Why is Arma II so demanding?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

I hear a lot that Arma 2 is a pretty demanding game hardware-wise. I was curious what exactly makes it so? Also, what's the typical playable frame-rate for it?

The-Mosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 The-Mosher
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

I hear that the game is CPU hungry, but I can run the game on high on my E6600. My guess is that the scale is so big and that you can make some big firefights in the editor that the game won't be so nice to your rig.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Because it looks good and its big.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
its the scale of the game, any recent game that has a massive (realistic?) scale tends to be a resource hog, you can compensate some what by adding a little extra ram but in the end if you want it to perform at its best you really need a good cpu
rastaman219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rastaman219
Member since 2006 • 3032 Posts
Cos it loads 10x10km maps in 1 so you don't have to wait for loading screens mid fire fight. That said, in the editor you can manipulate it so battles aren't as big.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It uses an engine from 1999 and attempts at doing open-world AI that can read and react to different situations. It fails most of the time though.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#7 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Its demanding but it runs well for me, expecailly since the latest two patches.

30-35 FPS I average which is fine for me.

Its a HUGE game with alot goign on at once.

Its more CPU dependent then GPU though, which is probably why it runs well for me now.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mystic-G

It uses an engine from 1999 and attempts at doing open-world AI that can read and react to different situations. It fails most of the time though.

Wasdie
See that's the part I don't understand. How is the engine so demanding if it's so mature? If anything should it not be super efficient by now? I have a C2D E8400... how well do you guys think that fairs with this game?
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Because it has very good graphics and textures and the size of the enviroments is even more wide than oblivion.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mystic-G
Because it has very good graphics and textures and the size of the enviroments is even more wide than oblivion.dakan45
That kinda goes against everyone else saying it's CPU hungry.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Mystic-G

See that's the part I don't understand. How is the engine so demanding if it's so mature? If anything should it not be super efficient by now? I have a C2D E8400... how well do you guys think that fairs with this game?

Other way around.

Older engines don't utilize ANY sort of newer hardware that today's engines do. Sure the developer may tack on some threading here and there but overall the whole engine doesn't utilize any of the modern hardware for doing parallel processing that greatly increases efficency.

The power of todays CPUs doesn't just come from a single core just pumping out trillians of calculations per second, it comes from the way the chips break down the code and run it in order. Ordering of a programs run-time, breaking it up into chunks to be run parallel, smart use of the cache and of memory to reduce memory calls, and so many other methods of optimization just weren't in the single core processors of the day.

OFP ran like crap back in 1999 for the most part. A lot has changed. BI put even more demanding features into the game that require even more calculations per second. Since the whole game engine wasn't built with these newer methods of processing in mind, they would have to bascially rewrite the entire engine to really optimize the game.

That is something they just don't have the money for. ArmA 2 will be the last military sim we ever see. There is no money in it and the programming is MUCH more complicated and complex than nearly every game on the market. Unless EA or Activision decide to fund BI in making a new one, it will never happen. The best chance we have is that the US or some other military contracts out BI to develop a new VBS with a brand new engine. If they can pull a government contract and build an engine for the combat sim, they can they strip the classified stuff out of it and release it to the public like they did with ArmA 1.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
[QUOTE="dakan45"]Because it has very good graphics and textures and the size of the enviroments is even more wide than oblivion.Mystic-G
That kinda goes against everyone else saying it's CPU hungry.

Then i dissagree with everyone else who says its gpu hungry because as you see i got a good cpu and its unused by most of the games outhere, there are games like gta iv that use the gpu heavilly. But arma 2 is not like that, it uses both gpu and cpu. Now if the cpu factor is a bit higher, that i dont know but i wouldnt go as far as saying that the game relies mainly on cpu since it does a pretty good job on videocards as well. I would say that i am thankfull that arma 2 uses the cpu because most games hardly care about the cpu and use only the gpu. But its not like gta iv, it actually does a pretty good number on the gpu too.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mystic-G

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

Other way around.

Older engines don't utilize ANY sort of newer hardware that today's engines do. Sure the developer may tack on some threading here and there but overall the whole engine doesn't utilize any of the modern hardware for doing parallel processing that greatly increases efficency.

