Witcher 3 to be open world RPG

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

innominatus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 innominatus2
Member since 2011 • 52 Posts

CD Project RED has released Cyberpunk 2077 teaser. As probably most people arleady know there is a hidden message in it. The relevant fragment:

"We are about to reveal our other project which is much closer to being completed and yes, it will also be a fully open-world game with an intense story. You can probably guess the game we're talking about. On the 5th of February it will all be clear." gamespot

I must say i am really disapointed. I always prefered story centered RPG over open world ones. Must every RPG be the same? I really like the fact Skyrim and Witcher go different paths, and i admittedly prefer the twisted and extremly branching storyline of W2. This is the approach i like, and whats more, i like the have the choice what kind of RPG i play. I like endless debates on forums which approach (linear story or open world) is better and makes "truer" RPG.

The experience shows, that open world cames at a price of the depth of the presented world and the story. Simply, it is neccesary to create a lot of content, that is essentially irrelevant to the plot, driving away time and resources from main story.

In the end i feels like CD ProjectRED is a greedy corporation just like everybody else. Skyrim outselled Witcher 2, we make a game like Skyrim. As if Witcher 2 was an inferior game. It definetaly isn't, it is merely different. I could understand people behind Dragon Age 2 following Skyrim example, as Dragon Age 2 was generally a disapointment, But W2 was triple A game, that won a lot of praise ( and money), and on few sites IRC it even won best RPG awards over Skyrim.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

I dunno. Open world means different things to different people. I can't imagine them being able to pull off as great a story or atmosphere as The Witcher 1 or 2 in a true open world game like Elder Scrolls or GTA. Just have to wait and see, I guess. I'm not glad, but not disappointed yet either.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
It says it will have an intense story. And yet you are still disappointed. Good Lord, people sometimes are.... just.... ugh.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Yes, as long as they don't f*ck it up and try to make it like a Bethesda game. Luckily they would REALLY have to f*ck it up to do that much damage.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
Hopefully by open world they mean 1 interconnected enduring world akin to the Zelda games rather than a sprawling sandbox. If that is what they mean then I can totally see it working along with story.
innominatus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 innominatus2
Member since 2011 • 52 Posts
It says it will have an intense story. And yet you are still disappointed. Good Lord, people sometimes are.... just.... ugh.funsohng
It is simply beacause i don't belive it is possible to keep all that is good about Witcher series, and add TES-style open world on top of it. And i would rather keep what made witcher series so good.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#7 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I dunno. Open world means different things to different people. I can't imagine them being able to pull off as great a story or atmosphere as The Witcher 1 or 2 in a true open world game like Elder Scrolls or GTA. Just have to wait and see, I guess. I'm not glad, but not disappointed yet either.

guynamedbilly
Why not? Skyrim has a main story line as did all of the ones before it, why can't the Witcher? The Witcher without imaginary walls? Count me in.
dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dracolich55
Member since 2010 • 2343 Posts
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]

vfibsux
Why not? Skyrim has a main story line as did all of the ones before it, why can't the Witcher? The Witcher without imaginary walls? Count me in.

Do you think Skyrim's story can compare to The Witcher? Also open world can mean many things- maybe it just means you will be free to explore the area you are currently in like The Witcher 1, TW2 had really small areas compared to TW2 though IMO.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

The Witcher 3 will most likely have to cover a few different wars across a few different kingdoms/empires, so...I guess an open-world model makes more sense? Maybe?
Perhaps they just mean that Geralt can travel between huge areas at will, rather than being dragged from location to location by the story.

Hm... Still, it's CDPR. If they have some good ideas for an open-world RPG, then I'd love to see them.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Open world wouldn't be too hard for them. They might just make a central hub that brances out kinda like the two areas in Act 2 (which ever path you choose).

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
[QUOTE="funsohng"]It says it will have an intense story. And yet you are still disappointed. Good Lord, people sometimes are.... just.... ugh.innominatus2
It is simply beacause i don't belive it is possible to keep all that is good about Witcher series, and add TES-style open world on top of it. And i would rather keep what made witcher series so good.

