Will Warhammer online die off soon, leaving WoW the sole MMO KING?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Makey-Gibraltar
Makey-Gibraltar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Makey-Gibraltar
Member since 2008 • 90 Posts

I am aware of the great start Warhammer online has made, however I am also aware of the great success and millions of suscribers WoW has had over the past 4 years.

It seems Warhammer is an amazing game, I play myself and i think its incredible, better than wow all round...but do u think it will die off soon enough?

Delius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Delius
Member since 2005 • 571 Posts
I think WAR will be on par with the EQ's and such, It'll be around for a while. Personally I'm enjoying it more then any other mmo I've played thus far, including WoW.
regnumekal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 regnumekal
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts
Seeing how LOTRO is far from dying, I guess you can say that Warhammer will even take the no 1 position.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
It's going to be around for a long time. It's a fantastic MMORPG, and to me, it's much better than WOW.
Stomperat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Stomperat
Member since 2006 • 32 Posts

warhammers great, think of all the fun things to do in wow with all the grinding and stuff you hate left out, thats warhammer. the game does pvp so well, if u want to gain experience you dont even have to do a quest if you dont want to, just killing enemy players and winning scenarios(battlegrounds) will level you up nearly as fast. i predict the subscription count will get to millions once more people discover WAR

-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

I think WAR will be on par with the EQ's and such, It'll be around for a while. Personally I'm enjoying it more then any other mmo I've played thus far, including WoW.Delius

I agree entirely

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

There have been 2 P2P MMORPG's that have shut down. 2.

Even the original EQ is still ticking over. WAR isnt going any where.

sandeep410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sandeep410
Member since 2004 • 1180 Posts
Aint WOW has meny subscribers bec most ppl bot in WOW.So they have multiple ids
Vastano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Vastano
Member since 2005 • 152 Posts
Warhammer is very, very far from dying off, especially if MMOs like EQ and SWG are still around. WoW will probably always sit on its frozen throne, but, if the developers at Mythic Entertainment work hard enough on Warhammer, WoW could be overthrown. IMO that is...
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
"Seeing how LOTRO is far from dying, I guess you can say that Warhammer will even take the no 1 position." ya not likely ... it just doesnt have the NAME to it .... people who dont even play videogames have heard of WoW. Outside of those who game if I ask someone would you rather play world of warcraft or warhammer online people go what is Warhammer .... That alone means its never gonna take Top position ...
Avatar image for xAngels_Assasin
xAngels_Assasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 xAngels_Assasin
Member since 2007 • 467 Posts

Seeing how LOTRO is far from dying, I guess you can say that Warhammer will even take the no 1 position.regnumekal

LOTRO may not be dying but it dosent have that many people, well from what ive played only place I see people are on towns and sometimes not that many , the occasional person passes me on the road from time to time.

And I havent played War but from what Ive heard its not going anywhere anytime soon.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
I see no reason why WAR would die out. It's had a solid launch, the game is stable and work well, a lot of people like it. I think a lot of people are making the mistake of looking at MMO's as being either as successful as WoW or Dying out. There is plenty of middle ground. Will WoW still 'be the king'? Yup, I do't see anything changing that anytime soon, but WAR is going to continue, do quite well and be considered a solid success for Mythic.
BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

Honestly, WAR, like a lot of the other recent MMOs, won't do much to challenge WoW at the top. But it will be successful. How successful depends on what they do to address leveling and some other issues the game is having right now. Even if a lot of the casuals leave, they'll still have a fairly dedicated fanbase that will keep playing. WoW having the highest number of subscriptions hasn't killed any other games yet.

Delius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Delius
Member since 2005 • 571 Posts

Honestly, WAR, like a lot of the other recent MMOs, won't do much to challenge WoW at the top. But it will be successful. How successful depends on what they do to address leveling and some other issues the game is having right now. Even if a lot of the casuals leave, they'll still have a fairly dedicated fanbase that will keep playing. WoW having the highest number of subscriptions hasn't killed any other games yet.

