Why the heck does everyone have to use microsoft word???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 yachtboy
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts
I am so freakin sick of helping my friends and family open word documents (they don't have word) that ppl email them. WHAT THE HECK IS SO BAD ABOUT WORD PAD OR NOTEPAD???? All the documents say the same crap like: Practice on Tuesday or get info here.... ect ect. All you morons that send documents in the word format piss me off so much.
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
Because you have more bells and whistels that Notepad and Write/Wordpad doesn't have. Plus it's sometimes more convenient to use templates and old documents with. The support is a bit better then those 2 programs that get included with Windows. But you can also choose alternatives that work as well, but are free: OpenOffice, StarOffice, etc.
yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 yachtboy

Because you have more bells and whistels that Notepad and Write/Wordpad doesn't have. Plus it's sometimes more convenient to use templates and old documents with. The support is a bit better then those 2 programs that get included with Windows. But you can also choose alternatives that work as well, but are free: OpenOffice, StarOffice, etc.DirkVDV01

Yes, but isn't dumb to assume everyone has word?

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Because that's the standard, deal with it.
yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 yachtboy

Because that's the standard, deal with it.X360PS3AMD05

If you have to use word to make your document look correct then by all means do it. But if there is no need then why limit your audience? Simple is always better unless you are wishing to limit your audience and in the case of most emails (mass emails to employees, team mates) you want everyone to be able to read it. I have word but I still like works allot better. I never send a document in the word format unless I have to and I know the person I am sending it to has word. Your comment "deal with it" is just another microsoft con job statement.

seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 seabiscuit8686
Member since 2005 • 2862 Posts

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Because that's the standard, deal with it.yachtboy

If you have to use word to make your document look correct then by all means do it. But if there is no need then why limit your audience? Simple is always better unless you are wishing to limit your audience and in the case of most emails (mass emails to employees, team mates) you want everyone to be able to read it. I have word but I still like works allot better. I never send a document in the word format unless I have to and I know the person I am sending it to has word. Your comment "deal with it" is just another microsoft con job statement.

You sir need to get over yourself. Sit down and write a manuscript or paper of length longer than 5-10 pages on notepad and then on word, tell me how that goes for you. Word is superior in most respects and you come to enjoy the ease it brings. This is coming from an author, and I'll tell you right now, my script is not in notepad.
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts
You can open documents with wordpad too you know...
kassem1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kassem1
Member since 2003 • 71 Posts

You can open documents with wordpad too you know...Gog

Ya if someone sends you a document in word and u can open it with notepad

adam0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 adam0926
Member since 2006 • 5064 Posts
you can get word documents converted all you need to do is download the program to do it
Avatar image for bob_the_blob_24
bob_the_blob_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bob_the_blob_24
Member since 2003 • 184 Posts
I am so freakin sick of helping my friends and family open word documents (they don't have word) that ppl email them. WHAT THE HECK IS SO BAD ABOUT WORD PAD OR NOTEPAD???? All the documents say the same crap like: Practice on Tuesday or get info here.... ect ect. All you morons that send documents in the word format piss me off so much.yachtboy

Why does everyone use cars and other motor vehicles? What the heck is so bad about bicycles?

Why does everyone breath oxygen? What the heck is so bad about carbon monoxide?

Why does everyone use fingers to type? What the heck is so bad about toes?

Why does everyone write with pens or pencils? What the heck is so bad about quills?

Why do you ask such a useless and pointless question? What the heck is so bad about letting it be?
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DirkVDV01
You can open documents with wordpad too you know...Gog
Try opening a Word97/2000 document in Wordpad, it won't look pretty.
yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yachtboy

[QUOTE="yachtboy"]I am so freakin sick of helping my friends and family open word documents (they don't have word) that ppl email them. WHAT THE HECK IS SO BAD ABOUT WORD PAD OR NOTEPAD???? All the documents say the same crap like: Practice on Tuesday or get info here.... ect ect. All you morons that send documents in the word format piss me off so much.bob_the_blob_24

Why does everyone use cars and other motor vehicles? What the heck is so bad about bicycles?

Why does everyone breath oxygen? What the heck is so bad about carbon monoxide?

Why does everyone use fingers to type? What the heck is so bad about toes?