The power of todays CPUs doesn't just come from a single core just pumping out trillians of calculations per second, it comes from the way the chips break down the code and run it in order. Ordering of a programs run-time, breaking it up into chunks to be run parallel, smart use of the cache and of memory to reduce memory calls, and so many other methods of optimization just weren't in the single core processors of the day.

OFP ran like crap back in 1999 for the most part. A lot has changed. BI put even more demanding features into the game that require even more calculations per second. Since the whole game engine wasn't built with these newer methods of processing in mind, they would have to bascially rewrite the entire engine to really optimize the game.

That is something they just don't have the money for. ArmA 2 will be the last military sim we ever see. There is no money in it and the programming is MUCH more complicated and complex than nearly every game on the market. Unless EA or Activision decide to fund BI in making a new one, it will never happen. The best chance we have is that the US or some other military contracts out BI to develop a new VBS with a brand new engine. If they can pull a government contract and build an engine for the combat sim, they can they strip the classified stuff out of it and release it to the public like they did with ArmA 1.

Well that's pretty depressing news. I hope they come across some good luck in their future, though a hardcore sim isn't for me (the controls deter me) I do fully support hardcore games. At least the Reality Mod team is making a Project Reality game, so at least there's something to look forward to in the future.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
It doesn't support multi gpu setups...
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
No one can deny that some of it is down to poor optimization, but other factors are that it's ******* huge and can have a lot of stuff happening simultaneously. It sucks that the game can't make full use out of modern graphics cards.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"] See that's the part I don't understand. How is the engine so demanding if it's so mature? If anything should it not be super efficient by now? I have a C2D E8400... how well do you guys think that fairs with this game?Mystic-G

Other way around.

Well that's pretty depressing news. I hope they come across some good luck in their future, though a hardcore sim isn't for me (the controls deter me) I do fully support hardcore games. At least the Reality Mod team is making a Project Reality game, so at least there's something to look forward to in the future.

As respectfully as people, it's also not true. The engine is one of the few gaming engines out there that actually makes use of multiple cores efficiently - examples of ones that DON'T are Crysis' Crytek 2.0, and STALKER's X-Ray engine. ArmA2's engine actually will show massive gains for adding multiple cores, as the engine's pretty much designed around it. If you're talking about engines based on 1999, something like COD4 or MW2 is a more apt parallel - COD4 could still directly trace its lineage to the Q3 engine from 1999. IIRC it also couldn't do dynamic lighting and things like that, but since the rest of the engine was so mature it was pretty easy to make it run well and hide deficiencies in the tech.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wasdie  Moderator

As respectfully as people, it's also not true. The engine is one of the few gaming engines out there that actually makes use of multiple cores efficiently - examples of ones that DON'T are Crysis' Crytek 2.0, and STALKER's X-Ray engine. ArmA2's engine actually will show massive gains for adding multiple cores, as the engine's pretty much designed around it. If you're talking about engines based on 1999, something like COD4 or MW2 is a more apt parallel - COD4 could still directly trace its lineage to the Q3 engine from 1999. IIRC it also couldn't do dynamic lighting and things like that, but since the rest of the engine was so mature it was pretty easy to make it run well and hide deficiencies in the tech.Makari

I'm not to sure where you get your facts, but ArmA 2 has been slowly patched to include more threaded programming, the engine is HORRIBLE optimized. It's an old engine, it would take time and money that BI does not have.

The reason why it seems like it runs better on a multi-core processor is because todays chips can actually break apart programming themselves to run in parallel. Every patch for ArmA 2 has been slowly adding threading to various things, most recently was the geometries of the terrain, which finally gave a decent FPS boost to all players.

The engine was built around single core processes and has had threaded programming slapped upon it.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

I hear a lot that Arma 2 is a pretty demanding game hardware-wise. I was curious what exactly makes it so? Also, what's the typical playable frame-rate for it?

Mystic-G

10KM view distance can rape the PC. You can always turn this down though. Overall besides the view distance I was not impressed by the graphics of ARMA II but I can see why combining Crysis like visuals with their huge view distance might be a bad idea.

ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ducati101
Member since 2004 • 1741 Posts
It doesn't support multi gpu setups...JigglyWiggly_
There is a very simple workaround for this.