When will Crysis-level graphics become mainstream?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Noobivore36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Noobivore36
Member since 2009 • 132 Posts

How long do you think it will take for mainstream games to become as demanding on our computers as Crysis? Will games in the near future like Starcraft 2 and Alan Wake require anything near what Crysis did? Discuss.

olly436

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 olly436
Member since 2007 • 113 Posts
Maybe in the future, but not for a couple years the the system requirements of Crysis have to become more affordable to allow a greater percentage of gamers to be able to handle games like that.
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
i think the next wave of consoles to come out in a few years will be awfully close, at which point pc hardware capable of running crysis on high will be more affordable.
Faerun23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Faerun23
Member since 2007 • 34 Posts

Just when I get an Epicly Awesome Computer. Hopefully.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

How long do you think it will take for mainstream games to become as demanding on our computers as Crysis? Will games in the near future like Starcraft 2 and Alan Wake require anything near what Crysis did? Discuss.

Noobivore36
There 1 thing wrong with your post, 1st mainstream games are not demanding, they are just bad ports with random perfomances and problems, as for your original question........when game developers will stop making games for x360 and ps3, as for technical graphics like amazing psychics and breakable enviroment... well that one game did that it doesnt mean that every other will also do it, eg red faction was a game that you could create rooms by blowing walls and making deep deep holes in the ground, but no other game did it, look at cod games or mass effect and fallout 3, or dead space, they got amazing graphics but nothing breaks.
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#6 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
Not for awhile, as I think gameplay is resurging as the king feature of our hobby. Exhibit A: the Wii.
simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

Not for awhile, as I think gameplay is resurging as the king feature of our hobby. Exhibit A: the Wii.Gammit10

the wii has doesn't have good graphics or gameplay. No game on the wii is good.

Avatar image for Charles_Dickens
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Charles_Dickens
Member since 2009 • 1693 Posts

What are you talking about - mainstream?

Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Stalker Clear Sky, GTA 4, and even the game I'm playing now, Mirror's Edge, all look much more modern than Crysis. Crysis is two years old now, and it shows. You just need to know what to look for. The horrible textures in Crysis aren't any match at all for the clarity that I'm seeing in Mirror's Edge.

It's just because Crysis doesn't run well that people think its the bees knees. It's not. I wouldn't want ANY games looking like Crysis. I loathe those low res textures. And the NPCs are just downright goofy looking.

Recontrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Recontrooper
Member since 2009 • 1012 Posts

Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Stalker Clear Sky, GTA 4, and even the game I'm playing now, Mirror's Edge, all look much more modern than Crysis. Crysis is two years old now, and it shows. You just need to know what to look for. The horrible textures in Crysis aren't any match at all for the clarity that I'm seeing in Mirror's Edge.

It's just because Crysis doesn't run well that people think its the bees knees. It's not. I wouldn't want ANY games looking like Crysis. I loathe those low res textures. And the NPCs are just downright goofy looking.

Charles_Dickens
I don't agree with you man. Crysis looks great imo.
Shrapnel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shrapnel99
Member since 2006 • 7143 Posts

[QUOTE="Gammit10"]Not for awhile, as I think gameplay is resurging as the king feature of our hobby. Exhibit A: the Wii.simardbrad

System wars is elsewhere my friend.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dakan45

Charles_Dickens
well to be honest i dont know if you are right or wrong but lately i am looking at crysis warhead textures and wonder whats wrong with my max settings, so i guess you are right.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

The horrible textures in Crysis aren't any match at all for the clarity that I'm seeing in Mirror's Edge.

Charles_Dickens

I always see you ranting about how rubbish Crysis's textures are, and I can't possibly fathom what the **** you're on about.

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

I'd suspect that after Crysis 2 gets released we'll start seeing games that look better or as good as Crysis, but then again it's just speculation.

