Witcher 2 combat hard ? Don't make me laugh

This topic is locked from further discussion.

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 beganoo
Member since 2009 • 1642 Posts

Just finished the game and I did enjoy it quite a bit but what I don't get is all the people that say the game is as hard as Deamon Soul or nonsense like that.

Just to make it clear, i played on normal without using any guieds, walkthroughs ect.

What I did:

1. Level up quen.

2. Recast it wen it runs out.

3. Mash RMB

4. Profit.

I'm not exadurating, this is pretty much all you need to do.Use quen and mash right mouse button.I wasn't evet trying,it was that easy.

The only hard part combatwise in the game including all bosses and enemies was the operator who is in a optional quest and also its optional to fight him to finish this optional quest... so yeah.

The challenge in this game game comes from all the cryptic **** wen you have no idea what to do.Like that quest "Gargoyle contract" for example.That quest must be the stupedist quest i've seen in an RPG in a long time tbh.It anoyed me a to a boil.

Anyway, good game.Graphix were the ****.Story was good.Pretty easy combat but still fun.

Don't see how this PC exclusive is any worst then the most console exclusives that come out these days. (i game mostly on consoles btw)

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts
If you only played the game recently, you were probably playing the patched version of the game which made the early battles a lot easier (most people were calling *those* hard, and they were). But yes, if you spam quen you can get through just about anything unscathed.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
Mhmm, the combat borderlines cheap, rather than actually difficult, on Hard, it's just tedious, too simple to be any fun.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Yeah. Only had a few troubles like the battle with Letho.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

Played the game with no patches/earlier ones ( later on ). Always on 'normal'. Still get Witchor fanboys trying to turn everything negative I say about the game into a "you probably thought the game was too hard" argument.

I don't doubt that these are the same people who would get a 2:11 win/loss ratio in any moderately complex online RTS.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SkyWard20

Mhmm, the combat borderlines cheap, rather than actually difficult, on Hard, it's just tedious, too simple to be any fun.Inconsistancy

All you have to do is market a game to the 'harcore' kiddies, give them some uber high exclusive difficulty setting, and let them confuse themselves trying to figure out the difference between difficulty and complexity.

Just look at Gothic/Risen. Most of the time you only fight with two mouse buttons and a few spells thrown in, but it suddenly becomes 'hardcore' because the developers figured out they could make the player character die in three hits.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SkyWard20

Just finished the game and I did enjoy it quite a bit but what I don't get is all the people that say the game is as hard as Deamon Soul or nonsense like that.

Just to make it clear, i played on normal without using any guieds, walkthroughs ect.

What I did:

1. Level up quen.

3. Mash RMB

4. Profit.

I'm not exadurating, this is pretty much all you need to do.Use quen and mash right mouse button.I wasn't evet trying,it was that easy.

The only hard part combatwise in the game including all bosses and enemies was the operator who is in a optional quest and also its optiona to fight him to finish this optional the quest... so yeah.

The challenge in this game game comes from all the cryptic **** wen you have no idea what to do.Like that quest "Gargoyle contract" for example.That quest must be the stupedist quest i've seen in an RPG in a long time tbh.It anoyed me a to a boil.

Anyway, good game.Graphix were the ****.Story was good.Pretty easy combat but still fun.

Don't see how this PC exclusive is any worst then the most console exclusives that come out these days. (i game mostly on consoles btw)

beganoo

The problem is that the whole game is extremely unbalanced in so many ways, like the Quen.

"CD Projekt seems to love telling players to do something, but not how to do it. Much of the game is more a case of, 'Try to guess what the developers were thinking,' than anything involving skill or intelligence."

Also:

"If you spam your shield spell and unlock finishing moves, regular fights go from almost impossible to an insulting joke. It seems CD Projekt couldn't strike the right balance between character development and challenge, so just didn't bother. This is evidenced in the boss fights, which often rely on guesswork in order to beat, as players figure out the one convoluted, obscure strategy required in order to win. There's no challenge in that, it's just throwing s**** at a wall and seeing what sticks."

-- Destructoid

Avatar image for deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
deactivated-5e376fa88bd45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
Member since 2004 • 4403 Posts

I don't doubt that these are the same people who would get a 2:11 win/loss ratio in any moderately complex online RTS.

