why everbody hates EA?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kingeliran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kingeliran
Member since 2005 • 1069 Posts

why everbody hates EA?

i dont hate EA the make amazing games but they rush them...

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#2 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
I don't hate EA either. I'm indifferent. Some of their games are quite decent, while others stink. But this is not exclusive to EA, and I keep my dislike for such games directed at the games themselves - not their developer or publisher. As for why people might hate EA: I find EA to be kinda like the Borg - they assimilate everything in their path and erase their individuality. But of course, this is not exclusive to EA either.
Menfear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Menfear
Member since 2004 • 1068 Posts
Why would I hate EA?
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

I don't hate EA, they are just out to make money like everyone else. And if you dominate/lead an industry (e.g. Microsoft), you are bound to be the target of alot of dislike.

I'd personally like to see them do things a little different, especially as an industry leader, but hate? Nah.

omerdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 omerdv
Member since 2005 • 1071 Posts

Because they killed my parents and threw me to survive alone in the streets when I was 5!!!!! :o

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
Member since 2005 • 1890 Posts
Hating Ea is so overhyped , i tried it for 6 months but i got nothing! NOTHING! . Damn blamers
Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
HORRIBLE HORRIBLE customer service and support ! They announce an expansionpack only a month or two after release, (Why not give us all the content at once instead of stealing our money, that is why i refuse to buy) and ugghhh
Zam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zam
Member since 2002 • 2048 Posts
They killed Westwood studios, ruined battlefield series, made nfl liscense exclusive to themselves, releases the same sports game every year, releases rehashes of the same game (*cough* need for speed, burnout), turned C&C into a bloody joke, overwork their employees and killing creativity (spore doesn't count, that's Will Wright), and now attempting to ruin one of the few great developer left who is independent...Bioware. So there...
bibalasvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bibalasvegas
Member since 2006 • 37 Posts

I can understand their actions from a business point of view but I still hate that they just buy up companies which produce good games because they don't have enough good IP of their own.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

I don't hate them, just dislike them. Most of their games have been quite mediocre lately, there's no soul in their games. Just like McDonalds, they calculate what most people like and dislike and try to squeeze out as many games as they can based on great IP's. I used to love the Need for Speed series. Porsche 2000 and NFS Underground are still some of my favourite racers of all time, but EA ruined that franchise for me.

Lately they have shown that they are willing to change. Spore and Crysis look promising, I might look into Army of Two. I just hope they keep their corporate greedy hands off of Bioware's creative processes. If they do that, I might even like them in the future.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58513 Posts

I dont hate EA (I dont think I really hate anything), but I dont exactly like them. Not because they make poor games; I enjoy many of their games, and some are even my favorites. But I dont like their business policies.

Go here, then read the spouse blog linked in the text

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_arts#Employment_policy

*EDIT*

Also, go down to where it says "former studios" on the wikipedia page. Some of my favorite studios are there, namely bullfrog and westwood studios (RIP)

acidBURN1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 acidBURN1942
Member since 2002 • 4816 Posts
They slow down development of this industry. As the leading game publisher that can do very harmful things to this industry. My greatest complaint and the reason I HATE and LOATHE EA is this : when NFL 2k by Visual Concepts was becoming a better game, and had better production values due to the ESPN license that SEGA was using very well, EA goes around and buy not only the ESPN license so SEGA can't use it, but they also buy the NFL License so no one can make a NFL game but them

......Thats wrong.....especially with a sport. Not only did they do that, but they havent nearly used the ESPN license as well as SEGA, so why did they buy it? So their competition would go under. Business wise its good, but for us gamers its bad.
Kaghuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kaghuru
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I absolutely hate EA. Because they are rich, they have licenses on so many sport leagues so other companies can't make games like theirs. Ex. Madden and FIFA. Konami made Pro Evolution Soccer that is so much better than FIFA. Honestly Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is better than the most recent FIFA. They hastily make their games adding in features that are complete **** and never work. Ex. Madden 08 has over 10 huge bugs. WTF EA? At least try to make your games half-decent! Most of their games are just repackaged pieces of **** EA is one of the worst companies out there. If you see any good EA games, it's just because EA published them. They never make any good games. Crysis? Made by Crytek.

0Goldeneye0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 0Goldeneye0
Member since 2006 • 471 Posts

Yea. I dont hate them. I hate that the fact there buying everyone. They just bought Bioware and Pandemic. I found Half Life 2 orange box in the EA site! and most of all I hate the fact they put no effort in making there games. They just like to rush it. for example The GodFather. Great GAME! but when you finished it and the don of NYC your like. wtf. what next? im done. Nothing to do. No more places to take over. No modding tools?? and look at Medal of Honor Airborne. Another great game. But its like not even 6 hours long!

