Why I hate the new video game cases

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loismustdie47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loismustdie47
Member since 2004 • 2368 Posts

My video game collection

So that's my PC game collection and it really bothers me that 15 games in the new DVD cases take up twice as much space as about 40 games in the old CD cases. It just really bothers me that because game publishers can't wrap their heads around the fact that the DVD cases take up so much unnecesary space just to hold 1 or 2 discs and a skinny manual I'm pretty much out of shelf space and will now have to start keeping new games unorganized on my desk or wherever. It just seems that they're trying to make the new games appear more console-esque with similar packaging for whatever reason but they can't even get the size right as the DVD cases are twice as big as any of the console game cases. *sigh*

/rant

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#2 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I figure they see that its all about saving money and such. No more big boxes saves them on cardboard (!) and ensures they don't have to make huge manuals saving them again. Then you have the actual shelf space size in height, now all the platforms are the same with the dvd cases, and because they are the same they don't have to worry about different platform sizes. I have to say I don't really like the dvd cases much, but I'm so used to them.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean.. I still think its a step better then doign small boxs with paper sleeves. I am like wth, if I am paying $50 for this game, the least you can do is give me a plastic jewel case.
ROXLYDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 ROXLYDE
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts
I had the idea of an angled book case, but I cant find one small enough...grrr
GOML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 GOML
Member since 2007 • 540 Posts
the game cases would do just fine in regular old DVD case formate for like movies.
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#6 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts

Well, you could always discard the cardboard boxes and put all your discs in a folder.

But it is hard to throw away something so neatly packed, isn't it? :D

loismustdie47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 loismustdie47
Member since 2004 • 2368 Posts

Well, you could always discard the cardboard boxes and put all your discs in a folder.

chandu83

Blasphemy!

Besides, it's much more convenient to have my entire collection all in front of me at once. Plus, it's totally h4rdc0r3 keeping all the orginal game cases.

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
Well my Orange Box isn't that big, where did you get that huge ass box anyway, or maybe the picture just lies. Anyway, I like the new plastic cases, they are a lot more durable.
Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. Incredibly frustrating when you have all these little cases taking up minimum space and then you have to go and take up twice as much space with the new boxes. Plus you can't throw them out because they look so nice...
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#10 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
[QUOTE="chandu83"]

loismustdie47

Blasphemy!

Besides, it's much more convenient to have my entire collection all in front of me at once. Plus, it's totally h4rdc0r3 keeping all the orginal game cases.

Very true :D I didn't discard my original box covers either. I had to keep them.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
[QUOTE="loismustdie47"][QUOTE="chandu83"] Well, you could always discard the cardboard boxes and put all your discs in a folder. chandu83
Blasphemy!

Very true :D I didn't discard my original box covers either. I had to keep them.

Me too. I have the boxes for very old ones in the attic, while the disks are in a folder :)

Just can't bring myself to chuck out the old boxes. Still have the original boxes for XCOM, Descent, X-Wing, Wolfenstein 3D. :)

FunkWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 FunkWeasel
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts
When I went to Germany, every game was in a thin dvd case. And I mean every game, there were absolutely no CD's. They had BF1942 and Doom 3 on DVD, which I never thought I'd see. I don't know why game companies don't sell their games in XBOX 360 like cases. M$ should just put GFW games in 360 cases with the GFW icon instead of those obnoxious plastic beasts they use now. And this may just be me, but don't you hate it when a CD slides of the ring in the big cases and rolls around and gets scratched? Ugh, I hate it...
Loopy_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Loopy_me
Member since 2003 • 50 Posts

lol. sorry about the bother..

but i have been throwing those boxes away for years now..

with all my games, cds, and dvds...all i use are cd binders..

have a 200cd on thats about full now..

lots of space saved

EDIT: yes throwing away boxes is blasphemy and evil...but i live in small rooms

and i usually never keep the manuels after skimming through once or twice

judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts

lol. sorry about the bother..

but i have been throwing those boxes away for years now..

with all my games, cds, and dvds...all i use are cd binders..

have a 200cd on thats about full now..

lots of space saved

EDIT: yes throwing away boxes is blasphemy and evil...but i live in small rooms

and i usually never keep the manuels after skimming through once or twice

Loopy_me
I assume you write down the install key somewhere, right?
the_leet_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_leet_kid
Member since 2005 • 9951 Posts

I like them. What I hate is when I'd buy a game, which consisted of a bunch of CD's in paper sleeves, in a box.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

In the UK, we've been using standard-sized DVD boxes for about the last five years. I think it's a fine size. It also means i can keep all my DVDs, PC games and PS2 games - as well as any future consoles I buy, in one large collection and it's all standardised, same sized boxes with similar appearances.

The jewel cases always annoyed me, especially since they weren't big enough to house the manuals and I always ended up losing them, but those giganto boxes on the right of your picture seem bad too. We sometimes get large boxes for special games, like Max Payne 2 came in a large box like the one in your picture, but most of the rest are small, standard DVD size.

All things considered, I like the way our box system works, but those giant American boxes seem stupid and watseful. I can't really see why any publisher would support such absurd boxes, besides trying to somehow instil the belief that by buying a large box, the customer is somehow getting more. That and, I suppose, Americans tend to like things big.

VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
When they first made the changover I really hated the new cases. But Ive grown to like them now. They fit in with the rest of my other stuff on the shelves.
Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

I take all the disks out and put them in slim jewell cases. I keep the play disk with the cd key written on a piece of paper taped to the inside of the case seperate. I put these in my play cd holder and all the rest of the extra disks in holders on shelves. I have a s-load of them. I try to buy dvd's so I can cut down on disks but it's not always possible.

I've also thrown out all my old boxes but the dvd type coversI keep. At least until I run out of room.:)

xDestroyer666x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xDestroyer666x
Member since 2007 • 126 Posts

i persoanlly love the big fat boxes for some reason.. no idea why but i do.
I can actually read what they are from a distance, or if they are all lined up I can see what i have.
I'm sick of slim jewel cases. Put CD's in those, not games.

Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 Ps2stony
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
I'd love to see cases even slimmer than console/DVD cases. Even in those, there's some extra room in there between the game part and the manual. But maybe the thing the disc rides on takes up that space. Idk, maybe there could be a way to make those things slimmer as well so the disc is more tightly secured against the box. WHO'S WITH ME???
pilouuuu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 pilouuuu2004
Member since 2004 • 1075 Posts

I always wondered why DVDs can't come in cases about the same size of CD cases, as both discs have the same size... Is it that the extra storage size needs more physical size? Will we get ultra big cases with Blu-Ray discs??

Stupid and impractical, that's it for me!

AlphaHumana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AlphaHumana
Member since 2006 • 618 Posts
I love the DVD-style cases! Some are made with enough room that's adequate for a good-sized manual, which makes it nice because my CDs/DVDs and manuals can be kept together. I remember when all games came in packages the size of cereal boxes, heh, now those puppies take up a lot of space!
zakaweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 zakaweb
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts
I agree, I can't understand why they use these double width cases. There is .75 inches of air between the DVD and the Manual.
augustoc2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 augustoc2001
Member since 2003 • 105 Posts
Very nice collection dude