Why does everyone write with pens or pencils? What the heck is so bad about quills?

Why do you ask such a useless and pointless question? What the heck is so bad about letting it be?

That was an idiotic statement, if a doctor was talking to another doctor he would use medical terms because they are allot clearer then the lame generic terms used by the masses. But if he was talking to a patient he going to use  the lame terms even if he loses some detail in the process. So why even use word to send a document to 300 ppl if you don't have to?

yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 yachtboy
[QUOTE="yachtboy"]

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Because that's the standard, deal with it.seabiscuit8686

If you have to use word to make your document look correct then by all means do it. But if there is no need then why limit your audience? Simple is always better unless you are wishing to limit your audience and in the case of most emails (mass emails to employees, team mates) you want everyone to be able to read it. I have word but I still like works allot better. I never send a document in the word format unless I have to and I know the person I am sending it to has word. Your comment "deal with it" is just another microsoft con job statement.

You sir need to get over yourself. Sit down and write a manuscript or paper of length longer than 5-10 pages on notepad and then on word, tell me how that goes for you. Word is superior in most respects and you come to enjoy the ease it brings. This is coming from an author, and I'll tell you right now, my script is not in notepad.

Why not use microsoft works for that?? I am in college so of course I am forced to use programmes other then notepad. Or did you not read: "If you have to use word to make your document look correct then by all means do it"? So your an author..isn't your goal to have your words read by as many ppl as you can? If you were going to email them to 1000 ppl how many of them do you think would have microsoft word? Word isn't the best format to email ppl documents it's that simple.

CarnivaleClown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CarnivaleClown
Member since 2005 • 3141 Posts
Word rules for templates and document automation.

You use Works? Dear god. I didnt even know they still made that POS. Microsoft Word is somewhat a standard app that most people do have. Office Basic gets shipped out with lots of prebuilt computers. Would you rather everyone saved crap in WordPerfect? No one is going to use Wordpad or Notepad because it's not what they are used to. They will always send it in the format of the program they like to use unless told otherwise. You can always convert it to another application. WordPerfect, Works, Open Office will open up Word if you hit the drop downlist in the save dialogue box. Just choose which version Word you think the document was saved in if it lets you.

Try downloading Open Office and see if a word doc will open up cleanly in that.
yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 yachtboy
I use whatever I think I will need to get the job done... sometimes that's works and other times it's word. But what I don't understand is this: 90% of every poster in the hardware forum just hates microsoft to death even though windows xp was a pretty good os. Yet when someone has a valid bone to pick with a microsoft product you defend them to death? Really how can you hate windows and love a flawed windows word?
seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 seabiscuit8686
Member since 2005 • 2862 Posts
[QUOTE="seabiscuit8686"][QUOTE="yachtboy"]

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Because that's the standard, deal with it.yachtboy

Why not use microsoft works for that?? I am in college so of course I am forced to use programmes other then notepad. Or did you not read: "If you have to use word to make your document look correct then by all means do it"? So your an author..isn't your goal to have your words read by as many ppl as you can? If you were going to email them to 1000 ppl how many of them do you think would have microsoft word? Word isn't the best format to email ppl documents it's that simple.

As an author...I don't email my work... I write books
jjjhsmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jjjhsmith
Member since 2003 • 799 Posts
Just save your document as Rich Text Format .rtf and it should open in pretty much anything. At least in my experience.
bob_the_blob_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bob_the_blob_24
You know, Mr. Smarty, you seem to have addressed all but the comments about opening word documents in notepad. Tell me about that. Anyway...

[QUOTE="yachtboy"]That was an idiotic statement, if a doctor was talking to another doctor he would use medical terms because they are allot clearer then the lame generic terms used by the masses. But if he was talking to a patient he going to use the lame terms even if he loses some detail in the process. So why even use word to send a document to 300 ppl if you don't have to?

What does the compatibility of a doctor with a doctor compared to a doctor with a patient have to do with not using word if you don't have to?

[QUOTE="yachtboy"]I use whatever I think I will need to get the job done... sometimes that's works and other times it's word. But what I don't understand is this: 90% of every poster in the hardware forum just hates microsoft to death even though windows xp was a pretty good os. Yet when someone has a valid bone to pick with a microsoft product you defend them to death? Really how can you hate windows and love a flawed windows word?

