Why Blizzard should NOT give early, speculative release dates

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts

EDIT: Thread link deleted requesting lock

Check out this thread regarding "regularly scheduled" server maintenance on World of Warcraft:

That's seven posts, beginning with an end date at 9 AM, each progressively ticking up the end time by about an hour and ending with the current (as of this posting) time of 3 PM.

Seriously, read that. It's like "OK, 10AM. NO WAIT! 11 AM. NO WAIT!!" Why do they even bother telling us anything when it's this obvious they're making it up. They've done this the past four maintenance periods, progressively adding a couple hours to the maintenance period each time instead of giving us a realistic estimate. It's enough to make me think it's intentional.

It's fortunate they take the "when it's done" approach to videogame development, else we'd see "November 20th. NO WAIT! November 23rd. NO WAIT!" ad nauseum.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
Member since 2005 • 1890 Posts
It's not a big deal...
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
Topic was deleted. And it is regular, they do this every week...Yeah, it takes a bit longer, or a bit less time every week but that's just how it goes.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Check out this thread regarding "regularly scheduled" server maintenance on World of Warcraft:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=26137154945&sid=1

That's seven posts, beginning with an end date at 9 AM, each progressively ticking up the end time by about an hour and ending with the current (as of this posting) time of 3 PM.

Seriously, read that. It's like "OK, 10AM. NO WAIT! 11 AM. NO WAIT!!" Why do they even bother telling us anything when it's this obvious they're making it up. They've done this the past four maintenance periods, progressively adding a couple hours to the maintenance period each time instead of giving us a realistic estimate. It's enough to make me think it's intentional.

It's fortunate they take the "when it's done" approach to videogame development, else we'd see "November 20th. NO WAIT! November 23rd. NO WAIT!" ad nauseum.

Brownesque
You build a server hosting a MMORPG with 10 million people and then do the maintenance on it.... see how well you can schedule time?
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Brownesque
[QUOTE="Brownesque"]

FelipeInside
You build a server hosting a MMORPG with 10 million people and then do the maintenance on it.... see how well you can schedule time?

I'm suggesting that they don't schedule it due to the fact that it's apparently an impossible task. By "realistic" estimates I mean that they give a significant buffer instead of underestimating the maintenance time which they seem to do every maintenance cycle. Maybe it would help if you chewed on the OP seeing as you totally missed my point.
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
lol wth?
Anthony01355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Anthony01355
Member since 2006 • 1486 Posts

Is this about the weekly maintenance taking too long? addicted much?

tricap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tricap
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Well it just makes it awesome when it gets pushed back...
iamthejapanman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 iamthejapanman
Member since 2003 • 37 Posts

Well, ignoring your seeming addiction to WoW... People like to have time estimates believe it or not. I know it would drive me crazy if there wasn't a time estimate back when I still played and it would probably lead to me constantly trying to log for probably 30 minutes straight before giving up and trying a little less frequently. Since you seem to hate the unpredictability of the real world I'd suggest ignoring their estimates and just try logging in. If the server is down, try again in an hour or so. That way you don't have to get upset over the time estimates changing and people who appreciate the updates can continue enjoying them.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Solution: Go do something outside on tuesday mornings.

I've been playing WoW for 5 years, it isnt that bad.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Brownesque"]

Brownesque

I'm suggesting that they don't schedule it due to the fact that it's apparently an impossible task. By "realistic" estimates I mean that they give a significant buffer instead of underestimating the maintenance time which they seem to do every maintenance cycle. Maybe it would help if you chewed on the OP seeing as you totally missed my point.

I'm not chewing on anyone... All I'm saying is that I myself fix PCs/Network, and nearly never can I give a customer a perfect timeframe on when I'm going to finish the job etc...
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="Brownesque"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] You build a server hosting a MMORPG with 10 million people and then do the maintenance on it.... see how well you can schedule time?FelipeInside

I'm not chewing on anyone... All I'm saying is that I myself fix PCs/Network, and nearly never can I give a customer a perfect timeframe on when I'm going to finish the job etc...

Blizzard is only wrong sometimes. Many times also, they will put, login server down, we'll give you an update in 1 hour.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Can I ask you a question OP? Do you work in a similar field that gives you some kind of experience to go off of and make the determination that they are "obviously making it up?" Do you even work at all? Because I do, and this kind of thing is common. Sometimes issues arise that seem to have apparent solutions that progressively get worse. A "1 hour fix" can sometimes turn into a all day ordeal. Like someone already mentioned, they are running one of the largest MMO's on the planet, with millions of people playing daily. Cut them some slack...maybe?
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Brownesque
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Brownesque"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] You build a server hosting a MMORPG with 10 million people and then do the maintenance on it.... see how well you can schedule time?

Then don't give them a false estimate. But you don't, right? All I'm saying is this indicates that Blizzard's policy of not giving early release dates is obviously a wise one because they can't predict when things will be finished worth a damn.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
No, what you don't understand is that sometimes estimates *are* correct, but occasionally unforeseen issues not accounted for during the initial estimate can arise and you are forced to make adjustments. It's not as simple as you think, and it's clear that you simply just don't understand what you are talking about. Manage any kind of major network and then come back and give your suggestions, because right now they are useless and uninformed.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]No, what you don't understand is that sometimes estimates *are* correct, but occasionally unforeseen issues not accounted for during the initial estimate can arise and you are forced to make adjustments. It's not as simple as you think, and it's clear that you simply just don't understand what you are talking about. Manage any kind of major network and then come back and give your suggestions, because right now they are useless and uninformed.

This. Of course I give my customers an estimate... but most of them know that when it's a big fix, or upgrade, some things can arise or other things don't turn out right and it takes longer. Gee, I went to install a printer onsite the other day....should of been a 30 minute job, which turned into nearly the whole morning due to one thing or another going wrong..
Avatar image for deactivated-60f7582dcaa79
deactivated-60f7582dcaa79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-60f7582dcaa79
Member since 2004 • 510 Posts
Wow dude if you think your maintenece is bad be happy you arn't addicted to a less popular MMO without a huge budget to run on lol
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
How to spot a WoW addict: When he complains the servers arent back online from maintenace on the exact minute theyre supposed to be.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]How to spot a WoW addict: When he complains the servers arent back online from maintenace on the exact minute theyre supposed to be.

LOL.... and in the meantime, he goes back and plays WoW Trading Card Game...
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Brownesque"] I'm suggesting that they don't schedule it due to the fact that it's apparently an impossible task. By "realistic" estimates I mean that they give a significant buffer instead of underestimating the maintenance time which they seem to do every maintenance cycle. Maybe it would help if you chewed on the OP seeing as you totally missed my point.Brownesque

Then don't give them a false estimate. But you don't, right? All I'm saying is this indicates that Blizzard's policy of not giving early release dates is obviously a wise one because they can't predict when things will be finished worth a damn.

This opinion is beyond ignorant. Just because the router at your house has a nearly 100% uptime serving your 1 computer doesn't mean countless servers will have the same uptime.

As systems get larger, the chance of failure becomes larger and larger and more and more likely. Beyond that, maintainence sometimes introduces unforseen problems that you have sometimes little idea of how long it will take, and iirc the day in which you complained, there was a post on the forums about it being extended maintainence.

Bedizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bedizen
Member since 2009 • 2576 Posts

It's just an estimate or would you rather have "it will be back when it's back"?

Somewhere I'm not seeing the problem you are experiencing.