Which TV brand is best Part 2: Toshiba, Philips, Pioneer, and Vizio

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 pimperjones
Member since 2006 • 3116 Posts

Here's part 2 as promisied. Yes Pioneer is here, and even Vizio (apparently people like them)

snackdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 snackdaddy
Member since 2006 • 2122 Posts

Pioneer is easily the best brand on this list. Their plasmas are the best of all plasma, sadly they are pulling out of the plasma biz so it almost becomes a moot point.

I have always been a Toshiba fan, but as of late their stuff seems to be a bit lower then their normal level of quality and pricing.

Vizio is a good TV for the price. They aren't top notch, but most people can't tell the difference and some of their TV's test very well.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I would say Pioneer generally makes the best sets out of those four. However, that's not to say there aren't any Toshibas/philips models that don't exceed some of the pioneers priced at the same budget. Vizio? I would campare them more to brands like LG, which I'm not a fan of, because most of the sets they make aren't even worth looking at, and all the lg products i've ever owned have NEVER lasted--so i guess it's somewhat based on principle.

Arkasai7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Arkasai7
Member since 2004 • 4652 Posts

Visio is currently sells the most TVs in North America, mostly due to a pretty good price/square inch of screen and passable image quality. This is pretty remarkable seeing as this company was a very small fish in a huge pond with fishes like Sony and Samsung around. For what you get I say Visio.

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rastan
Member since 2003 • 1405 Posts

Pioneer blows the rest of these out of the water, but they no longer are making TV's. Their top engineers were hired by Panasonic. Vizio is a crap shoot as they buy parts from multiple manufacturers and put them together. Could turn out good (Some of their early plasmas were Sony /Panasonic parts) or not so good (I've seen some problematic plasmas (LG parts) from them and some poorly performing LCD's).

Cait__Sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cait__Sith
Member since 2009 • 2326 Posts

Finally part 2 :)...Well as a newowner of the Elite Kuro I can say Prioneer wins this...By some miles.

EDIT: BTW, Pioneer has not sold their patents to Panasonic, so even if some of their staff moved to Panasonic they'll have to innovate in another way. Anyways another question is brought up. Why would Pioneer keep the patents? Well a month or two back at the official dealer were I purchased my Elite Kuro, one of the staff said Pioneer might be dropping out for a few years and coming back into the TV market later on.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
This isn't a contest, but since i want a large DLP on the cheap i say Mitsubishi!
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

vizio. it has good tvs in all formats. lcd,plasma, led. so they win.....

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rastan
They also have some very poor tv's in all formats.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 monson21502
They also have some very poor tv's in all formats.rastan
true lol. but they have some good models too
Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts

If we judge purely on their respective High end sets:

Pioneer

Phillips

Toshiba

Vizio

That being said, they all have good price to performance sets as well.

thug_angel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 thug_angel123
Member since 2006 • 607 Posts

Philips, they're one of the few companies which offer bang for ever buck, atleast in my country.

altairs_mentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 altairs_mentor
Member since 2009 • 696 Posts

ive only ever had a panasonic one and those haave bad sound.

Cait__Sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cait__Sith

Philips, they're one of the few companies which offer bang for ever buck, atleast in my country.

thug_angel123

Weird here in Canada all these companies are priced pretty fair.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 monson21502

Pioneer blows the rest of these out of the water, but they no longer are making TV's. Their top engineers were hired by Panasonic. Vizio is a crap shoot as they buy parts from multiple manufacturers and put them together. Could turn out good (Some of their early plasmas were Sony /Panasonic parts) or not so good (I've seen some problematic plasmas (LG parts) from them and some poorly performing LCD's).

rastan
crazy he put a elite plasma maker in a poll with second class lcd makers. no wonder the poll is such a landslide.
Cait__Sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cait__Sith
[QUOTE="monson21502"][QUOTE="rastan"]

crazy he put a elite plasma maker in a poll with second class lcd makers. no wonder the poll is such a landslide.

Even if other companies were in the poll the Pioneer Elite Kuro is still the best TV, so I'd assume it would still win anyways. Only Panasonic has a chance in the polls because they have the next best picture in a TV and are good value. Other than that I'd see this no other way.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 monson21502

Cait__Sith

Even if other companies were in the poll the Pioneer Elite Kuro is still the best TV, so I'd assume it would still win anyways. Only Panasonic has a chance in the polls because they have the next best picture in a TV and are good value. Other than that I'd see this no other way.

i would like to see one in person. are they really the best looking tvs? only places arround here that sells hdtvs is walmart:(. wonder if sears would have them? i remember walking down thw plasma ile they had them on both sides. it was like walking in a oven lol. im sure they dont get that hot now. most pioneer tvs i see online are like 2- 3 k more then even high priced names like sony and samsung sharp. i would just love to see one in action.
Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Innovazero2000
[QUOTE="rastan"]

monson21502

Phillips second class? have you ever messed or seen their high end sets...they are extremely impressive...even the low end sets have good color accuracy. They license a lot of their panels to other parties as well. Just because a lot of their stuff hasn't graced the USA doesn't mean their are second class.
Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Innovazero2000
[QUOTE="Cait__Sith"][QUOTE="monson21502"] crazy he put a elite plasma maker in a poll with second class lcd makers. no wonder the poll is such a landslide.monson21502

i would like to see one in person. are they really the best looking tvs? only places arround here that sells hdtvs is walmart:(. wonder if sears would have them? i remember walking down thw plasma ile they had them on both sides. it was like walking in a oven lol. im sure they dont get that hot now. most pioneer tvs i see online are like 2- 3 k more then even high priced names like sony and samsung sharp. i would just love to see one in action.