I dont hate them. just the fact there making good idea games, then ****ing them up.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
I hate ea for acquiring great game studios and the destroying their game franschises by releasing poor seqels with only one aim -MONEY. SO far they have destroyed westwood, origin, bullfrog and i really hope bioware is not the next
mopeyking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mopeyking
Member since 2004 • 356 Posts

They are just an brilliant example of a giant corporation that only cares about the money $ and could care less about developing great games. Some companies take pride in making a good game and care about the fan base playing it. unfortunately thats not EA and never will because of the way they treat their employees. I also hate them for buying out great companies and making them not so great. Bioware was an amazing independent Canadian company, that took pride in their work and was rated one of the best companies to work for in Canada :) and it gets bought out by EA one of the worst companies to work for..... i just don't see how any good came come out of that. It makes sense why there is a little more hate towards EA at the moment.

ps2xbox10189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 ps2xbox10189
Member since 2004 • 1436 Posts
Back in 05 they realized they couldnt make madden 06 better than nfl 2k6 so they got exclusive license to NFL so there wouldnt be anymore 2k nfl games. Their mindset is, if you can't make a better game then them....buy em out so they can't make anymore, or make them for you.
tayfurcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tayfurcan
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
i hate EA sports game. but another games very nice. specially gears of war
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
They have great games too, but I hate their ripoff expacks. Just look at The Sims 2.
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

EA is always unhappy with the developer's lack of speed in releasing games, and force them to pump out crappy, unfinished, rehashed, underdeveloped sequels where are like expansion packs because only a few things makes them different from the previous part and that means BioWare will turn into Obsidian. Oh, I forgot about the advertisements

sykonfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sykonfc
Member since 2004 • 607 Posts

They're a company for Christ's sake. You create a business with the mindset to make money. In the gaming industry it's MAKE money or DIE. Sadly those highly vaunted studios like Westwood or BioWare SOLD themselves to EA. Either a, they were not making enough money to stay afloat or b, they needed a publisher. EA's decision thus far have been purely buisness related.

It's 2k's fault that their rival recieved an exlucise right to develop and publish NFL games, it's not EA's fault. It's the multiple companies that could not survive on their own, faults that they were picked up by EA.

As I said, it's make MONEY or DIE. EA so far has stayed afloat because they follow that simple buisness point.

Anyway, I feel the hate for EA has been fairly redundant has people cherry pick EA's resume and exclaim that that is why they suck or why they hate them. Judging by some of the people's post in this very thread; they could very well convince someone right off the streets that EA somehow murdered their family and got away with it. Some of you need to grow up and grow a sac. Jeez, talk about some people taking things too literally.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I do not hate EA.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

They're a company for Christ's sake. You create a business with the mindset to make money. In the gaming industry it's MAKE money or DIE. Sadly those highly vaunted studios like Westwood or BioWare SOLD themselves to EA. Either a, they were not making enough money to stay afloat or b, they needed a publisher. EA's decision thus far have been purely buisness related.

It's 2k's fault that their rival recieved an exlucise right to develop and publish NFL games, it's not EA's fault. It's the multiple companies that could not survive on their own, faults that they were picked up by EA.

As I said, it's make MONEY or DIE. EA so far has stayed afloat because they follow that simple buisness point.

Anyway, I feel the hate for EA has been fairly redundant has people cherry pick EA's resume and exclaim that that is why they suck or why they hate them. Judging by some of the people's post in this very thread; they could very well convince someone right off the streets that EA somehow murdered their family and got away with it. Some of you need to grow up and grow a sac. Jeez, talk about some people taking things too literally.

sykonfc

well others don't destroy any game devolopment studios they acquire. if you are interested in crappy products you are welcomed to , but don't expect others to like devs who release so many crappy products

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

sykonfc

Money is not the only reason to make games. That's half of it. The other half is to do everything in your power to make quality games, quality worksmanship to be proud of (notice I said do everything in your power to, not just make good games). Game developing is as much an art as painting, drawing, sculpting, carpentry, architecture, film-making, writing, music, etc. Fail either half, and you fail completely. EA only cares about money, they don't give a damn what their games are like. Just so long as they have good enough marketing schemes and gain enough control to get as many people as possible to buy their games (buy them, not necessarilylike them).

A good game developer/publisher gets more enjoyment out of the making-quality-games half than the money half, and they do so by treating those they depend on - their workers, their consumers, and any developers they publish games for - with the utmost respect and highest privileges possible. EA cares for none of those three in that sense. All they see is that they can make them money.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrbojangles25

sykonfc

What you say is true to an extent, and I agree with your anger. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to reason with hippies who say "Man, companies need to worry about the big issue, man...its like theyre in business to make money! Think about the trees!".

With that said, I feel that, in addition to money, it is a company's responsibility to deliver a good product to the consumer. And then make money. In that order. I have no problems with most business practices so long as a company is A.) good to their employees, and B.) good to their customers. EA has fallen short of those two conditions numerous times.

