Will adding an extra 1gig of DDR ram help much in my case??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

majinfaisal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 majinfaisal
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts

My current pc specs are: -

p4 2.0ghz @ 2.4ghz Northwood

Leadtek 7800gs 

2x512mb ddr pc2700 ram 

Windows XP pro SP2

---

I am not planning on upgrading my PC till probably the end of the year now, the market is kinda unstable and i want to wait for the next gen AMD processors also to see what they offer in comparison to Intel.

On my aging gigabyte sis-645 motherboard i have room for 1 more ram stick.  Since im not upgrading my full pc till much later i was thinking of adding 1 gig for DDR ram, roughly £25 off of EBay so pricing is good. 

Seeing as my graphics card is clearly bottlenecked by my CPU, how much of a performance boost or load time reduction would adding an extra 1 gig of ram make to games like Quake 4 or C&C3.   

Any help is greatly appreciated.

deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
well ur cpu is really old u cant do much with that . adding more ram would improve your system alot . if you have 1.5gb ram you can run vista witch is good for games . however a p4 would run slowly with vista . also in the future you should get a new video card . right now your card is okay but in the future you should upgrade to a dx 10 card .
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts
adding another stick will help slightly in games that have huge loading times and with MMO.  But its not gonna be too drastic as your setup is aging.
jamesgj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 jamesgj
Member since 2005 • 1190 Posts
Upgrade that CPU then RAM.
darkmagician06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darkmagician06
Member since 2003 • 6060 Posts
your cpu is killing u
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts
Your most economical upgrade would be to increase your ram.  Best bang for the buck....especially since you're only looking for an increase to tie you over until the new box.
majinfaisal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 majinfaisal
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts

Thanks for the replies. 

£25 isnt really back breaking costs so a gain for that much would surely be a good thing.  Adding more ram does seem to be the next logical upgrade to my current setup.  As mentioned before im not intending to upgrade to a new machine till the end of the year.  Also if i was to change the CPU (besides its not the greatest time to upgrade when theres mega competition brewing!) i would need a new motherboard/ram etc etc...effectively will cost more than £25 lol.  Also saving £25 for something im intending to build 6 months down the line isnt really smart saving imo :P

I have vista business (free from my university:D) but not installing it on this setup because as deadmeat mentioned my cpu would cripple the overall performance.

Thanks for the advice posted, any further messages will also be greatly appreciated.