Why is Steam so expensive with old games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

I dont get why Steam always sell games which are like 8 years for so much. I sometimes get bored and want to pick out a game from the past and lay the smackdown on it. But ffs games like Splinter cell and Max payne they wanna charge me £5.99! Am i the only who thinks steam charge too much for the old classics?

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

Then don't pay for them.

Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

£5.99?

kodyoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kodyoo
Member since 2010 • 258 Posts
Yeah, They want $10 for max payne.I went to a used book store a week ago and got a hard copy for $2.... So I completely agree, old games are overpriced on steam.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Steam does not decide what price a game has.

Aventura54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Aventura54
Member since 2006 • 146 Posts

Overpriced they may be - I like steam for their stupendous game packs and sales, like right now they have the Rockstar collection for £30. Thats all Rockstar's PC for just £30 - bargain. (BTW I'm not trying to sell you it, its just my opinion).

I also find Steam is a great way to get games quickly instead of going to a shop or ordering off Amazon etc. but I do like having a physical disc as well.

Aventura54

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="kodyoo"]Yeah, They want $10 for max payne.I went to a used book store a week ago and got a hard copy for $2.... So I completely agree, old games are overpriced on steam.

Wanting to get rid of the games that don't sell offering them at outrageously low prices =/= real price. The old games aren't expensive, they are priced just right, all of them. 10$ for MP 1 or 2 is a great price, if "you" can find the games you want cheaper then I don't see the problem...buy them cheaper, it's not like Steam forces you to get them at the normal prices, it's just an option, Steam isn't the only way to buy games.
-clippa-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -clippa-
Member since 2008 • 596 Posts

I think with steam you pay for the convenience, the convenience of having your connection hogged for a few hours :D I think there's also a novelty tax. Download services are relatively new.

It's weird, I bought both left 4 dead and left 4 dead 2 from play.com when they came out because it was considerably cheaper than buying the games direct from the people who made them :S

Their sales are good but yes, the games are always overpriced.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
steam doesnt decide the price of the games, the developers do.......
jamyskis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 jamyskis
Member since 2004 • 779 Posts

I think with steam you pay for the convenience, the convenience of having your connection hogged for a few hours :D I think there's also a novelty tax. Download services are relatively new.

It's weird, I bought both left 4 dead and left 4 dead 2 from play.com when they came out because it was considerably cheaper than buying the games direct from the people who made them :S

Their sales are good but yes, the games are always overpriced.

-clippa-

I had the same experience. The Orange Box is still 30 euros here in Germany on Steam, yet it's 20 euros in-store (in fact, I picked it up for 10 pounds from the UK, converted to 12 euros because the value of the pound was rock bottom). So not only did I save 18 euros, I got a disc and a nice box. Even Portal alone costs more than I paid for the entire collection. Modern Warfare 2 is now 20 euros in store, but Steam are still charging 50 euros for it. The astonishing thing isthat, in spite of this huge discrepency, people are still stupid enough to buy directly from Steam. Honestly, why do they do it?

I think you can safely place the blame on your fellow Steamers. By putting up with the pricing policy they've basically ensured that publishers have no incentive to lower prices.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

Prices don't go down for digitial items, because there is no cost to keeping them listed the way they are. In a retail store they need to get games off the shelf. They only have so much shelf space, and new releases are coming out every week. Popular games will stay on the shelves with high prices for a while. The "average" games only have a month max with high prices. Within a year if you can find it on store shelves it will be half price or less. With digital stuff, it doesn't cost anything to keep those games on "shelves". The most they need is a tiny bit of bandwidth for people loading the game's store page. As far as other online stores vs Steam, they probably buy the game licenses in bulk for half price. They can then price under the suggested price if they want, hoping their sales will be high enough to counter the lower price.

Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

Good luck finding them anywhere else. Besides, Steam is very old game friendly. I bought Vice City for $2.50 and Halflife for $.99, you just have to find the right time.

For anything else there's always GOG(Good Old Games)

They sell old games exclusively, I got Fallouts 1&2 for $6 there.

kodyoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kodyoo
Member since 2010 • 258 Posts
[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="kodyoo"]Yeah, They want $10 for max payne.I went to a used book store a week ago and got a hard copy for $2.... So I completely agree, old games are overpriced on steam.

Wanting to get rid of the games that don't sell offering them at outrageously low prices =/= real price. The old games aren't expensive, they are priced just right, all of them. 10$ for MP 1 or 2 is a great price, if "you" can find the games you want cheaper then I don't see the problem...buy them cheaper, it's not like Steam forces you to get them at the normal prices, it's just an option, Steam isn't the only way to buy games.

The thing is, all their jewel case games are $2-$3, regardless. They aren't low because they are trying to get them off the shelves, they just know that nobody will pay top dollar for old games. And I understand Valve doesn't exclusively choose the price on a game, but they must have some say in how much to charge for games. I don't even use steam, so I don't care how much they charge for their games, I just know I can get them elsewhere for 1/5 the price.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

Its funny you mention this because steam is selling max pay at 75% off right now for 3 hours.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
this is why you buy off amazon.com for old games better prices then steam hell in general amazon.com prices are lower then steam unless there's a sale.
DasVolks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DasVolks
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts
The publishers of the games set the prices, not Steam. Many of the publishers are too stupid to know that they would make more money dropping the price to what it actually should be after costs are taken out for making the boxes, manuals, cd's, storage, shipping, etc.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DJ_Headshot

Its funny you mention this because steam is selling max pay at 75% off right now for 3 hours.

bonafidetk

which is why steam is only really worth it when there's a sale most of the time.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Prices don't go down for digitial items, because there is no cost to keeping them listed the way they are. In a retail store they need to get games off the shelf. They only have so much shelf space, and new releases are coming out every week. Popular games will stay on the shelves with high prices for a while. The "average" games only have a month max with high prices. Within a year if you can find it on store shelves it will be half price or less. With digital stuff, it doesn't cost anything to keep those games on "shelves". The most they need is a tiny bit of bandwidth for people loading the game's store page. As far as other online stores vs Steam, they probably buy the game licenses in bulk for half price. They can then price under the suggested price if they want, hoping their sales will be high enough to counter the lower price.

