Will vista ever get better or faster for gamers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ixi311downerixi
ixi311downerixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ixi311downerixi
Member since 2004 • 887 Posts
ok So before i get all these anwsers that criticize, Let me say this. i Have tried vista for a good amount of time, probaly a good 2 months straight and i have come to the conclusion that will Vista ever be like XP? where as games run smoothly and we would be able to run DX10 games? I Mean if games now are taking a performace hit from being played on vista, Will the DX10 games take a hit also? or can they be optimized better for vista?. Because yea i want to play Crysis, Bioshock etc. with DX10 but not if it looks like a screenshot ( Very low FPS).
Jonesy852

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jonesy852
Member since 2005 • 602 Posts

of course it will get better. You just have to wait until the Service Packs start coming out

Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Unstoppable_1
Member since 2003 • 2005 Posts
LOL your sig is funny. Don't buy Vista now get it later. You don't need it for Crysis, Bioshock, nor Assasin's Creed. Those will run fine on XP.
Avatar image for ixi311downerixi
ixi311downerixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ixi311downerixi
Member since 2004 • 887 Posts

I Have tried vista home premuim but some games didnt run up to par. I mean i dont wanna play or have a DX10 experience and have my games look like a slideshow the whole time. I have an e6600 at 3.2, 2 gigs of ram, 8800gtx and a xifi xtremegamer sound card so i should be able to run everything maxed but i just wanna know will they optimize crysis, bioshock etc and make them playable (I mean run really fast) while using DX10 on vista?

The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts

i Have tried vista for a good amount of time, probaly a good 2 months straight and i have come to the conclusion that will Vista ever be like XP? .ixi311downerixi

do you mean you "came to wonder"?

And yeah, im sure it will get better. But from what Im hearing, its still not ready so I will get XP Pro for my new system next month.

rainierflu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rainierflu
Member since 2006 • 207 Posts
give vista a year or so then upgrade...maybe things will be better by then...right now..yikes dont bother
xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts
Vista still needs time for hardware to advance so that more people have the power to run games on it. Right now, only top of the line hardware with Vista is worth it for gaming alone. The OS is great, but when I'm gaming I could care less about the snazzy Aero, so I dual boot to XP :)
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

Theperformance loss between Vista and XP is small in most games. I can tell from my own experience on a dual boot system and from recent benchmarks.

Every new OS is slower than the previous version. That goes without saying. It was the same going from Win98 to XP.

Directx 10 games will of course run slower on the same hardware. You can't have better looking games at no performance cost. Anybody who believe(d)directx 10 being faster obviously understands little about computers.

rbfinnegan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rbfinnegan
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

Theperformance loss between Vista and XP is small in most games. I can tell from my own experience on a dual boot system and from recent benchmarks.

Every new OS is slower than the previous version. That goes without saying. It was the same going from Win98 to XP.

Directx 10 games will of course run slower on the same hardware. You can't have better looking games at no performance cost. Anybody who believe(d)directx 10 being faster obviously understands little about computers.

Gog

dx10 is built entirely different then dx9, all the cards previously from dx10 use pixel pipelines which means that it doesnt always works at its 100 percent, dx10 cards have stream pipelines which are fixed to operate at there max capacities, all dx10 cards will be compatible with all the games features regardless if its mainstream or gaming. ofcourse the only difference will be the frames. DX10 cards are actually faster because since it has these types of steam processing pipelines it will give u a steady frame rate.

lucky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 lucky326
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts
I say Sp1 or Sp2 it will start showing what it can really do, then again they already have the successor planned for 09.
whgresiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#12 whgresiak
Member since 2005 • 1889 Posts
You gotta wait for service packs for one. Two if you're using it for gaming, turn off aero, total waste of processing and RAM power.
SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts
I head they wont be releasing a service pack... they will just release live updates with the updated update (lol) feature built in Vista.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

You gotta wait for service packs for one. Two if you're using it for gaming, turn off aero, total waste of processing and RAM power.whgresiak

I am not sure how it works but with aero on the desktop and applications loadmuch faster compared to when off. Nvidia among other drivers are what needs tweaking to get performance better. Right now there is hardly any difference but when I first installed it Battlefield was a bit jerky .

lucky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lucky326
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts
I head they wont be releasing a service pack... they will just release live updates with the updated update (lol) feature built in Vista.Phantsy16
Actually MS have already confirmed SP1 for sometime in Q4 07 although it could be pushed to Q1 08.
Megaflare252

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Megaflare252
Member since 2004 • 36 Posts

Right now there really is no difference in Vista gaming yet. I upgraded in the beginning and saw no difference. There are still a lot of stability issues for certain games. And also a whole lot of software that just doesnt run right. If I knew better I would probably have held off on upgrading. Although it looks good there are just too many performance and compatability issues with a lot of software now. It is getting better as more time passes but its a slow road.

xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts
Aero being on/off has nothing to do with in game performance. Unless you're in windowed mode. The OS disables the 3d interface whenever the screen loads full screen applications such as games by itself.
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts

Actually, everything I've read has said that Aero has absolutely no performance impact as long as your graphics card is capable of displaying it.

