Worth it to return to World of Warcraft ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I don't know, I been thinking about it. It been a while since I touched the game.

I played every expansion that came out but I only hung for a month or two each time.

The last time I played for real was the buring crusade expansion. But I after that game changed too hard for me to continue but this latest expansion came with good reviews so I been wondering .

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2  Edited By nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

I jumped back into the game for a few days on a free trial a couple years ago. I couldn't believe how crappy it was. Its not a game i could ever go back to. Its gameplay and graphics have not aged well at all. I forgot how little character customization there was, its not as good as i remembered it way back in 2004 when i started it.

The last time i played for real as you call it would be right up till they released the burning crusade, i lost all interest in redoing all my hard work all over again with a new level cap.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#3 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Everyone I know was happy with recent WOD expansion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58890 Posts

The entire thing is a pay2win cash shop, on top of an already expansive subscription game.

Blizzard know it's in it's twilight years, so they are exploiting the community for all it's worth.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

@nicecall said:

I jumped back into the game for a few days on a free trial a couple years ago. I couldn't believe how crappy it was. Its not a game i could ever go back to. Its gameplay and graphics have not aged well at all. I forgot how little character customization there was, its not as good as i remembered it way back in 2004 when i started it.

The last time i played for real as you call it would be right up till they released the burning crusade, i lost all interest in redoing all my hard work all over again with a new level cap.

I have no idea what you're talking about as far as the quality of the graphics. It's been hugely upgraded since vanilla. Just a quick before and after I picked up on a google search shows the update to the character models. And the new zones are some of the most beautiful zones I have seen in any mmo without question. Since 2004 there has been a ton of stuff added....so if you just started a new toon when you jumped in you have no idea where the game is now.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BSC14

@uninspiredcup said:

The entire thing is a pay2win cash shop, on top of an already expansive subscription game.

Blizzard know it's in it's twilight years, so they are exploiting the community for all it's worth.

My guess is that you are talking out of your butt like you usually do. You can't buy high-end raiding gear at least there isn't enough of it in the auction house to make you successful. Sure you can buy a lvl 90 character but that's not even max lvl. So how you're claiming it's pay to win is beyond me but it's just not true. And it's true that the game is old now but it's still got a massive amount of players so you're doom and gloom is a bit unjustified.

Besides shouldn't you been off somewhere America bashing or something?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

You don't even have to pay anymore now that game tokens are available. Farming the needed gold is simple.

quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

no, play rift instead it about as good as vanilla wow and it free

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BSC14

@Cloud_imperium said:

Yep because it's a well done fun game. People just love to hate on WoW. There is a group of people who who feel it necessary to hate pretty much anything that's overly successful.....wall-mart, the US, WoW, COD, Apple, MS...the list goes on. It's very much the cool thing to do because you know, being successful just isn't fair anymore.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cloud_imperium

@BSC14 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Yep because it's a well done fun game. People just love to hate on WoW. There is a group of people who who feel it necessary to hate pretty much anything that's overly successful.....wall-mart, the US, WoW, COD, Apple, MS...the list goes on. It's very much the cool thing to do because you know, being successful just isn't fair anymore.

That's true. I've noticed that as well. However, you shouldn't have included COD there because I hate that one :-P . Not because it's famous but because other devs target COD market these days and have learned to play it safe instead of pushing video games forward (that's my opinion). I don't hate big companies or big games. In fact I find it odd that some people think that famous things are evil and indies are saviors. Nothing is black and white. That said, Wow is still one MMO to rule them all :-)

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BSC14

@Cloud_imperium said:

@BSC14 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

That's true. I've noticed that as well. However, you shouldn't have included COD there because I hate that one :-P . Not because it's famous but because other devs target COD market these days and have learned to play it safe instead of pushing video games forward (that's my opinion). I don't hate big companies or big games. In fact I find it odd that some people think that famous things are evil and indies are saviors. Nothing is black and white. That said, Wow is still one MMO to rule them all :-)

Oh I agree with you....I HATE COD. However I don't hate it because it's popular but because I personally don't care for what it's turned into. Same as you really.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@BSC14 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@BSC14 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Oh I agree with you....I HATE COD. However I don't hate it because it's popular but because I personally don't care for what it's turned into. Same as you really.

Glad to hear :-)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I'm still amazed people play WoW really (and I used to be a big WoW fan btw).

It just a dated game now. They also have done things like this which make it more of a kids game now than a serious game which it used to be:

http://mashable.com/2015/04/22/left-shark-world-of-warcraft/

http://www.wowhead.com/item=122637/s-e-l-f-i-e-camera

There are better single player games out at the moment to enjoy and even better MMOs, use your time on those.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

There's better MMO's out there like FF14 ARR (if you want to pve, the pvp is pretty meh), ESO has gotten a lot better with the " re-release" and even Swtor is pretty decent.

WoW has just gone down hill since Wotlk, don't get me wrong WoD is better than Cata and MoP but that's not saying much since both of those expansions were pretty meh.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BSC14
@Ballroompirate said:

There's better MMO's out there like FF14 ARR (if you want to pve, the pvp is pretty meh), ESO has gotten a lot better with the " re-release" and even Swtor is pretty decent.