[QUOTE="Gammit10"]Not for awhile, as I think gameplay is resurging as the king feature of our hobby. Exhibit A: the Wii.simardbrad

System Wars forum: USE IT

brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 brandontwb
Member since 2008 • 4325 Posts

That makes me pretty angry...Wii has good games if you know where to find them. Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario ect.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
i think the next wave of consoles to come out in a few years will be awfully close, at which point pc hardware capable of running crysis on high will be more affordable.paullywog
Running Crysis on high is no huge feat today, it isnt a lie to say there are $600 machines that can run it on high, not ultra or enthusiast but high. I do agree however, I could see the net gen of consoles/PC games coming close to having mainstream Crysis level graphics
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Charles_Dickens

LOL, you think that Fallout 3 has better textures than Crysis? Are you serious? Fallout 3 has some of the ugliest low res textures I've seen this gen. If you think Fallout 3 has better textures than Crysis you must be blind or playing Crysis on low/medium settings. Same goes for GTAIV which had very muddy textures. Mirror's Edge has nice textures but that's only because a large chunk of the color pallet has been removed from the game thanks to the art direction which makes it a lot easier on the hardware (certainly you've noticed by now that everything in the game a single, solid color). Far Cry 2 has a very similar engine to that of Crysis so I'm at a loss for how you think that game looks better.

See, I'm finding it diffcult to understand how you think that this:

Is better than this:

Blubadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Blubadox
Member since 2006 • 3777 Posts

Charles_Dickens

lol, I hope you are joking.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

When everyone has a Crysis capable computer, 3-6 years maybe

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dakan45

[QUOTE="Charles_Dickens"]

gameguy6700

LOL, you think that Fallout 3 has better textures than Crysis? Are you serious? Fallout 3 has some of the ugliest low res textures I've seen this gen. If you think Fallout 3 has better textures than Crysis you must be blind or playing Crysis on low/medium settings. Same goes for GTAIV which had very muddy textures. Mirror's Edge has nice textures but that's only because a large chunk of the color pallet has been removed from the game thanks to the art direction which makes it a lot easier on the hardware (certainly you've noticed by now that everything in the game a single, solid color). Far Cry 2 has a very similar engine to that of Crysis so I'm at a loss for how you think that game looks better.

those random screenshots dotn prove anything, take some real screenshots and focus closly to the textures if you wanna show something.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

dakan45

those random screenshots dotn prove anything, take some real screenshots and focus closly to the textures if you wanna show something.

If you've ever played any of those games I'm sure we can agree that the textures are not up to par with Crysis. Far Cry 2 and Mirror's Edge maybe, but Fallout 3 and GTAIV? You'd have to be legally blind to think that those two games' muddy textures are good. I'm not going to go through the effort of playing through three games (one of which I would have to reinstall) and buying two others just to make a point that I would think can be seen in any screenshot. The ones I posted show the textures in each fairly decently.

But what the hell, I found a couple better screenshots. It's just of Fallout 3 and Crysis though, but I think it illustrates my point that Charles_Dickens has no idea of what he's talking about:

Fallout 3:

And a link to a slew of close-up Fallout 3 textures. It's a for an HD texture pack mod though so only the pics labeled "default" are relevant.

Crysis:

Yep, Crysis sure does look like ass alright :roll: And wow, look at those amazing Fallout 3 textures. I can't believe it's not real life!

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#21 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
I think in a few years that level of graphics will become de facto. That is inevitable.
Avatar image for Charles_Dickens
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Charles_Dickens
Member since 2009 • 1693 Posts

Posting screenshots is pretty much a waste of time. The only way to judge is by looking at the game in person. It's like showing somebody a picture of a woman. You have to see her in person.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

gameguy6700

See, I'm finding it diffcult to understand how you think that this.

I don't agree with him, but sorry to say this, you're wrong too.

First, GTA 4, I don't know if you played it maxed out on PC, but the game looks great and the textures are extremely sharp and detailed, when it begins to rain it looks even better it's superb.

Last, Fallout 3, I bet you know but there are mods for it and this mod changes a lot, imo the road textures look kinda awkward but the rest are just phenomenal, I'd say at 2048 the textures look better than any game released so far, even Mirror's Edge but it's pretty close thanks to that lighting engine.

But technically none compare to Crysis and frankly the texture mod is garbage, sure the guy spend a lot of time on it, but he just played around with parallax mapping and the burn tool from Photoshop or w/e.