Open world doesn't mean The Elder Scrolls. GTA4 and RDR had good story despite being open world. And besides, The Witcher was pretty much open world in each chapter. Chapter 3 of the first Witcher had pretty big map to explore. The Chapter 2 of first Witcher had the quests in a way that if you proceed in certain way and order, you would reach different conclusion in the autopsy. It would be like that, just making it bigger scale. It would be hard. But I have confidence that CD Projekt will manage it.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
why not ? Witcher 1 had the open world feeling ( though it was still story driven ) and was great. Actually even though i loved both games i liked Witcher 1 due to have more areas to explore and a bit less linear approach compared to Witcher 2
Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts
I just hope it won't be as short as W2.
Virkhus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 Virkhus
Member since 2007 • 28 Posts

Elderscrolls open world + Witcher story = best game ever. CDPR has taken what Bioware did, and did it far better, maybe they can do the same for Bethesda. I have faith.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

guynamedbilly

I wouldm´t call GTA open world. GTA was practically a set of missions where you could choose the order in which you want to tackle them. Missions were quite linear and didn´t over multiple approaches.

For me, open world and sand box are not the same thing.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

It can still be story based progression and open world. I hope what he means is like Zelda, just with more RPG elements and sidequests you expect from an RPG like the Witcher (Only played a bit of 1).

So if this is like a super RPG heavy Zelda (not TES) it will be awesome! :)

AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AcidThunder
Member since 2010 • 2332 Posts

as long as the game is better (or even on the same level for that matter) than witcher 2, i don't really care if it is open world or not

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]

jhonMalcovich

I wouldm´t call GTA open world. GTA was practically a set of missions where you could choose the order in which you want to tackle them. Missions were quite linear and didn´t over multiple approaches.

For me, open world and sand box are not the same thing.

Sandbox is a variation of open world. I consider all these games open world

Just Cause 2

GTA series

Assassins Creed

Saints Row

TES series

Zelda Series

Metroid Series

Diablo series

Tales of Symphonia, Vesperia, and others

Paper Mario series

Banjo Kazooie series

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
A step in the right direction but I doubt I'll enjoy the new Witcher anyways. Their focus on story is a real turn off for me and both the originals bored me to tears.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Could work. On the contrary to developers like Bethesda, CD Projekt are excellent worldbuilders and creators of interactive environments with rich written narrative details - Bethesda are stronger at creating lots of systems all interacting and opportunities for players to play with the world. They're really in a class of their own, far ahead of Bioware and Bethesda combined. Obsidian is probably the closest to them in some ways. However open world design is a hard thing to do well, so we shall see - even if there's signs of it in TW and TW2's hubs.
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

They couldn't even do a linear video game properly and now they will try open world. Well maybe they will be better suited to an openworld game but it's quite an undertaking. I honestly think the developers are not good enough, they're good but just no where close to good as they think. And they're obviously going after the " $ " after witnessing the success of the Skyrim.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23903 Posts

As long as it is done right it doesnt matter.

But if it becomes one of those open world games with awfully repetitive environments, quality over quanitity design, game design that does not take advantage of open world, 500 uninspired quests and the fact that every department of the game sucks because of the open world. Then This is terrible news.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Definitely like it, one thing TW2 was lacking was a bigger world. It was sad to be limited in such a fantastic world

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Was the witcher 1 bascially open world. As long as the story is good and they keep the combat from the witcher 2.0 idc.

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

The witcher 2 had some stunning looking locations, the forest around flotsam was beautiful and looked natural but was quite small, if they can make an openworld game with a forest looking like that and not like randomly place trees and shrubs you get in other openworld games then I'd be quite happy

I'd love to be able to take Geralt out onto huge grass lands on horse and see those mysterious looking woods on the horizon

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kieran88
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts
Can't wait for the reveal, I absolutely love the witcher series - I hope they do another amazing special edition.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NaveedLife

But if it becomes one of those open world games with awfully repetitive environments, quality over quanitity design, game design that does not take advantage of open world, 500 uninspired quests and the fact that every department of the game sucks because of the open world. Then This is terrible news.