As far as performance discrepancies, most of it is either a myth or an outdated rumor. Vista performance is almost up to par with XP performance at this point (HardOCP has a comparison) for most games. The majority of these issues stemmed around early driver releases that were fairly incomplete, but are dramatically better now.

ribbit4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ribbit4u
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Ive had vista since rt2, (thank you torrents) and the drivers sucked, i got vista ultimate when it first came out, it was so cool but still, the drivers sucked, i kept it, i had quite a few updates, now, Windows fix most (or all)of their bugs with drivers, i havnt even had one problem, even installed some on friends computer, they were good too. i guess it just took them a while to fix it, ppl are still complaining about the amount needed to run it, that is kinda true, start up is 400MB, but if you just up it to 2gigs, ur fine, (i was playing Spiderman3 like nothing) things run so much better on vista, not just speed wise but the way it uses its tools, like the start button, u can search in a nano-second for the program without opening up any new window . Xp this would take 5 mins to do a single search, now, i cant go back to XP, its too plan and has no depth,

Ultmate has no real big use, but it has potentual. i love dream Scene.

I give Vista 6months to a year to get better (with hardware), and 3 years for ppl to catch up with it

watch, by that time specs will be

8 gigs Ram,

4.9 Ghz quad core

2-3 Terabytes HD.....(faster then SATA? 6gig transfer?)

2gig Nvidia (sum powerful name)

4x BlueRay......Image it. imagine having all that now....*Drools*

dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
After 1 year of live maybe Vista will be faster than XP,until then,no chance
atony12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 atony12
Member since 2007 • 960 Posts

vista right now is a piece of trash that was spilled by racoons all over the interstate and some guy took it and sold them

they can not play almost half the pc games out there without upgrading or doin some confusing technical stuff i have an xp and im happy with it and i will gurantie u i will NEVER get a vista

juggernaut8419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 juggernaut8419
Member since 2003 • 872 Posts

Of course it will get better. DirectX 10 will take a little while to show you what it is capable of since it always takes a while to take advantage of a new technology.

Other than problems with Nvidia (which isn't really a problem with Vista) I think it has been great. The RAM usage that every brings up isn't really a problem. It's just prefetch filling up free resources so you have quick application start up. If you start a game, it releases the resources you need. Sure the FPS is slightly lower, mostly just a few FPS for most of the games I play, but its not a large problem and with every new driver release the gap closes.

WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts

Vista still needs time for hardware to advance so that more people have the power to run games on it. Right now, only top of the line hardware with Vista is worth it for gaming alone. The OS is great, but when I'm gaming I could care less about the snazzy Aero, so I dual boot to XP :)xcryonicx

i was under the impression that it was the other way round, we have the hardware, but nothign to use it with. ive had my 8800gtx months before vista came out.

Avatar image for Death-Knight_RS
Death-Knight_RS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Death-Knight_RS
Member since 2003 • 44 Posts
Yep.
Zeke129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 Zeke129
Member since 2003 • 11176 Posts

The whole "poor compatibility with Vista" thing is a MYTH.

I have been using Vista for about 3 months now and have had NO issues. I have reinstalled all games and software from my XP machine and everything works fine. The only thing even REMOTELY close to an "issue" would be 3DSMax 9 not working without downloading a patch provided free by Autodesk. All games work nearly identical and in many cases, work better. Fact.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

[QUOTE="xcryonicx"]Vista still needs time for hardware to advance so that more people have the power to run games on it. Right now, only top of the line hardware with Vista is worth it for gaming alone. The OS is great, but when I'm gaming I could care less about the snazzy Aero, so I dual boot to XP :)WARxSnake

i was under the impression that it was the other way round, we have the hardware, but nothign to use it with. ive had my 8800gtx months before vista came out.

yea, the hardware is overkill right now for anything.
captalchol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 captalchol
Member since 2006 • 643 Posts
vista won't get faster but hardware will and yes it will be like xp speed wise in a year or two or three...