Why did Risen only get a 7.0 on Gamespot? It deserves much better!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Timberwolf5578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Timberwolf5578
Member since 2008 • 311 Posts

Risen is one of the best action RPGs I have played in years! It easily deserves at least a 9.0.

Who agrees?

Kikujir0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kikujir0
Member since 2008 • 137 Posts

Overshadowed by the glory of dragon age...

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

Yeah, I'd give it more than 7.0 too!

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts

The 360 version was garbage, thats why.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
deactivated-5e376fa88bd45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
Member since 2004 • 4403 Posts

Overshadowed by the glory of dragon age...

Kikujir0

Risen came out waay before Dragon Age.

I wouldn't look too much into it. These days i'm noticing a trend where gamespot reviews are farther off than the consensus of players.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
Probably because it's more PC-centric. Which doesn't go over well with the console crowd.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I think so, it deserves better scores.
TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts

Probably because it's more PC-centric. Which doesn't go over well with the console crowd.zomglolcats
only when the 360 version is balls, if its only kinda crappy then the console crowd will ove it as if it were the best game ever. Lets compare it to demons souls on ps3, risen is the better game yet demons souls got a 9/10 from mostly everyone.

Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts
I've been playing it for 15 hours now, so far it's boring the hell out of me. Hope it will get interesting at some point. Right now i'd give it less than 7.
carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 carlosjuero
Member since 2008 • 1254 Posts
Because, believe it or not, people have differing opinions? I wasn't blown away by Risen - 7.0 seems like a fair score to me (though I might actually rate it lower - thats my opinion though).
the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

Meh it wasn't that great... I probably would of given it a 7 too

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
I would have given it a 8.0. But you know, opinions...
Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

The combat is better than Dragon Age

The visuals are better than Dragon Age

'

The chartacters are more likable and more memorable (especially NPCs) than Dragon Age

The length, story, voice acting, and animation are equal with Dragon Age

'

Risen deserves at least a 9/10, - Oh - but Risen didn't have excessive gore or man-on-man sex - so the pop culture sites and the teeny boppers are going to score Dragon Age higher

Sad really.

the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

Born_Lucky

Yeah dunno about that one mate

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Haven't played it, but a friend of mine who is a Gothic fan hates it. Surprised me tbh.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Yeah, well.. it is Gamespot, after all. I really liked Risen, though it tapered off at the end.. it was still pretty enjoyable. I think I gave it an 8, or something. It was certainly more fun than Oblivion, which according to Gamespot appears to be one of the best action RPG's of all time.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Not a 9/10 but more than that.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
Probably because it's more PC-centric. Which doesn't go over well with the console crowd.zomglolcats
I kind of agree with this, most gaming sites, especially GS is more console-centric.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gooeykat
[QUOTE="Born_Lucky"]

'

The chartacters are more likable and more memorable (especially NPCs) than Dragon Age

'

Risen deserves at least a 9/10, - Oh - but Risen didn't have excessive gore or man-on-man sex - so the pop culture sites and the teeny boppers are going to score Dragon Age higher

Sad really.

DA has man-on-man sex?
Timberwolf5578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Timberwolf5578
Member since 2008 • 311 Posts

[QUOTE="zomglolcats"]Probably because it's more PC-centric. Which doesn't go over well with the console crowd.TerroRizing

only when the 360 version is balls, if its only kinda crappy then the console crowd will ove it as if it were the best game ever. Lets compare it to demons souls on ps3, risen is the better game yet demons souls got a 9/10 from mostly everyone.

Demons Souls is a superb game, but it has one MAJOR FAULT and that is no ability to properly save your progress. And because of that, I agree that Risen is the better game.

-clippa-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -clippa-
Member since 2008 • 596 Posts

Agreed, risen was easily an 8. I'd give it 8.5, It was a tad buggy and outstayed it's welcome towards the end, would have benfited from being an hour or so shorter, but I had great fun playing that game. It was such a pleasant suprise because it came out of nowhere for me, I'd never played the gothic games.

One of the best games of 2009 for sure. 7 my foot :D

napalm_winter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 napalm_winter
Member since 2004 • 663 Posts

It was easily one of my favorite games of the year. It deserved an 8.5 I thought.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Dragon Age killed it....
MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts

Born_Lucky

Come on now, I'll grant you the other ones even though I don't agree (Minus the graphics) but this one is total BS.

Played Risen, decent game but nothing overly special. A 7 or 8 I think is a reasonable score for it, all things considered I don't think it was as good as Dragon Age.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
[QUOTE="Born_Lucky"]

'

'

Sad really.

No, yes and no, models go to dragon age, environments to Risen, no, and definitely no. And this is coming from a HUGE Gothic fan.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

'

'

Sad really.

Born_Lucky

I detect a poster that hasn't played Dragon Age.

The combat - whatever, I can understand that some players don't like to think. The characters: hell no. The Stone Prisoner (FREE DLC) alone beats the entire Risen cast. There's no debate about this. Also, the party banter is superb; the main dialogue may be a bit to pompous and the modern terms are annoying sometimes, but it's way better than Risen's. Risen has a very pedestrian script.

Length - I think that's a joke on your part. Story - both equally generic, but at least Dragon Age allows many more permutations and has a much better background. Voice acting - apart from Gimli and King Kong, all Risen's voice actors are just... you know, nothing special. Every voice of Dragon Age was intelligently cast. Please, find me better voice actors in Risen than Claudia Black (Morrigan!) or Alistair's. Or that dwarf in your camp.