Maroxad

Thats why I hope it is more like a Zelda world, though likely decently bigger than msot Zelda worlds. The Witcher doesnt strike me as a TES kind of game and as you said, having massive areas that all feel the same with tons of repetitive quests is boring.

I'd love to be able to take Geralt out onto huge grass lands on horse and see those mysterious looking woods on the horizon

Supabul

Describing my hope for Zelda WiiU ;).

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kieran88

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

NaveedLife

Thats why I hope it is more like a Zelda world, though likely decently bigger than msot Zelda worlds. The Witcher doesnt strike me as a TES kind of game and as you said, having massive areas that all feel the same with tons of repetitive quests is boring.

I think you're right that it'll be a more focused world like zelda.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
I hope they improve the combat and the ui... Oh and make a real CE this time and not that trash that we got... The base game was nice... The CE was pure junk =(
Avatar image for deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
Member since 2005 • 1890 Posts

Hope that they don't change too much, Witcher 2 was perfect, the only complaint I had was that there wasn't more of it.

And they better not dumb it down like Bioware did to the mass effect series and dragon age.

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kieran88
[QUOTE="KalDurenik"]I hope they improve the combat and the ui... Oh and make a real CE this time and not that trash that we got... The base game was nice... The CE was pure junk =(

I loved the CE, but I'm a big fan of high quality artbooks and would of bought it for that alone.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#32 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I suppose it could work, so long as the quests and missions remain focused.

Release date is planned for 2015, right?

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KalDurenik
[QUOTE="kieran88"][QUOTE="KalDurenik"]I hope they improve the combat and the ui... Oh and make a real CE this time and not that trash that we got... The base game was nice... The CE was pure junk =(

I loved the CE, but I'm a big fan of high quality artbooks and would of bought it for that alone.

I guess you did not get a broken box and a broken head thing =( The plastic that held the items was smashed into pieces... The head had some damage and everything was covered in some kind of black dust. But yes the art book is nice but the CE was expensive (atleast here) for me.
kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kieran88
[QUOTE="KalDurenik"][QUOTE="kieran88"][QUOTE="KalDurenik"]I hope they improve the combat and the ui... Oh and make a real CE this time and not that trash that we got... The base game was nice... The CE was pure junk =(

I guess you did not get a broken box and a broken head thing =( The plastic that held the items was smashed into pieces... The head had some damage and everything was covered in some kind of black dust. But yes the art book is nice but the CE was expensive (atleast here) for me.

Oh man that sucks, sorry to hear it. Yeah to be fair, it was pretty expensive too but I felt the items were high enough quality to warrant it, I guess they need to improve the packaging tho - I didnt know there were problems like that but looking at the black plastic now it does seem a bit flimsy (luckily mine is in one piece).
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts
Well, the story aspect of a game and the open-world aspect are mutually exclusive. Just because it's in a sandbox doesn't mean the story has to disappear. :P
Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Moloch121
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts
Well, the story aspect of a game and the open-world aspect are mutually exclusive. Just because it's in a sandbox doesn't mean the story has to disappear. :PMcspanky37
This. Fallout 2 is still the best sandbox game I've ever played. If offers ALOT in terms of gameplay by having an open world game and I am for one am excited so far CDProjekt has proved they can make an amazing story with fun gameplay. I also hope with CDProjekt embracing open world and sandbox that they can sell as much as Bethesda minus the crap gameplay and writing.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Hopefully CD Projeckt will do a good job, It could be that the quests are still linear but you have the option of exploring, like Far Cry 3.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KalDurenik
[QUOTE="kieran88"][QUOTE="KalDurenik"][QUOTE="kieran88"] I loved the CE, but I'm a big fan of high quality artbooks and would of bought it for that alone.

Oh man that sucks, sorry to hear it. Yeah to be fair, it was pretty expensive too but I felt the items were high enough quality to warrant it, I guess they need to improve the packaging tho - I didnt know there were problems like that but looking at the black plastic now it does seem a bit flimsy (luckily mine is in one piece).