SkyWard20

You are just THAT petty aren't you.

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts

Once you get quen super powerful and 200% roll distance you are basically invincible :P

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Yea, if you do it that way its easy, i just replayed and beat the game with all my points in alchemy. It was quite a bit more challenging.

Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts
Don't care what you call it. The prologue fights were INSANELY hard. On normal.
MCL0789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MCL0789
Member since 2011 • 80 Posts

So TW2 is the new flavor of the month for insulting a great game just to seem that much cooler?

Cool story bro! I'll be playing an awesome game and you can go back to whining about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 29121994
Member since 2008 • 1166 Posts
I thought the start was a bit difficult too, since i played that before they patched it. I had to set the game to "easy", having not played an RPG in ages. I turned it back to "normal" relatively soon afterwards though and i didn't really have much trouble. I just made sure i crafted good weapons and scavenged for items, upgraded my vigor to the max and i was good through to the end. I didn't even use the Quen sign all that much.
Avatar image for Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Member since 2010 • 822 Posts

[QUOTE="SkyWard20"]

doanm

You are just THAT petty aren't you.

Id ignore him, He isnt worth the energy.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

The problem is that the whole game is extremely unbalanced in so many ways, like the Quen.

"CD Projekt seems to love telling players to do something, but not how to do it. Much of the game is more a case of, 'Try to guess what the developers were thinking,' than anything involving skill or intelligence."

Also:

"If you spam your shield spell and unlock finishing moves, regular fights go from almost impossible to an insulting joke. It seems CD Projekt couldn't strike the right balance between character development and challenge, so just didn't bother. This is evidenced in the boss fights, which often rely on guesswork in order to beat, as players figure out the one convoluted, obscure strategy required in order to win. There's no challenge in that, it's just throwing s**** at a wall and seeing what sticks."

-- Destructoid

SkyWard20

-Uhhhh...ok? How is trying to guess what the developers were thinking differnt from skill or intelligence? Sorry but this isn't a multiplayer game were you would require skill and intelligence. I'd much rather have scripted fights that "try to figure out what the developer was thinking," rather than them just throwing in moves they use at random.

-You mean just like DA:O where half way through the game it was an absolute joke even on Nightmare and the game became a spamfest? Plus, didn't they just say you have to figure out what the developer wants you to figure out, but are saying it's just random guesswork? Does Jim even read half of the material he puts out?

Plus, we all know Destructoid's a big pile of dog **** when it comes to reviews, ESPECIALLY when it's Jim "Lard-O" Sterling. Maybe you should find a more credible source of reviews before attempting to bash the game that kicked the crap out of your precious DA series.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
The prologue fights were difficult, you basically can't block incoming attacks, etc, etc, apart from that, not that much, but still...fun.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SkyWard20

[QUOTE="SkyWard20"]

Also:

-- Destructoid

ChubbyGuy40

-Uhhhh...ok? How is trying to guess what the developers were thinking differnt from skill or intelligence? Sorry but this isn't a multiplayer game were you would require skill and intelligence. I'd much rather have scripted fights that "try to figure out what the developer was thinking," rather than them just throwing in moves they use at random.

-You mean just like DA:O where half way through the game it was an absolute joke even on Nightmare and the game became a spamfest? Plus, didn't they just say you have to figure out what the developer wants you to figure out, but are saying it's just random guesswork? Does Jim even read half of the material he puts out?

Plus, we all know Destructoid's a big pile of dog **** when it comes to reviews, ESPECIALLY when it's Jim "Lard-O" Sterling. Maybe you should find a more credible source of reviews before attempting to bash the game that kicked the crap out of your precious DA series.

Classy.

It's fairly easy to understand his review though. For most people, at least.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
Especially when you upgrade roll to the highest, the game is a piece of cake.
Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#19 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

I thought the combat was cheap rather than difficult, especially the operator.

I was wondering what the devs were thinking. I had really high hopes for that game but the controls and combat were pretty disappointing imo (the story too).

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts

Also:

-- Destructoid

SkyWard20

I enjoyed how you knew you were quoting the biggest troll review on the internet, but continued to post it anyway. Stay c|assy, SkyWard!