How do you know the people responding to you are part of that 90%? And you bring up a new argument...a flawed "windows" word? First of all, it's "Microsoft Word" (MS Word for short). Second of all, how is it flawed? I think you might just be pulling criticisms as you want them.

By the way...

[QUOTE="seabiscuit8686"]As an author...I don't email my work... I write books

Indeed. You (yachtboy) are the true idiot for thinking authors (or at least most) e-mail their work. You just assumed something totally wrong while going against most people's (I'd say correct) assumptions that MS Word is something just about everyone has.
ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ForlornHope
Member since 2006 • 1809 Posts
I am so freakin sick of helping my friends and family open word documents (they don't have word) that ppl email them. WHAT THE HECK IS SO BAD ABOUT WORD PAD OR NOTEPAD???? All the documents say the same crap like: Practice on Tuesday or get info here.... ect ect. All you morons that send documents in the word format piss me off so much.yachtboy

because word is the perfect word processor it checks spellign and its far more advanced than notepad.
yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 yachtboy

You know, Mr. Smarty, you seem to have addressed all but the comments about opening word documents in notepad. Tell me about that. Anyway...

[QUOTE="yachtboy"]That was an idiotic statement, if a doctor was talking to another doctor he would use medical terms because they are allot clearer then the lame generic terms used by the masses. But if he was talking to a patient he going to use the lame terms even if he loses some detail in the process. So why even use word to send a document to 300 ppl if you don't have to?bob_the_blob_24

What does the compatibility of a doctor with a doctor compared to a doctor with a patient have to do with not using word if you don't have to?

I use whatever I think I will need to get the job done... sometimes that's works and other times it's word. But what I don't understand is this: 90% of every poster in the hardware forum just hates microsoft to death even though windows xp was a pretty good os. Yet when someone has a valid bone to pick with a microsoft product you defend them to death? Really how can you hate windows and love a flawed windows word? yachtboy

How do you know the people responding to you are part of that 90%? And you bring up a new argument...a flawed "windows" word? First of all, it's "Microsoft Word" (MS Word for short). Second of all, how is it flawed? I think you might just be pulling criticisms as you want them.

By the way...

As an author...I don't email my work... I write booksseabiscuit8686

Indeed. You (yachtboy) are the true idiot for thinking authors (or at least most) e-mail their work. You just assumed something totally wrong while going against most people's (I'd say correct) assumptions that MS Word is something just about everyone has.

Because derk (I believe that was his name) already addressed it. They look like crap... As far as my doctor statement goes, the word format will only be shown correctly using microsoft word. It's the same as the doctor using medical terms talking to a patient, they simple can't understand each other. I was simply assuming that most ppl responding to my topic are part of the 90% and I am sure some of you are indeed windows haters. I never said an author would email his work but to make a point I said "if you needed to send an email to 1000 ppl". Really how many typical users go out and by word or office? But this has turned into a personal battle and because of that I will no longer participate in this discussion...you can say you won or whatever because I really don't care.

gouldguitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gouldguitarist
Member since 2005 • 3582 Posts
What the hell? What kind of topic is this in PC HARDWARE discussion?
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
I somewhat agree with him. There's only a few situations in which you would need something like Word; school work (essays etc) and professional work such as a Resume or something. Besides that, I don't see why everyone uses Word for every single little thing. I know teachers love it.

My cousin's teacher sends notes & assignments to his students using a Word format that doesn't even format well on my 2003 version of Word. And how do I know this? Because my cousin couldn't open the files. She told me that a lot of her forbidden>
wolfkts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wolfkts
Member since 2004 • 339 Posts
Doesn't really make much sense to create email message in word.  Outlook is fine. Even web mail is fine for sending messages....Unless the messages are full of graphics and formatting.  You can use OpenOffice to open a word document and it will preserve the formatting and graphics.  Its free.  openoffice.org.