Well they should have a + because they sent replacements out(most publishers / devs would not do this) and i got a witcher medalion... But still would be nice if had not happened in the first place.
kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kieran88
[QUOTE="KalDurenik"][QUOTE="kieran88"][QUOTE="KalDurenik"] I guess you did not get a broken box and a broken head thing =( The plastic that held the items was smashed into pieces... The head had some damage and everything was covered in some kind of black dust. But yes the art book is nice but the CE was expensive (atleast here) for me.

Well they should have a + because they sent replacements out(most publishers / devs would not do this) and i got a witcher medalion... But still would be nice if had not happened in the first place.

Oh sweet, that's pretty cool.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Nope, not glad, you can't have immersive worlds, make a great atmosphere combined with a great story in an open world environment, not unless it's R*, even if CDPR makes quality games, they're still a small team, not even the try hard Bethesda is able to make all those elements at as high standards as Witcher 1 and 2 did and they take prinde in making "quality" dialogues and stories, with "quality" quests in an open world environment.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#41 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
I just hope it won't be as short as W2.Nighteg
30+ hours is short?
NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#42 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

I still need to play the first Witcher game. I really want to take a break from shooters

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 omenodebander
Member since 2004 • 1401 Posts

If you can point to me the part where CDP said, "we want to make it like skyrim", then ok, if not, this thread is stupid. why? becuase you flat out said that CDPR is greedy and whatnot, as if you've somehow magically played the game. A game not even close to release.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

My body is ready

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Im just worried about it becoming Skyrim. One "open world" game I loved was Divinity 2. That game rocked. Skyrim was ALSO amazing before it started crashing around Riften BUT it also had a little TOO many quests for my tastes. The Witcher 2 got it or is getting it just right for me. Not too many missions and the world is relevant. Thats how it was in Divinity 2. Every part of the map mattered and if there were extra places to go it was for treasure and loot. I loved that game. Those who liked the Witcher 2 should pick up Divinity 2 Directors Cut too.
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

If they plan to make it open world " like Skyrim then hopefully they give the world life and offer plenty of things to do. Lest you go crawling around dungeons that look alike looking for loot that you don't even need.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I hope they improve the combat and the ui... KalDurenik

I couldn't agree more. The combat in both Witcher games was terrible and while I've never hidden the fact that I'm not a fan of cinematic story-telling in RPGs, at least CDPR doesn't go full Simple Jack like some other developers.

I think I liked the idea (and the company) behind The Witcher games more than the actual games themselves. Both were a bit of a struggle for me to complete.

dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dracolich55
Member since 2010 • 2343 Posts
[QUOTE="Nighteg"]I just hope it won't be as short as W2.mitu123
30+ hours is short?

I takes me about 30 hours for me to beat the game, finish most sidequests except maybe 1 or 2, acquire the best armour (Vran) and best swords (the silver sword that starts will a Z and Camella). Compare that to The Witcher 1 in which it took me 54 hours to beat, and I think I missed more sidequests than in The Witcher 1.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

[QUOTE="KalDurenik"]I hope they improve the combat and the ui... -wildflower-

I couldn't agree more. The combat in both Witcher games was terrible and while I've never hidden the fact that I'm not a fan of cinematic story-telling in RPGs, at least CDPR doesn't go full Simple Jack like some other developers.

I think I liked the idea (and the company) behind The Witcher games more than the actual games themselves. Both were a bit of a struggle for me to complete.

The combat was great in Witcher 2 at Dark Mode difficulty. You have to use all the powers intelligently. I agree it's poor at the lower difficulty. You might try it on Dark mode.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
[QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="Nighteg"]I just hope it won't be as short as W2.dracolich55
30+ hours is short?

I takes me about 30 hours for me to beat the game, finish most sidequests except maybe 1 or 2, acquire the best armour (Vran) and best swords (the silver sword that starts will a Z and Camella). Compare that to The Witcher 1 in which it took me 54 hours to beat, and I think I missed more sidequests than in The Witcher 1.

The first had way more "fetch" quests and time sinks though. I'd much rather have quality than quantity.