Windows XP Professional x64 Edition?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deep_sea_six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deep_sea_six
Member since 2004 • 92 Posts

My hardware features support for alot more upgrading but only if I move to say windows vista... which is never gonna happen. So I have heard about 64bit Windows XP before but never used it or personally encountered a computer with it.

I was just wondering how everyone feels about it?

Is it good for gaming?

Will programs like emulators for PS1, SNES, GEN still work?

Any major problems with it?

Does it use direct x 10 or 9?

Will it run early to late Windows XP games, or Windows 98 material for that matter?

Is it amazing with good hardware?

Does it have any of the problems that make us hate Vista? (sorry vista lovers)

Is it a memory hog at any time?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
It's based off of Server 2003, and I have used it. The only reason I like xp64, is because it's drivers work on my servers than run 2k3. Other than that xp64, is pretty functional, decent driver support, can't run 16bit code(just like vistax64). So it might not run old games. There is nothing wrong with vista 64, and bashing it makes you look like an idiot. Yes emulators will work, it' feels like XP. There may not be drivers for some of your pci cards or printers. It uses dx9, it's only useful if you want more than 4 gigabytes of ram. Honestly there is no point in buying it instead of vistax64 or just waiting yearish for Windows 7. Unless you are just going to pirate it, but I never have to pirate :D I get every OS from M$ for free, MSDN and Technet baby.
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts
I'm just curious what these huge "problems" with Vista are that you're talking about?
theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 theragu40
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts
I'm just curious what these huge "problems" with Vista are that you're talking about?RayvinAzn
Seconded. Anyone who still hates on Vista hasn't used it recently. Vista is as good as or better than XP at this point, as long as you have the hardware to handle it.
Munkyman587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Munkyman587
Member since 2003 • 2007 Posts
[QUOTE="RayvinAzn"]I'm just curious what these huge "problems" with Vista are that you're talking about?theragu40
Seconded. Anyone who still hates on Vista hasn't used it recently. Vista is as good as or better than XP at this point, as long as you have the hardware to handle it.

Just tossing in another agreement. I don't understand this vista hate still, but whatever... Considering ram is a dime a dozen, I don't see why you would even be concerned
machine_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 machine_B
Member since 2007 • 998 Posts
Another vote for vista here. XP 64 is horrible. I had nothing but problems with it. It has awful driver support and was very unstable for me. Vista 64 is far better, MS have stepped up their driver support for 64bit and I've never had a random crash or restart like I did with XP Pro. I shudder just thinking about that OS.
joshuahaveron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 joshuahaveron
Member since 2004 • 2165 Posts

It's based off of Server 2003, and I have used it. The only reason I like xp64, is because it's drivers work on my servers than run 2k3. Other than that xp64, is pretty functional, decent driver support, can't run 16bit code(just like vistax64). So it might not run old games. There is nothing wrong with vista 64, and bashing it makes you look like an idiot. Yes emulators will work, it' feels like XP. There may not be drivers for some of your pci cards or printers. It uses dx9, it's only useful if you want more than 4 gigabytes of ram. Honestly there is no point in buying it instead of vistax64 or just waiting yearish for Windows 7. Unless you are just going to pirate it, but I never have to pirate :D I get every OS from M$ for free, MSDN and Technet baby.JigglyWiggly_

How do you get them for free?

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

Another vote for vista here. XP 64 is horrible. I had nothing but problems with it. It has awful driver support and was very unstable for me. Vista 64 is far better, MS have stepped up their driver support for 64bit and I've never had a random crash or restart like I did with XP Pro. I shudder just thinking about that OS.machine_B

You must be computer illiterate then. The only drivers I couldn't find (at first) was for a PCI Wireless card from 2000. I ended up finding the drivers though. The instability you speak of is not to be found on my copy. I've had it installed for almost a year now and I'm loving it.

If you prefer the XP feel, stick with xp x64, if you like vista, use vista x64.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Well, in my bit of time playing with it, it was much faster and had less **** going on than Vista64 did. At least now, finding compatible drivers now should be much easier than back when it first came out, because back then, most companies didn't even acknowledge 64-bit computing was possible or something. Update schedule follows Server 03 than it does XP though.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]It's based off of Server 2003, and I have used it. The only reason I like xp64, is because it's drivers work on my servers than run 2k3. Other than that xp64, is pretty functional, decent driver support, can't run 16bit code(just like vistax64). So it might not run old games. There is nothing wrong with vista 64, and bashing it makes you look like an idiot. Yes emulators will work, it' feels like XP. There may not be drivers for some of your pci cards or printers. It uses dx9, it's only useful if you want more than 4 gigabytes of ram. Honestly there is no point in buying it instead of vistax64 or just waiting yearish for Windows 7. Unless you are just going to pirate it, but I never have to pirate :D I get every OS from M$ for free, MSDN and Technet baby.joshuahaveron

Google MSDN or Technet.
joshuahaveron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 joshuahaveron

[QUOTE="joshuahaveron"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]It's based off of Server 2003, and I have used it. The only reason I like xp64, is because it's drivers work on my servers than run 2k3. Other than that xp64, is pretty functional, decent driver support, can't run 16bit code(just like vistax64). So it might not run old games. There is nothing wrong with vista 64, and bashing it makes you look like an idiot. Yes emulators will work, it' feels like XP. There may not be drivers for some of your pci cards or printers. It uses dx9, it's only useful if you want more than 4 gigabytes of ram. Honestly there is no point in buying it instead of vistax64 or just waiting yearish for Windows 7. Unless you are just going to pirate it, but I never have to pirate :D I get every OS from M$ for free, MSDN and Technet baby.JigglyWiggly_

Google MSDN or Technet.

I have but can't seem to find out much about them. Technet looks to be for CEOs of businesses or something...

joshuahaveron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 joshuahaveron

Ah I see, that is expensive though.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/subscriptions/ms788692.aspx

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts