Which stratergy game should i try ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 k_ozz
Member since 2007 • 1088 Posts
Ok let me be honest.. I have played only one stratergy game and thats Age of Mythology and dint like it.. Well actually liked it in the begining but then found it boring.. Anywayz i now wanna start playing stratergy games as m bugged with FPS.. So m looking for a game

which is kinda easy to pick up and play..
the game has to be relatively new like 06 or 07 release ..
should have great graphics..
has to be real-time..
not bothered bout multiplayer but should have an excellent single player..

EDIT: I bought Company of heroes and m loving every min of it thanx u guys.. U ppl are the best.. Well now can u guys suggest few more game thats has lots of intese action and min focus on resource gathering.. And i don mind even if the game is old.. But the graphics has to be good.. Thanx in advance..
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Company of Heroes is an absolutely amazing game.
If you're new to RTS games (haven't played alot of them) then I should tell you that the AI doesn't mess around.
Still, its the best RTS on the market if you ask me.
napp123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 napp123
Member since 2007 • 865 Posts
Don't get sins of a solar empire(I heard it is very complex)You should get world in conflict, it's extremely easy to pick up and has fantsatic online play.
BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts

Sins isn't THAT complex. It's pretty easy to figure everything out.

Anyway, I recommend Medieval 2: Total War.

k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 k_ozz
Don't get sins of a solar empire(I heard it is very complex)You should get world in conflict, it's extremely easy to pick up and has fantsatic online play.napp123

But many of them say that World in Conflict is very diff if ur a novice in RTS cos of the whole micro management stuff and btw i have no idea what that means:oops:
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Doom_HellKnight
I would say try the demos for the games you are interested in trying out and see how you like them.
k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 k_ozz
I would say try the demos for the games you are interested in trying out and see how you like them.Doom_HellKnight

Ya well downloading the demos would be good but checking out the demos of all games would be kinda tedious.. And since i have no idea bout stratergy games i will not be able to judge a game.. Or i ill have to download demos for all the games play them all then decide and m sure by the time i check out all the demos i would have got bugged of stratergy games or my interest would even shift to other genres..
Avatar image for paraskhos_basic
paraskhos_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 paraskhos_basic
Member since 2002 • 1243 Posts

i play

civ4,company of heroes,worlf of conflict

many others ths r my fav

also try age of empire 3 and its expansions pretty easy to pick up

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

Company of Heroes covers all of your above requirements except kinda easy to pick up and play. It looks great, has awesome single player, is relatively new and is real time... but it is quite complicated compared with most RTS games out there.

I'd recommend you mostly look at Company of Heroes, but you should just check out demos - they all or mostly all have them. See what you think yourself.

CrazyFox_444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CrazyFox_444
Member since 2005 • 664 Posts
UAW or sins! tough u got to pay to play online with UAW but still the most awsome and versile Strategy game out there with completly distinct factions :D
Ken1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ken1a
Member since 2006 • 359 Posts
Dawn of War is excellent;I'm playing Winter Assault (the exp) and its also great. I was going to recommend Age of Mythology,but since you didn't care for it,how about BFME II or an oldie Ground Contol II?
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

BlackAlpha666

MARK his WORDS....

k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 k_ozz
Dawn of War is excellent;I'm playing Winter Assault (the exp) and its also great. I was going to recommend Age of Mythology,but since you didn't care for it,how about BFME II or an oldie Ground Contol II?Ken1a

Well i am playing age of mythology now again and guess what m loving it.. So it would be good if u could suggest a few games similar to Age of Mythology..

And also ya is company of heroes similar to Age of Mythology i mean the gameplay..
r_ruiz6047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 r_ruiz6047
Member since 2005 • 237 Posts

Don't get sins of a solar empire(I heard it is very complex)You should get world in conflict, it's extremely easy to pick up and has fantsatic online play.napp123

The only problem with WIC online is: if you don't know what your doing the host can boot you during the game so try and play with friends that you know.

XFIRE ID: xMANIACxCOPx

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

Sins isn't that complex, just one skirmish game and you should know the ropes, but, you are new to RTS so maybe you won't have the patience for it. Same goes for Supcom.

I say try Dawn of War, CoH, and WiC, those are the most combat centered games.

Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Doom_HellKnight

And also ya is company of heroes similar to Age of Mythology i mean the gameplay..k_ozz

The similarities end at the genre, at least IMO. Company of Heroes is a different kind of RTS game. Instead of hanging back in bases/outposts and mining resources, one has to push forward and capture resource points across the map.
Company of Heroes features fully destructible environments, intelligent infantry that make use of cover etc.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
Dawn of War and it's myriad expansions will keep you happy for a long, long time!
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

[QUOTE="Ken1a"]Dawn of War is excellent;I'm playing Winter Assault (the exp) and its also great. I was going to recommend Age of Mythology,but since you didn't care for it,how about BFME II or an oldie Ground Contol II?k_ozz

Well i am playing age of mythology now again and guess what m loving it.. So it would be good if u could suggest a few games similar to Age of Mythology..

And also ya is company of heroes similar to Age of Mythology i mean the gameplay..

besides both of them being RTS's, they are nothing alike.

gamerguy845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 gamerguy845
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts
start with Coh, then if you like it move on to sins
THERSOfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 THERSOfi
Member since 2005 • 1214 Posts
Can't go wrong with CoH.
Kniterait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kniterait
Member since 2005 • 239 Posts

C&C3 and CoH

Ken1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ken1a
Member since 2006 • 359 Posts
[QUOTE="Ken1a"]Dawn of War is excellent;I'm playing Winter Assault (the exp) and its also great. I was going to recommend Age of Mythology,but since you didn't care for it,how about BFME II or an oldie Ground Contol II?k_ozz

The first game that comes to mind is Age of Empires series,or Rise of Nations-both excellent. I haven't played Company of Heroes yet(I'm going to here about this!)it's sitting on my shelf.But I believe its closer to Dawn of War,no resource gathering rather resource points you have to control.At any rate you couldn't go wrong with any of the games posted.
linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
Company of Heroes, great game, full of action. Has graphics nearly as good as a WW2 FPS. Requires, quick tactical thinking. My choice :).
xmen1414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xmen1414
Member since 2006 • 1948 Posts

[QUOTE="napp123"]Don't get sins of a solar empire(I heard it is very complex)You should get world in conflict, it's extremely easy to pick up and has fantsatic online play.k_ozz

But many of them say that World in Conflict is very diff if ur a novice in RTS cos of the whole micro management stuff and btw i have no idea what that means:oops:

DO NOT BUY WiC! It is not a RTS it has no stratgey and no gameplay at all. The moment you get online you are dead and you never get teh nuke! The SP is like shot, i mean 5hrs long. You need a high-end PC, i mean HIGH-end!!! It is just plain boring, well the destruction never gets old. (O ya you never get that much destruction because it is short)

k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 k_ozz
So i guess i Company of heroes, Dawn of War and C&C are my best bet.. Wanted to know the amount time spent in each of these.. And also is the single player in WIC any good??
Sonir77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sonir77
Member since 2006 • 1846 Posts
Age of Empires 3!
Ultra_Violent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ultra_Violent
Member since 2007 • 167 Posts
Company of Heores, you have to be a strategic master to be good at this. Also the AI is great to practice against and when you think your good enough you can take it online. The best RTS ever in my opinion.
beachbob1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 beachbob1
Member since 2007 • 518 Posts
[QUOTE="BlackAlpha666"]

True_Gamer_

MARK his WORDS....

I have played every game mentioned. If you wont be playing multi-player. Medieval Total War 2 is with out a doubt the best game! Total War is on another level compared to most these games imo. Sins and Coh are good too. But Total War ROCKS!!!!

beachbob1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 beachbob1

So i guess i Company of heroes, Dawn of War and C&C are my best bet.. Wanted to know the amount time spent in each of these.. And also is the single player in WIC any good??k_ozz

WIC=single player sucks and the mp doesnt offer much strategy imo

Dawn of War=dated(wait for DoW2)

C&C=average rts plus EA=EVIL

COH=Instant Classic ..every rts fan must play this. Introduces mechanics never seen before in a rts. Ground Breaking!

Medivial:Total War 2 and Sins offer the best single player experience imo (giving Total War 2 the edge) Becuase they incorporate alot of strategy into the gameplay with the world (universe) to conquer. They feel epic!

zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 zerosaber456
Member since 2005 • 1363 Posts

I'm gonna name a strategy game that by today is still my favorite strategy... and hasn't been mentioned yet. HOMEWORLD (plus expansion) and Homeworld 2. That game forver changed the RTS genre and if your thinking of playing an RTS game why not the one that revolutionized it. The only problem is that's kind of hard to find in stores but I'm pretty sure amazon.com has it.

If you can't find that than I suggest Dawn of war and/or any Total war game.

TheGamerUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheGamerUser
Member since 2007 • 289 Posts

Company of Hereoes. Amazing game, and very little focus on resource gathering. Just control points and you get resources automatically every few seconds..I belive its the easiest transition from FPS/3rd Person to RTS. Highly Recommended

NOTE: Language in that game is very salty and people do get multilated before your eyes. Caution!

