Wireless Network Adapter help please

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghost_loy
Member since 2005 • 2447 Posts

Hello, well after this: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27306334

I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a ****** "Play" USB Wireless Adapter. Unfortunately it is not working. I have a connection to the network but I do not have internet access on that PC. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please, and Thank you.

Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ghost_loy

Bump. Anyone? Please.

freesafety13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 freesafety13
Member since 2008 • 823 Posts
What are you connecting through? A router? Is the password protected? Can you ping the router? What is your IP address on the pc? We need more info.
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ghost_loy
I am connecting through a wireless WRT54G router. When I have the wireless adapter I can ping the router, I can also access it's address, 192.168.1.1 additionally I my address in ipconfig is 192.168.1.103 which means that the router has successfully given my PC a local address.
freesafety13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 freesafety13
Member since 2008 • 823 Posts
Can you ping outside the router? Ping google or yahoo and see if you can reach them. There are alot of things that can cause this issue. A firewall on your client denying access because of the new mac address. The firewall on the router blocking it because of the same problem. An issue with your browser, like a proxy server being setup automatically, which IE in notorious for. It could also be a DNS issue. Try assigning a global DNS manually, like 8.8.8.8, which is google's global DNS.
Ghost_loy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ghost_loy
Thank you for your help. However I have figured it out now. Turns out that disabling the Local Area Network was not enough to cut my other router out of the process. I had to unplug it as well, thanks for the help!