Where do I get good internet?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts

I've been using AT&T for years and I've recently become completely fed up with their bullsh*t.  We have an Elite DSL package and it blows.  Our connection gets dropped randomly all the time, which is a major pain in the ass.  I called their customer support and after an hour of nonsense I ended up unchecking one box on some URL that was supposed to fix the issue.  Since then it's actually become worse, and slower.  WTF?

So we're done with AT&T.  I need new internet.  My family watches a lot of Netflix and I game all the time, so it needs to be decent and reliable.  I don't really care if the upload/download speeds aren't crazy, I just want it to be stable and quick enough so that I don't experience any lag playing online.  We won't pay any more than $80 a month since we're already paying $60.  Also I live in the Chicago-land area. (I know certain services are regional, so that's why I bring it up)

Obviously this is a very broad question but I don't really know where to start researching something like this.  I know this might not be the best forum for this, but... routers are hardware, right?  Any help is seriously appreciated.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Look up services in your town/city

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

I've got FIOS, and they never drop out and they always provide better-than-advertised speeds. I just ran Speedtest, and it's 30.73 Mb/s (3.84 MB) down, 12.09 (1.51MB) up. It's cheaper than the crappy Comcast cable I had before, too.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Check your local cable providers? I get 30/4 for $50 charter, not good, but much better than dsl offerings. Supposely I can get it for $30 if I switch names every year, but I am too lazy to do that.

Farsendor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Farsendor1
Member since 2012 • 462 Posts

i live in tn in the middle of nowhere and i only get 150kbs download and 60kbs upload. hoping someday ill be able to at least get 1mb 

gt350tsc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 gt350tsc
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

Sitting over here hoping we get gigabit internet someday.

I've seen fiber cable being installed but I think never finished or something.

Come on google Help a Bro out :(

Edit: I have comcast with 22 Mbps download and 4 Mbps upload, I think I got the right.

trijity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 trijity
Member since 2008 • 813 Posts

http://www.internetserviceproviders.org/

Go there to see what's available for you

johansburg

Forum Posts