Which gaming headset to get?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Hey guys, I am thinking of buying a gaming headset, mainly for Battlefield. What are some great choices? I want it to be durable and made with quality, and of course have at least very good sounds. Any reasonably priced suggestions? Thanks!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Get a pair of headphones + clip on mic instead.

Depends on budget

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Mainly for BF http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Battlefield-BlackShark-Isolating-RZ04-00720300-R3U1/dp/B00F9XE932/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1388902745&sr=8-5&keywords=razer+battlefield+4

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Budget?

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

Unless you are going to get something like the Sennheiser PC360 or G4ME ONE, don't buy a gaming headset. Whether they are made by Steelseries, Razer, Creative, Turtle Beach, etc, they are all gimmicky pieces of garbage.

Do as posted above and buy a good pair of headphones with a clip on mic. You could go with an Antlion modmic as well. Depending on the pair however, you might also need something like an E9 amp. As gor headphones, you want either an open or semi open design.

Best place to get information now that the new Gamestop threw away the A/V section is www.head-fi.org

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Murderstyle75 said:

Unless you are going to get something like the Sennheiser PC360 or G4ME ONE, don't buy a gaming headset. Whether they are made by Steelseries, Razer, Creative, Turtle Beach, etc, they are all gimmicky pieces of garbage.

Do as posted above and buy a good pair of headphones with a clip on mic. You could go with an Antlion modmic as well. Depending on the pair however, you might also need something like an E9 amp. As gor headphones, you want either an open or semi open design.

Best place to get information now that the new Gamestop threw away the A/V section is www.head-fi.org

Head-Fi has always been the best place to go to for information :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

I love my logitech g930 wireless headset. Has been working fine for 2 years ive had it

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@NaveedLife said:

Hey guys, I am thinking of buying a gaming headset, mainly for Battlefield. What are some great choices? I want it to be durable and made with quality, and of course have at least very good sounds. Any reasonably priced suggestions? Thanks!

Take your pick:

http://en-au.sennheiser.com/pc-gaming-headset

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I can't stress this enough:

DON'T DISREGARD THE ADVICE ABOUT NOT GETTING A "GAMING" HEADSET. I hope you noticed that...if you care at all about sound quality, you are MUCH better served by a real pair of headphones made by a company known for putting out great headphones such as Senn's, BD (Beyer Dynamics) or Audio Technica's.

If there is something mentioned about "gaming," don't get it. Even within well known brands. It's a marketing gimmick used to sell a lesser product at a higher price. Spend that extra money on a decent soundcard rather than getting headphones stamped with "gaming."

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside

@demi0227_basic said:

DON'T DISREGARD THE ADVICE ABOUT NOT GETTING A "GAMING" HEADSET. I hope you noticed that...if you care at all about sound quality, you are MUCH better served by a real pair of headphones made by a company known for putting out great headphones such as Senn's, BD (Beyer Dynamics) or Audio Technica's.

If there is something mentioned about "gaming," don't get it. Even within well known brands. It's a marketing gimmick used to sell a lesser product at a higher price. Spend that extra money on a decent soundcard rather than getting headphones stamped with "gaming."

Just to point something out, Senn's and ATechnicas now have a "gaming" range.

Also, there are some (keyword: some) gaming headsets that actually sound ok/good (for example the Corsair ones).

Obivously like demi0227 said, if you want quality, you have to pay for quality.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 demi0227_basic

@FelipeInside said:

@demi0227_basic said:

Also, there are some (keyword: some) gaming headsets that actually sound ok/good (for example the Corsair ones).

I know they have "gaming" branded phones, but then you are still paying extra for the branding. I've used their "gaming" 360's, and for the same price, you can get nicer phones anyway so my point stands.

The Corsair 1500/2000's are half way decent, but again for the price, you could get much nicer phones too.

kweni16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By kweni16
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Umm...maybe this could help, I use the 3HV2 of Steelseries and so far it's ok...or take a look at this list http://www.5archive.com/5-best-pc-gaming-headset-50/

sorry i don't know how to put up a clickable link :(

crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 crashndash
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts

I use Astro A50's, they are extremely comfortable for long periods of time but the battery lasts like 5-12 hours but you can plug in a usb and use it. the range for the wireless is about up to 7-10m before you start getting a drop in audio (perfect for when you need to go bathroom just remember to lift up the mic if you do so otherwise people will hear everything!). Audio quality is amazing and supports all recent gen consoles, But the price is a bit over the top at about 299$. I ended up getting mine at PAX Aus because I didn't want to pay that much for them off the net without knowing if they were any good.

