Who here has played Black Mesa Source?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k41m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 k41m
Member since 2011 • 879 Posts

I've been playing it off and on for awhile now but I just read somewhere that it isn't even the full game, like theres no Xen and no ending. Is this true?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

There where no Xen levels when I played it back when the Black Mesa remake came out, not sure if they have been added since then.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

When it was released it had no alien levels at the end.

It may still be that way.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#4 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Yeah they haven't done the Xen levels yet, they decided to release the game up to that point. It was a smart move in hindsight for a few reasons.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I played it, was fun.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

It still doesn't have the Xen levels. Big changes are coming. It's gonna be an official product on Steam at some point. Also, it was the best FPS of last year. No question.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#7 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I really enjoyed what was there, might be the best looking Source engine game out there.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Whats the ETA for Steam release?

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Awesome mod but no ending. It's pretty damn fantastic though, I enjoyed it quite a lot!

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I played it and it blew my mind . Yes , there are still no Xen levels in the game . They had planned to release it as update later but they still haven't done that yet . Other than that , excellent game .

May be once it becomes official product in the future , they'll get resources to finish it . It already took them 9 years to make this remake . They were short on resources . Luckily , now Valve have permitted them to release this game as official product , with price tag (it is free ATM) .

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

The last official word I read on their website was that finishing the Xen levels has been put off because they had to convert the entire game into a newer version of Source in order to get the endorsement from Valve and release it as an official product and start making money on it. The Steam version will have the Xen levels, but probably won't be out for a while. They will also be continuing support for the free mod version, and adding the Xen levels to it, as well. The whole game will be available as a free mod, but the paid Steam version will just have some extra premium features. My guess is that it'll have the whole gamut of Steam social stuff, like trading cards, some kind of marketable in game drops, etc. Hopefully it'll have some multiplayer. Motherfuckin Black Mesa: Deathmatch? Day one buy.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 SYSTEM-REBOOT
Member since 2014 • 658 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

May be once it becomes official product in the future , they'll get resources to finish it . It already took them 9 years to make this remake . They were short on resources . Luckily , now Valve have permitted them to release this game as official product , with price tag (it is free ATM) .

if it will come out full as full game with update source engine. it will be greatest remake of all time. well even incomplete is better than any remake.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I will def buy it (assuming its not priced stupidly high) There is just so much good stuff in there and I love just about all the changes they made. I did have quite a few crashes towards the end of the game, so hopefully those are cleaned up for the proper release.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58857 Posts

It had some general levels chopped out as well. Thankfully, someone else (who apparently wasn't part of black mesa) added them in.

It's interesting that this game from 1998 with a coat of paint still feels leagues better than the shite we are playing today. Truly the best FPS ever made.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46203 Posts

@k41m: They are working on the newer levels and more content.

They said they will also bring back parts of levels that were cut for this release (cut for pacing)

Once the game shows up on steam, it should be complete.

@with_teeth26 said:

I really enjoyed what was there, might be the best looking Source engine game out there.

+1

Really impressive for a community product. Has to be one of the best mods I've ever played

Avatar image for awesomesoldier4
awesomesoldier4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By awesomesoldier4
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

I'd really appreciate them marketing the remade versions of Blue Shift (Guard Duty) and Opposing Force (Operation Black Mesa) as well. In addition maybe throwing in training levels and Co-op. But not to be too picky, I'll just be thankful to get the games at all. Hope the makers keep up the great work, and I'll be happy to support. Much love.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#17  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17799 Posts

I played the free mod. No Xen levels, but that is not a bad thing because those levels sucked. I remember LMAO at the giant testicle spider though.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9396 Posts

I played it when 70-80% was available. Fantastic recreation of Black Mesa.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I don't pay for mods.