Will I ever need 12 GB og RAM for Gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MOnsOOn_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MOnsOOn_dk
Member since 2009 • 1524 Posts

Hi guys..

So my question is, will it be useless to buy 12 GB of RAM for gaming purposes only? or should i only buy 8?

I mena RAM isn't the most expensive thing, but if it will be useless to have 4 gigs extra I will save the money...

What do you think?

LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

For gaming, 12GB is total overkill. 8, even 6, is plenty for modern games.

Obiwan_1O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Obiwan_1O
Member since 2003 • 286 Posts

agreed, ppl dont understand. gaming is all about the GPU, an i5 and 4 gigs of RAM is good enough. I would say if you really want a little more than 4 just get 6 itsplenty,I have and I can run shogun 2 with all settings maxed ez.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

8 gigs is STILL wayy too much.. like you can get it if you want but you see the returns start to drop off after 8gb ram

ill do the simple version of the more ram = preformance chart for you rather than chase it down. this isnt exactly correct and it goes into far more details but its the general gist of the idea

4-5gb ram -> 20% preformance increase

5-6gb ram -> 17.5% preformance increase

6-7gb ram -> 15% preformance increase

7-8gb ram -> 10% preformance increase

8-9gb ram -> 5% preformance increase

9-10gb ram -> 2.5% preformance increase

10-11gb ram -> 1% preformance increase

11-12gb ram -> 0% preformance increase

12-13gb ram -> -1% preformance increase

now keep in mind that ram doesnt impact preformance much to begin with.. going from 6-8gb ram was all of a 2.5fps improvement

and at 9 gb onward the return was so small it didnt even effect your fps and at 12gb+ we actually LOST preformance.

so im saying now.. id stick to (at most) 6gb ram as there is where we see the greatest return. now if you were folding or doing complex 3d/2d rendering or something 12gb ram + is necissary or if your running a stupidly busy exchange server having the 128gb ram maximum would probably be so valulable it hurts one sides.

but for gaming i wouldnty exceed 6gb ram 8 if you REALLY whad nothing left to improve upon

SamusFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SamusFreak
Member since 2004 • 1932 Posts

Not in the near future you wont, 8Gb is more than enough now, and will be plenty for at least the next 2-3 years.

MOnsOOn_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MOnsOOn_dk
Member since 2009 • 1524 Posts

Thanks for the fast reponse guys!

Ok, I will just get 8 then :P

I will go alitte of topic (On my own topic lol)

What GPU would you guys recommend? A Radeon6970 or a Nvidia 570?

Obiwan_1O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Obiwan_1O
Member since 2003 • 286 Posts

radeon 6990 or nvidia 570 lol the 6970 unfortunatley is a bit of a dissapointment

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ionusX

radeon 6990 or nvidia 570 lol the 6970 unfortunatley is a bit of a dissapointment

Obiwan_1O

the 6950 also is pretty good, it doesnt have to beat the 570 to still be a good card.. remember that.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#9 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

One day you might.. not right now.

For now 4 - 8 is fine, unless you do alot of video editing and stuff like that.

TheUnkownJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheUnkownJoker
Member since 2011 • 177 Posts

Well personally id go with the AMD HD6990 because ive been hearing good things about the new connector and imanxiousto try it out :D

OR

I would go with a graphics card from XFX or Asus or EVGA because everytime i come to chose between them i always end up spending 2 hours comparing pros and cons, :P

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

As far as i know no game currently uses more than 4GB of ram.

eBusiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 eBusiness
Member since 2009 • 405 Posts

[Homemade table of random figures backed up by nothing]ionusX
That is an extremely poor explaination. Let's start with reality, the short answer is that for current games the performance gain from more than 4 GB is nothing. The long answer is that memory size only affect performance when you have too little to fit all that should be in memory, when that happens your computer will start using harddisk space to compensate, and that slows operation on the data that gets stored on the harddisk massively. There will typically be some data in memory that can be swapped to disk without a big performance hit, but once the more frequently used data starts swapping performance goes down the drain.

I'm a pretty big memory user myself, so I have got 8 GB, but I could probably get by just fine with 4 GB. As long as you don't have a lot of other stuff running next to a game 4 GB will be enough.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

In the future, maybe? How far down the future probably a very long time. I only have 12 gigs because my friend sold me his ram for 200bucks.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
Will you ever? Hell less than 10 years ago RAM was measured in MBs, sooner rather than later 12GB is going to sound like nothing. :)
DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

At the moment? 4GB is just fine for gaming at the moment, and i highly doubt we will see an increase in RAM requirement until the next generation.

rock_solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rock_solid
Member since 2003 • 5122 Posts
someday...but not now. i have 6gb and even that is overkill. most games need 3gb or less right now.
middle-earth88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 middle-earth88
Member since 2006 • 1262 Posts

4GB of RAM works just fine now. 8GB is a safe bet due to RAM being so cheap. It won't hurt to have more RAM.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

umm I dont know where people are getting these numbers but MOST games have recommended requirements of 2gb, so if you have 4gb of ram then you're set and won't see ANY performance increase beyond even that 2gb.