+Amazing sound (supposed to be 7.1)
+Freedom to move around
+Comfortable for extended gaming sessions (I have played for over 24 hours and forgot they were on my head)
+Closed over ear design with high quality Padding
+A lot of features (built in presets, Dolby digital Sound mode, Mix amp, +a few more)
+Works on all current consoles

-Battery life ranges between 5-12 hours (really depends on what you're using on it as it has a lot of features)
-Price
-Once you put the stand together you cant take it apart! (wish i knew this before)
-Hard case available only if you pay 30$

Astro A50

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside

@crashndash said:

+Comfortable for extended gaming sessions (I have played for over 24 hours and forgot they were on my head)

How the hell do you play over 24 hours?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kraken2109

I always find it funny when headphones claim 5.1 or 7.1 channel audio.

Can someone please explain where the speaker for the centre channel is? Invisibly floating in front of my head?

crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 crashndash

@FelipeInside said:

@crashndash said:

Lol lets just say I have some serious problems, I can get hooked on a game enough to play up to 3 days straight (which has happened way too many times) also red bull helps once you reach the 24 hour mark along with lots of snacks. I actually did it the other day with Far Cry 3 and Metro Last Light when i was testing out my new 780ti

@kraken2109 said:

Can someone please explain where the speaker for the centre channel is? Invisibly floating in front of my head?

I know what you mean, that's why i put the "supposed to be 7.1" in brackets. I still don't get it which is why i use a surround sound system for if i want 7.1 or 5.1

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FelipeInside

@crashndash said:

@FelipeInside said:

@crashndash said:

Lol lets just say I have some serious problems, I can get

hooked on a game enough to play up to 3 days straight (which has happened way too many times) also red bull helps once you reach the 24 hour mark along with lots of snacks. I actually did it the other day with Far Cry 3 and Metro Last Light when i was testing out my new 780ti

@kraken2109 said:

I know what you mean, that's why i put the "supposed to be 7.1" in brackets. I still don't get it which is why i use a surround sound system for if i want 7.1 or 5.1

That's not healthy dude.

@kraken2109: it's simulated. (virtual)

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

Dont spend a crap load. Some people get those crazy 100+ ones and i cant imagine why. I got these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DQG0BO/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 crashndash

@FelipeInside said:

@crashndash said:

@FelipeInside said:

@crashndash said:

Lol lets just say I have some serious problems, I can get

hooked on a game enough to play up to 3 days straight (which has happened way too many times) also red bull helps once you reach the 24 hour mark along with lots of snacks. I actually did it the other day with Far Cry 3 and Metro Last Light when i was testing out my new 780ti

@kraken2109 said:

That's not healthy dude.

@kraken2109: it's simulated. (virtual)

Lol yea I figured as much so I try not to go over 24 hours anymore, also my gf would kill me if she found out

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside

@Morphic said:

Dont spend a crap load. Some people get those crazy 100+ ones and i cant imagine why. I got these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DQG0BO/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have you ever gamed or watched a movie on those and then tried a $300 Senheiser?

If the answer is no, then that's why you can't imagine why. You don't know great sound until you hear it.

(the sound card has to be good quality too though)

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kraken2109

@Morphic: I thought the same until I used high end stuff. After spending extensive time editing and producing music on some HD650s in school I realised why they cost £300.

@FelipeInside: I know it's virtual, and that's why I have a problem with it. It isn't 5.1 or 7.1. It's 2 channels. It's just been run through a DSP. Maybe I'll make a surround DSP and sell some 200.20 surroud headphones.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FelipeInside

@kraken2109 said:

@FelipeInside: I know it's virtual, and that's why I have a problem with it. It isn't 5.1 or 7.1. It's 2 channels. It's just been run through a DSP. Maybe I'll make a surround DSP and sell some 200.20 surroud headphones.

Yeah well they call it that because it's 5.1/7.1 just virtual. If you read the fine print of most of these headphones it actually says words like "simulated" on the specs.

