Windows 7 Fresh Install On New Ultraportable

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

I don't usually post here but I thought I'd give it a shot. I picked up a Lenovo ThinkPad x120e with pre-installed Windows 7 Professional 64bit -- however it has a ton of bloatware and junk from Lenovo that I'd like to remove. Is there an easy way of doing a fresh install of Windows 7? Mind you, this is an Ultraportable without a disc drive -- and I don't have the disc, but I can download a legit copy of Windows 7 since I have the product key in the battery slot of the Lenovo (it's different than the pre-installed Windows I believe).

Also - a general question. If I was looking into changing the CPU in the future, it's definitely possible, correct? I was thinking of upgrading to an i3 in a few years if it's doable.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
- Windows 7 Bloatware: easy fix is to go add/remove programs and just uninstall them from there. - CPU: you probably won't be able to upgrade the CPU, it's a pain and also most times not worth it.
DrFuzzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 DrFuzzy
Member since 2004 • 80 Posts

I don't usually post here but I thought I'd give it a shot. I picked up a Lenovo ThinkPad x120e with pre-installed Windows 7 Professional 64bit -- however it has a ton of bloatware and junk from Lenovo that I'd like to remove. Is there an easy way of doing a fresh install of Windows 7? Mind you, this is an Ultraportable without a disc drive -- and I don't have the disc, but I can download a legit copy of Windows 7 since I have the product key in the battery slot of the Lenovo (it's different than the pre-installed Windows I believe).

Also - a general question. If I was looking into changing the CPU in the future, it's definitely possible, correct? I was thinking of upgrading to an i3 in a few years if it's doable.

Haziqonfire
Just download Win 7 to a flash drive, boot from the usb drive and run it from there.
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

Download the correct Windows 7 ISO from here. Burn to a DVD or flash drive and install it on the laptop. You can use the Product Key that's on the laptop when it asks you for it.

After you have installed it make sure you re-activate the key (really easy and takes only 10 minutes).

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Haziqonfire

You can put the windows 7 iso on a flash drive and install it that way.

Upgrading a cpu will be not happening.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
The Win7 USB Drive is the way to go, but I still think you should just consider Add/Remove Programs and uninstall from there. You already have Windows installed with all the drivers, all the updates and activated. Save u heaps of time.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Windows 7 is pretty good at updating device drivers. I did a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium on my Toshiba NB305-N600 netbook. I had downloaded the drivers beforehand from Toshiba's Web site. it turns out, I didn't need to. Windows Update found them all. It found almost all drivers on the first attempt. The only driver it didn't find was the Intel 3150 drivers which it found on the second attempt.