rock_solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rock_solid
Member since 2003 • 5122 Posts

umm I dont know where people are getting these numbers but MOST games have recommended requirements of 2gb, so if you have 4gb of ram then you're set and won't see ANY performance increase beyond even that 2gb.

blaznwiipspman1
that's not true. benchmarks have shown that even if a game requires only like 2gb, you can usually get better performance with more ram than the game needs.
eBusiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 eBusiness

blaznwiipspman1

You'll easily get uncomfortably close to the limit with only 2 GB installed. Most games will have varying memory footprint depending on settings, so while they run just fine at low settings they may require the memory to run at high settings. You'd still get by with 2 GB, but for a new computer it's going to be a quite severe bottleneck before long.

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

blaznwiipspman1

This is FALSE. I have 2GB of RAM, and it is a MASSIVE bottleneck to my system... (Specs in sig)

Games load SLOOOOOOOOOOOW.... Alt Tabbing or Windows + D from games takes an age....

You really want 4GB minimum.

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

Urworstnhtmare

This is FALSE. I have 2GB of RAM, and it is a MASSIVE bottleneck to my system... (Specs in sig)

Games load SLOOOOOOOOOOOW.... Alt Tabbing or Windows + D from games takes an age....

You really want 4GB minimum.

Ram is dirtcheap at the moment, get 2gb more you gormless tosser! :P

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

4gb ram in the sweet spot for gaming right now.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

Random Post: The way things are going, we might eventually have SSDs as RAM :O!

middle-earth88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 middle-earth88

trastamad03

Sounds slow.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

6 is the sweet spot currently and for awhile

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Urworstnhtmare

trastamad03

Probably some day. Have a couple of GBs on a SSD dedicated to RAM...

First we need to get to the point where they are as fast as DDR slots...

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

12Gb would be more suitable to any graphic/video design application.

middle-earth88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 middle-earth88

[QUOTE="trastamad03"]

Urworstnhtmare

They are much faster than a mechanical HDD when used as a page file.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"][Homemade table of random figures backed up by nothing]eBusiness

That is an extremely poor explaination. Let's start with reality, the short answer is that for current games the performance gain from more than 4 GB is nothing. The long answer is that memory size only affect performance when you have too little to fit all that should be in memory, when that happens your computer will start using harddisk space to compensate, and that slows operation on the data that gets stored on the harddisk massively. There will typically be some data in memory that can be swapped to disk without a big performance hit, but once the more frequently used data starts swapping performance goes down the drain.

I'm a pretty big memory user myself, so I have got 8 GB, but I could probably get by just fine with 4 GB. As long as you don't have a lot of other stuff running next to a game 4 GB will be enough.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-module-upgrade,2264-3.html

as shown in some cases you LOSE preformance with 12gb ram vs 6 or 3gb ram

so in fact my lazily homebrewed table is actually pretty factual.. granted adding more ram doesnt improve gaming preformance much in the first place so having 20% improvements going for 4-5gb though it sounds alot.. really isnt all that much and is virtually un noticeable.. the fact that they tested on ddr2 doesnt change this at all either.

i resteth my case

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Urworstnhtmare

[QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

[QUOTE="trastamad03"]

middle-earth88

They are much faster than a mechanical HDD when used as a page file.

Oh I agree. I was just saying we need to get the SATA connectors to carry the data so that it is an effective RAM solution. Im fairly sure that currently SATA would be a MASSIVE bottleneck, as you are loading from the SSD, but then also constantly pinging it for memory...

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

You could install entire games into your RAM with 12gb... I'd sure improve your load times lol

ps by the time games are evening approaching needing 12gb of ram, your entire computer will be in the scrapheap... possible even the one after that one. Lol

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

My guess is the only reason why you need more then 4GB of ram is that if you doing lots multitasking work and its mainly for people who do alot of 3d modeling work like game company so they can have more 3d apps open at once.

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Urworstnhtmare

You could install entire games into your RAM with 12gb... I'd sure improve your load times lol

ps by the time games are evening approaching needing 12gb of ram, your entire computer will be in the scrapheap... possible even the one after that one. Lol

Captain__Tripps

RAM is erased when the computer shuts down. If this were even possible you would need to install the game on your RAM each time you booted up and wanted to play it.

The time spent reinstalling it each time, would greatly offset the amount of time you might save in loading times...

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

[QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"]

Urworstnhtmare

RAM is erased when the computer shuts down. If this were even possible you would need to install the game on your RAM each time you booted up and wanted to play it.

The time spent reinstalling it each time, would greatly offset the amount of time you might save in loading times...

lol I am well aware of that... wasn't really serious. Although i'd be curious how a games load times were effected compared to a hd vs entirely in system memory.
Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Urworstnhtmare

[QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

Captain__Tripps

lol I am well aware of that... wasn't really serious. Although i'd be curious how a games load times were effected compared to a hd vs entirely in system memory.

Good. You can never be too sure.

