Windows does not detect any audio devices / No sound from my computer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts

Hi everyone, 

So two days ago I opened up my computer case to remove my graphics card and clean it up, just to remove some dust. After I had placed it back in. I booted up my computer and noticed that there was no audio. I unplugged and re-plugged in my speakers and headphones, checked that I had the correct drivers, but still there was no audio. My specs during that time are:

AMD Athlon II X4 630
Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3
Nvidia GTS 250 512mb
8GB DDR3
Acer 24'' (Using HDMI to my GPU)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

So now I didn't know what to do. My motherboard uses Realtek, so I reinstalled drivers for the Realtek audio driver.

3ycaE.png

The next day, I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro and changed my graphics card to the Radeon 5850. I had thought that maybe it had something to do with the graphics card, for some weird reason. And it didnt hurt to do a install a new OS. And still, there was no audio.

3yciN.png

3ycpD.png

Now I have an AMD HD Audio and a Realtek Digital Output. So now, I am clueless. Windows doesn't detect when a new audio device is plugged in. For some reason it thinks that there is no HD audio device plugged in. I use a headset and speakers. The BIOS settings said that the Onboard Audio is enabled, if that helps.

So, after lots of frustration, I ask you guys, can you help me fix this?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If you're using regular speakers with a 1/8" jack that is plugged in on the light green port (analog) at the backplate of the motherboard, you should use Speakers, not Digital Output.

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chiddaling

Yeah they are regular, I disabled the realtek digital output and enabled speakers. Still nothing. Also set speakers to default and enabled realtek.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jun_aka_pekto

Yeah they are regular, I disabled the realtek digital output and enabled speakers. Still nothing. Also set speakers to default and enabled realtek.

Chiddaling

Have you tried playing an mp3 file and while the song is playing, checked to see device has a signal going through? Make sure to set each device as default first.

4Wn0MzF.jpg

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Try switching the number of speakers back and forth in the realtek software.

My audio sometimes stops working, and switching from 5.1 to 2.0 and back seems to reset the driver or something and gets it to work again.

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chiddaling

[QUOTE="Chiddaling"]

jun_aka_pekto

Have you tried playing an mp3 file and while the song is playing, checked to see device has a signal going through? Make sure to set each device as default first.

4Wn0MzF.jpg

Yup, I can see that it definitely has a signal when there is a video or mp3 file playing.
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chiddaling

My audio sometimes stops working, and switching from 5.1 to 2.0 and back seems to reset the driver or something and gets it to work again.

topgunmv

Just tried that, didn't work :(

EDIT: Do you guys know why it says "Front Panel Jack" for my speakers even though they are plugged into the motherboard ports?

y1X8Flm.png

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

Chiddaling

Just tried that, didn't work :(

EDIT: Do you guys know why it says "Front Panel Jack" for my speakers even though they are plugged into the motherboard ports?

y1X8Flm.png

Could be something shorting out on the front panel port. Maybe try disconnecting the front panel header from the motherboard?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jun_aka_pekto

Perhaps, the PC audio is stuck in "headphone" mode. Usually, the audio alternates between the front and rear speaker jacks unless there's a setting that allows the use of both at the same time. Sometimes, the settings can get stuck at the front jack. Disconnecting the front header from the motherboard will force the audio to use the rear speaker jack.