The Kuro is one of the best displays I ever seen, period. The blacks has so much depth and detail, the colors spot on, good contrast...etc. It's the standard still.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 monson21502
[QUOTE="Innovazero2000"][QUOTE="monson21502"][QUOTE="rastan"]

Phillips second class? have you ever messed or seen their high end sets...they are extremely impressive...even the low end sets have good color accuracy. They license a lot of their panels to other parties as well. Just because a lot of their stuff hasn't graced the USA doesn't mean their are second class.

i would agree with you. because i own a phillips magnavox 47` 1080p set. i guess thats their low end tvs. its a pretty good tv though. no lag on games, does a great job in SD tv . and looks good on blu ray. so i guess you could be right. and yes i never seen their higher end models. like i said before i only have walmart and a out of date sears store to shop for hdtvs.so im stuck reading buyer`s reviews on tvs i might want online.
Cait__Sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cait__Sith

[QUOTE="Cait__Sith"][QUOTE="monson21502"] crazy he put a elite plasma maker in a poll with second class lcd makers. no wonder the poll is such a landslide.monson21502

The Elite Kuro are easily the best HDTVs on the market, as an owner I can guarantee you that. I've seen the best from basically all the other companies too. If my word isn't good enough for you look online for like 2 seconds andevery review youread will tell you it is the best.Also the Elite Kuro isn't sold at places like Walmart...You need to find an actual dealer. Ignore all online prices of Elite Kuro's because they are not true. The Elite Kuro goes for like $3,200-$3,400 now, and that's if you can find one. Fortunately I got my Elite some months back and even then they were almost impossible to find.

kryloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kryloc
Member since 2003 • 2283 Posts

Innovazero2000

From what i've seen from their US models, and their reliability. I'd say they are pretty second class. Pieces of garbage.

Beyond that, Philips out sourced most if not all of their TV production to Funai.

Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Innovazero2000

[QUOTE="Innovazero2000"][QUOTE="monson21502"] crazy he put a elite plasma maker in a poll with second class lcd makers. no wonder the poll is such a landslide.kryloc

From what i've seen from their US models, and their reliability. I'd say they are pretty second class. Pieces of garbage.

Beyond that, Philips out sourced most if not all of their TV production to Funai.

Thats because the US never saw some of phillips better TV's (they were never big in the US a big reason for the outsourcing), I can assure you their high end LCD's are pretty damn impressive. They are big in europe, which is where a lot of the good stuff is.

Not all the US stuff is bad though, the 7000 series TV's are fairly impressive for the price. Most all phillips stuff is extremely accurate with color, I would say the only negitive with the low ends is black levels could be better.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 monson21502

anyone have this tv?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253222

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rastan
We compared the Tosh 32AV502R/U (720p version of what you are looking at) to a Panasonic Viera and Samsung LCD (both 720p) for my father in law and we ended up getting the Panasonic. We both liked the Samsung LN32B360C5D a little better, but he saved $100 going with the Panasonic with iPod dock. This TV was for a secondary room where the seating is 7'-13' feet away. The extra money for the 1080p sets wasn't worth it as they sit to far from that size tv to notice any difference.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 monson21502
We compared the Tosh 32AV502R/U (720p version of what you are looking at) to a Panasonic Viera and Samsung LCD (both 720p) for my father in law and we ended up getting the Panasonic. We both liked the Samsung LN32B360C5D a little better, but he saved $100 going with the Panasonic with iPod dock. This TV was for a secondary room where the seating is 7'-13' feet away. The extra money for the 1080p sets wasn't worth it as they sit to far from that size tv to notice any difference.rastan
i need a smaller tv for the bedroom. not looking to spend much over 400
kryloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kryloc
Member since 2003 • 2283 Posts

[QUOTE="rastan"]We compared the Tosh 32AV502R/U (720p version of what you are looking at) to a Panasonic Viera and Samsung LCD (both 720p) for my father in law and we ended up getting the Panasonic. We both liked the Samsung LN32B360C5D a little better, but he saved $100 going with the Panasonic with iPod dock. This TV was for a secondary room where the seating is 7'-13' feet away. The extra money for the 1080p sets wasn't worth it as they sit to far from that size tv to notice any difference.monson21502
i need a smaller tv for the bedroom. not looking to spend much over 400

Depending on when/where you live/order from you can get any 32" 720P TV for 400. This includes, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic and all the others. Make sure to look up the features if they aren't listed. When you go for a low price, some retailers will sell a stripped down model.

IE: Samsung 430 series instead of a 450/460 series.

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rastan
If you have a Boscov's around, they had the Panasonic 32" with iPod dock for $350. Often Best Buy puts the LN32B360C5D for $400.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 monson21502
If you have a Boscov's around, they had the Panasonic 32" with iPod dock for $350. Often Best Buy puts the LN32B360C5D for $400.rastan
are they 1080p? the ipod dock doesnt help much since i dont own one. know of any good online sites i can shop for tvs? only ones i know of are amazon or newegg. bestbuy doesnt ship to my area:(
rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rastan
They are 720p. Go to a store and check them out. Unless you are sitting closer than ~4' from a 32" set you can't see the 1080p advantage anyways plus, resolution is not everything when it comes to picture quality. I would go for higher contrast, wider viewing angle, and better scaling over higher resolution especially since most of what you will feed it will probably be 720p anyways..