I never though I'd agree with Charles on anything o_0.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

Crysis vanilla is TWO YEARS OLD. When you factor in development time, its even older. Probably 4 years old or more. And I'm pretty sure that the devs have to use some low res textures for alot of parts of the game because if they did not, no one can play the damn game at high.

But what's more important is that the Cryengine 2 is capable to enhance and upgrade itself with mods to continue looking better and better, up-to-par or even actually surpasses every new game that has been released or going to be released 2 years later. Thats what made Crysis, or to be precise, CryEngine 2, to be the top dog in visuals up till now.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Noobivore36
I strongly beleive , and i bet for it , we will see that with the new generation of consoles.... Then maybe we got such graphics as stadar , because i doubt many companies would like to have totally different tools and engines for consoles and totally different tools and engines for PC. That will make PC games way more expensive... So we have the console engines ( not always just saying an example) that most companies working on PC games as well , but since PC is way stronger they add options like better graphic quality , options for filters and higher resolutions. But thegame engine is the very same that most using on Console ports/games. So , till next gen of consoles... We will mostly stack at COD4 - GeoW - GTA4 - KZ2 quality. Even a little better in the future , but not totally upgrade..aka next gen graphics.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dakan45
crysis screens look too much fake, the stones and the vegetations look like flat photographs, but fallout 3 has geometry.....check the road in fallout 3 it has much higher detail than crysis.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DanielDust

crysis screens look too much fake, the stones and the vegetations look like flat photographs, but fallout 3 has geometry.....check the road in fallout 3 it has much higher detail than crysis.dakan45
No matter how much you look at them they will always seem 3D, even if they're partially flat, what you're looking at there isn't Crysis' problem but the rock textures and some textures for the walls, so the problem here is you, they don't look fake, but you want to consider them fake for some reason.

Anyway Fallout 3's textures, unmodded, looks almost decent but with the texture mod they look awesome and are way above most games, but overall technically Crysis is better, tho, when it comes to detail and variety GTA IV is the best.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"]crysis screens look too much fake, the stones and the vegetations look like flat photographs, but fallout 3 has geometry.....check the road in fallout 3 it has much higher detail than crysis.DanielDust

No matter how much you look at them they will always seem 3D, even if they're partially flat, what you're looking at there isn't Crysis' problem but the rock textures and some textures for the walls, so the problem here is you, they don't look fake, but you want to consider them fake for some reason.

Anyway Fallout 3's textures, unmodded, looks almost decent but with the texture mod they look awesome and are way above most games, but overall technically Crysis is better, tho, when it comes to detail and variety GTA IV is the best.

ehmm no, look at fallout 3 rocks...look at crysis, also some items have some pixeling on them.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DanielDust
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"]crysis screens look too much fake, the stones and the vegetations look like flat photographs, but fallout 3 has geometry.....check the road in fallout 3 it has much higher detail than crysis.dakan45

ehmm no, look at fallout 3 rocks...look at crysis, also some items have some pixeling on them.

Unmodded Fallout 3 textures are all just random pixels, I don't know where you're going with Crysis' items having "some pixeling" since it's clearly the other way around. About Crysis' ground not being 3D, umm yeah, it is, and you can't convince nobody it isn't because first of all Crysis also has pseudo 3D and 3D ground, just like Fallout 3, in case you haven't noticed it's not all 3D, just a few rocks here and there, like Crysis.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="DanielDust"] No matter how much you look at them they will always seem 3D, even if they're partially flat, what you're looking at there isn't Crysis' problem but the rock textures and some textures for the walls, so the problem here is you, they don't look fake, but you want to consider them fake for some reason.

DanielDust

Unmodded Fallout 3 textures are all just random pixels, I don't know where you're going with Crysis' items having "some pixeling" since it's clearly the other way around. About Crysis' ground not being 3D, umm yeah, it is, and you can't convince nobody it isn't because first of all Crysis also has pseudo 3D and 3D ground, just like Fallout 3, in case you haven't noticed it's not all 3D, just a few rocks here and there, like Crysis.

screenshots somewhere in this thread.... but i shouldnt bother with you we never agree.... remember gothic 3?