Animation - lol. Dragon Age used stuntmen from 300, and every monster animation was manually enhanced by animators. Risen recycles 2000's Gothic motion capture...

The graphics are much worse in Risen from a technical standpoint. Terrifying facial animation and repetition, especially. But I love the art style, it looks like a painting sometimes.

And what is this about sex in DA? Have you missed the misogyny and pre-pubescent attitude that steams from Risen's female characterisation and design?

I hate it that I have to act like that lunatic that accused me I bash Dragon Age in every post, but you're really trolling the game for no reason at all.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#27 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I Agree, Its a 8.5 or 9/10 imo. It was tons of fun.

Dragon Age is the best rpg of this year, with Risen the 2nd best.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#28 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

Because it was made by the Gothic devs. I hated those games.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gooeykat

I don't know why we have to do this DA vs. Risen comparison. I'm just happy to Risen, DA and Torchlight all in one year! Three excellent CRPGs with varying gameplay styles all released within a few months of each other. When was the last time that happened? Usually, we're lucky to get one decent RPG a year.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kozzy1234

I don't know why we have to do this DA vs. Risen comparison. I'm just happy to Risen, DA and Torchlight all in one year! Three excellent CRPGs with varying gameplay styles all released within a few months of each other. When was the last time that happened? Usually, we're lucky to get one decent RPG a year.

Gooeykat

I agree, why does there have to be so much arguing and hate?

I personally loved both Risen and Dragon Age a hell of alot!
Two differnt kind of rpgs, but both games gave me a good 50 hours of great gaming!

Lemonio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lemonio
Member since 2006 • 513 Posts

DA story and charachters are definetly better than those of risen...

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

The 360 version was garbage, thats why.

TerroRizing

That's not a good reason to give the PC version a 7.0

Annihilation01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Annihilation01
Member since 2009 • 34 Posts

The combat is better than Dragon Age I REALLY LOLD

The visuals are better than Dragon Age mmhmm

'

The chartacters are more likable and more memorable (especially NPCs) than Dragon Age LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

The length, story, voice acting, and animation are equal with Dragon AgeLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

'

Sad really.

Born_Lucky

...hmm...

granpupo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 granpupo
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Dear Born_Lucky,
I dont think you should estimate a game quality by comparing it with another one. I didn't play the Dragon Age, and judging by the previews & reviews I'mnot even going to.
It is better to estimate a game by general parameters

replayability- 3 (many gamers will join the opinion)
the plot - 3 (here I admit I have to compare it with its elder sisters - Gothic I, II, III)
originality - 1 (that's my own estimation, but there's really nothing new in the game)
graphics - 8
sound - 8
interface - 9 (very good and even great)

dividing these total 32 points by 6 above parameters I get only 5.3 for the "awesome game".
Well, someone would rate it higher, but not 9.0, of course. It is ridiculous.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
[QUOTE="Timberwolf5578"]

Risen is one of the best action RPGs I have played in years! It easily deserves at least a 9.0.

Who agrees?

Why did Risen only get a 7.0 on Gamespot? It deserves much better! I disagree, people are allowed to have opinions, you just have to respect it, i played the game I disagree... I didn't really find the game to be that enjoyable, but that's my opinion.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
From everything I see, Risen pretty much sucked. Looks like your average RPG.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kozzy1234

From everything I see, Risen pretty much sucked. Looks like your average RPG.F1_2004

Thats why we play videogames... because screenshots and videos dont do most games justice. Try playing the game, its not an average rpg at all, the gameworld is awesome, it has some of the best voice acting around and the atmosphere is great

Salacius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Salacius
I believe 8/10 would be fair. I liked the stories, quests, i really liked it... but there's something wrong about the characters, faces look weird, and... it's a pity, cause it's a good game, backgrounds al beautiful, specially water... also, the interface is too simple, almost like it didn't matter if risen had dragon age looks, it would be a 10/10
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]From everything I see, Risen pretty much sucked. Looks like your average RPG.kozzy1234

Thats why we play videogames... because screenshots and videos dont do most games justice. Try playing the game, its not an average rpg at all, the gameworld is awesome, it has some of the best voice acting around and the atmosphere is great

I'm not gonna try it when it looks and feels average, majority of people are saying it's nothing special, and the reviews are mediocre, and a much superior Dragon Age is already out. That would be silly.
Salacius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Salacius
[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]From everything I see, Risen pretty much sucked. Looks like your average RPG.F1_2004

I'm not gonna try it when it looks and feels average, majority of people are saying it's nothing special, and the reviews are mediocre, and a much superior Dragon Age is already out. That would be silly.

it's different, as you see, some people like it and some don't. It doesn't suck, not necessarilly
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
I think it's because it didn't had much hype, as hype easily makes GS forget lots of the game's fault
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]From everything I see, Risen pretty much sucked. Looks like your average RPG.F1_2004

I wouldn't say Dragon Age is much superior. I was addicted to both games immediately, both games I restarted halfway through to try another character type, and by the end I was kind of sick of both games. Actually, I was really sick of Dragon Age; I had to force myself to play through the ending portion. I think Dragon Age comes out on top only for the romances/party interactions, and I'd give it just a half point above Risen at most.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gooeykat
[QUOTE="F1_2004"][QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

From everything I see, Risen pretty much sucked. Looks like your average RPG.F1_2004

If I had listened to reviewers, I wouldn't of played either Gothic 1 or Gothic 2, which would of been huge loss on my part. Both are fantastic IMHO. Oh, and the metascore for Risen is 8.0, which isn't average.