Windows "Mojave"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts

I heard about this little "experiment" of MS' a while back and I guess they are finally releasing their "results". Just thought it might be interesting to get a reaction here since it seems there are a ton of Vista haters here who are similar to those in the experiment; they've never tried it.

http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
Vista is a good operating system (now), there's no denying that within reason. Better than XP overall (though I'll always keep XP on one hard drive to play older games that won't work with Vista/Windows 7). But not better enough to really justify spending money to go from XP to Vista (though if one is building a new system, I'd totally recommend 64-bit Vista). And that is where Vista fails to be a truly appealing OS, which isn't good. Every single OS should always be (once the kinks are all worked out, at least) an incredible improvement over the last that leaves no good reason to not upgrade. And Vista just isn't that. It's really good, just not good enough.
dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

I like Vista, but my eyes nearly rolled out of my head when I saw this website. I doubt the majority of people they videotaped actually thought it was that great, and there was probably a huge screening process to get the kind of people they wanted: those who really don't know a thing about computers and could probably not even identify the OS they are using now.

Microsoft barely advertised Vista while Mac's "I'm a PC" slam adds were coming out every week, and I don't think this after- the-fact advertising will make up for it. They could of said "This OS is great" early on, but now they can only say "Really, it doesn't suck. Honest."

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts
Those in the Mojave experiment also aren't trying to run old 16-bit games.
dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

Every single OS should always be (once the kinks are all worked out, at least) an incredible improvement over the last that leaves no good reason to not upgrade. And Vista just isn't that. It's really good, just not good enough.

JP_Russell

I don't consider XP to be that incredible of an improvement over Windows 2000 (not to be confused with the godawful Windows ME.) It's better, no doubt, but lets not forget that it took two service packs to get there. It took Windows 98 until version D to hit its stride, and though it was by no means perfect, it was better than 95.

Vista only had its first major update a few months ago. Give it a little time; it may surprise you.

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts

Every single OS should always be (once the kinks are all worked out, at least) an incredible improvement over the last that leaves no good reason to not upgrade. And Vista just isn't that. It's really good, just not good enough.JP_Russell

There are clear usability benefits to Vista, it is a solid evolution of the Windows experience.

I disagree with your main point though, I don't think that an OS has to be a sweeping rewrite every time ('95 was the last real big change from 3.X). Most OS revisions are more fundamental changes to the base code in order to future-proof it a bit better. For instance, with XP they discovered that a good portion of the crashes were actually caused by sound code travelling though a kernel right smack dab in the middle of the OS (very simplified explanation, but the point is there). Thus, they moved the sound processing to an external process. You don't notice this at all, but it fixes a significant problem.

I agree that MS should have responded to the Mac ads. The fact that Mac ads were aiming at MS, but actually complaining about things that manufacturers like Dell do for a lot of the problems (eg: Bloatware) made a lot of them completely irrelevant to people who know something about computers and an easy target.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

Vista only had its first major update a few months ago. Give it a little time; it may surprise you.

dos4gw82

Oh, I will. If Vista gives me a good reason to have it on a second hard drive, I'll get it. As it stands now, it ain't worth my money for what it offers when I already have XP.

There are clear usability benefits to Vista, it is a solid evolution of the Windows experience.

nosferatu

It is, but only a small one. My father has Vista and XP in dual-boot on his system. Vista's nice, but most of the added tweeters and whirligigs mean absolutely nothing to me, and the overall refinements (other than the much better memory management) are incremental at best. The things like better stability, better 64-bit design are good, but they're not much. DX10 is just about useless now and I suspect won't be utilized well for as many as two more years (even DX9 has proven to only just now have its full potential realized, as Crysis in very high DX9 and id Tech 5 have shown).

The positives of Vista for me boil down to: better memory management for faster startup times and application launch times, better 64-bit support, more stable and secure. And that's it.

Negatives are: worse compatibility with older games, poor driver support from Creative, and the Vista interface is uuuuu-geh-LY. :P What an eyesore!

For me, that evens out to a... barely better OS. Barely. Sorry, but I'm not forking over ninety bucks just yet.

I disagree with your main point though, I don't think that an OS has to be a sweeping rewrite every time.

nosferatu

Let me rephrase that. An OS that has taken 4 years (roughly; can't remember the exact release of Vista and XP) to make should be an incredible improvement. All previous OS's were very back-to-back, with not as much development time for them. Vista came out quite a long time after XP by OS standards. Vista should have been a big improvement with the amount of time it had.

Anyway, the bottom line is, if I'm to spend $90+ on an OS, it better be a hell of a lot better than what I've already got.

Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts

"......but why is it faster?"

Click "You can't please everyone." at the bottom of the page. :lol:

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
I hope the next Windows is a much bigger improvement and takes gamers into consideration.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Those guys were a bunch of computer illiterate hicks, no offense intended to anyone. Also, a Microsoft guy was showing them Vista, I seriously doubt he'd expose Vista's shortcomings, and then tape it, and then put it out on an ad campaign. Almost as dumb as the Apple vs. PC trash commercials.
1q3er5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 1q3er5
Member since 2003 • 759 Posts
Vista is a resource hog, i even consider XP a resource hog, Windoes 98 SE for the win. That little experiment they did was retarded, I know how to use ctrl+alt+del and actually see all the junk vista is running in the background that is worthless.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

I can't believe I watched all of them, but this one is the funniest, that guy's like a gangster.

Well I for one say that most of the bad things that are said about Visa is BS, most of it, because there are people that actually had problems with it, but most of them are exactly like in this experiment, they heard from somebody and because they heard what they heard, Vista sucks.

Flawless experience in my case, overall better and way more stable than XP.

mad0260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 mad0260
Member since 2003 • 1198 Posts
i've been using vista since RC1 non stop. never had any major problems other than some manufacturers like HP and creative refusing to release drivers for their hardware for vista.
Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

most of Vistas problems at the begining came from the fact that most drivers were crap leading to a lot of crashes and problems.

now with the drivers fixed and some bugs killed by MS, I would recomend Vista to anyone thats buying a new PC. I don't think it is worth the upgrade from XP yet, but the same could be said to anyone who had Win98 when XP came out...

and I have to say the apple ads are apreaty pathetic, especialy beacose they are nothing but lies now. I am sure there is a law against things like that somwhere and I am suprised MS didn't bring apple to the court yet, maybe they have something difrent for them in store^^

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
I hope the next Windows is a much bigger improvement and takes gamers into consideration.GodLovesDead
Kind of mislead by this. What differences are there between XP and Vista in gaming applications?
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]I hope the next Windows is a much bigger improvement and takes gamers into consideration.OoSuperMarioO
Kind of mislead by this. What differences are there between XP and Vista in gaming applications?

I mean mostly by Microsoft when I saw that and not that OS. For example, I shouldn't have to get the next Windows for DX11 or to play any games or any bull**** like that. And it should lighten up on the background processes a bit too.

Blackfriend8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Blackfriend8
Member since 2004 • 1982 Posts
the thing about vista is yes its good and yeah its better than xp. but if you allready have xp then there is no reason at all to upgrade to vista. the only way i would reccomend vista is when buying a new pc and it comes with vista otherwise just stick to xp.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]I hope the next Windows is a much bigger improvement and takes gamers into consideration.GodLovesDead

I mean mostly by Microsoft when I saw that and not that OS. For example, I shouldn't have to get the next Windows for DX11 or to play any games or any bull**** like that. And it should lighten up on the background processes a bit too.

Now I see what you're saying but isn't the purpose of a new OS is to introduce new architecture for developers to write new code on? Unless there's a way to input new architecture into an existing OS then I can see why shifting to a new OS for work, gaming ect. can be frustrating.

I noticed alot of users are angered by Vista ram usage but manage to don't take into account that Vista utilizes ram totally different then XP and is yet more efficient with the purpose of cache for overall better speeds.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]I hope the next Windows is a much bigger improvement and takes gamers into consideration.GodLovesDead

Well the problem here is that if they make everything backwards compatible to work on XP, they are pretty much shooting themselves in the foot. It is just good business sense to have made Direct X 10 work on Vista only. The problem I have is that they made games that were EXLUSIVELY for Vista. That's lame. The games should have been available on both Vista and XP, only obviously running in DX 9 and not 10 on XP.

The main gripe I have with Direct X 10 is that it pretty much sucks. Performance is either horrible or virtually no difference visually from DX 9. Maybe that will change over time, maybe not. Direct X 10 could have been a major selling point for Vista but they blew it.

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4551 Posts

Those in the Mojave experiment also aren't trying to run old 16-bit games.br0kenrabbit

Yeah, gaming is my main reason for not switching. I always see people having problems with games on Vista. Maybe the majority of these problems have fixes, but I don't want to deal with that right now. XP works fine for me so I've no real reason to switch.

That advertisement does not convince me at all, and I agree with the dude who said those people were heavily screened beforehand.

I can't believe I watched all of them, but this one is the funniest, that guy's like a gangster.

DanielDust

That dude doesn't seem mob gangsterish or ghetto gangsterish to Herrick at all...