WoW has just gone down hill since Wotlk, don't get me wrong WoD is better than Cata and MoP but that's not saying much since both of those expansions were pretty meh.

Oh no....FF14 was absolutely terrible imo. That is one I would never play again....you really need to enjoy the Japanese art style and theme to enjoy it....I don't. It's....strange to me for whatever reason.

But hey, to each his own....

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BSC14
@FelipeInside said:

It just a dated game now. They also have done things like this which make it more of a kids game now than a serious game which it used to be:

There are better single player games out at the moment to enjoy and even better MMOs, use your time on those.

Better....hmm.

There are not many MMOs with WoWs polish, content or population. And I don't think there is any other MMO with as much endgame content.

As far as being a serious game...well that all depends on the player I think. It has plenty of difficult content at endgame if that's what someone wanted.

WoW at it's core is still an amazing game. It's the reason that at almost 11 years old it's still the powerhouse of MMOs. I like other MMOs as well and honestly I'm not playing WoW at the moment but I think WoW's gameplay still outshines everyone else. And imo it's one of the reasons that it's still on top after all these years. People will trash it and make excuses for it's popularity like "it runs on weak computers" or "people don't want to let it go because they have spent so much time in it" and stuff like that. But the reality is that it's a damn good game and it's success is pretty astounding to be honest. It doesn't mean everyone will love it but there is a reason that players continue to always go back to WoW.....it has something the others don't.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

@BSC14 said:
@FelipeInside said:

Better....hmm.

There are not many MMOs with WoWs polish, content or population. And I don't think there is any other MMO with as much endgame content.

As far as being a serious game...well that all depends on the player I think. It has plenty of difficult content at endgame if that's what someone wanted.

WoW at it's core is still an amazing game. It's the reason that at almost 11 years old it's still the powerhouse of MMOs. I like other MMOs as well and honestly I'm not playing WoW at the moment but I think WoW's gameplay still outshines everyone else. And imo it's one of the reasons that it's still on top after all these years. People will trash it and make excuses for it's popularity like "it runs on weak computers" or "people don't want to let it go because they have spent so much time in it" and stuff like that. But the reality is that it a damn good game and it's success is pretty astounding to be honest. It doesn't mean everyone will love it but there is a reason that players continue to always go back to WoW.....it has something the others don't.

It "used" to be a good game to me. I tried to go back to it but it's now basically a fetch world in the leveling experience, and everything feels dated and old.

I'm not saying other MMOs are better as a whole game to WoW, but they do specific things better. For example SWTOR and The Secret World tell a story better, Guild Wars and LOTRO do the immersion thing better, and so on.

It's like WoW now is only used for end-game content and PvP and nothing else.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I played WoW and got bored really quickly. You have to hold a mouse button to turn and the jumping feels like you're floating.

I'm not sure what I expected, but it felt like you slide across the floor when you move. Also seriously, why do you have to hold a button to turn, it makes no sense.

The combat you just turn in the general direction and your character does all the work, not sure how that's exactly fun.

Graphics are fugly too.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BSC14

@FelipeInside said:

@BSC14 said:
@FelipeInside said:

Better....hmm.

WoW at it's core is still an amazing game. It's the reason that at almost 11 years old it's still the powerhouse of MMOs. I like other MMOs as well and honestly I'm not playing WoW at the moment but I think WoW's gameplay still outshines everyone else. And imo it's one of the reasons that it's still on top after all these years. People will trash it and make excuses for it's popularity like "it runs on weak computers" or "people don't want to let it go because they have spent so much time in it" and stuff like that. But the reality is that it a damn good game and it's success is pretty astounding to be honest. It doesn't mean everyone will love it but there is a reason that players continue to always go back to WoW.....it has something the others don't.

It "used" to be a good game to me. I tried to go back to it but it's now basically a fetch world in the leveling experience, and everything feels dated and old.

I'm not saying other MMOs are better as a whole game to WoW, but they do specific things better. For example SWTOR and The Secret World tell a story better, Guild Wars and LOTRO do the immersion thing better, and so on.

WoW doesn't feel dated at all to me other than I have already played through all the lvling content. I still enjoy it's art style and attention to detail in the zones and whatnot. I personally find WoW to be more immersive than GW2 or LOTRO....but I was never a fan of GW2 anyway.

Honestly as much as I have enjoyed WoW in the past I'm really pretty burnt out on it. I'm not one to bash it though...considering how much I played it would be a bit stupid to say I don't think it's a great game.

I'm looking at Neverwinter atm....I hear it's pretty well done but can be a money grab. I guess I'll find out.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@BSC14 said:
@FelipeInside said:

Better....hmm.

Have you played ESO? The recent "re-release" I heard improved things for the better. I'm still not sure to jump in. I tried playing WoW again but I couldn't stay logged on for more than 15 minutes after having played on and off since 2004. It's been way too long and I need to play something new!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

@Kjranu said:
@FelipeInside said:
@BSC14 said:
@FelipeInside said:

Better....hmm.