And as for those studios you mentioned selling themselves to EA, I dont know about that. I genuinely dont think that neither Bioware nor Westwood were short on money or success. Both developed incredible games (Neverwinter Nights, C&C series, etc) and I think EA's takeover of them is a simple example of "everyone has their price". When you own a small but successful studio and then EA comes up with their big wallet and says "we want to buy you for 200 million dollars, and we will give you stock options in EA" you dont really have a choice...thats retirement and healthy living at age 40!

Its like theyre gonna build an overpass through a house thats been in your family for three generations, and theyre paying you 50 million bucks. Your gut tells you not to take it, but your mind says "50 MILLION DOLLARS YEEEEEHAAAAAH!"

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts

EA has become the Microsoft of games; a fat, lazy, bloated green-eyed monster who sits on its horde of licenses while drunkenly gorging itself on your cash and then crapping out mediocre software.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mrbojangles25

EA has become the Microsoft of games; a fat, lazy, bloated green-eyed monster who sits on its horde of licenses while drunkenly gorging itself on your cash and then crapping out mediocre software.

attirex

EA is Jabba the Hut?

assafy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 assafy
Member since 2003 • 189 Posts

They killed Westwood studios, ruined battlefield series, made nfl liscense exclusive to themselves, releases the same sports game every year, releases rehashes of the same game (*cough* need for speed, burnout), turned C&C into a bloody joke, overwork their employees and killing creativity (spore doesn't count, that's Will Wright), and now attempting to ruin one of the few great developer left who is independent...Bioware. So there...Zam

that's so damn right....

i too hate them, they excel in turning good franchises into mediocre games, and sometimes it feels like they do it on purpose... >_>

and btw, EA aren't the developer of crysis, crytek are the ones who deserves the credit

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts
[QUOTE="attirex"]

mrbojangles25

EA is Jabba the Hut?

Yep. And what we need now is a slim, sexy, curvy independent game developer in a Space-kini (tm) to throw a chain around its neck and choke it to death.

/tail flop

CnC_Freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CnC_Freak
Member since 2004 • 957 Posts

I've actually come to like EA for one reson, C&C3 TW, I know there are plot holes in it, but you can't expect perfection from them. Also there support for the game so far has been supurb. Further more the devs are actually talking to us on the forums, through Apoc the community leader tho... They even are completely accepting of the C&C mod community!

and when it comes to EA "eating" a company, you make it sound like they have no choice in the matter! These companies (Westwood included) 'chose' to merge withEA. I will admit that C&C Generals was a disaster to the C&C community, but they are honestly showing an attempt at trying to please the C&C community with TW and other things.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"][QUOTE="attirex"]

attirex

EA is Jabba the Hut?

Yep. And what we need now is a slim, sexy, curvy independent game developer in a Space-kini (tm) to throw a chain around its neck and choke it to death.

/tail flop

mmmmm....spacekini

np_cartwright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 np_cartwright
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

i like them cause they have made some very good games
although they usualy releace tons of patches to fix the problems they should have solved befor the releace
but overall i think there a goodgamescompany

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
And as for those studios you mentioned selling themselves to EA, I dont know about that. I genuinely dont think that neither Bioware nor Westwood were short on money or success. Both developed incredible games (Neverwinter Nights, C&C series, etc) and I think EA's takeover of them is a simple example of "everyone has their price". When you own a small but successful studio and then EA comes up with their big wallet and says "we want to buy you for 200 million dollars, and we will give you stock options in EA" you dont really have a choice...thats retirement and healthy living at age 40!mrbojangles25
Something a bunch of Maxis guys have mentioned is that with an independent studio, being under the wing of something like EA is a thing they actually hope for, because they think of having a giant publisher behind them as a safety umbrella. They can release great games on their own, but one big failure can sink the whole deal. Bioware didn't really sell themselves, though - they were owned by another group that was created by the now-current CEO of EA. He left that group, came to EA, and basically pulled Bioware over with him right afterward. They've generally been leaving the companies they acquire well enough alone for the last few years, though. I think the corporate culture has become at least aware of what amazing suicide it is to their brand image to so much as reduce the pay of a janitor at someplace like Bioware. As it is, any misstep Bioware makes will instantly become EA's fault. :) Had they released Jade Empire under that logo, you could imagine the flaming you'd be seeing about it being dumbed down or whatever. Sort of like SW: Empire At War. Effectively, Petroglyph is Westwood. On one hand, EA killed the studio, but on the other, not that many people really liked the game/s Westwood ended up making on their own in the present day anyway. Stuff like Origin is gone forever, though. But yeah, it's overblown IMO, at least in the last two-three years. People do tend to pick and choose.
imhioncrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 imhioncrak
Member since 2005 • 31 Posts
I didn't ahte them but i do now that they are getting their greedy hands on Bioware one of the only good, creative gaming companies still alive. But i guess its all business, so what can you do?
goltv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 goltv
Member since 2006 • 114 Posts
Um WOW I had no idea that EA Games did all the S***. That kinda pisses me off. oh well I just hope they stop making games that have potential but are not made to that potential.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
They have poor patches/support and they usually rush the people developing the game to get it released earlier. Not to mention they are the masters of over-hyping a game. They also milk games out of existance. C&C3/Sports games. Sell expansion packs for unheard of prices with minimal content. They've also put advertising in a majority of their newer games.
DryvBy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#38 DryvBy2
Member since 2007 • 287 Posts