Anyway, rather than posting a ton of other quotes that contradict that, I could just quote Destructoid:

"Patch 1.3 for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a hefty one. [...] As these patches add up, this game is going to be increasingly difficult to put off."

Apparently this new patch has...
- nerfed/rebalanced Quen
- altered the Kayren fight so that it is clear where the player needs to go (not that that was a problem for anyone but Jim Sterling, apparently)
- added in item storage
- added better map pins to the more vague quests
- improved the inventory system
- added in a wider array of screen resolutions
- added in an option to replay animated sequences whenever you like
- made mutagens more useful and less common
- further improved the difficulty curve and other annoyances of the prologue
- various tweaks and bug-fixes
...and added in another quest to boot.

Doesn't that address most of the complaints you had about the game? If not, you should probably send any extra ones you had along to them, since they seem dead-set on making the players happy.

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

If you fully upgrade quen, finishing moves,and roll distance you will be unstoppable.

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 beganoo

So TW2 is the new flavor of the month for insulting a great game just to seem that much cooler?

Cool story bro! I'll be playing an awesome game and you can go back to whining about it.

MCL0789

What are you talking about? I beat the game and I'm giving my opinion of it.Got a problem with that?Also its not like I'm calling it a bad game. As I said in my 1st post that I did enjoy it quite abit.

.Honestely if someone is looking for a great combat system in an RPG he should play Deamons Souls.It beats TW2 in that category any day.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Way to brag about beating a game on normal difficulty. Also Witcher 2 is not a PC exclusive. Everything about the game scream console. Witcher 2 is clearly being designed for the Xbox360. PC release is basically a beta release for the Xbox360...

Also, It's spelled, "Demon's Souls". Which by the way isn't difficult, either. The Royal start makes Demon's Souls just as easy, with it's Soul Bolt everything. Also, no one says it's as hard as Demon's Souls, it's just the closest simularly of gameplay. Right next to Jade Empire, Which too had extremely easy gameplay once you figured out how to use the special attacks followed by a regular attack....

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 beganoo

Way to brag about beating a game on normal difficulty. Also Witcher 2 is not a PC exclusive. Everything about the game scream console. Witcher 2 is clearly being designed for the Xbox360. PC release is basically a beta release for the Xbox360...

Also, It's spelled, "Demon's Souls". Which by the way isn't difficult, either. The Royal start makes Demon's Souls just as easy, with it's Soul Bolt everything. Also, no one says it's as hard as Demon's Souls, it's just the closest simularly of gameplay. Right next to Jade Empire, Which too had extremely easy gameplay once you figured out how to use the special attacks followed by a regular attack....

Threesixtyci

I'm not braging, its just hilarious to me that some people were calling the game hard.

Also, Demons Souls might be somewhat easy if you know exactly what you're doing but it still requires skill and practise to get that good.Its combat is very well designed and its nothing like the brain dead combat of TW2.

Anyway, thanks for the spellcheck.Give my Bulgarian english teacher a call and tell her what terrible job she did.Actually, maybe I was just sleeping in clas*?Can't remember,was learing two foreigner languages at the time.How many foreigner languages do you speak btw ?

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Inconsistancy

Threesixtyci

"Everything about the game screams console."

When it comes to gameplay, in actiony melee games, console games are actually extremely far ahead in depth and fun over PC actiony melee games, so really, it's combat screams 'run of the mill pc combat'. RPG's are often, in general, culprits of bad gameplay, focusing on stats 'n such, but at the cost of any fun to be had in combat. So, it's just a combination of the two weakest areas in melee combat, pc and rpg.

-----

@beganoo and your English, it's good! But, could you toss a space after all of your punctuations? :D

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Threesixtyci

When it comes to gameplay, in actiony melee games, console games are actually extremely far ahead in depth and fun over PC actiony melee games, so really, it's combat screams 'run of the mill pc combat'. RPG's are often, in general, culprits of bad gameplay, focusing on stats 'n such, but at the cost of any fun to be had in combat. So, it's just a combination of the two weakest areas in melee combat, pc and rpg.

