World of Warcraft account hacked!...Again. DX

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

So my World of Warcraft/Battle.net account has been hacked twice in the past two weeks. I changed the password for both my WoW account and email linked to the account. And I called Blizzard about this to see if they could do anything to stop whoever's hacking my account. They couldn't really do much other than restore one of my characters that was deleted by the hacker.

But the guy I talked to gave me some good advice. He told me that it looked like a keylogger was getting my password when I entered it. He told me to run a virus scan while WoW was running so I did. I ran Avast (free version) and it found ONE infected file. I'm not sure if it was the keylogger, but whatever it was, I got rid of it. It was somewhere in a Java folder under AppData. The virus was a file that had a combination of random letters and numbers in the name.

I also ordered an authenticator keychain, I hear that it really helps. Did I solve my problem? Or could there still be something else hidden on my computer? Should I try another anti-virus program other than Avast? (Most people say Avast is the best free anti-virus program.)

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

welcome to my world.. battle.net is so insecure the keychain code generator is about as useful as a regular keychain..

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
Reinstall your pc and use a VM or VPC for browsing, downloading, reading your emails and trying unsafe programs. That way your gaming machine is unaltered by any other programs.
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
Authenticator will solve your problem.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Authenticator fix everything

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
format your PC and reinstall your OS. I would have done it after the first time they got the password. Its the only sure way to get rid of the keylogger.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

You might want to try SpyWare Doctor with Antivirus. It always keeps me safe and i've never been the victim of a hacking attack since using it. Although it does tend to interfere with Steam games but WoW should be fine.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
authenticator will solve most of the problems you might have. However that dont give you a reason to act in a stupid way either for example dont download files that you dont trust even more exe files... Remember to use plugins to your browser to block ads, frames, "bad" links, certain scripts and so on. If you get a popup ad that say "virus scanning" close it with F4 as some ads tries to trick the user into pressing on a false close button. Remember to do virus scans and use ad-aware also.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
format your PC and reinstall your OS. I would have done it after the first time they got the password. Its the only sure way to get rid of the keylogger.bonafidetk
i've said a fair number of times in these threads - it's not always a keylogger! my battle.net account had a unique password that hadn't been used since 2005, when i stopped playing - two new PCs later (neither of which ever touched battle.net), my account was hijacked out of nowhere.
masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]format your PC and reinstall your OS. I would have done it after the first time they got the password. Its the only sure way to get rid of the keylogger.Makari
i've said a fair number of times in these threads - it's not always a keylogger! my battle.net account had a unique password that hadn't been used since 2005, when i stopped playing - two new PCs later (neither of which ever touched battle.net), my account was hijacked out of nowhere.

In 2005, passwords rules were really lax. Never use same name for account and character. Use as long as possible passwords which should not contain any known words (even 1337 is not enough) and uses at least 2 non alphanumeric char. Don't share your account, even with people you know (most of the time they are the ones who gets keyloggers on they pc). Use the supplied screen keyboard instead of typing on your own keyboard. Never post on forums or by instant messaging with your account name. Use secureid on top of that. If you're doing all that and you still get hacked, then you can assume that the company which supplies your account got hacked.
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

"My" way to keep safe (never been hacked!)

Use Firefox with AdBlockPlus and NoScript instead of Internet Explorer.
Use an antivirus program
Use a firewall program
Install Spybot Search and Destroy, immunize to add their list of sites to the host file, let TeaTimer run on startup.
When manually scanning, use MalwareBytes Antimalware, Spybot and Super AntiSpyware. Scan for rootkits with tdsskiller (if they find something, head over to bleepingcomputer.com, read their stickies and ask for advice).
Mix it up and use the ESET online scanner from time to time.
Make sure your wireless network is protected properly if you are using a wireless router.

If you find something, head over to some securitysite such as the one mentioned above!

So conclusion: Register at the site, and ask if you are infected, follow instructions. ???. Success!

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

welcome to my world.. battle.net is so insecure the keychain code generator is about as useful as a regular keychain..

ionusX

Indeed, it's so insecure that I haven't been hacked once since I started playing WoW, back in April 2005.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#14 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

I bet you can't hack through a key chain!

Oh wait, yes you can...no wonder its so easy then.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts

Run MalwareBytes to get rid of the Keylogger. I have played WoW for 5 years and never once had a problem, I have used Avast during that time. If you get Keylogged its your own fault I am afraid, its not a hacker specifically targeting you, its just you not being careful enough with spam/false Blizzard e mails and keeping your AV up to date end of. People who get Keylogged are the people who fall for dowmloading bad addons, clicking on unsafe logins and clicking on unsafe emails sent to them by bots, its not someone on the other end hacking you and only you.

Getting hacked would be someone going after you and attacking your PC head on and searching the PC, Keyloggers are not the case, they are usually just scripts installed on the PC by a virus that soak up all of the things you type then automate them back to people usually in China/Korea who just sit and wait for it to come to them.

