Wireless Router Problems - Not Detected

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BidFarewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BidFarewell
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts

So I'm trying to setup my wireless router that I got today. It's a Linksys WRT54GS by Cisco. So I take it all out of the box, put it the install disc and follow the steps precisely and I get to the step to plug the router into a wall socket and it checks for detection on the router and I get "Error 322: New Router or Gateway Not Detected."

I tried Googling it but people just say go onto 192.168.1.1 in the browser and set it up from there. But I don't understand how that's going to get the router installed and the software on my computer. I understand going on the IP in the browser is the best way for configuration, but I want the router installed right now.

Any help?

BidFarewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BidFarewell
I'm going to head to bed. It's almost 3:30 AM. My girlfriend's coming over in a few hours so I need my sleep. Please leave all suggestions while I'm gone! I really need the help! I appreciate it all in advance. Goodnight.
Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts

Technically, you don't need to "install" a router, at least through software. All that the installation CD does is walk newbies through the steps you can do through direct access to the router. This is what you need to do:

Use a wired connection to the router and go to a web browser and enter 192.168.1.1 (this is almost always the default gateway... if this doesnt work open up a command line and type "ipconfig" and the default gateway will be listed.

The router might ask for a username/password. Usually the default username is either "user" or "admin", password "password". However it may be different and should be in the documentation for the router.

From there, it will open a website-like interface with a sidebar with different submenu's. You can configure your router from here. Just set the connection settings to match that of your ISP. If you have cable, probably you have a dynamic IP, whereas DSL will have static **usually. Leave the rest of the settings as default. Go to wireless settings, and select your network type. You will probably use wireless G but if you have a nice router/wireless card you can configure both to use wireless N for better bandwidth and range.

Set your network ID to whatever you want (the SSID.) This will be the name of the network you broadcast, and what will appear when you search for wireless networks. Set up security settings as you wish, but just make sure the devices you connect support the encryption you select and make sure to keep the encryption key handy in case you need to connect new devices.

After that you should be able to get it all working. Hope this helps.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
You don't need to install it..............all you really need to do is login and set it up :| On the 2 i've owned (D-Link) It's always been "Admin" and an empty password ^
BidFarewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BidFarewell

Technically, you don't need to "install" a router, at least through software. All that the installation CD does is walk newbies through the steps you can do through direct access to the router. This is what you need to do:

Use a wired connection to the router and go to a web browser and enter 192.168.1.1 (this is almost always the default gateway... if this doesnt work open up a command line and type "ipconfig" and the default gateway will be listed.

The router might ask for a username/password. Usually the default username is either "user" or "admin", password "password". However it may be different and should be in the documentation for the router.

From there, it will open a website-like interface with a sidebar with different submenu's. You can configure your router from here. Just set the connection settings to match that of your ISP. If you have cable, probably you have a dynamic IP, whereas DSL will have static **usually. Leave the rest of the settings as default. Go to wireless settings, and select your network type. You will probably use wireless G but if you have a nice router/wireless card you can configure both to use wireless N for better bandwidth and range.

Set your network ID to whatever you want (the SSID.) This will be the name of the network you broadcast, and what will appear when you search for wireless networks. Set up security settings as you wish, but just make sure the devices you connect support the encryption you select and make sure to keep the encryption key handy in case you need to connect new devices.

After that you should be able to get it all working. Hope this helps.

Baselerd
OMG it worked! lol Thank you so much!
Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts
Yeah np.