BobZany

hmm now that I think about it, that's a good point about WoW not killing other mmo's. Really, WoW has paved the way for a much larger player base then the genre ever came close to, before WoW came along. Due to it's mass market appeal, there are now literally millions of people playing an mmo - that probably never would have - if it wasn't for WoW. Most of those people are going to leave WoW, and play other mmo's at some point. No matter how you feel about the current king, WoW is responsible for my favorite genre growing by leaps and bounds in the last few years, and spawning many other great (and not so great) mmos.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
[QUOTE="BobZany"]

Delius

hmm now that I think about it, that's a good point about WoW not killing other mmo's. Really, WoW has paved the way for a much larger player base then the genre ever came close to, before WoW came along. Due to it's mass market appeal, there are now literally millions of people playing an mmo - that probably never would have - if it wasn't for WoW. Most of those people are going to leave WoW, and play other mmo's at some point. No matter how you feel about the current king, WoW is responsible for my favorite genre growing by leaps and bounds in the last few years, and spawning many other great (and not so great) mmos.

Eq, is still around... UO is still around... DaoC (the other game that Mythic made) is still around. WAR will be around for a very long time.

FrEaK411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FrEaK411
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
WAR is probably the best MMO I have ever played myself. I have played all the latest ones (WoW, EQ,LoTR, etc.) and find this one to be the most fun espicially in the PvP area I just cant get enough of it. The visuals of the game make it stand out from a lot if not all MMO's for now. If WoW players stoped playing for one day to play this I think they would have more fun on WAR then they ever have. Done.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

It won't die off, but for me, WAR is lacking. It's too narrowly focused on PvP. As the Gamespot review mentions, the PvE quests are just not really that great. Just your standard generic quests. The zones are a little bland. Crafting is absolutely terrible. Yes, i know the mantra, it's a new MMO. But WoW was much more well rounded even at launch. WoW is more of a jack-of-all-trades master of none MMO (well maybe master of PvE raiding). Is it the best in PvP? Well no, but it has enough PvP content to keep most WoW players happy. Only the die hard PvP fanatics are really disappointed with WoW's PvP. And they probably already moved on to AoC or WAR.

MMO's seem to be focusing on one gameplay aspect, and not trying to create a more open-ended experience.

Avatar image for Roland123_basic
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Roland123_basic
Member since 2002 • 3841 Posts

It won't die off, but for me, WAR is lacking. It's too narrowly focused on PvP. As the Gamespot review mentions, the PvE quests are just not really that great. Just your standard generic quests. The zones are a little bland. Crafting is absolutely terrible. Yes, i know the mantra, it's a new MMO. But WoW was much more well rounded even at launch. WoW is more of a jack-of-all-trades master of none MMO (well maybe master of PvE raiding). Is it the best in PvP? Well no, but it has enough PvP content to keep most WoW players happy. Only the die hard PvP fanatics are really disappointed with WoW's PvP. And they probably already moved on to AoC or WAR.

MMO's seem to be focusing on one gameplay aspect, and not trying to create a more open-ended experience.

zomglolcats

wow was more well rounded at launch..... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?

when wow launched, it had like 4 instances, crashed like a mofo, the servers were almost never up due to hardware issues, had INSANE LAG, broken skills, certain classes were pointless (*cough*druids*cough*) and had a relatively small user base. WOW only STARTED becoming the game it is today after about a year, when subscriptions really started to roll in due to word of mouth, and they finally started rolling out new instances and battlegrounds.

come on man, you didnt even play WOW at launch if you are making comments like that....

Stowik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#19 Stowik
Member since 2006 • 1222 Posts

WoW Cannot Be Killed By Conventional Weapons...

