why Microsoft Security Essentials takes hours to scan?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by 04dcarraher (20557 posts) -

Best to do a custom scan with windows folder and few other areas where the buggers hide

#2 Posted by silversix_ (16138 posts) -

It's just designed not to use much resources so it does it slower, it's also not the best AV there is and not very mature, all these make it pretty slow. I think you can change how much resources it uses when scanning though, check the options.JohnF111
I did check the option and for some reason it makes no difference. 10% or 100% resources both take over three hours to scan.

#3 Posted by silversix_ (16138 posts) -

Is it just me or its the slowest anti virus program there is? Full computer scan takes me almost four hours :( The 2nd slowest i have is Malwarebytes but this one takes only like an hour. AVG for example takes like 30 minutes or less.

#4 Posted by JohnF111 (14122 posts) -
It's just designed not to use much resources so it does it slower, it's also not the best AV there is and not very mature, all these make it pretty slow. I think you can change how much resources it uses when scanning though, check the options.
#5 Posted by halokillerz (3406 posts) -

I don't think you're supposed to do the actual full type of scan. That's supposed to be for first time only. Also, it depends on your computer's power

#6 Posted by kraken2109 (13224 posts) -

It's scanning every file you have. If you have a lot of files it's going to take a long time.

#7 Posted by silversix_ (16138 posts) -

It's scanning every file you have. If you have a lot of files it's going to take a long time.

kraken2109

why other AV's don't take that long though?

#8 Posted by MlauTheDaft (4518 posts) -

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

silversix_

why other AV's don't take that long though?

Probably because you havent made them scan your entire filesystem.

#9 Posted by Cyberdot (3918 posts) -

AVG is one of the bad ones, so I wouldn't question why AVG takes 30 minutes to scan your system because it's obvious. Skipping files with the possibility of not detecting viruses.

MSE is one of the best ones from what I've heard and it shows. It has very good virus detection.

- Slow but good virus detection
- Quick but leaving viruses undetected

Your choice.

#10 Posted by darksusperia (6943 posts) -

AVG is one of the bad ones, so I wouldn't question why AVG takes 30 minutes to scan your system because it's obvious. Skipping files with the possibility of not detecting viruses.

MSE is one of the best ones from what I've heard and it shows. It has very good virus detection.

- Slow but good virus detection
- Quick but leaving viruses undetected

Your choice.

Cyberdot
why do you always post about things you know nothing about? http://www.ibtimes.com/microsoft-security-essentials-fails-antivirus-certification-test-second-time-row-microsoft-disputes
#11 Posted by GarGx1 (3366 posts) -

I use Norton (please don't flame me :p ) I have done for years now, it's actually very good now and fairly quick. It does a lot of stuff automatically in the back ground and while the system is idle and certainly doesn't slug up the system like it used to.

I would recommend it to anyone.

Wierd I know ;)