Have you played ESO? The recent "re-release" I heard improved things for the better. I'm still not sure to jump in. I tried playing WoW again but I couldn't stay logged on for more than 15 minutes after having played on and off since 2004. It's been way too long and I need to play something new!

Yeah I've casually played ESO both before the big patch and after.

The game was never one of my favourite MMOs, but it isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I've never been an Elder Scrolls fan either so that doesn't help.

The big patch though did improve heaps of things.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

It is always a good time to jump back to WoW! The game has the content needed to keep you busy for a long time. Also the reference of it being geared more for kids, I do not agree. The game has always since day 1 referenced Pop Culture.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I started back a few days ago and I am liking it. I do miss the old talent trees but they have made it easier to get in and get things done without spending countless hours.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I've never cared for WoW so, no, it's not worth it. For me, WoW was the death knell of the MMORPG.

Kizoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kizoe
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

The WoD expansion is really worth a try, because there are a big new contetn - Garrion, I like this system. It let me have things to do expect for farming raids. besides, the story of WoD has backed to WoW history. You will feel exciting when you fight against those familiar Iron Horde bosses

krazyjwm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 krazyjwm
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

it never hurts to play it for a month or two just to find out if you still have the want and need to play it

ioanmosx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 ioanmosx
Member since 2006 • 28 Posts

no

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Going off the reactions of my friends (since I stopped before WoD came out,) not at all unless you REALLY want to play an MMO. Everyone I know that bought WoD stopped playing around January. They just weren't enjoying it. I got a free trial for it which I did use to try out some of the leveling content but nothing from the small bit I played made me want to come back.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BSC14

@ChubbyGuy40 said:

Going off the reactions of my friends (since I stopped before WoD came out,) not at all unless you REALLY want to play an MMO. Everyone I know that bought WoD stopped playing around January. They just weren't enjoying it. I got a free trial for it which I did use to try out some of the leveling content but nothing from the small bit I played made me want to come back.

That's strange because while garrisons are hit or miss with a lot of the community, the expansion for the most part has been well received.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

@BSC14 said:

That's strange because while garrisons are hit or miss with a lot of the community, the expansion for the most part has been well received.

I thought after initial usage for the first week or two, people considered garrisons nothing but a chore. A worse version of the farm from MoP. Seems like its only purpose is to get easy/free gold and gear with little to no effort. My best friend said his main complaint is that there's nothing to do besides level alts for more garrisons. When I think about it, outside of WoW focused websites I haven't seen anyone talk about WoW in a positive light. The launch period hype wore off I guess and we'll know for sure in a few days when quarterly reports are released.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BSC14

@ChubbyGuy40 said:
@BSC14 said:

I thought after initial usage for the first week or two, people considered garrisons nothing but a chore. A worse version of the farm from MoP. Seems like its only purpose is to get easy/free gold and gear with little to no effort. My best friend said his main complaint is that there's nothing to do besides level alts for more garrisons. When I think about it, outside of WoW focused websites I haven't seen anyone talk about WoW in a positive light. The launch period hype wore off I guess and we'll know for sure in a few days when quarterly reports are released.

I feel the same way about garrisons....bad idea all around imo. And yes for the power levelers there was not a whole lot of endgame at launch....I don't see that problem now though.

WoW's numbers are up and down all the time. Down before a new expansion, up at the expansion and then they kind of drop and level out after it's been out a while. No idea what it's numbers will be but I'm willing to bet this 10+ year old MMO still holds far more players than the others. But that said you won't get a number that's accurate in comparison because they made it possible to buy your monthly subscription with gold now....so really the quarterly report will be hard to gauge.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@BSC14 said:
@ChubbyGuy40 said:

Ummmm hell no, have you not seen the massive QQ since December on their official forums and even on mmo champion. I'd say WoD is better than MoP and Cata but that's not saying much.

-Pvp is still broken and Ashran failed the day it was released

-LFR is easier than heroic dungeons (not to mention the LFR gear looks like crap that you get from dungeons)

-Garrisons failed (sorry there is no hit and miss), it's a complete pain in the ass to save up resources (I believe the cap is 1200 something a week if you have a upgraded LM and the tree guy working the LM), if you have alts it feels like more of a chore than anything. Garrisons while cool on paper it just falls flat cause everyone's garrison is gonna look the same but with a few different buildings.

-Professions....holy crap they butchered the crap out of professions

The best thing that came with WoD is the character re designs....which they should of done years ago. I wouldn't even say WoW is the top 3 best MMO's on the market right now.

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

This is my opinion about MMORPGs in 2015. These games go through several changes but the core gameplay remains the same no matter what.

Ask yourself why you're thinking about returning and why did you leave in the first place?

I'd rather try something different than waste my time remembering why I unsubscribed. Note, it's much easier to return with friends than alone.

I loved World Warcraft and I can put it in my top 10 favorite games I've played over 25 years. But if you're feeling nostalgic about WoW or just MMORPGs; I'd leave them alone.