Why does the system priority in task manager keep changing to low when i set it to anything else

Wolf_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Wolf_Prime
Member since 2016 • 9 Posts

In my task manager I normally set my system priority in the details tab to high or above normal for my games but recently it has been setting the priority to low upon exiting task manager or playing the game. This is causing mass amounts of lag spikes and lower fps pls someone help its the worst thing ever. The game worked well before this issue.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#2 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

You shouldn't have to rely on setting priority to games for the CPU.

You need to free up the CPU when you want to game or you have a weak CPU that cannot multi-task well. You either have too much junk running constantly or a low/weak CPU that lacks cores or even just power to manage everything you're expecting your computer to do.

When you want to game, stop any programs that would be running the background (anti-virus or other crap you're not using). This will free up the CPU and focus its use on the game.

If you're absolutely set on not changing anything and want to strictly rely on trying to set the CPU priority on programs, perhaps instead of trying to set the Priority, set the Affinity. If you're not sure how to set the Affinity, just google it.

Setting the Affinity means you can choose what cores on your CPU are dedicated to what programs. So if you have to keep some programs running the background you can limit what CPU cores they can use, and then you set the Affinity for the game to use the other CPU cores. I've done this before in the past. It's not a common thing I've done, but it worked just fine in the few instances I had to do it.