James00715

The reason game prices go down over time isn't due to stores needing to get them out the door (if that was the case the store wouldn't order any more of that game once the stock is gone). It's due to demand curves. Only so many people are willing to spend full price for a game. After a few months all of those people have already bought it (the exceptions are games where there's sustained high demand, like COD or Halo) so the publisher has to lower prices in order to keep the game selling since once at a lower price point more people will be willing to get the game. This keeps up until the game hits a floor price where the publisher can't lower the price anymore because the game would no longer be profitable. If the game stops selling at that price too then that's when the publisher stops making the game.

Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

Because they give updates to the games and make it compatible with new OS. KOTOR anyone?

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts
steam doesnt decide the price of the games, the developers do.......ferret-gamer
Well the developers are retarted.....:| When TF2 was $40 bucks on steam it was $20 bucks for a hard copy I could name countless of titles that have cheaper hard copies hell even digital copies if you search for it.
True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#22 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]steam doesnt decide the price of the games, the developers do.......MrLions
Well the developers are retarted.....:| When TF2 was $40 bucks on steam it was $20 bucks for a hard copy I could name countless of titles that have cheaper hard copies hell even digital copies if you search for it.

Maybe some stores lose out or make minimal profits because of loss leaders? Valve is still making money from hard copies, but they probably make more money from a steam sale, because they are getting all the profits and can cut the middle man out. I buy from steam and never buy retail, it doesn't make me retarded. Maybe I don't live around cheap game stores, and maybe I'd rather have the convenience of buying a game on a whim, and downloading it in a matter of minutes or hours, to play right away.

jamyskis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 jamyskis
Member since 2004 • 779 Posts

The reason game prices go down over time isn't due to stores needing to get them out the door (if that was the case the store wouldn't order any more of that game once the stock is gone). It's due to demand curves. Only so many people are willing to spend full price for a game. After a few months all of those people have already bought it (the exceptions are games where there's sustained high demand, like COD or Halo) so the publisher has to lower prices in order to keep the game selling since once at a lower price point more people will be willing to get the game. This keeps up until the game hits a floor price where the publisher can't lower the price anymore because the game would no longer be profitable. If the game stops selling at that price too then that's when the publisher stops making the game.

gameguy6700
I agree with you, and similar market forces do apply in DD. Just because the 'shop space', as it were, is unlimited, doesn't mean that publishers want dormant IP sitting around that everyone is refusing to buy. They will continually lower the price of a game on DD platforms until people purchase it, because the expenses for a game sold on DD are almost zero once production of the game has been completed. They can afford to sell a game for $1, although whether Valve, for example, would allow this is another thing - after all, it's their bandwidth, and bandwidth costs money.
the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

Yeah one store decides to start getting rid of old stock somewhere and all of a sudden they should just drop the RRP internationally. Doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts

Steam does not decide what price a game has.

rzepak
Yes they do, to a certain extent at least.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
I think the most I've played for a old game is $20 for Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. It was definitely worth it.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

which is why steam is only really worth it when there's a sale most of the time.

DJ_Headshot
you say that as though they don't have a, say, weekly sale or something like that.
-clippa-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -clippa-
Member since 2008 • 596 Posts

the developers are retartedMrLions

Irony, there :D

Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
but steam has awesome deals once and awhile for old games. like bundle packs of like 20 old games for 5$, totally worth it imo.
jay___k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jay___k
Member since 2010 • 30 Posts

Seeing as they frequently have sales on games new and old, i'd wait for one of the games you want to go on sale.

Or check out

gog.com $6 -$10 price range.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DJ_Headshot
[QUOTE="DJ_Headshot"]

Hewkii
you say that as though they don't have a, say, weekly sale or something like that.

they do but how many games actually go one sale? only a few so its a hit or miss if its actually the game you want to buy.
scotty992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 scotty992
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts

I dont think that price is bad.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

gameguy6700

That's true, but they still have limited shelf space. Like back in February there were tons of big sellers. I'm sure a lot of weak games from the previous month or two were reduced in price to get them off shelves and make more space for the new releases. If the game store has a choice between selling God of War 3 and some no-name game, they are going to choose God of War 3 the majority of times. On a service like Steam it costs them literally nothing to keep the game listed. Profit is probably anything over a few dollars since there is no shipping or shelf space limitations. The bandwidth required for low demand games is negligable. So you will see Half Life 2 a 6 year old game still going for $20 when Orange Box is only $30. Some people are still buying Half Life 2 individually, and it's almost entirely profit. It doesn't cost them any sales to keep it at that price. I would say that many retailers only sell 70% of their stock. Those old games eventually dumped in a landfill, because the cost of not selling them is nothing compared to the profit of selling new releases.