches (make sure it updates) but you still might find a bug or two or random optimization problems on some specific setups. (It is the second worst port in PC history after all). The game itself is pretty good, although my favourite is still Vice City.
fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 fighter91
Member since 2005 • 1293 Posts
I thought the controls in the game were some of the worst I've ever had to experience in a video game. The controls alone completely stopped me from playing the game. I didn't really care how good the gameplay or the story was if the controls were so unintuitive.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside
I thought the controls in the game were some of the worst I've ever had to experience in a video game. The controls alone completely stopped me from playing the game. I didn't really care how good the gameplay or the story was if the controls were so unintuitive. fighter91
LOL, try playing Assassins Creed 2 on PC with a keyboard.... no idea what key does what since they are all symbols in the game.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Far from the best GTA, but still worth playing if you can get it for cheap. The only frustratingly difficult mission I can remember was the bugged one towards the end.
Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
[QUOTE="fighter91"]I thought the controls in the game were some of the worst I've ever had to experience in a video game. The controls alone completely stopped me from playing the game. I didn't really care how good the gameplay or the story was if the controls were so unintuitive. FelipeInside
LOL, try playing Assassins Creed 2 on PC with a keyboard.... no idea what key does what since they are all symbols in the game.

I played AC2 with a keyboard and never had a problem.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Very fun game. Yes, it's worth it. Get some mods too!
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#14 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Don't see why not. Most of the problems at launch are fixed, it runs better than before. Getting the Icenhancer for it will make it look nicer.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

funkyzoom
If you havent played GTA IV then you have lost out on a great game. Except if you want GTA to be less serious as it was in GTA SA, then you might not like the heading GTA IV has taken because its alot more serious and streamlined in the story and also sidemissions. But if you love a good openworld sandbox game with a great story then GTA IV is 100% worth it. Especially for the price on steam right now and with all the nice gfx mods there is out there now.
soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

I just bought it, started playing it, and am loving it.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

FelipeInside

It's a lot better with all the patches (make sure it updates) but you still might find a bug or two or random optimization problems on some specific setups. (It is the second worst port in PC history after all). The game itself is pretty good, although my favourite is still Vice City.

GTA IV is the second worst port? Which is the worst? Let me guess....is it Dark Souls? I haven't played Dark SOuls because I'm not into RPGs, but I hear people say that its a horrible PC port.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

funkyzoom

GTA IV is the second worst port? Which is the worst? Let me guess....is it Dark Souls? I haven't played Dark SOuls because I'm not into RPGs, but I hear people say that its a horrible PC port.

Dark Souls is fine if you play with the Mod and a GamePad. For me worst PC port of all time was Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Not only did it have crashes, bugs galore and instability....they actually removed cutscenes from the PC version which made the story have no sense.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="fighter91"]I thought the controls in the game were some of the worst I've ever had to experience in a video game. The controls alone completely stopped me from playing the game. I didn't really care how good the gameplay or the story was if the controls were so unintuitive. harry_james_pot

I played AC2 with a keyboard and never had a problem.

Me neither, when I learned what all the symbols meant and which key did what, but it shouldn't be like that...it should have had key labels.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

I don't really play the bonus missions much, some of them tend be hard base on my experience with gta in general.

Though gta 4 is like the rest it isn't very hard at all. It won't be like those new games nowadays where you get 1000x checkpoint, but again is relatively on the easier side for the main mission like the past gta 3,vc, lcs, etc. Never beat episodes, but they added secondary objectives which can be frustrating.

Even my friend who isn't great at games beat it in a week or so. I think is worth playing to get you geared up for 5 imo. The game is fairly long and I felt the story doesn't really pick up until the end where it ends in a bang thats where it gets good.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 funkyzoom

Dark Souls is fine if you play with the Mod and a GamePad. For me worst PC port of all time was Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Not only did it have crashes, bugs galore and instability....they actually removed cutscenes from the PC version which made the story have no sense.FelipeInside

OMG! The PC version of Splinter Cell Double Agent doesn't have cutscenes? That's ridiculous! But I did play that game when it was released, and I don't remember cutscenes being removed, although I'm not sure about it.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 funkyzoom

I don't really play the bonus missions much, some of them tend be hard base on my experience with gta in general.

Though gta 4 is like the rest it isn't very hard at all. It won't be like those new games nowadays where you get 1000x checkpoint, but again is relatively on the easier side for the main mission like the past gta 3,vc, lcs, etc. Never beat episodes, but they added secondary objectives which can be frustrating.

