Wierd wining/hissing noise coming from GPU or CPU?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dcno07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 dcno07
Member since 2002 • 2858 Posts

So i think this noise started recently (last couple months)... Or maybe i just havent notice it b4.. I cant really tell where its coming from (its obviously coming from something inside my computer) but i pretty much only notice it in Guild wars for some reason... Games like Half life 2, CoH, Sins of a solar empire, C&C.. ect... None of these games make the noize at all...

Btw, dont know if this helps but in guild wars if i move the camera around it makes more noice or different hissing/wining noises... The only other time i have noticed this is when im about to play Half Life 2, the little box will pop up in the bottom right corner of the screen that says you are logged on or whatever.. it makes that hissing/winning noise as the box is going up and then when it is closing.......

BTW, i have a 8800GTX, stock clock, and a e6700 overclocked to 3.33Ghz with a zaleman heatsink.. i can get the model number if that helps... Anyone know what this would be comming from and why... Thanks!

dcno07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dcno07

bump

Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts
Open up your case and listen for exactly where the noise in eminating from. Should be simple enough.
dcno07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dcno07
I tried to.. its really hard to tell where its coming from.. My graphics card and cpu are very close... I guess either way, could that sound be bad, or something to look into...? My computer is less than a year old, and i built it myself... Could it be a sign that my cpu or gpu are about to go out? I mean the sound really only happens in Guildwars and the sound changes when i move the camera around... I DONT GET IT...
kodex1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kodex1717
Member since 2005 • 5925 Posts

I tried to.. its really hard to tell where its coming from.. My graphics card and cpu are very close... I guess either way, could that sound be bad, or something to look into...? My computer is less than a year old, and i built it myself... Could it be a sign that my cpu or gpu are about to go out? I mean the sound really only happens in Guildwars and the sound changes when i move the camera around... I DONT GET IT... dcno07

It's most likely your GPU fan speeding up as it needs to render new things when you turn the camera. Check to see if there are any wires or something rubbing against the fan.

dcno07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dcno07

[QUOTE="dcno07"]I tried to.. its really hard to tell where its coming from.. My graphics card and cpu are very close... I guess either way, could that sound be bad, or something to look into...? My computer is less than a year old, and i built it myself... Could it be a sign that my cpu or gpu are about to go out? I mean the sound really only happens in Guildwars and the sound changes when i move the camera around... I DONT GET IT... kodex1717

It's most likely your GPU fan speeding up as it needs to render new things when you turn the camera. Check to see if there are any wires or something rubbing against the fan.

Its clear of wires... I even took some compressed air and tried cleaning it out... I just dont get why it would only happen in guildwars... And not really any of my other games... It happens constantly during guildwars... I guess it not a huge deal since i dont play guild wars much, if at all... But i just noticed its happening now when the small window for HL2 says you are logged onto steam...

Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts
I dont know about ATI, but if you have an Nvidia GPU, go into the control panel and manually set your fan speed to 100% and see if the same noise occurs. If not, its more than likely not your GPU.
superchronik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 superchronik
Member since 2003 • 783 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, I get the exact same noise but I mainly notice it on the Oblivion main menu. It sounds like coil whine or something. I have 8800GTX and E6600. Seems to be more noticeable at different resolutions so I'm assuming its coming from the graphics card. Anyone know if it's normal/safe??
Avatar image for blackleather223
blackleather223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blackleather223
Member since 2004 • 1569 Posts

Speeking of strange noises and all. My dvd rom when a dvd is in side it will rev up and make a lound noise and then it eventualy gose aways and then it does it again. It doesn't seem to do anything like mess up a game or anything like that it is just loud.

But latly it seems to be quiet. It is strang that is all.

I keep on thinking it could be my dvd getting ready to go but I'm not sure. So I'll keep on going until it does go wich I hope isn't soom.

dcno07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dcno07

I dont know about ATI, but if you have an Nvidia GPU, go into the control panel and manually set your fan speed to 100% and see if the same noise occurs. If not, its more than likely not your GPU.Spartan8907

good idea, ill try that

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, I get the exact same noise but I mainly notice it on the Oblivion main menu. It sounds like coil whine or something. I have 8800GTX and E6600. Seems to be more noticeable at different resolutions so I'm assuming its coming from the graphics card. Anyone know if it's normal/safe?? superchronik
It's a component's whine, yeah, and it's normal. Most people just don't have ears sensitive enough to notice. If you keep RMA'ing you might eventually land a card that doesn't do it. :P It's usually either graphics cards or PSU's that do it, sometimes motherboards.
dcno07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dcno07

I turned my GTX's fan all the way up and it sounds fine...

This doesnt sound like a normal noise... And now i am noticing it in CoH too... I dunno why but it guildwars its especially LOUD... I dont notice it much, if at all in Team fortress.....

I think i might try to call nvidia, they have warranties on their cards right? I bought it from newegg about a year ago...

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts
I get a very similar whine in most game menus. I think this comes from the motherboard actually, I think maybe the NIC card.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

I turned my GTX's fan all the way up and it sounds fine...

This doesnt sound like a normal noise... And now i am noticing it in CoH too... I dunno why but it guildwars its especially LOUD... I dont notice it much, if at all in Team fortress.....

I think i might try to call nvidia, they have warranties on their cards right? I bought it from newegg about a year ago...

dcno07
like i mentioned, it's normal, and something you'd just have to get lucky on after multiple RMA's. :( you know how you can hear when a CRT TV is turned on? sort of like that.