Windows Vista 32 bit or 64 bit?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

will477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 will477
Member since 2003 • 117 Posts

I tried to see if this topic already exists, but found nothing. Also, I know this deals with software, but it isn't really about a specific game, as seemed more hardware related. Sorry if I did not post in the right forum. Anyway...

I'm about to get a new PC, and I have decided to make a jump to Vista Ultimate from my old rig that ran XP. I realize that most games that are backwards compatible can (at this point) only be played on the 32 bit version of Vista. I looked around on various websites, and I saw only two big pluses for the 64 bit version of Vista:

1) Better security

2) Can utilize a great deal more memory (up to 16 GB I think, but not sure).

Well, more secuirty is always good. For gaming, the memory is very imortant, but as it stands the motherboard I am looking at doesn't even hold close to 16 gigs. In fact, I will probably only have 2 gigs (4 at most, which is tons right now). However, I read that you need at least 4 to really start to see a difference between 32 and 64 bit (don't have the link off-hand, but I could probably dig it up if someone really wants to see it).

Anyway, it seems that, at least for the time being 32 bit offers much more compatibility and for the most part equal or comparible performance. Still I'm not sure about basing my judgements on an afternoon of internet research. Is there a good reason to go with the 64-bit version, even in the face of low compatibility? (One more thing: Since I'm getting the PC custom made, it will have 64-bit compatible hardware with the proper drivers if I do decided to go that direction. I know that driver compatibility is a huge issue for 64-bit, but my concerns are about the best option for software).

If this topic alreasy exists, please direct me to the thread. Thanks.

Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

64-bit can address more memory than its physically possible to throw at it with any motherboard on the market and it allows for some great performance with things like video editing and encoding, but you've basically answered your own question..compatability is the problem and until that goes away for most people 64-bit simply is not worth it.

will477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 will477
That's what I was thinking, but I'm glad to have it confirmed. Thanks.
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

That's what I was thinking, but I'm glad to have it confirmed. Thanks.will477

Yeah, hopefully five years down the line companies will make sure things work with 64-bit it really is great for certain types of multimedia and it brings the memory maximum up to 16 exabytes (which is probably more than in all the computers you've ever seen in your life..combined).

Boulio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Boulio
Member since 2006 • 58 Posts

[QUOTE="will477"]That's what I was thinking, but I'm glad to have it confirmed. Thanks.Runningflame570

Yeah, hopefully five years down the line companies will make sure things work with 64-bit it really is great for certain types of multimedia and it brings the memory maximum up to 16 exabytes (which is probably more than in all the computers you've ever seen in your life..combined).

crysis will benefit from 64 bit os by almost 10 % so wait and see

Avatar image for My_name_a_Borat
My_name_a_Borat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 My_name_a_Borat
Member since 2007 • 762 Posts

I'm running the 64-bit edition and not running any compatibility issues (if you don't count the damn printer).

I'm running all sorts of games on this rig--some aren't even from this century!

will477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 will477
...hmm keep getting tempted to try running 64 bit.
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
lol when will you ever need more than 3gbs this year or next? dont let big numbers fool you.
Munkyman587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Munkyman587
Member since 2003 • 2007 Posts
I am using 64 bit... not sure why really, but I figured it wouldn't hurt. I have had better luck with it than the 32 bit (my vid drivers always failed on the 32 bit for some strange reason).
ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ch5richards
Member since 2005 • 2912 Posts
I'm running 64 bit Vista and all my drivers have worked. *knocks on wood*