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mracoon
Member since 2008 • 967 Posts
As you've already got CoH you might just want to wait until Starcraft 2 comes out as you can get a lot of CoH.
k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 k_ozz

Company of Hereoes. Amazing game, and very little focus on resource gathering. Just control points and you get resources automatically every few seconds..I belive its the easiest transition from FPS/3rd Person to RTS. Highly Recommended

TheGamerUser

U hit the nail on the head bro.. I found it really easy to adapt :)
-PS360-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -PS360-
Member since 2007 • 817 Posts
so now you want resource gathering? Well starcraft 2 will have that but its not out yet. I really recommend Supreme Commander
MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts

lots of intese action and min focus on resource gathering.. And i don mind even if the game is old.. But the graphics has to be good.. Thanx in advance..k_ozz

Sounds like world in conflict should come next. Resources are gathered automatically for you, it has the most intense action of any RTS, but you can only control a few units at once. Sins of a solar empire is the better game, imo, but it's a very deep and complex RTS (if you're new to strategy games) with not as much action. And C&C3 is a joke.

k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 k_ozz
so now you want resource gathering? Well starcraft 2 will have that but its not out yet. I really recommend Supreme Commander-PS360-

No no i don want resource gathering.. The only thing i hated in Age of Mythology was resource gathering.. COH was fine cos by just capturing strategic points my resources were increasing every second.. Would be really happy if there is no resorce gathering on the other hand wouldn mind a bit of resource gathering but only upto the scale of COH..
k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 k_ozz

[Sounds like world in conflict should come next. Resources are gathered automatically for you, it has the most intense action of any RTS, but you can only control a few units at once. Sins of a solar empire is the better game, imo, but it's a very deep and complex RTS (if you're new to strategy games) with not as much action. And C&C3 is a joke.

MTBare

Why is C&C3 a joke??
MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MTBare
Because it sucks, I hated it and got bored of it like two days after I wasted money on it. It's an extremely basic RTS that's even more shallow than generals, the previous C&C.
k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 k_ozz
Because it sucks, I hated it and got bored of it like two days after I wasted money on it. It's an extremely basic RTS that's even more shallow than generals, the previous C&C.MTBare

Now then wouldn C&C3 be the perfect RTS for me as its basic and also shallow.. And i will be havng no idea as to how shallow it is as i have played only 3 stratergy games Age of empires, Age of Mythology and COH.. And i liked only COH.
Xavier_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Xavier_12
Member since 2005 • 824 Posts
I bought Company of Heroes yesterday and have played 8 hours since last night. Its simply an AMAZING game. Get it.
MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MTBare

[QUOTE="MTBare"]Because it sucks, I hated it and got bored of it like two days after I wasted money on it. It's an extremely basic RTS that's even more shallow than generals, the previous C&C.k_ozz

Now then wouldn C&C3 be the perfect RTS for me as its basic and also shallow.. And i will be havng no idea as to how shallow it is as i have played only 3 stratergy games Age of empires, Age of Mythology and COH.. And i liked only COH.

No, it's just a boring RTS when compared to all the others that have been released. Just because it's shallow doesn't make it simple/easy. WiC would be perfect for you imho.

beachbob1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 beachbob1

[QUOTE="MTBare"]Because it sucks, I hated it and got bored of it like two days after I wasted money on it. It's an extremely basic RTS that's even more shallow than generals, the previous C&C.k_ozz

After playing COH, C&C is a joke. You should try Tota War 2 you get resources by capturing new territoires on the game map and then upgrading your cities and military. No resource gathering. Same with Sins you capture new planets and then upgrade them. They are not overly complicated unless your a moron.

sc_ajk29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 sc_ajk29
Member since 2007 • 564 Posts

I STRONGLY recommend C&C3. One of the most underrated games ever, sadly. :cry:

I've only played the demo to World in Conflict so far, and it's pretty good. I'd also recommend Universe at War and AOE3.

I haven't played COH or Sins yet, but I have heard good things about them.

Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#44 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

Since you request for REAL TIME, and not RTS specifically...

Did you consider Europa Universalis?

vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts

Universe at War

Company of Heroes

Command and Conquer 3

Sins of a solar empire

k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 k_ozz
Well thanx u guys.. So i have bought

Company Of Heroes
Company Of Heroes Opposing Fronts
World In Conflict
Rome :Total War
Medieval II:Total War
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
the first one you should try is starcraft. or red alert. or warcraft 2. or dune. basically, all the classics. and if you're not just talking about rts, then master of magic and x-com.