But I do agree somewhat.  Word is a great program, but to use it for sending out email seems like a waste.  Talk to your network admin about a policy change.  Maybe you will get the office to change their habits.
bob_the_blob_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bob_the_blob_24
Because derk (I believe that was his name) already addressed it. They look like crap... As far as my doctor statement goes, the word format will only be shown correctly using microsoft word. It's the same as the doctor using medical terms talking to a patient, they simple can understand each other. I was simply assuming that most ppl responding to my topic are part of the 90% and I am sure some of you are indeed windows haters. I never said an author would email his work but to make a point I said "if you needed to send an email to 1000 ppl". Really how many typical users go out and by word or office? But this has turned into a personal battle and because of that I will no longer participate in this discussion...you can say you won or whatever because I really don't care.yachtboy

Even though you "quit" and may not read this I still must say this: he addressed WordPad not Notepad. I do believe they are different. Also, in your doctor statement, you made it seem like doctors talk to patients just fine...they just have to change a few things around to make it easier to understand. Besides, doctors tell all of the important facts and only leave unnecessary details out. Also, a lot of people don't go out to buy Microsoft Word or Office. It is usually included in computers and laptops when buying one. I don't want to "win" this argument. I just think that you may have the wrong idea and I want you to get it out of your head.
Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts
OpenOffice FTW! I just started using OO, and it's awesome. More easier to use than MS Word, IMO. Firefix for internet, Thunderbird for emails, OpenOffice for documents, now all I need is a good game library then I'm all set to move toward Linux.
ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ForlornHope
[QUOTE="Wesker776"]OpenOffice FTW! I just started using OO, and it's awesome. More easier to use than MS Word, IMO. Firefix for internet, Thunderbird for emails, OpenOffice for documents, now all I need is a good game library then I'm all set to move toward Linux.

i tryied that but i kept saving the docus in formats nothing else incluing tafe computers coudl read. without thinking. Everyone has word so its the easiest thign to use.
Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts
[QUOTE="ForlornHope"][QUOTE="Wesker776"]OpenOffice FTW! I just started using OO, and it's awesome. More easier to use than MS Word, IMO. Firefix for internet, Thunderbird for emails, OpenOffice for documents, now all I need is a good game library then I'm all set to move toward Linux.

i tryied that but i kept saving the docus in formats nothing else incluing tafe computers coudl read. without thinking. Everyone has word so its the easiest thign to use.

Did you even change what format to change the files under? You can save the file as .doc file and other MS Word files.
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DirkVDV01
[QUOTE="ForlornHope"][QUOTE="Wesker776"]OpenOffice FTW! I just started using OO, and it's awesome. More easier to use than MS Word, IMO. Firefix for internet, Thunderbird for emails, OpenOffice for documents, now all I need is a good game library then I'm all set to move toward Linux.

I would use the spell checker from this website next time instead of the spell check from MS Word you used for this text... :P
ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ForlornHope
[QUOTE="Wesker776"][QUOTE="ForlornHope"][QUOTE="Wesker776"]OpenOffice FTW! I just started using OO, and it's awesome. More easier to use than MS Word, IMO. Firefix for internet, Thunderbird for emails, OpenOffice for documents, now all I need is a good game library then I'm all set to move toward Linux.

Did you even change what format to change the files under? You can save the file as .doc file and other MS Word files.

yes but it was easy to save it in OO  format by accdent because thats the default that shows up in the save diolouge. Then I'd try to open it at work or tafe and id realize what id done. Also its spell check is horrible and im not really a good speller :P
ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ForlornHope
[QUOTE="DirkVDV01"][QUOTE="ForlornHope"][QUOTE="Wesker776"]OpenOffice FTW! I just started using OO, and it's awesome. More easier to use than MS Word, IMO. Firefix for internet, Thunderbird for emails, OpenOffice for documents, now all I need is a good game library then I'm all set to move toward Linux.

I would use the spell checker from this website next time instead of the spell check from MS Word you used for this text... :P

i didnt spellcheck that text :P i usaly go over my posts again after typing it quickly but that time i forgot :P
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DirkVDV01
You didn't do it again... Anyway, I think we can safely say we got some die-hard MS Word fans here. The only thing people who use free software versions like OpenOffice and StarOffice (and others) can say to this is: good luck when opening MS-Word files from newer office versions in the older versions. MS doesn't care about backwards compatibility, while OO or SO or anything else does try to do something about it. Just don't come crying here if you can't open your files any longer. ;)
ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ForlornHope
[QUOTE="DirkVDV01"]You didn't do it again... Anyway, I think we can safely say we got some die-hard MS Word fans here. The only thing people who use free software versions like OpenOffice and StarOffice (and others) can say to this is: good luck when opening MS-Word files from newer office versions in the older versions. MS doesn't care about backwards compatibility, while OO or SO or anything else does try to do something about it. Just don't come crying here if you can't open your files any longer. ;)

