Where did the community run off to?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts

So after going without Internet for a month or two I log back in and check out Gamespot to notice it's vastly different than it used to be, and the community has dwindled. Where did the community run off to, is there a different forum that everyone went to? If so, which one? :D

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I feel like the community is still here like it used to be. The same people are top posters just like at old gamespot.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I'm still here; Oh and there's no hardware forum anymore - here it were it belongs.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@Arthas045 said:

I feel like the community is still here like it used to be. The same people are top posters just like at old gamespot.

Yeah most of the top posters are still here, but a lot of people that weren't top posters have left. Just look at the screenshot thread. We used to go through almost a page per day. Now we're lucky to get a post per day.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

It's still here just not really being used.

Some people have gone, and it's a shame but they hopefully will be separating the forums again. Otherwise I fear other members might run away too.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@acanofcoke said:

Some people have gone, and it's a shame but they hopefully will be separating the forums again. Otherwise I fear other members might run away too.

Everyone should add the computer hardware board to favorites. If enough people favorite it, they might consider putting it on the main forum page. :P

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10417 Posts

i hate how hardware and games are mixed together. scrolling down the topics feels like spot the game thread. forums are a lot quieter and there are a lot of good posters who i haven't seen post since the change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-579f651eab962

Post in my thread here to show your support for splitting the forums back to how they should be....

Synthia is listening

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

All the top posters are here still?! Thats hilarious.

IonusX left, which he used to update everyone on the news, and honestly a lot of people have reduced their activity, and for good reason the forums have been mutilated, I liked the old forums way better.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10417 Posts

@acanofcoke said:

Post in my thread here to show your support for splitting the forums back to how they should be....

Synthia is listening

done

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@Arthas045 said:

Yeah most of the top posters are still here, but a lot of people that weren't top posters have left. Just look at the screenshot thread. We used to go through almost a page per day. Now we're lucky to get a post per day.

Another bad thing is the horrible picture scaling. Pictures are never shown in their native resolution, and the scaling is literally the worst that I have ever seen. This new site definitely has issues...

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

They need to fix this mess to get me interested again

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#13 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

After the Gamespot update, it just seems like the forums is less active.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

@IvanElk said:

All the top posters are here still?! Thats hilarious.

IonusX left, which he used to update everyone on the news, and honestly a lot of people have reduced their activity, and for good reason the forums have been mutilated, I liked the old forums way better.

I've been posting consistently (80% of my total post) on the pc hardware boards since 2007 and a lot of old timers left before the change (like within the last two or three years). Users like 9mmSpliff, wklzip, gambler, Louie, Daytona_178, sabbath2gamer, RayvinAzn , GTR2addict, imprezawrx500, nvidiagamer, kodex1717, tequilasunriser, ferret-gamer.....ect all left within the last couple of years (most of those users had 5,000+ post just on pc hardware alone).

04dcarraher, LordEC911 and Jigglywiggly ive seen personally on here for over 6 years and they all still post here.

Elann2008, General X, C_Rule, marcthpro and hartsickdisciple have been here at least 5 years and all 5 of them still post here (tens of thousands of post between those four on pc forum alone).

IonusX isn't really missed at all. He had an obvious bias for AMD (it got so bad that he would sometimes recommend inferior products to users just because he didn't want to recommend the competitor which is an a-hole move on a help forum ) and he would purposely misread quotes in order to start confrontation ALL the time (he's not missed at all).

So to sum things up a lot of old timers are still posting today and all of the posters from the mid 2000s onwards that aren't here today left 1-3 years before the change (that change didn't affect this board that much)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-579f651eab962

@mastershake575: how the hell do you remember all those names? I can barely remember what I did yesterday

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@SystemsGO said:

So after going without Internet for a month or two I log back in and check out Gamespot to notice it's vastly different than it used to be, and the community has dwindled. Where did the community run off to, is there a different forum that everyone went to? If so, which one? :D

The majority left, because the redesign of the site is objectively shit, and ruined a lot of stuff, such as posting pics for the screenshot thread (you can still do it, but GS doesn't link images anymore. It rehosts them, and compresses the absolute shit out of them).

Several of the top posters are still here, yeah, but most of the general population is gone. Just look at the screenshot thread. Before the redesign, there was like a dozen posts per day in there, pretty regularly. When the new site launched, that traffic dropped right off a cliff, almost instantly. Thread goes days on end with no posts now.

I've been here for like 9 years, off and on, but I'm definitely going into an "off" phase, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't almost entirely because of the redesign.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Gamespot basically told us to **** off.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
@Gaming-Planet said:

Gamespot basically told us to **** off.

They haven't been communicating very well, but there is a response in this thread...

"In due time, all of this will be fixed. maybe people wont get everything they wanted, but at least it will be a smoother, more professional looking site."

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Community hasn't gone anywhere, you did.

On a serious note the change makes it seem like less people are coming on lately but reality is the old users are still here. If anyone ran off to anywhere, my finger would be pointed at IGN.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

@acanofcoke said:

Thanks for the link. I will give it a bit more activity :)

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#21 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

The new site and forums are both terrible and they chalk the response up to resisting change rather than the fact it just sucks now. I am all for improvement, but improvement this is not.

The only reason I'm still here is because everything else equally sucks.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22  Edited By The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I'm still here, making a post every week or so. I used to post more before the redesign, but I hate how the forum pages are not centered anymore and there is this ugly navbar at the top blocking a lot of content.

Activity did fall off a cliff, unfortunately. But it is what it is.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@mastershake575: That is an impressive list, I recognise a good half of it but I'm impressed you can remember that many names.

I'm also slightly upset mine isn't there :(

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By horgen  Moderator

So... I wanted to make a new topic there, but when I am in the topic create page it says it will post it to games discussions and not hardware discussions. Colour me confused.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-579f651eab962

@horgen123: Look

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

@acanofcoke said:

how the hell do you remember all those names? I can barely remember what I did yesterday

@kraken2109 said:

: That is an impressive list, I recognise a good half of it but I'm impressed you can remember that many names.

I just opened a few threads from my posting history and I was quickly able to recognize which users posted a lot back in the day

I was mainly trying to tell that user that the change didn't change a whole a lot (a lot of the old timers left in2010/2011 and all most of the guys that took over the posting in 2010/2011 are still here today so nothing really changed).

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 horgen  Moderator

@acanofcoke said:

Excellent!

How did you create that topic though? When I go in there to create a topic it wants to post it in games discussions.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

They broke some functionality compared to the old site and thus people have found it hard to do what they've been doing for years. I don't really have the conviction to post much anymore.

I spend more time on other forums / Steam these days. Plus playing games (BF4, AC4 and others). I'm still waiting for my game collection to actually work.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 horgen  Moderator

@nutcrackr said:

They broke some functionality compared to the old site and thus people have found it hard to do what they've been doing for years. I don't really have the conviction to post much anymore.

I spend more time on other forums / Steam these days. Plus playing games (BF4, AC4 and others). I'm still waiting for my game collection to actually work.

I believe most of the missing functionality will return, however I dunno how fast that will happen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-579f651eab962

@horgen123 said:

@acanofcoke said:

Excellent!

How did you create that topic though? When I go in there to create a topic it wants to post it in games discussions.

When I create a topic I get this when I click on " search for a specific " forum.

But if I search for it I can't find it

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 horgen  Moderator

That makes sense... :P

djdarkforces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By djdarkforces
Member since 2009 • 812 Posts

i still lurk in the shadows

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

I haven't been around much (not even lurking) since the update.

Since GS changed, I figured it'd be good opportunity to waste my time elsewhere for change.