Inconsistancy

My Xbox360 statement was in response to the last sentence of the OP.
As for melee mechanics, I suggest giving Mount And Blade: Warband a try.

r4v3gl0ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#27 r4v3gl0ry
Member since 2006 • 1285 Posts

Don't care what you call it. The prologue fights were INSANELY hard. On normal.Nighteg

No, they weren't. It's a matter of positioning and priorities. It's like Dragon Age: choose who you want to attack first...the stronger enemies or the weaker, more annoying ones. Make one mistake and a 30 second battle becomes a 3 to 4 minute battle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

[QUOTE="SkyWard20"]

Also:

-- Destructoid

Planeforger

I enjoyed how you knew you were quoting the biggest troll review on the internet, but continued to post it anyway. Stay c|assy, SkyWard!

Anyway, rather than posting a ton of other quotes that contradict that, I could just quote Destructoid:

"Patch 1.3 for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a hefty one. [...] As these patches add up, this game is going to be increasingly difficult to put off."

Apparently this new patch has...
- nerfed/rebalanced Quen
- altered the Kayren fight so that it is clear where the player needs to go (not that that was a problem for anyone but Jim Sterling, apparently)
- added in item storage
- added better map pins to the more vague quests
- improved the inventory system
- added in a wider array of screen resolutions
- added in an option to replay animated sequences whenever you like
- made mutagens more useful and less common
- further improved the difficulty curve and other annoyances of the prologue
- various tweaks and bug-fixes
...and added in another quest to boot.

Doesn't that address most of the complaints you had about the game? If not, you should probably send any extra ones you had along to them, since they seem dead-set on making the players happy.

seems like a good patch, may have to actually finish it now.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

[QUOTE="Nighteg"]Don't care what you call it. The prologue fights were INSANELY hard. On normal.r4v3gl0ry

No, they weren't. It's a matter of positioning and priorities. It's like Dragon Age: choose who you want to attack first...the stronger enemies or the weaker, more annoying ones. Make one mistake and a 30 second battle becomes a 3 to 4 minute battle.

Yeah. Just use Quen and dodge and youre good. This game seems to be like Stalker where the longer you play it, the easier it gets.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Mhmm, the combat borderlines cheap, rather than actually difficult, on Hard, it's just tedious, too simple to be any fun.Inconsistancy
I must agree with this. The combat isn't hard at all, it's just damn cheap. When 2-3 enemies corner you, you're pretty much screwed unless you rolled out in time and there's really no way to get out of that situation with 2 out of 3 heavy armored troops. Also given you run out of spell bar(s) too. That's just one scenario, but there are times that the A.I. and combat demonstrates unruly tactics.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]Mhmm, the combat borderlines cheap, rather than actually difficult, on Hard, it's just tedious, too simple to be any fun.Elann2008

I must agree with this. The combat isn't hard at all, it's just damn cheap. When 2-3 enemies corner you, you're pretty much screwed unless you rolled out in time and there's really no way to get out of that situation with 2 out of 3 heavy armored troops. Also given you run out of spell bar(s) too. That's just one scenario, but there are times that the A.I. and combat demonstrates unruly tactics.

I think combat is boring unless I get groups to fight more than one or one powerful one. Like those spider queens at the beginning of the game, when you're doing the side quest to clear out the nests. Even abusing the hell out of Quen, it was almost impossble to get behind her and strike because she moves way to fast. I had to block efficiently, time quens and other signs, ect. The only CHEAP thing about the combat is when you're fighting something like that and somehow aggro another mob. I don't see why this game has respawning enemies anyway. I reload a save because I failed at that spider queen, and the mobs I killed before saving are back!

To me, this is brutal. You should be getting taken down by 2-3 mobs. I know we're a badass swordsman, but until gameplay manages to evolve to the point where we can slash throats (Wiimote controls! :P) then this is how it should be. This is not cheap. Cheap would be to make everything vastly overpowered (despite what people say, it is. Just L2P and the game, even in the beginning, is not hard at all.)

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Inconsistancy

I think combat is boring unless I get groups to fight more than one or one powerful one. Like those spider queens at the beginning of the game, when you're doing the side quest to clear out the nests. Even abusing the hell out of Quen, it was almost impossble to get behind her and strike because she moves way to fast. I had to block efficiently, time quens and other signs, ect. The only CHEAP thing about the combat is when you're fighting something like that and somehow aggro another mob. I don't see why this game has respawning enemies anyway. I reload a save because I failed at that spider queen, and the mobs I killed before saving are back!