WoW is probably among the top 5 or so landmark events in video game history so far. I honestly think it will be around for 10 more years. I'm not a fanboy by any means; I haven't played the game for a long time, but it is such a global juggernaut that I think it will always be known as the first "MMO King"...Ultima Online and Everquest helped popularize the genre, but WoW is in a different category and will, I believe, be known as the first to hold the title.

Stowik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Stowik
And to answer the question, I don't think WAR will die off soon but I absolutely do not see it even coming within 500,000 or so subscribers of WoW.
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Roland123_basic

And to answer the question, I don't think WAR will die off soon but I absolutely do not see it even coming within 500,000 or so subscribers of WoW.Stowik

garaunteed, WAR will have atleast 1million subscribers by the end of the year, and will probably maintain around 2-3 million over its lifetime. no it will never have 11mil subs.... but 3 mil subs is still amazing. no other game other than wow has ever broken 1mil subs i dont think.

Stowik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Stowik

[QUOTE="Stowik"]And to answer the question, I don't think WAR will die off soon but I absolutely do not see it even coming within 500,000 or so subscribers of WoW.Roland123_basic

garaunteed, WAR will have atleast 1million subscribers by the end of the year, and will probably maintain around 2-3 million over its lifetime. no it will never have 11mil subs.... but 3 mil subs is still amazing. no other game other than wow has ever broken 1mil subs i dont think.

Yea, 3 million would be great if WAR could attract and retain that many.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Where does it say there can only be one MMO?
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11790 Posts

Where does it say there can only be one MMO?RK-Mara
lmao thats what im saying...

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zomglolcats
[QUOTE="zomglolcats"]

Roland123_basic

when wow launched, it had like 4 instances, crashed like a mofo, the servers were almost never up due to hardware issues, had INSANE LAG, broken skills, certain classes were pointless (*cough*druids*cough*) and had a relatively small user base. WOW only STARTED becoming the game it is today after about a year, when subscriptions really started to roll in due to word of mouth, and they finally started rolling out new instances and battlegrounds.

come on man, you didnt even play WOW at launch if you are making comments like that....

Nope, I played WoW at launch. In fact beta. Were there queue issues? Yes. Was there downtime, yes. But the professions were in, the PvE was better.

Take off the WAR fanboy hat for a second.

Relatively small user base? I'd hardly say WoW's initial user base was "Small". Maybe WAR sold more copies at launch than WoW, but so did AoC and look what happened there.

And I know you didn't just try to bash WoW about pointless classes. At least Blizzard fixed them as best they could, rather then removing them entirely from the game before launch like Mythic did, not to mention cutting down the capital cities to only two.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Warhammer=Hercules

WoW=Zeus

Both have loyal fans.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 zomglolcats

Warhammer=Hercules

WoW=Zeus

Both have loyal fans.

Ballroompirate

I also like how people who spent years of their life and money on a game such as WoW, then turn around and bash it mercilessly about how terrible of a game it was and is. If it was so terrible, then why waste all of that time and money on it in the first place? WoW is a good MMO. Anybody who denies that is just blinded. WAR is a good game too, but caters more specifically to PvP'ers. WoW has just enough PvP to keep me interested. The PvE is done really well. I'm satisfied.

WAR's trade skills (currently) are a joke. PvE just doesn't seem as interesting. RvR is great. Unfortunately, I require more than just RvR to be satisfied with an MMO.

Phenom316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Phenom316
Member since 2008 • 1650 Posts

WAR is unbelievably fun :P

WoW wont die off, for a LONG time. And neither will WAR.

WoW still has more expansions coming, and seeing its huge fanbase, great reception, being able to play on crap computers and such, it wont die for a very long time.

Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Roland123_basic
[QUOTE="Roland123_basic"][QUOTE="zomglolcats"]

zomglolcats

Nope, I played WoW at launch. In fact beta. Were there queue issues? Yes. Was there downtime, yes. But the professions were in, the PvE was better.

Take off the WAR fanboy hat for a second.

