Which WWII series delivers the purest and best WWII experience?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I'm getting into WWII games lately after being an addict to Company of Heroes (one of the best RTS's ever by the way), so I want to discuss some good WWII first person shooter discussions. Also, I want to learn from these discussions on which series is best and worth reliving (or purchasing)all over again.

Here's what I know so far, but since I'm a noob with WWII games, any more info and thoughts from veteran gamers in this forum would help a lot:

• Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Maybe the first WWII game that popularized this genre and started it all. I think the D-Day scene captured in this game is still unmatched.
  • Battlefield 1942 - Arcade-style meets WWII, and equals pure fun. Also, is it the first one that successfully blended online multiplayer?
  • Call of Duty - Considered by many as the best one. Which ones best in the series? Is the first and original still the best?
  • Brothers in Arms - Probably the most realistic one in terms of gameplay because of its focus on tactical warfare rather than running and gunning. Also, I personally have a lot of interest in this series the most because it also has a good story. The other WWII games virtually have no story but it's all mission-based separated into different campaigns. Brothers in Arms looks like Band of Brothers the video game, so this is a plus to me.

Anyway, I already mentioned Company of Heroes, but I wanted to discuss shooters. Which of these series (and post if I'm missing any noteworthy ones...Hour of Vic "turd" ry doesn't count ), delivers the most purest, unadulterated, genuine WWII experience? Also, which one of these series equally delivers the most fun, run and gun, pure-bred, crazy over-the-top action ever?

So far, (with the exception of Company of Heroes), I'm liking Brothers in Arms because of the tactical gameplay and the story. But it looks like Call of Duty takes the crown when it comes to intense action-packed gameplay. But any info and thoughts on the others would be great as well...maybe I should just buy all of them.

Let the discussions commence!

Orcishman05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Orcishman05
Member since 2006 • 210 Posts
Honestly man, there are sadly no ww2 shooters that are realistic enough to deliver a real ww2 experience. They are all just games with guns, but the guns and scene just happens to be world war 2. Youre not gonna find one that really makes you feel like you are in ww2. Those games teach you nothing but the names of some of the guns and some locations battles where fought. But this is just my opinion, I like the realistic shooters like GRAW 2 and RB:6 and I enjoy historical accuracy when it comes to games dealing with past wars, sadly ive yet to see a ww2 game with that.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
For WW2 games I enjoy the Call of Duty series the most, especially the first game. These games are probably as close to WW2 as you'd want to get, and what the poster above me stated is pretty much correct in my eyes.

If you do want a little more realistic approch to WW2, I would try Red Orchestra. It's set on the eastern front, and shoots for a more realistic feel.

Call of Duty, as I said above, is the best WW2 series. IMO.
gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts
Call of Duty, Red Orchestra for realism.
Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Artosa
Member since 2005 • 5063 Posts
Red orchestra and combat mission.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
CoD seriess
BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts
Red Orchestra
gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts

CoD2 i thought and ive played all of them.

brothers in arms is good too.

Pessu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pessu
Member since 2007 • 944 Posts

CoD because you can actually play as a russian or english soldier instead of american for a change.

orchid_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 orchid_boy
Member since 2004 • 438 Posts
CoD and Brothers in Arms for me, all series never failed me...MoH: Pacific Assault very dissapointing, although previous series are great
ShadowFFVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 ShadowFFVI
Member since 2004 • 378 Posts
Definitely CoD, with BIA coming in a close second, I think BIA has too much lame squad control stuff, and COD2 replicates the intensity much better, with much less realistic shooting.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
World War II Online: Battleground Europe is pretty good ;)
-AK47-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -AK47-
Member since 2007 • 3277 Posts
Call of Duty series.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
BiA is the king for me
PCgamerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PCgamerX
Member since 2004 • 324 Posts

The Wolfenstein games are set in WWII-- Wolfenstein 3D, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. The latter is a multiplayer-only free download.

MoH, CoD, and BiA are all great series-- I would recommend trying them all at some point, especially since they are all available for a low price. MoH is a good run-n-gun; you kill lots of Nazis mostly by yourself, with the occassional awesome moments such as the Omaha beach level. This game was basically inspired by the movie Saving Private Ryan, so some of the levels may remind you of scenes from that movie. CoD is cool because it lets you play missions as American, British, and Russian soldiers, and you are almost always fighting with other soldiers in the single-player campaign. The CoD games have some of the most intense moments I have experienced in a FPS, with some really awesome scripted events. The BiA games are also interesting because they force you to think tactically about maneuvering around the battlefield and making effective use of your squad. These games also have characters who remain with you throughout the story, so it feels somewhat more coherent than MoH or CoD.

By the way, Medal of Honor: Airborne and Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway are both coming out this year and they both look like very promising titles.

Ken1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ken1a
Member since 2006 • 359 Posts
I thought COD was great,but it sure seemed short to me. I just flew through that game.I haven't tried BIA yet thats next on the list.
Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Artosa
Battlefield 1942 is probably one of the worst for historical accuracy
darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
WW2 online lol, its old but an mmo fps ww2 themed
Avatar image for ChinoJamesKeene
ChinoJamesKeene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChinoJamesKeene
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts

I liked Mohaa more, COD seemed abit silly and arcadey. The sounds in Mohaa are still the best i rekon.