To me, this is brutal. You should be getting taken down by 2-3 mobs. I know we're a badass swordsman, but until gameplay manages to evolve to the point where we can slash throats (Wiimote controls! :P) then this is how it should be. This is not cheap. Cheap would be to make everything vastly overpowered (despite what people say, it is. Just L2P and the game, even in the beginning, is not hard at all.)

ChubbyGuy40

There isn't a need for gameplay to evolve, or utilize WiiMote style gimmickry, RPG's just need to put proper focus on the combat, I'm going to use examples that WILL be taken out of context, Bayonetta/DMC, That's good combat, and it offers you the ability to deal with large or small mobs and different quantities of them dynamically and has responsive controls.

Suppose the ME series can be used as an example as well, but it's a different genre, rpg-tps vs something I'd categorize as rpg-beat 'em up.

TW2 is about as responsive as... that one woman, who had that sever brain damage, where the was an argument about marriage and for her to be taken off life support... who ever that was. And it's combat is pretty mediocre, shallow and slow. I don't enjoy it's clunky targeting, combined with mindless boring single button spam.

I don't think it should be That over the top, like dmc/bayo, wouldn't fit the style of the game, but it should have been much smoother and had some hint of depth in it and maybe tone down the realism, in favor of funism. I know the devs said they didn't want that type of 'ninja gaideney' (i'm pretty sure they were talking about ninja gaiden at one point, along with demon's souls) combat, where it was more focused on skill/FUN rather than stats, but why? Why do stats have to ruin gameplay?

Can't the balance be, "I love gameplay, so I ignore stats" And "I'm terrible, so I stack stats to carry me" rather than one or the other?

And, ~@'just l2p... it's not even hard', yes, the difficulty setting is actually, a tedium setting, I started on hard, and lowered it to easy due to boredom and just wanting to get through it quickly.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]Mhmm, the combat borderlines cheap, rather than actually difficult, on Hard, it's just tedious, too simple to be any fun.ChubbyGuy40

According to this, you just called Demon's Souls cheap? I never said TW2 was hard, I said it was cheap in certain ways... BIG difference. :roll:

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ChubbyGuy40

According to this, you just called Demon's Souls cheap? I never said TW2 was hard, I said it was cheap in certain ways... BIG difference. :roll:

Elann2008

It was targeted towards the TC, not you.

And if that's all Demon's Soul is, just overpowered...I'm sorry that's not hard. That is cheap. Just making thing do more damage or giving them abilities you can't block is cheap. If it's just like, oh say Halo's Legendary mode where all it does is just make them hit harder and have more health...that's not hard.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ChubbyGuy40

There isn't a need for gameplay to evolve, or utilize WiiMote style gimmickry, RPG's just need to put proper focus on the combat, I'm going to use examples that WILL be taken out of context, Bayonetta/DMC, That's good combat, and it offers you the ability to deal with large or small mobs and different quantities of them dynamically and has responsive controls.

Suppose the ME series can be used as an example as well, but it's a different genre, rpg-tps vs something I'd categorize as rpg-beat 'em up.

TW2 is about as responsive as... that one woman, who had that sever brain damage, where the was an argument about marriage and for her to be taken off life support... who ever that was. And it's combat is pretty mediocre, shallow and slow. I don't enjoy it's clunky targeting, combined with mindless boring single button spam.

I don't think it should be That over the top, like dmc/bayo, wouldn't fit the style of the game, but it should have been much smoother and had some hint of depth in it and maybe tone down the realism, in favor of funism. I know the devs said they didn't want that type of 'ninja gaideney' (i'm pretty sure they were talking about ninja gaiden at one point, along with demon's souls) combat, where it was more focused on skill/FUN rather than stats, but why? Why do stats have to ruin gameplay?

Can't the balance be, "I love gameplay, so I ignore stats" And "I'm terrible, so I stack stats to carry me" rather than one or the other?

And, ~@'just l2p... it's not even hard', yes, the difficulty setting is actually, a tedium setting, I started on hard, and lowered it to easy due to boredom and just wanting to get through it quickly.

