Windows 10 to be the Last Revision of Windows

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

From then on it will be updated in an "ongoing manner".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32658340

I wonder if they will find some way of charging for tiny updates, hopefully not.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17775 Posts

its a rolling release so. not a bad idea.

they probably wont charge for security updates and major bug fixes. but i could see them charging for service pack level stuff...new features and enhancements and so on. but they will be optional.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#4 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

So subscription windows?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Windows DLC!!!

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

I heard that if you have win 7, win 10 will be available as an update!!!

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I'm not sure if this is a bad thing or a good thing. I wonder if they'll just come out with a differently named OS altogether in the future.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11779 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

I'm not sure if this is a bad thing or a good thing. I wonder if they'll just come out with a differently named OS altogether in the future.

It has the potential to be both, it just depends largely on the level of greed MS gets to.

On one hand the technical "potential" of doing it this new way far exceeds the other, especially in the long term. On the other... Just how will distribution, and access, work with traditional market systems though. It is this that will more than likely make it a great, or terrible thing.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@nutcrackr said:

So subscription windows?

Rumours are that major updates will be paid, while normal updates for free.

So basically the same as now but without the burden of having to reinstall everything from scratch.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

the day that we have like 20%+ more support Linux i m gonna leave windows for good ................................................. we just live in a world that everything is controlled . this is just sad .!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FelipeInside

@Jawad2007 said:

the day that we have like 20%+ more support Linux i m gonna leave windows for good .................................................

You'll die before that happens, so just enjoy life and use what's best for you. You only live once...

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#12 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@GTR12 said:

Windows DLC!!!

Haha. Free to Play windows. Now I know why they were so relaxed about giving Windows 10 for free and even supporting pirates. It'll be pay to win. Lmao. Would be hilarious if true.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

I doubt it. Windows is huge. You don't just drop a huge name like that, not unless your product is notoriously bad (IE), which Windows is definitely not. They might plan to take a more small update-centered approach. Kinda like their update from Widows 8 to 8.1.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

@FelipeInside: haha :)

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15  Edited By JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

So unlimited updates? I don't think so, they will charge for increments or something but they will charge us. It'll turn into an Android OS, they make their money from selling our information to companies, targeted ads and "free" apps for everyone.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

It's probably going to be like what Apple does with OSX.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

@JohnF111 said:

So unlimited updates? I don't think so, they will charge for increments or something but they will charge us. It'll turn into an Android OS, they make their money from selling our information to companies, targeted ads and "free" apps for everyone.

Like I said before:

Rumours are that major updates will be paid, while normal updates for free.

So basically the same as now but without the burden of having to reinstall everything from scratch.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

.. I see no problem with this.. Your never going to have to worry about the OS your currently using being abandoned by the company or not focused on.. And Microsoft will be able to divert more resources in it's development than any other windows platform before it.. The problem with Windows for Microsoft is their greatest competition has always been the older versions of it.. Most companies and people rarely upgraded to a new OS in less they absolutely had to...

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I can dig this

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I wonder if it will be subsidised by asking business to pay a subscription rather than a one-off fee. Or is that the way it already works? No idea.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127490 Posts

@nutcrackr said:

So subscription windows?

Just as Office 365 probably.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

this is good. they don't have to delay features just so they can stick them to the upcoming releases.

Joe77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Joe77
Member since 2003 • 646 Posts

This is a way for them to make more money, this will probably mean that the operating system you paid for will be locked to one PC, whereas when you had the disc you could delete it from one PC and install it on another one.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside

@Joe77 said:

This is a way for them to make more money, this will probably mean that the operating system you paid for will be locked to one PC, whereas when you had the disc you could delete it from one PC and install it on another one.

Everyone gets this wrong.

It has nothing to do with having the disc or not, it has to do with licensing. OEM Version against Retail Version.

I'm pretty sure the new Windows will have both versions.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@Jawad2007 said:

the day that we have like 20%+ more support Linux i m gonna leave windows for good .................................................

You'll die before that happens, so just enjoy life and use what's best for you. You only live once...

But I can't be happy in a communist computer world :(

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AlexKidd5000

Win10 better be a ground breaking improvement. or else I think MS and Windows will be on the verge of a decline, mainly because MS has not even remotely been able to make a dent, or even a scratch in the mobile market, and since "no one buys" laptops or desktops anymore since everyone uses smartphones now, I think Windows may start to see a decline in marketshare on the desktop what with all the casual users migrating to smartphones since they don't need the power, and non-mobility of a desktop, or the bulkiness of a laptop. People will forget that Windows even existed, it's will be all about Android, and iOS. And possibly Linux.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

@AlexKidd5000 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Jawad2007 said:

Comparing an operating system with communism.... dumbest thing I've heard all week sorry.