I can open any word files text files or stuff from wordperfect so I dont know what your basing that on. Also try to focus on what im saying rather than how im sayinf it why dont you? In other words: lay off my spelling.
TheDarthvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 TheDarthvader
Member since 2002 • 7916 Posts
I use whatever I think I will need to get the job done... sometimes that's works and other times it's word. But what I don't understand is this: 90% of every poster in the hardware forum just hates microsoft to death even though windows xp was a pretty good os. Yet when someone has a valid bone to pick with a microsoft product you defend them to death? Really how can you hate windows and love a flawed windows word? yachtboy
Can you point out some flaws?
Xcelerate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Xcelerate
Member since 2004 • 599 Posts
After reading through most of the thread, I've lost the OP's point.

I use MS Word because it's what most other people use. It's compatible, it's convenient, and I'm used to it and have been using it for many years. I use it for all my assignments (some of which I e-mail) and notes. Why should I bother trying to find something else and spend time trying to learn a new thing? Why try to fix something that's not broken? I'm not saying that I'm ignorant and merely follow the masses; I certainly do research and try out some products over others (e.g., I do run FireFox because it is much superior to IE7).

Everyone that I know uses Word, and that's what matters because I know that if I send them a file, or they send me one, there aren't any problems. Yes, Office 2007 documents are not initially compatible with Office 2003 and sooner, but you do have the compatibility upgrade thing for the older editions, so you can view them.

Whenever a new edition of Windows or Office comes out, there are also the few people who swear that they will never upgrade. But, unless Microsoft is completely destroyed, or some other company arises from nowhere and produces an amazing revolutionary product that everyone just must have, I bet you that in 5-10 years, most everyone will be using Vista and Office 2007. I'm not pro-Microsoft or anything, but I'm just saying that it's just the way things work and things progress. You can quote me on that.
Avatar image for Crunchy_Pickles
Crunchy_Pickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Crunchy_Pickles
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts
If you can't get used to the fact that some people are stupid and write stupid things in stupid Word documents that could be easily written much more conveniently in a stupid .txt file, then you sir, are in the wrong stupid business.
bwatsonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bwatsonz
Member since 2006 • 395 Posts

You do know that Microsoft has a free Word 2003 Viewer program you can download.  If you don't have Word and someone sends you a Word document, you can open it and view it for free.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=95E24C87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF&displaylang=en

Of course there always is OpenOffice as well.

Cyborg-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Cyborg-21
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts
I use MS Office because I can get Office Ultimate 2007 for just £17 off my workplace :D
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DirkVDV01
One other thing: Office is considered MS's only cash-cow it has left. If this dies, it could get MS into trouble. Explains why older versions of Office and their generated files aren't so called compatible and need to be "converted", doesn't it? Free and open source versions are lower in setup size, either to install and work with, use less footprint and work equally well. But at least with those, older files keep working AND they can even open MS files.
drucom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 drucom
Member since 2004 • 766 Posts
You've never opened a .doc file in NotePad? Do you even know how to turn on your PC?
muddyalcapones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 muddyalcapones
Member since 2004 • 3259 Posts
The topic creator should just suck it up and buy Word for his family if it's really that big of a problem. Don't come here and b**** to us about something 95% of us disagree with you about. First rule of public speaking: know your audience. Why don't you try and find a forum of disgruntled wordpad users instead.
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DirkVDV01
The topic creator should just suck it up and buy Word for his family if it's really that big of a problem. Don't come here and b**** to us about something 95% of us disagree with you about. First rule of public speaking: know your audience. Why don't you try and find a forum of disgruntled wordpad users instead.
muddyalcapones
LOL, can't he just ask for it here without being shot at? I think the OP is on to something, but all you people do is insult him instead of pointing to arguments. That is sad, and it just prooves how correct the OP is in his/her statements.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 0757691
Member since 2003 • 2022 Posts
Spellcheck would be comin handy