Inconsistancy

Have you played Red Steel 2? Wiimote is definitely not gimmicky and the RPG genre has a lot of potential to evolve there. Yeah you're right, they are gonna be taken out of context. Bayonetta sucks but DMC is very good

What I never agreed on was how people said it wasn't responsive. The only time it wasn't responsive...was when you were getting hit. Dodge rolls have always worked, swinging the sword has always worked, but I have had times were my sign did not go off for some reason. The sword fighting can also be fluid, if you're one of the people that bother to switch between heavy and fast attacks. Targeted was also no longer a problem once I figured out how it works and to break your focus on a target. That same "mindless" description can be applied to just about any game, especially Bayonetta. I was able to play the beginning on hard by just shooting the guns. Had no need to draw the sword once, which is one of the reasons why I never bothered to fully play it.

Stats ruined the gameplay? I'm pretty sure this is an RPG, which end up revolving all around stats. It's definitely not a tedium setting. Easy was too boring. The challenge was what I love about this game.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Inconsistancy

Have you played Red Steel 2? Wiimote is definitely not gimmicky and the RPG genre has a lot of potential to evolve there. Yeah you're right, they are gonna be taken out of context. Bayonetta sucks but DMC is very good

What I never agreed on was how people said it wasn't responsive. The only time it wasn't responsive...was when you were getting hit. Dodge rolls have always worked, swinging the sword has always worked, but I have had times were my sign did not go off for some reason. The sword fighting can also be fluid, if you're one of the people that bother to switch between heavy and fast attacks. Targeted was also no longer a problem once I figured out how it works and to break your focus on a target. That same "mindless" description can be applied to just about any game, especially Bayonetta. I was able to play the beginning on hard by just shooting the guns. Had no need to draw the sword once, which is one of the reasons why I never bothered to fully play it.

Stats ruined the gameplay? I'm pretty sure this is an RPG, which end up revolving all around stats. It's definitely not a tedium setting. Easy was too boring. The challenge was what I love about this game.

ChubbyGuy40

BS(responsiveness) nothing you do in TW2 is reactionary, it's 100% preemptive, I can't stand combat that I can't react to. It's so bad at responding that you have to estimate an attack, and just sit there idle waiting for it, instead of seeing it coming, then responding. And the sheer shallowness of the 'combat' is disgusting, you do 4 melee attacks, and have a few spells and a few items, boring, slow, unresponsive. The lack of 'things to do' in combat leads to it being incredibly monotonous.

Like I said, the difficulty setting is a tedium setting, maybe if the combat was worth playing the game for, it'd be worth something, but it's not.

Stats don't hurt anything, it's when devs decide to murder gameplay for the sake of stats, which they almost always do.

And no, I've not played any Wii games, can't justify buying one.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Threesixtyci
You didn't like Bayonetta because you were able to breeze through the tutorial section with only the guns? Bayonetta does have two more difficulty settings that don't unlock until after you finish the first playthru. I liked Bayo's gameplay more than DMC3's, Boss battles especially were, varied and better executed than any of the DMC games.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ChubbyGuy40

\

BS(responsiveness) nothing you do in TW2 is reactionary, it's 100% preemptive, I can't stand combat that I can't react to. It's so bad at responding that you have to estimate an attack, and just sit there idle waiting for it, instead of seeing it coming, then responding. Inconsistancy

Uhh...Witchers are supposed to estimate and anticipate the attack. I'm pretty sure of that from reading the 2 books translated to english anyway. A lot of skilled fighting styles are that way. The Witcher isn't a hack and slash game, so why does it seem you were expecting it to be?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ChubbyGuy40

You didn't like Bayonetta because you were able to breeze through the tutorial section with only the guns? Bayonetta does have two more difficulty settings that don't unlock until after you finish the first playthru. I liked Bayo's gameplay more than DMC3's, Boss battles especially were, varied and better executed than any of the DMC games.Threesixtyci

I'm not gonna bother playing that crap just to get 2 more difficulty settings. Maybe if they were unlocked at the start I would've been more interested, but everything about that game screamed bad.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Inconsistancy

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]\

BS(responsiveness) nothing you do in TW2 is reactionary, it's 100% preemptive, I can't stand combat that I can't react to. It's so bad at responding that you have to estimate an attack, and just sit there idle waiting for it, instead of seeing it coming, then responding. ChubbyGuy40

Uhh...Witchers are supposed to estimate and anticipate the attack. I'm pretty sure of that from reading the 2 books translated to english anyway. A lot of skilled fighting styles are that way. The Witcher isn't a hack and slash game, so why does it seem you were expecting it to be?