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]format your PC and reinstall your OS. I would have done it after the first time they got the password. Its the only sure way to get rid of the keylogger.Makari

I stopped playing for about 3 months and got an e-mail from Blizzard saying I was banned for something a hacker did. I think they just send out that stuff to people that stopped playing to get them interested and playing again. It worked on me... lol.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Run MalwareBytes to get rid of the Keylogger. I have played WoW for 5 years and never once had a problem, I have used Avast during that time. If you get Keylogged its your own fault I am afraid, its not a hacker specifically targeting you, its just you not being careful enough with spam/false Blizzard e mails and keeping your AV up to date end of. People who get Keylogged are the people who fall for dowmloading bad addons, clicking on unsafe logins and clicking on unsafe emails sent to them by bots, its not someone on the other end hacking you and only you.

Getting hacked would be someone going after you and attacking your PC head on and searching the PC, Keyloggers are not the case, they are usually just scripts installed on the PC by a virus that soak up all of the things you type then automate them back to people usually in China/Korea who just sit and wait for it to come to them.

V4LENT1NE

I never downloaded a single add-on and I can tell which emails are bogus, so I delete all of those. So I have no idea how I could've gotten a keylogger on my computer in the first place.

But anyway, thanks for all the advice guys. I already ordered my authenticator keychain, that should help

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]

GeoffZak

I never downloaded a single add-on and I can tell which emails are bogus, so I delete all of those. So I have no idea how I could've gotten a keylogger on my computer in the first place.

But anyway, thanks for all the advice guys. I already ordered my authenticator keychain, that should help

You can get infected by visiting normal sites, thanks to ads. In fact, both wowhead and wowwiki have had malicious ads several times.

GreyViper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GreyViper
Member since 2004 • 122 Posts

Good antivirus is a must. I used to use virtual keyboard that came with Kaspersky when loging to WoW or WHO, no hacked account yet. As for malware two programs I can sugest, SpyBot Search amd Destroy and Ad-Aware.

Darkhell153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Darkhell153
Member since 2011 • 124 Posts

Step 1:

Get a good antivirus

Step 2:

Get a good firewall

Step 3:

Get a maleware and spyware removal tool (windows malicious software removal works for this)

Step 4:

If you're running windows, get the full service scan from Live Onecare (also removes viruses, spyware, etc.)

Step 5:

Make your password impossible to guess, use unique characters from other languages if you can. Just type something at random in notepad, capitalize a few things, cut out a few similar characters, shrink it down to the maximum size and write it down in a notebook (I have all my passwords written down in a notebook, and they're all something like 1oEf2vc9Ja or something equally without meaning :D (not a real password)

Step 6:

Stop downloading random .exe's from the internet >.> and watching malicious xxx websites.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Makari
[QUOTE="Makari"][QUOTE="bonafidetk"]format your PC and reinstall your OS. I would have done it after the first time they got the password. Its the only sure way to get rid of the keylogger.masterdrat

In 2005, passwords rules were really lax. Never use same name for account and character. Use as long as possible passwords which should not contain any known words (even 1337 is not enough) and uses at least 2 non alphanumeric char. Don't share your account, even with people you know (most of the time they are the ones who gets keyloggers on they pc). Use the supplied screen keyboard instead of typing on your own keyboard. Never post on forums or by instant messaging with your account name. Use secureid on top of that. If you're doing all that and you still get hacked, then you can assume that the company which supplies your account got hacked.

Since I've long since changed the password, here's what it was back then: _09YFnJ@l6plmPwB!A pretty okay as far as passwords go. there was no sharing, and the password was unique to that account, like everything was at the time. and as mentioned, i stopped playing about 10 months after launch, and soon after replaced my PC wholesale and didn't have cause to log in with that account anywhere afterward. i got notification that my account was banned five years later or so, couldn't log in, and had to go through the whole account recovery process via the phone. when i got it back, my WoW account had a trial activated on it, and most of my old characters were filled with mining gear and otherwise stripped naked. i'm still somewhat curious how they got in, honestly!
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

ionusX
Battle.net is as secure as Steam, this world you're talking about doesn't exist, you always make up such nonsense in any WoW thread just because at some point in the last several years you played WoW a little and apparently you were a prick towards an employee that acted accordingly. Install Ad Aware free, might be some undetected spyware, you might also want to try another anti virus like AVG, nobody has just "one" single infected file, there are certain files from games and other apps that get labeled as suspicious for no reason so there would be more than just one even if you're PC is 100% clean. I have no idea what limitations Kaspersky free has, but that is the best anti virus available, free should be good for one full scan. Offended? tough luck, this will continue to be here till your post either disappears or I get permanently banned. Apparently these days truth is against the rules and trolling is enforced
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
.. If you have a authenticator and are not stupid (like giving out your account info to any one, downloading and visiting questionable sites..
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Makari
.. If you have a authenticator and are not stupid (like giving out your account info to any one, downloading and visiting questionable sites.. sSubZerOo
and yeah, after that whole mess i signed up for the authenticator, even though i don't really play the games. as long as blizzard doesn't pull an RSA and get their authenticators compromised, that should make your account pretty much invulnerable to unauthorized access.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I am well aware people use Avast free edition. My recommendation would be to change to another anti-virus since you're having problems. I like Avira. It's better than all the free anti-viruses I've used and I've used all the free ones and paid ones you could think of. Change your password and make it stronger. Use all precautions that you can think of. The Authenticator is worth a shot. Enjoy World of Warcraft.
fm_coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fm_coyote
Member since 2003 • 952 Posts

ionusX
Clearly you know nothing of how it works.