Even my friend who isn't great at games beat it in a week or so. I think is worth playing to get you geared up for 5 imo. The game is fairly long and I felt the story doesn't really pick up until the end where it ends in a bang thats where it gets good.

Bikouchu35

Geared up for 5? Well.....GTA V hasn't been announced for PC. I know that many previous GTA games were released late for the PC, but I have a sickening feeling that Rockstar might give PC gamers the cold shoulder with GTA V. They did the same thing with Reed Dead Redemption. I really shudder to think if GTA IV indeed turned out to be the last GTA on PC, especially since the next gen consoles are being released this year.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Errr.. my bad. I keep thinking about my standpoint since I would likely dust off the console again just for 5, but I guess for pc it will be much later.

R* will more likely than not release it to pc eventually is just too big for them not to, they did it episodes also, mafia 2, max payne, and la noire.

Yet again, what are you waiting for? Just play it!

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 funkyzoom

Errr.. my bad. I keep thinking about my standpoint since I would likely dust off the console again just for 5, but I guess for pc it will be much later.

R* will more likely than not release it to pc eventually is just too big for them not to, they did it episodes also, mafia 2, max payne, and la noire.

Yet again, what are you waiting for? Just play it!

Bikouchu35

I don't think Mafia 2 is a Rockstar game. And I do hope that you're right about GTA V being released for the PC eventually. In the third world country where I live, buying a console doesn't make sense because console games cost almost thrice as much as PC games.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#25 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
It's definitely still worth it. Just to experience it. Granted, you may be somewhat disappointed and some of its core mechanics havent aged as well. but it's still one of the most detailled open world city scapes you'll find in a game and with a rather entertaining And the BoGT DLC is pretty amazing. Especially if you're big on the low brow GTAs that were Vice City and San Andreas.
_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

I have gta 4 and both episodes. i could only get through part of lost and damned because it would crash. never figured it out. ballad of gay tony just doesnt work at all. but gta 4 itself is worth it. great game. no taxi, ambulance, vigilante missions which brings it down alot but youll have alot of fun just driving around and shooting at things. playing with a friend and taking turns to see who can survive the longest. great game 

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Dark Souls is fine if you play with the Mod and a GamePad. For me worst PC port of all time was Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Not only did it have crashes, bugs galore and instability....they actually removed cutscenes from the PC version which made the story have no sense.funkyzoom

OMG! The PC version of Splinter Cell Double Agent doesn't have cutscenes? That's ridiculous! But I did play that game when it was released, and I don't remember cutscenes being removed, although I'm not sure about it.

Sorry, meant to say "removed SOME cutscenes" from the PC Version.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DanielDust

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

funkyzoom

Geared up for 5? Well.....GTA V hasn't been announced for PC. I know that many previous GTA games were released late for the PC, but I have a sickening feeling that Rockstar might give PC gamers the cold shoulder with GTA V. They did the same thing with Reed Dead Redemption. I really shudder to think if GTA IV indeed turned out to be the last GTA on PC, especially since the next gen consoles are being released this year.

If you'd stop being so dramatic you'd have noticed by now that R* saved money from the risk that was RDR and guaranteed that their other important series will always be released on PC and they didn't say it just once, this GTA V deal is getting disgusting with all the R* attacks, all the drama, all the whining and most important of all, the stupid petitions. As for it being the worst port...the release was no worse than any previous GTA and in fact worked better at release than some of its earlier patches, there are other games to "award" for being bad ports, games that people can't notice because their head is high up in drama's behind, like Saints Row 2, Dark Souls (controls, that some can get over, but instability, terrible visual quality and terrible performance, that's not how a game looking like that performs), Splinter Cell games were always dancing with failure while making their way on PC, except the first one and Conviction (that runs poorly from time to time because the devs went crazy with the visual -quantity- side of things on UE) and others.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

It's so cheap there's no reason not to

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

If you're talking about worth playing because the PC version is a horribly optimized piece of sh*t, then no, it's not worth playing on the PC.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

If you're talking about worth playing because the PC version is a horribly optimized piece of sh*t, then no, it's not worth playing on the PC.

airshocker
Notsureifserious. The latest patch fixes almost all the issues. Mods, Nuff said.
elegance89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 elegance89
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts

Got this on steam due to the sale, even after a few years its still an epic game, runs really well on modern machines. Really highly recommended. 

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#33 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts
Modern rigs should run this game no problem. Plus its pretty cheap and goes on sale often.
Boris_Lion_SLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Boris_Lion_SLO
Member since 2009 • 131 Posts

Yeah man, just go for it. It's really good game. I just bought GTA complete pack on steam (7,5 euro for all GTA games with expansion packs) and playing it on PC. Controles are fishy but not deal breaking.