I don't think there really is a way to know. Probably be pretty quick though.

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts

Urworstnhtmare

except computers technically are meant to never be turned off and windows 7 if i recall can support 128 GB of ram...so the idea is sound if just leave your computer on constantly like a lot of folks do and like computers were meant to do. hell we have some machines that have been on nonstop since the 60s. and just uninstall the game when your done.
Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Urworstnhtmare

[QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

kayoticdreamz

except computers technically are meant to never be turned off and windows 7 if i recall can support 128 GB of ram...so the idea is sound if just leave your computer on constantly like a lot of folks do and like computers were meant to do. hell we have some machines that have been on nonstop since the 60s. and just uninstall the game when your done.

Trust me. Those computers that have been on since the 60's are not still running Windows 7.....

Also just because an OS is DESIGNED to be left on indefinitly, does not mean it will do so... Even Windows 7 crahses...

Also its 8GB Max for Home Basic users, 16GB for Home Premium users, and 192GB for Pro+ users....

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kayoticdreamz

[QUOTE="kayoticdreamz"][QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

Urworstnhtmare

Trust me. Those computers that have been on since the 60's are not still running Windows 7.....

Also just because an OS is DESIGNED to be left on indefinitly, does not mean it will do so... Even Windows 7 crahses...

Also its 8GB Max for Home Basic users, 16GB for Home Premium users, and 192GB for Pro+ users....

your right they are running windows 10 which has been ready to be shipped for 15 years now lol in all seriousness you could easily beat the game before windows crashes or what OS your using. you could also worst case scenario make a back up of the save file on your HDD in case it does crash. its not ideal but you could easily keep the computer running if you really wanted too. mine is on constantly and normally doesnt crash. im hardly the only one like this. some people just hate load screens enough that im sure somebody is considering trying this. and i did not know the three versions have there ram differences oh well i use ultimate so i guess i get 192. got a long way to go from my 4 GB lol.
Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Urworstnhtmare

[QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

[QUOTE="kayoticdreamz"] except computers technically are meant to never be turned off and windows 7 if i recall can support 128 GB of ram...so the idea is sound if just leave your computer on constantly like a lot of folks do and like computers were meant to do. hell we have some machines that have been on nonstop since the 60s. and just uninstall the game when your done.kayoticdreamz

your right they are running windows 10 which has been ready to be shipped for 15 years now lol in all seriousness you could easily beat the game before windows crashes or what OS your using. you could also worst case scenario make a back up of the save file on your HDD in case it does crash. its not ideal but you could easily keep the computer running if you really wanted too. mine is on constantly and normally doesnt crash. im hardly the only one like this. some people just hate load screens enough that im sure somebody is considering trying this. and i did not know the three versions have there ram differences oh well i use ultimate so i guess i get 192. got a long way to go from my 4 GB lol.

I know what you are saying and I can understand the benefits.... Currently its not really pratical, and I doubt it will ever be. SSDs will come down in price, and will increase in speed, to the point where if it will be faster to use a SSD as RAM rather than dedicated RAM as another user suggested...

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kayoticdreamz

Urworstnhtmare

I know what you are saying and I can understand the benefits.... Currently its not really pratical, and I doubt it will ever be. SSDs will come down in price, and will increase in speed, to the point where if it will be faster to use a SSD as RAM rather than dedicated RAM as another user suggested...

yes i wasnt really for my idea just saying its probably possible and might be beneficial. but not likely. but SSD as RAM isnt happening at least not yet. heck some of the fancier rams are still kind of expensive.
Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
Total Overkill but we'll never know if SWTOR will need that much ram to run smoothly.
NESfanboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NESfanboi
Member since 2011 • 38 Posts
I would Go with 8. That's what I have.
kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kayoticdreamz

magicalclick

yes i wasnt really for my idea just saying its probably possible and might be beneficial. but not likely. but SSD as RAM isnt happening at least not yet. heck some of the fancier rams are still kind of expensive.

since you guys are so into RAM based Hard drive style, you can just buy this.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/1742

You can turn off your PC in peace or in case your power goes off for hours.

I personally don't like to leave "PC" on all the time. It is not a business server that needs to provide service 24/7. Save some energy please, shut it off or hibernate.

not gonnna lie that is pretty sexy. but the article hits it perfectly its not too practical yet but the idea is amazing.
eBusiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 eBusiness

[QUOTE="eBusiness"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"][Homemade table of random figures backed up by nothing]ionusX

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-module-upgrade,2264-3.html

as shown in some cases you LOSE preformance with 12gb ram vs 6 or 3gb ram

That is most likely due to the 12 GB test using 2 DIMMs per channel, that will usually cost a tiny amount of performance relative to 1 DIMM per channel. So it's not the amount of memory, it's that the amount has been acheived using an inferior configuration.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#47 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

4GB is the magic RAM amount for things these days. I would say even 8GB is overkill, unless you are running a server

NLahren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#48 NLahren
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts

4GB is the magic RAM amount for things these days. I would say even 8GB is overkill, unless you are running a server

svaubel
this