Relatively small user base? I'd hardly say WoW's initial user base was "Small". Maybe WAR sold more copies at launch than WoW, but so did AoC and look what happened there.

And I know you didn't just try to bash WoW about pointless classes. At least Blizzard fixed them as best they could, rather then removing them entirely from the game before launch like Mythic did, not to mention cutting down the capital cities to only two.

ok seriously i KNOW you didnt play at launch now. WoWs PVE was exactly the same as WARs PVE when the game was released. quest, kill things, turn quests in, get XP and money, and maybe an item. except for the fact that WOW didnt have anything like public quests on release, and oh did i mention that battlegrounds werent even in the game for a year?

WOW as a guess maybe had 200-300K players on release and those numbers didnt grow a lot until after the game had been out for a year... by MMO standards.... that IS a "relatively small population". Even extremely hardcore games that cater to a very small segment of MMO players like EVE Online have 300K players.

the classes were removed because they WERENT FUN. atleast Mythic didnt leave a broken class in the game like blizzard did with hunters. hunters had absolutely no purpose in life until they added tranq shot to help kill a boss in molten core. not only that, but half of the hunter skills didnt even work as intended.

also, the cities were cut in an effort to consolidate the WAR and have players working toward a common goal. if they had not eliminated the other 4 cities, there just wouldnt have been enough players to defend all of the cities. the cut was essential to the wellbeing of the game.

i am NOT a WAR fanboy. i love it how anyone that doesnt like a game that someone else likes is automatically a fanboy. i simply know a better game when i see one. having spent thousands of hours playing WOW, i can easily and definitively say that WAR is a far better game than WoW was when it was released, both PVE and PVP. it also has the funding and talent to become everything WOW currently is and more.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

I also like how people who spent years of their life and money on a game such as WoW, then turn around and bash it mercilessly about how terrible of a game it was and is. If it was so terrible, then why waste all of that time and money on it in the first place?

zomglolcats

Do you say the same thing to former drug addicts? :P

Brother_Tevis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Brother_Tevis
Member since 2008 • 195 Posts
I'd say it's gonna be around for a good long time. It pulled in enough people to hold steady, and they've had a really solid start. So I'd say it'll be here for a looonngggg time.
angrules23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 angrules23
Member since 2007 • 854 Posts

Roland123_basic
dude wat about guild wars? it has 5 million subs (well players because it is free).
icey6ch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 icey6ch9
Member since 2005 • 598 Posts
Warhammer is far from a WoW killer. The reason why so many people are playing it is because they are bored of wow. As soon as lich king comes out wow will gain back a whole bunch of subscibers. There is nothing all that fun about war at all. Id rather blow my head off then farm any more crappy senarios or pq's. The game is junk and its probably gonna pull a conan.... well maybe not that bad but still it wont rival wow.
Avatar image for comstrikeiscool
comstrikeiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 comstrikeiscool
Member since 2004 • 3616 Posts

Warhammer is far from a WoW killer. The reason why so many people are playing it is because they are bored of wow. As soon as lich king comes out wow will gain back a whole bunch of subscibers. There is nothing all that fun about war at all. Id rather blow my head off then farm any more crappy senarios or pq's. The game is junk and its probably gonna pull a conan.... well maybe not that bad but still it wont rival wow. icey6ch9

Um, ok. Why so much hate on WAR when you haevn't played it? People are playing because they are bored of WoW doesn't even make sense. WAR is based around RvR which is not WoW. If you think the game is based around scenarios then you need to get a clue...

Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Roland123_basic

Warhammer is far from a WoW killer. The reason why so many people are playing it is because they are bored of wow. As soon as lich king comes out wow will gain back a whole bunch of subscibers. There is nothing all that fun about war at all. Id rather blow my head off then farm any more crappy senarios or pq's. The game is junk and its probably gonna pull a conan.... well maybe not that bad but still it wont rival wow. icey6ch9

gamespot front page.... 750K subs.... so much for pulling a conan eh? get out troll.