Only problem i have is with main character. Off all the serbian people in the world and developing money that rockstar have, they could not find anyone who can speak proper serbian (because some of his words are not even serbian)? Also his english-serbian accent is not even close.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DanielDust

Yeah man, just go for it. It's really good game. I just bought GTA complete pack on steam (7,5 euro for all GTA games with expansion packs) and playing it on PC. Controles are fishy but not deal breaking.

Only problem i have is with main character. Off all the serbian people in the world and developing money that rockstar have, they could not find anyone who can speak proper serbian (because some of his words are not even serbian)? Also his english-serbian accent is not even close.

Boris_Lion_SLO
A proper Serbian would be too authentic for a lot of people to be able to enjoy the game, I certainly wouldn't be able to stand it.
Boris_Lion_SLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Boris_Lion_SLO
Member since 2009 • 131 Posts

Why is that? You can't understand his serbian dialect anyway and his english-serbian accent in game is more anoying than any other.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DanielDust

Authenticity is nice, but it's only good to spice things up, Eastern European, Western Asian languages and Russian, also Chinese (except being a bad and mediocre game overall, I despised Sleeping Dogs for its authenticity) are not easy on the ears, even languages considered to be melodious, like Italian, Spanish and French can be very annoying if overdone (like AC 2 is for quite a lot of the duration of the game, where the developers wanted to add a lot of authenticity, which reminds me of the disaster that was AC 3 with their excessive Indian and bad accents), the entertainment world knows this, that's why what happened with Niko is present in all media, be it games, movies or music.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#38 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I just recently got a decent PC and finally played it, it's fun, and never ran into much bug issues. Worth playing, yes.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
In general, console ports are terrible unless you use a console controller on your PC. If that's the case, go for it I guess? But yeah, PC gamer here. I don't play games that aren't designed specifically to take advantage of my superior hardware.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kraken2109
In general, console ports are terrible unless you use a console controller on your PC. If that's the case, go for it I guess? But yeah, PC gamer here. I don't play games that aren't designed specifically to take advantage of my superior hardware.SKaREO
GTA is better with a mouse and keyboard - it means you can headshot everyone :P
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
[QUOTE="SKaREO"]In general, console ports are terrible unless you use a console controller on your PC. If that's the case, go for it I guess? But yeah, PC gamer here. I don't play games that aren't designed specifically to take advantage of my superior hardware.kraken2109
GTA is better with a mouse and keyboard - it means you can headshot everyone :P

I agree. But for some reason, the aim feels a bit awkward compared to other PC shooters. I love GTA games, totally. After playing them on the Playstation and the PC, my opinion is that they are better played on consoles, despite that shooters are generally better to be played with a mouse and keyboard. That's just my 2c, though.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#42 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I feel no difference playing it with a controller on my PC compared to playing it on a console.
RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#43 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts

It's one of the best games released this generation. You should absolutely play it.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Definitely.

Although, it's the most disappointing GTA game in the series in my opinion. Absolutely not worth the 10/10 score here at GameSpot at all. But it's still a great game.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Definitely.

Although, it's the most disappointing GTA game in the series in my opinion. Absolutely not worth the 10/10 score here at GameSpot at all. But it's still a great game.

Cyberdot

I could not agree more.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

Definitely.

_SKatEDiRt_

I could not agree more.

It got 10/10 here? WTF? It's an awesome game but personally I would give it an 8.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I agree. But for some reason, the aim feels a bit awkward compared to other PC shooters. I love GTA games, totally. After playing them on the Playstation and the PC, my opinion is that they are better played on consoles, despite that shooters are generally better to be played with a mouse and keyboard. That's just my 2c, though.SKaREO
Oh yeah, it definitely feels weird. I think it's because there's weird mouse acceleration. If you move your mouse slow enough, your aim won't even move. That pissed me off so many times.

Yeah. Get the dlc too, it's some of the best dlc ever made in my opinion.

cfstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cfstar
Member since 2009 • 1979 Posts
It is fun while it lasts, but I got bored it fairly quickly. Still, it's 5 years old so it's dirt cheap, so I say go for it, specially if you get the DLC episodes.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kraken2109
[QUOTE="cfstar"]It is fun while it lasts, but I got bored it fairly quickly. Still, it's 5 years old so it's dirt cheap, so I say go for it, specially if you get the DLC episodes.

I barely touched the story - it's too fun to just muck about.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#50 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
yes