Why did Nvidia go backwards?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts
I know technically the performance is greater than the 8800GTX but the ram went from 768 to 512 and the bus went from 384 back to the standard 256. I'm not 100% up on the technical issues with video cards but to me this really seems like a step in the wrong direction. That being said I just purchased an 8800 GT 512 for 179.99 and after seeing the benchmarks for the 9800x2 and gtx i must say i'm very happy with my purchase
loopnaarhel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 loopnaarhel
Member since 2005 • 182 Posts

Nvidia is still using the 65nm ,they should use the new 45nm high speed less power hungry gpu's but the 9900GT/X will use the 55nm and a new chipset G200

raze-boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 raze-boi
Member since 2006 • 853 Posts

I think Nvidia is releasing the 9th Series as a rush because after the 9th Series, it will be a whole new line of Product.

Proof: ATi's 9th Series was OK but then came the X Series, there goes Crossfire and all the stuffs.

jernas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 jernas
Member since 2005 • 1514 Posts
What are you talking about? You know the performance is better, why the hell do you call it a step backwards than? Do you know that this card would cost about $500 if it had 768MB, 386-bit... Who would buy that?
AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AA7
Member since 2003 • 2845 Posts

What are you talking about? You know the performance is better, why the hell do you call it a step backwards than? Do you know that this card would cost about $500 if it had 768MB, 386-bit... Who would buy that?jernas

Alot of people would. What, you dont think that they sold any GTX's or Ultras? They certianly did.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
on the newer core of the GTS 512MB, i think they improved texture fetch effeciency over the older GTX chips so the performance hit caused by less ram and a narrower bus is minimal at all but the highest resolutions. with the GTS also having a faster core, shader and memory speed, it wasnt really a step backwards...just a more efficent use of resources.
Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts

1. G92 is 256 bit strictly. If they wanted to have a 384 bit bus, they would have to take a direct shrink of G80 or design a new chip--but why should NVIDIA do that? ATI aren't pressuring them enough to warrant spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to take G92 and modify it to widen the bus.

2. Because the bus is 256 bit, the only possible VRAM densities are: 256MB, 512MB, 1024MB and 2048MB.

3. G92 loses out to G80 at high resolutions and or high AA (because of said lack of memory bandwidth).

4. NVIDIA have yet to disclose details of architectures based on a 45nm process. Further, TSMC don't even have a 45nm process (I think) for NVIDIA to hire. If anything, NVIDIA will/may try to shrink G92 to 55nm, or they could go ahead and launch their next gen architecture (GT200/G100) on 55nm or 40nm (if it's late enough).

To sum up why NVIDIA didn't take a leap forward: There really isn't much reason to.

At least with Intel we have Penryn, Nehalem and Silverthorne coming out (despite AMD still being slightly concussed from Core 2) on schedule. We aren't so lucky with NVIDIA and ATI though--if either one dominates the competition, progress and thus performance will stall.

Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts

I think Nvidia is releasing the 9th Series as a rush because after the 9th Series, it will be a whole new line of Product.

Proof: ATi's 9th Series was OK but then came the X Series, there goes Crossfire and all the stuffs.

raze-boi

Umm... that is not proof and ATI's 9 series was amazing and kicked NVIDIA around at the time.

SearchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SearchMaster
Member since 2005 • 7243 Posts
on the newer core of the GTS 512MB, i think they improved texture fetch effeciency over the older GTX chips so the performance hit caused by less ram and a narrower bus is minimal at all but the highest resolutions. with the GTS also having a faster core, shader and memory speed, it wasnt really a step backwards...just a more efficent use of resources.osan0
This is right but their newer cards isnt more than tweaked chips to have small performance difference... They cant really call it anew series just for that
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="osan0"]on the newer core of the GTS 512MB, i think they improved texture fetch effeciency over the older GTX chips so the performance hit caused by less ram and a narrower bus is minimal at all but the highest resolutions. with the GTS also having a faster core, shader and memory speed, it wasnt really a step backwards...just a more efficent use of resources.SearchMaster
This is right but their newer cards isnt more than tweaked chips to have small performance difference... They cant really call it anew series just for that

They're taking it easy because ATI's last shot, the HD3870, was a miss. About all they did was provide a counterpart to the 3870x2 (the 9800x2). The ball's in ATI's court right now. They're the ones having to catch up. If their R700 lives up to the hype, then you can probably expect nVidia to shift back into gear and step up work on the GT200.
SearchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SearchMaster
Member since 2005 • 7243 Posts
[QUOTE="SearchMaster"][QUOTE="osan0"]on the newer core of the GTS 512MB, i think they improved texture fetch effeciency over the older GTX chips so the performance hit caused by less ram and a narrower bus is minimal at all but the highest resolutions. with the GTS also having a faster core, shader and memory speed, it wasnt really a step backwards...just a more efficent use of resources.HuusAsking

They're taking it easy because ATI's last shot, the HD3870, was a miss. About all they did was provide a counterpart to the 3870x2 (the 9800x2). The ball's in ATI's court right now. They're the ones having to catch up. If their R700 lives up to the hype, then you can probably expect nVidia to shift back into gear and step up work on the GT200.

I think the war between R700 with GT200 will remind us of old days with 6-series from nvidia and 9000 from ATI
Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="SearchMaster"][QUOTE="osan0"]on the newer core of the GTS 512MB, i think they improved texture fetch effeciency over the older GTX chips so the performance hit caused by less ram and a narrower bus is minimal at all but the highest resolutions. with the GTS also having a faster core, shader and memory speed, it wasnt really a step backwards...just a more efficent use of resources.SearchMaster

I think the war between R700 with GT200 will remind us of old days with 6-series from nvidia and 9000 from ATI

You mean X100 series?

The ATI 9 series dominated the NVIDIA FX series.

com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 com2006
Member since 2006 • 900 Posts

[QUOTE="SearchMaster"][QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="SearchMaster"][QUOTE="osan0"]on the newer core of the GTS 512MB, i think they improved texture fetch effeciency over the older GTX chips so the performance hit caused by less ram and a narrower bus is minimal at all but the highest resolutions. with the GTS also having a faster core, shader and memory speed, it wasnt really a step backwards...just a more efficent use of resources.Wesker776

You mean X100 series?

The ATI 9 series dominated the NVIDIA FX series.

Actually it was the X series...