why do people hate great games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bachilders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 bachilders
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts
Some of my friends who are all avid gamers surprise me all the time. One says they hate TF2 ( then buys it), then they hate guild wars (now plays more than me), then they hate Far Cry (then get Far Cry 2 ?) then they hate Crysis (and ask to borrow it?)then they hate Medieval Total War (and love Rome?), hate almost all of the good mods for HL2, and finally despise Half-Life 2 itself. Ths wouldnt be surprising if all he liked were sports games, but he hates them too, infact, he is a big fan of the genres of these games, but for some reasons hates the best games of the genre, so I just can't figure it out? How can a rational guy hate so many good games? He seems to get most of these games eventually one way or another, so is he just afraid of new things or what? I can't convince him to try hl2. Oh, and he also hates Mount and Blade:evil:
Rigga911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Rigga911
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
cause people have opinions
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
Things that seem small and insignificant to one player can annoy another player to no end. Hence you might think a game is fun, but somebody else can't get past the unresponsive controls so they hate it. There's also hype-factors in which if a fan base says GameA is the best game ever, and a player thinks it's good, but not that good they tend to negate the hype. Hence they'll call a good game crap to balance the fanboy hype.
RancidSumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RancidSumo
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Because not all "good" games are actually good. WoW sucks and lots of people say it is good. I personally never liked the games on the Orange Box that much but everyone else seems to (mabey I just need to give it another try, I didn't play it that much). Some games just aren't fun to some people.
boshlonavish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 boshlonavish
Member since 2005 • 1229 Posts
Because people think that not liking things that are popular makes them cool.
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
Things that seem small and insignificant to one player can annoy another player to no end. Hence you might think a game is fun, but somebody else can't get past the unresponsive controls so they hate it. There's also hype-factors in which if a fan base says GameA is the best game ever, and a player thinks it's good, but not that good they tend to negate the hype. Hence they'll call a good game crap to balance the fanboy hype.jrhawk42
hah, this pretty much describes me and gears of war. i quit the game after the update that ****ed up the boomshot, but i had kind of hated it before that because of stupid small things, like the sound they make when they sprint (why does it always sound like theyre running on gravel!?!?) and the vague art style (is it sci fi? modern contemporary? post apocalyptic? choose dammit!). and i hated how people always said it was the best game EVAR, even though the multiplayer felt kind of tacked on and the whole thing played like a stripped down version of graw.
xwolfghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 xwolfghost
Member since 2005 • 6076 Posts
Because not all "good" games are actually good. WoW sucks and lots of people say it is good. I personally never liked the games on the Orange Box that much but everyone else seems to (mabey I just need to give it another try, I didn't play it that much). Some games just aren't fun to some people.RancidSumo
You can't please everyone, like this guy. Saying the best selling game of all time sucks, why is it the best selling game then... I also find people hate things without even trying to play them...
Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

The biggest selling box office movie of all time was titanic...must be the best movie ever! Or alot of people have bad taste....same goes for games.

RancidSumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RancidSumo
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="RancidSumo"]Because not all "good" games are actually good. WoW sucks and lots of people say it is good. I personally never liked the games on the Orange Box that much but everyone else seems to (mabey I just need to give it another try, I didn't play it that much). Some games just aren't fun to some people.xwolfghost
You can't please everyone, like this guy. Saying the best selling game of all time sucks, why is it the best selling game then... I also find people hate things without even trying to play them...

I did play WoW and it sucked. A million people can think a stupid though, it is still stupid. Same applies to games. Just because a million people buy a game doesn't make it good. That is like saying that Obama will be a good POTUS just because a lot of people voted for him. There are a lot of dumb people on Earth so majority is not usually the best system to make decisions on. WoW is a terrible, boring, waste of time and money and I don't care how many people bought it, they can't change my opinion on that.
regnumekal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 regnumekal
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts

I can hardly find games that I hate, hell I love even American McGee Bad Day LA, though I consider it a bad game. Generally speaking, people tend to hate things that are popular to the masses. Take for example a match between Real Madrid and Real Santander. The people out of Spain will almost all support Madrid, because it's so cool, has a great history and the best players. But I say hell no, where's the fun with a powerful team. I chose the weakest just out of principle. That's why PC gamers love indie games more.

Then there's the "cooler" effect. Say all people play TF2. This guy comes and sees a bunch of people that love the game. He didn't even try the game, but says it's bad because he judged by the fact that all those people were saying that TF2 is cool, but never mentioned why. Like this:

(1st player)-I love TF2!

(2nd player)-Best game ever!

(3rd player)-Team Fortress 2 is my God

(4th player)-Yeah!

Then that guy goes and finds a not-so-popular game and calls it The Best Game Ever. People that didn't hear of it will blindly believe him and call him cooler, because he talked about a neverheardbefore game and didn't repeat like a fool the words of the masses. Yay, now go find yourself a JRPG!

The third is the "older" effect. People tend to hate older games that launched before they started gaming and games that try to recreate them. You can see often posts like Icewind Dale is sh*t or Baldur's Gate, or even now Dragon Age; same goes to the first HL, System Shock, Deus Ex, Neverwinter Nights, Quake series... Just yesterday I was playing Savage: Battle For Newerth and somehow the discussion ended with Quake III, the first guy said that the game is good, then a bunch of players appeared and said Quake III is sh*t I responded with "Quake III is God", then one guy comes and says "go buy yourself L4D and TF2 and you'll feel the real gaming". Well that made me think. How does the fact that L4D and TF2 are good games change the fact that Quake III is also a good game?

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

People who don't like a game will inevitably be louder than those who like it, because those who like it are too busy playing and enjoying it. Impressional people who have never played the game will read forum posts and user reviews about it, then join in on dissing the game, feeling good about themselves because they never wasted any of thier precious time playing it. Plus, it's much easier to hate something than to try to understand it.

I guess what I'm saying is that all Fallout 3 haters are racists. :D

Kaelken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kaelken
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts

Once you've been around for a while you realize how everything is a copy of a copy - if you are new to this you are easily amused.

Same thing with girls, the harder you are to please the less you have to choose from.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#13 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

If we all had the exact same taste in games, there wouldn't be alot at all. It's like saying IF everyone ends up liking Sci Fi, then they'd make star wars/star trek etc movies.

Anyway, yea , everyone has different opinions especially when my friend told me he hated Assassins Creed so much, but IMO it was fun while it lasted, maybe needs better gameplay, but all in all quite decent.