Oh, forgot day of defeat source. ambient sounds in that are awsome, guns act nicely.

Cyan-Killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cyan-Killer
Member since 2005 • 45 Posts
MOH for the PS1 wasn't great. The only true game to give me a true WW2 Experience was Call Of Duty 2 (Haven't played COD3 yet) And I thought it was amazing. I also enjoy playing Company Of Heroes which also gives you a good experience. But im gettin sick of WWII games now. Sure, they're fun! but it happened 60 years and you just need to try somethin that ain't gonna be the same story.
Disco_Joe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Disco_Joe
Member since 2004 • 110 Posts

I'd go with Allied Assault and its two expansions. The graphics look dated by now, but the gameplay, ambiance, sound effects and (especially) music are all top-notch. The gameplay might not be quite as refined as CoD, but it nevertheless feels less streamlined and arcadey, which is my main complaint about CoD 1 & 2.

Both series are about equal in terms of overall challenge, but the AA games are a bit longer. I blasted through CoD 1 in about 6 hours, and CoD 2 lasted even less. Allied Assault, on the other hand, took me around 10 or 12 hours to blast through, and both of its expansions will last a typical 4 hours or so each.

Cyan-Killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cyan-Killer
Member since 2005 • 45 Posts
I never played the SP for Allied Assualt but I played the MP part of it and all I can say. Great game and very addictive.
Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

I am not sure by what you mean that Company of Heroes is realistic, snipers have FPS level accuracy, you don't need artillery observers to call in barrages, you still built units, simply pressing the retreat button allows the units to magically become unpinned and by some reason gives them a defense bonus, dead tanks blow up or disappear, tanks don't have a crew,there is no chain of command structure or unit supply/supply unitsetc. All that I found that the game does is take abstract RTS concepts found in games like StarCraft and gives them a realistic spin; however any wargame is superior to CoH when it comes to realism, I think Close Combat did many of those things earlier and better. At the very least I suggest you try Combat Mission.

I just want to say though that CoH is a great game however its certainly not realistic.

Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Artosa
All arcade ww2 games are innacurate in some way
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I am not sure by what you mean that Company of Heroes is realistic, snipers have FPS level accuracy, you don't need artillery observers to call in barrages, you still built units, simply pressing the retreat button allows the units to magically become unpinned and by some reason gives them a defense bonus, dead tanks blow up or disappear, tanks don't have a crew,there is no chain of command structure or unit supply/supply unitsetc. All that I found that the game does is take abstract RTS concepts found in games like StarCraft and gives them a realistic spin; however any wargame is superior to CoH when it comes to realism, I think Close Combat did many of those things earlier and better. At the very least I suggest you try Combat Mission.

I just want to say though that CoH is a great game however its certainly not realistic.

Nikalai_88

True but to get the level of realism your asking for the game would undoubtly have to be a turnbased game.

Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Artosa
Combat mission comes to mind
EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts

WW2OL has provided me the greatest WW2 experience. Large scale epic battles. It's always insane to see 20+ tanks attacking a town with tons of soldiers on the ground and huge aerial battles going on. Even the sea battles can become epic greatness. One of my greatest moments in the game was being apart of a large airborne drop into England. It was like a 15-20 minute flight across the ocean. We have boats on the way with tanks and other vehicles.

Then you see the anti-aircraft guns start pounding the sky. There must have been hundreds of players dropping. On the way down you could see all of these dogfights going on. The battle went on for around five hours. While they repelled us it was a great experience.

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Nikalai_88
[QUOTE="Nikalai_88"]

sSubZerOo

True but to get the level of realism your asking for the game would undoubtly have to be a turnbased game.

I am not sure about that, but I believe that most wargames are turnbased because that is what the market wants, games like Airboner Assault: HttR are real time and have many of the features that are in TBS games.

Gunfan9x19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gunfan9x19
Member since 2005 • 305 Posts
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 is the most realistic WWII game on the market.
SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts

World War II Online: Battleground Europe is pretty good ;)BounceDK

Agreed. Not only is it going to provide the most authentic WWII experience... It's also (still) the most realistic FPS ever made. Red Orchestra? Pfft.... That game is arcadish compared to this :) Of course given that, it doesn't appeal to the vast majority of players out there. You have to be *extremely* patient to play this game. Still, I definitely recommend it for the realism buffs :)

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="Nikalai_88"]

Nikalai_88

I am not sure about that, but I believe that most wargames are turnbased because that is what the market wants, games like Airboner Assault: HttR are real time and have many of the features that are in TBS games.

RTS games are WAY harder to balance meaning that balance comes first before any realism..

XlpranksterlX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 XlpranksterlX
Member since 2005 • 7438 Posts
I'd say CoD is the best. Definitely no MoH.
Tsunami23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tsunami23
Member since 2004 • 1352 Posts
RO, hands down if you are looking for the, um, "purest."
Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nikalai_88
[QUOTE="Nikalai_88"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="Nikalai_88"]

sSubZerOo

RTS games are WAY harder to balance meaning that balance comes first before any realism..

What's your point? CoH isn't realistic and there are realtime games that are more realistic than it. Anyways wargames aren't balanced if you played them than you would know.