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Win10 better be a ground breaking improvement. or else I think MS and Windows will be on the verge of a decline, mainly because MS has not even remotely been able to make a dent, or even a scratch in the mobile market, and since "no one buys" laptops or desktops anymore since everyone uses smartphones now, I think Windows may start to see a decline in marketshare on the desktop what with all the casual users migrating to smartphones since they don't need the power, and non-mobility of a desktop, or the bulkiness of a laptop. People will forget that Windows even existed, it's will be all about Android, and iOS. And possibly Linux.

And this is so wrong on so many levels I don't even think I have the strength to respond to each point. I get that you have a hard-on for Linux, and you hate Windows, but dude...get a gripe on reality.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@FelipeInside said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Jawad2007 said:

Comparing an operating system with communism.... dumbest thing I've heard all week sorry.

@AlexKidd5000 said:

And this is so wrong on so many levels I don't even think I have the strength to respond to each point. I get that you have a hard-on for Linux, and you hate Windows, but dude...get a gripe on reality.

It was a bad joke, MS controls everything, and unfairly so XD

Tell me though, I'd like to hear your counter points :) this is based on what I see of the computer market. I think Windows will be used exclusively by gamers, and businesses, and casual users will turn to smartphones. And no, MS has not gained any traction in the mobile market.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FelipeInside

@AlexKidd5000 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Jawad2007 said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Tell me though, I'd like to hear your counter points :) this is based on what I see of the computer market. I think Windows will be used exclusively by gamers, and businesses, and casual users will turn to smartphones. And no, MS has not gained any traction in the mobile market.

MS controls what though? Out of all the operating systems, Windows has the most software available and how much does Microsoft restrict you from installing any of it? ZERO. It even lets you install applications from Google and Apple yet the same can't be said for them (Google still blocks YouTube Apps on Windows Phones). What's so unfair about this from MS's side?

And what you see in the computer market means you need glasses. Yes, Apple are selling a bit more these days but for every Macbook sold in the world, there are 10 PCs sold. Don't fall for the Apple Marketing Train.

Microsoft owns the business market by kilometres, nothing is going to change there. Home PCs and laptops etc they are still king, even though companies like Apple and Google sell well.

I don't mind Linux, I've used it myself, but it has it's place in specific operations. I'm super happy that it's getting more support for gaming, but to say things like "People will forget that Windows even existed" is just plain dumb sorry.

At the end of the day, do what's best for YOU. Why limit yourself to one OS just because you have a thing for MS when you can use both and get the best out of both worlds?

Just realize when you're on your death bed you won't be taking any computers with you, so you'll be there just thinking "heck, I missed out on all those cool games and useful applications because I was stubborn and just wanted to use Linux"

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AlexKidd5000

@FelipeInside said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Jawad2007 said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

MS controls what though? Out of all the operating systems, Windows has the most software available and how much does Microsoft restrict you from installing any of it? ZERO. It even lets you install applications from Google and Apple yet the same can't be said for them (Google still blocks YouTube Apps on Windows Phones). What's so unfair about this from MS's side?

And what you see in the computer market means you need glasses. Yes, Apple are selling a bit more these days but for every Macbook sold in the world, there are 10 PCs sold. Don't fall for the Apple Marketing Train.

Microsoft owns the business market by kilometres, nothing is going to change there. Home PCs and laptops etc they are still king, even though companies like Apple and Google sell well.

I don't mind Linux, I've used it myself, but it has it's place in specific operations. I'm super happy that it's getting more support for gaming, but to say things like "People will forget that Windows even existed" is just plain dumb sorry.

At the end of the day, do what's best for YOU. Why limit yourself to one OS just because you have a thing for MS when you can use both and get the best out of both worlds?

Just realize when you're on your death bed you won't be taking any computers with you, so you'll be there just thinking "heck, I missed out on all those cool games and useful applications because I was stubborn and just wanted to use Linux"

lol, ok points taken, I guess I should give MS more credit in that they don't really restrict you from installing what you want. But yes, points taken sir!

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Windows 10 will be my last if I still get random app crashes and explore.exe errors. greee lol.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lach0121

@AlexKidd5000 said:

lol, ok points taken, I guess I should give MS more credit in that they don't really restrict you from installing what you want. But yes, points taken sir!

Don't see a whole lot of this anymore. Its kind of refreshing.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside

@Lach0121 said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

It's not about giving them credit. Of course they have a monopoly on the business sector but if you had such a big business, you would try to have the monopoly too.

All I'm saying is that they are probably the most open developer in regards to all the "closed" operating systems.

And the most important note, don't let fanboyism or taste get in your way of enjoyment. You only live once so if there is a game that you want to play or an app you want to use and only available on Windows, just use it... you won't die, lol....