Amazing games + Rush = Contradiction

EA is a 1st class 2nd rate gaming company. Three reasons to hate EA: In-game ads galore, Short games, Microtransactions

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

EA is run by suits. That's all it is. Once a company gets a certain size, the heart and soul is ripped out and dressed up in a suit. And then stabbed with a lot of swords until it dies. And then it mutates into a suit monster. And he suit moster is hungry for money.

So if you can imagine a giant heart/suit hybrid eating money, you can imagine EA.

Really, the problem with EA is two-pronged. The first isthat they think their consumer fanbase is all idiots, and the problem is, they're right. Every year they release the same damn games with the same damn names (+1) and the seething masses lap it up. And once companies get so large, it really is true; the money becomes more important than anything. Pleasing the shareholders, keeping that stock price up, making those sales. Growth.

And while a devoted game developer may say, I want to make great games while also making money, a suit says I want to make money any way I can. It's not just EA, either - every company, once it hits a certain size, is run by suits. It's very difficult to keep it from happening.

The second prong to EA's hatability is that the company is big. Big enough to gobble up smaller, weaker companies who are still in the I want to make great games stages. So all those cool games that were awesome are now same-game-new-name psedo-sequels out every year. Which the masses buy. Every year. And I think a lot of those developers don't see it coming. So when their team gets gutted or they find themselves working on a project they just can't connect with, they suddenly want out. I mean, didn't EA recently buy BioWare? Baldur's Gate 2008, anyone?

What we have in EA is a company which gobbles up smaller companies, guts their teams, takes their IPs, gives them to mediocre developers, puts out almost the same game as last time with a +1 and yet is consistently topping charts the world over.

I don't hate EA - or anything/one, but EA is definitely top of my big meanies list. That said, when operating exclusively as a third party publisher, EA is fine. I have no problem buying an EA published game, but when it comes to EA developed games, I think long and hard. And whenever I hear about EA buying a new company, I basically think good-bye.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
mfsa strikes again! :P
assafy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 assafy
Member since 2003 • 189 Posts

oh, and another annoying thing about EA...

why the hell do they keep releasing expansion packs for THE SIMS and dare to charge 50 bucks for a game hat adds only pets/trees/work places/whatever...

it's kinda stupid i say, it's like creating an expansion pack for an fps with another level or two, and selling it for a price of a standalone game

Sr_Mateus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sr_Mateus
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts

Amazing games + Rush = Contradiction

EA is a 1st class 2nd rate gaming company. Three reasons to hate EA: In-game ads galore, Short games, Microtransactions

DryvBy2

I'm speechless. I just said it all with 3 lines of text.

What I think is: I hate Eletronic Arts. I have my reasons for it. So that means I won't buy their games. Unless they manage to make something right (in my book) like Spore. That will be showing them the "right" direction. If you don't like what they did to NFL 2kX and think they only change the number of every year new Madden, do not buy Madden. You'll just endorse their modus operandi doing that. That may no be another NFL but there are other "american football" games out there, if you want that so much. It's about the money. Feed the monster any more dollars and it will become bigger, fatter and meaner.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
Really, the problem with EA is two-pronged. The first isthat they think their consumer fanbase is all idiots, and the problem is, they're right. Every year they release the same damn games with the same damn names (+1) and the seething masses lap it up.mfsa
Very true. Out of all the Need for Speed games ever made, you know which one was the best selling? NFS Underground 2. They went in a different direction with Most Wanted (one which I loved!), and it undersold the previous games by ~2 million, so they thought "we must have done something wrong," and went back in the old direction with Carbon. When they do something right, the gaming population at large can send them a pretty clear bad message. I dunno where the whole people recently complaining about games forced to be released early thing comes from, though. Last I checked, MOH: Airborne was delayed something like 6-9 months (and then the ps3 version was delayed another 2!), Burnout: Paradise was kicked back into 2008, Army of Two was delayed into 2008, Crysis was delayed for most of 2007, and we've still got forumers pissed off that Spore was delayed into mid-2008. That's a lot of big-name games being held back. I dunno what's up with Hellgate coming out in its current state, though.