TW2 IS a hack 'n slash, a bad one that happens to be an RPG at the same time (much better at rpg'ing than hacking).

Anticipation: Oh look, it has a sword, I'll attack it 2 times, then block. Wow, that's deep.

The combat in button presses: (what ever lock on button is, I've forgotten) {hard} ss r1, sss, r1, sss, r1, sss, x, sss, r1, sss, x, sss, r1, sss dead. Replacing 'S' with 'T' is the only possible variation 1v1. 2v1+'s variation, trap one, and do the exact same rotation on the moving one. (played on ps3 controller, s= square, t= triangle, r1 = block?{or is it l1}, x = roll) on easy, you just spam 's' or 't' 'til something dies.

The speed of the response is silly, you have to block before the enemies attack is even started, if I were fighting with swords (irl), and some guy was preparing to block a strike, I'd just go for one he's not aiming to block, why would I swing down when his sword's in the way?

And @ your not ever playing Bayo, you DO realize that 95% of games have extremely easy tutorials or first levels to ease you into combat? Not like tw2, where it started as more punishing and tedious than it ended. Why'd you just figure "oh, the TUTORIAL is lame, this game sucks"? And DMC is like that too, where you get Normal, and Easy in the beginning, and you have to unlock Hard, VH, DMD, HnH(heaven and hell), HH(pc{hell and hell})

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Threesixtyci

[QUOTE="Threesixtyci"]You didn't like Bayonetta because you were able to breeze through the tutorial section with only the guns? Bayonetta does have two more difficulty settings that don't unlock until after you finish the first playthru. I liked Bayo's gameplay more than DMC3's, Boss battles especially were, varied and better executed than any of the DMC games.ChubbyGuy40

I'm not gonna bother playing that crap just to get 2 more difficulty settings. Maybe if they were unlocked at the start I would've been more interested, but everything about that game screamed bad.

Well, I liked Bayo. Liked DMC3, as well. DMC4? not so much. I completed the Nero Story, but just got tired of the game and haven't gone back to it, to finish Dante's part, yet. Secret trials in DMC4 are just about all insane, though; I know I'll never pass most of them (It's really the trials that burned me out). Secret Trials of Bayo are on par of DMC3 and DMC. You do know the same guy that made DMC made Bayo, right?

And, yeah, I found W2 to be on the hard side. I must have killed Geralt about 60 times in a single playthrough. But I impossed my own restriction to the game, as well as played it on the hardest setting. The self restrictions was that I only used armor and weapons that I created myself. Which meant I dumped all the DLC starting equipment. The stuff kept on respawning on Geralt though, during the openings. It was only during the final scene that the stuff stayed gone. Just dump all the stuff during the priest interrogation and it'll finally be gone, from that point forward. Another thing I consider a handycap is using mouse and keyboard, instead of a gamepad. (just like Batman, and Assassin's Creed, this game is made for a gamepad, not for a K&M.)

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

[QUOTE="Threesixtyci"]

beganoo

I'm not braging, its just hilarious to me that some people were calling the game hard.

Also, Demons Souls might be somewhat easy if you know exactly what you're doing but it still requires skill and practise to get that good.Its combat is very well designed and its nothing like the brain dead combat of TW2.

Anyway, thanks for the spellcheck.Give my Bulgarian english teacher a call and tell her what terrible job she did.Actually, maybe I was just sleeping in clas*?Can't remember,was learing two foreigner languages at the time.How many foreigner languages do you speak btw ?

As someone who originally thought the game was challenging I ask for forgiveness for being such a noob. People like me deserve to be ridiculed.

Now excuse me while I go back to reading Iliad in the original Homeric Greek.

PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

What I did:

1. Level up quen.

3. Mash RMB

4. Profit.

The only hard part combatwise in the game including all bosses and enemies was the operator who is in a optional quest and also its optional to fight him to finish this optional quest... so yeah.

beganoo

I love how people take the obvious, abused and overused imbalanced route and complain that the game was too easy. Try the game on hard and don't use quen. Use the alchemy skill tree while you're at it.