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lach0121

@FelipeInside said:
@Lach0121 said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

It's not about giving them credit. Of course they have a monopoly on the business sector but if you had such a big business, you would try to have the monopoly too.

All I'm saying is that they are probably the most open developer in regards to all the "closed" operating systems.

And the most important note, don't let fanboyism or taste get in your way of enjoyment. You only live once so if there is a game that you want to play or an app you want to use and only available on Windows, just use it... you won't die, lol....

I'm in agreement with you. I was actually referring to the fact that he accepted your points. To the point that (I assume) he is rethinking his position. Now it seems common place that people, despite mountains of evidence & logic, will not be persuaded to even rethink that they just might not be correct.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside

@Lach0121 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Lach0121 said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

I'm in agreement with you. I was actually referring to the fact that he accepted your points. To the point that (I assume) he is rethinking his position. Now it seems common place that people, despite mountains of evidence & logic, will not be persuaded to even rethink that they just might not be correct.

AlexKidd5000 is pretty good on that. We have discussed matters before and each of us have respected the other's points of view.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lach0121

@FelipeInside said:

AlexKidd5000 is pretty good on that. We have discussed matters before and each of us have respected the other's points of view.

Thats pretty cool. Its just I don't see it much overall lately, and it kinda lightens my mood, or even brightens my day a little when I do see it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FelipeInside

@Lach0121 said:
@FelipeInside said:

Thats pretty cool. Its just I don't see it much overall lately, and it kinda lightens my mood, or even brightens my day a little when I do see it.

Yep, it does the same for me.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@FelipeInside said:
@Lach0121 said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

Yeah, you're right about that. It's the monopoly part of MS that I don't like, and sometimes I can be kinda sour about it. I just think they have way too much clout. I just want there to be room for others, like Linux :P

And I still use Windows for games like GTA5, and soon Witcher 3.

Blue-Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39  Edited By Blue-Diamond
Member since 2006 • 179 Posts

I'm keeping WIndows 7 for as long as I can. Just like XP was the best till 7 came along. No update for me please. Linux may be added before a new windows ever is.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FelipeInside

@Blue-Diamond said:

I'm keeping WIndows 7 for as long as I can. Just like XP was the best till 7 came along. No update for me please. Linux may be added before a new windows ever is.

So even if there is proof that a new Windows is better than 7, you still won't upgrade? Why?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Jawad2007 said:

You might want to read up on what communism is, because it's not what you think.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AlexKidd5000

@kraken2109 said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Jawad2007 said:

You might want to read up on what communism is, because it's not what you think.

Ah, you are right, my "joke" was awful LOL

Terdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44  Edited By Terdog
Member since 2003 • 388 Posts

Im not looking forward to this, I work in it and we've been using the new office 365 for about a year now, and its a nightmare. If this happens, Ill get a cheap laptop for my daily needs, and convert mt PC to the Steam OS (which I've been thinking about dual booting to anyhow.)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

@Terdog said:

Im not looking forward to this, I work in it and we've been using the new office 365 for about a year now, and its a nightmare. If this happens, Ill get a cheap laptop for my daily needs, and convert mt PC to the Steam OS (which I've been thinking about dual booting to anyhow.)

WTF are you on about?

If you don't like Office 365 you can get the normal Office Suite.

Why would you go SteamOS? Less features, less stable, less support and most importantly, less games.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

@Blue-Diamond said:

you will not get ANY future games if you don't upgrade. But your loss

Blue-Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 Blue-Diamond
Member since 2006 • 179 Posts

@daniel_su123:

@daniel_su123 said:
@Blue-Diamond said:

I have over a 1000 games now, I'm set for life. But do they really want to lose a customer like me? Their loss.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FelipeInside

@Blue-Diamond said:

@daniel_su123:

@daniel_su123 said:
@Blue-Diamond said:

I have over a 1000 games now, I'm set for life. But do they really want to lose a customer like me? Their loss.

I don't know what kind of drugs Daniel_Su123 is on but you will be able to play future games no problem.

Windows 7 has at least another 5-8 years before you need to upgrade.

Saying that though, Win10 combines the best parts of Win7 and Win8, and it's shaping up to be the next best thing. So if you decide to reinstall or build a new PC, you should consider it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FelipeInside

Oh oh...

http://www.geek.com/games/steam-isnt-helping-gaming-grow-on-linux-usage-drops-to-less-than-1-1623519/

@AlexKidd5000 will not be happy, lol.....

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@FelipeInside said:

Oh oh...

http://www.geek.com/games/steam-isnt-helping-gaming-grow-on-linux-usage-drops-to-less-than-1-1623519/

@AlexKidd5000 will not be happy, lol.....

I haven't gotten the steam hardware survey thing for like...6 months, I highly doubt that is accounting for nearly all linux systems. lol.