There is no other way to have surround on a headset.

quikdash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 quikdash6
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:

@FelipeInside said:

@demi0227_basic said:

I know they have "gaming" branded phones, but then you are still paying extra for the branding. I've used their "gaming" 360's, and for the same price, you can get nicer phones anyway so my point stands.

The Corsair 1500/2000's are half way decent, but again for the price, you could get much nicer phones too.

I understand what you guys are saying, but there is a convenience factor in having a good, noise cancelling microphone, hooked directly to the headset. Maybe once I get more space I'll go the route of good headphones and a separate mic on stand, but it seems like too much clutter right now.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FelipeInside

@quikdash6 said:

@demi0227_basic said:

I understand what you guys are saying, but there is a convenience factor in having a good, noise cancelling microphone, hooked directly to the headset. Maybe once I get more space I'll go the route of good headphones and a separate mic on stand, but it seems like too much clutter right now.

And you can, just make sure you get a good brand.

Look at the link I posted with the Senheiser Gaming Series.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 demi0227_basic

@quikdash6 said:

@demi0227_basic said:

@FelipeInside said:

@demi0227_basic said:

If that's what you want. The price of the mic is built into the headphone, so I just want to point out you can get a mic for less than $10 and get a superior headphone for your' money. It's your money...just think about it this way...if you get a gaming headphone you are buying both a mic and headset anyway. The cost is just built in.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

Wish I would've read this post first. I just bought the Razer Kraken Pro for $60. Everything is pretty much average at best. Every time I listen to music I have to select "reduce bass" from iTunes. Bass is little too overpowering and the clarity isn't the best. My in-ear headphones I bought for about $70 from Sennheiser, I believe, sounds way better than the Razer in terms of clarity and bass response. I should've just bought a cheap mic.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kraken2109

If you want to turn headphones into a headset I hear good things about the modmic

http://www.modmic.com/

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I've heard the steelseries headsets are the good ones.

I recently tried the razer krakens and could not believe how bad they sounded.

Rockets in quake live were horribly muffled, music sounded terrible, it was all like someone put a pair of paper glasses over your ears.

Even messed with the equalizer to make it sound barely tolerable, but it still sounded pretty bad.

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

DOOO NOT cheap out and get a low quality headset you will regret it immensely. I bought the Corsair Vengeance 1500's on sale for $50 and absolutely wish I never made this purchase. They sound bad and are extremely uncomfortable to wear. I would listen to everyone else's advice and buy good quality headphones and a separate mic.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

If you want to turn headphones into a headset I hear good things about the modmic

http://www.modmic.com/

I have a modmic and it is fantastic. I would highly recommend a good pair of headphones and a modmic.

blob357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By blob357
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I have a Steelseries Siberia V2 and absolutely love it (about £50 / $90), I had it for a year initially but my dog chewed the cable rendering it useless. Contacted support and got a free one back (think you have a 2 year warranty in Europe). I used to spend 8+ hours on it a day with no issues. I'm interested in their new Siberia Elite but it's £160 and I don't think I'm willing to spend that much on a headset.

I've had Razer headset, mice and keyboards before and all are ridiculously overpriced for what you get. My mouse broke (started shaking and not working randomly) within 4 months, headset was crap quality and the keyboard I didn't really have any issues with other than it would stop working and have to be replugged in every now and then. Switched all my gear over to Steelseries and no problems yet (had the mouse and keyboard about 3 months now).

UnicrnDrpngs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 UnicrnDrpngs
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

@Morphic said:

Have you tried any of the +100 ones? As with many things in life, you typically get what you pay for.

I know the OP is looking for recommendations, however it is nice to know what NOT to buy as well.

Having said that, I currently have a logitech g930. I have had it for about 2 years. I don't recommend it because my left ear only outputs 30% of the sound it is supposed to. This makes playing games that require hearing small details challenging at times (people creeping up behind you, etc). My friend has the exact same headset as mine and his cuts in and out during gameplay.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I like my Astro A40s very much.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

I got the Razer Kraken Pro's and they are causing me grief with the mic (I just need a sound card), but the quality sounds great on them though so I'm not complaining. Other than that if you just want a good sound headset with a y-splitter you can take any headphones with a mic and turn them into a pc headset.