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DanielDust

screenshots somewhere in this thread.... but i shouldnt bother with you we never agree.... remember gothic 3?

dakan45

We can't agree since you don't want to admit facts (in this thread at least). I'll install Crysis or Warhead later and I'll make some screenshots to show you how 3D the ground actually is.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"]screenshots somewhere in this thread.... but i shouldnt bother with you we never agree.... remember gothic 3?

DanielDust

We can't agree since you don't want to admit facts (in this thread at least). I'll install Crysis or Warhead later and I'll make some screenshots to show you how 3D the ground actually is.

who cant admit facts me or you and your precious gothic 3? dont post anything i dont care i have both games right now and i am sick and tired of hearing stuff... what you guys keep talking about aint facts, they are your opinions and everyone who says otherwise should leave this forum...jeez no wonder people hate so much pc users in the system wars forum.... -so am off.. bye!
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DanielDust

who cant admit facts me or you and your precious gothic 3? dont post anything i dont care i have both games right now and i am sick and tired of hearing stuff... what you guys keep talking about aint facts, they are your opinions and everyone who says otherwise should leave this forum...jeez no wonder people hate so much pc users in the system wars forum.... -so am off.. bye!dakan45

Actually Gothic 3 sucks compared to G2 (so it's not my "precious" Gothic), but it's a way better RPG than Oblivion and I was arguing with you because you wanted something extremely useless, and you wanted to know the ending before you played the game (where is Xardas). And what I was talking about are facts, the ground in Crysis is 3D, the screenshot you saw there show how detailed the ground is, but it doesn't show a portion that also has 3D objects, the same with Fallout but that screenshot just happened to be in a place where there are some 3D objects.

I didn't say to leave the forums, I just said that there is a part of it that you don't know, that's exactly the type of attitude people that go on SW have, they don't care about what they don't know and anything new to them they mindlessly bash and hate, and most console players also have a grudge on PC gamers and they want to prove themselves that their games are better because they'll be much cooler if they do that and of course PC users get mad when they read all those stupid responses and threads. If you want PC gamers to listen to you, you might have to keep the SW reference to you ;) it's not good for making a point especially when you bring into discussion things that have no relevance which in turn were facts (Gothic does not need more "showing locations" in it, that is not what Gothic is about).

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dakan45
...why do we even argue? You hated oblivion for some reaons is it the levle balance? thats ok but its better than gothic games that doesnt even have enough monsters to level up....but thats not the point its how some pc gamers put the level balance problem as "the game sucks just becasue of that"......and ignore all the rest great things in oblivion, thats my problem, that pc gamers aint any better than the console fanboys they just try to use facts and change them order to suit ther "correct perspectives"...people on sw are like" its not even worth arguing with pc gamers...pc is god.... at least we aint like that on ps3 forum.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DanielDust

Stop it with the SW I don't really care, nobody really cares actually, they don't use common sense and they aren't like "oh it's not even worth it to argue" they abuse grammar, logic and forum rules there, that's what they are like on SW, mostly console gamers, but there are a few PC gamers that do that.

This is not that thread, but I'll humor your. I don't hate Oblivion because of the level balance, which is a fundamental flaw. You have more than enough monsters in Gothic to level up.

I hate Oblivion because:

- it has a huge pointless, empty world, too much copy-pasting without actually using their brains to fill it

- one of the most dead world ever, it's retarded to compare it to Gothic when it comes to this, the cities are dead, people are monotonous and are always the same

- voice acting sucks and the cast is extremely limited, they had Patrick Stewart, but that isn't enough

- limited number of NPC models

- the story is horrible, not bad, horrible

- dialogues, like the story

- animations are horrible, 1st person removes that problem to a certain extent but you'll still see other people/horses/etc.

Also maybe it's just be but you're pretty much always on the side of the console game.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

- voice acting sucks and the cast is extremely limited, they had Patrick Stewart, but that isn't enough

DanielDust

They had Boromir too!

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

Baranga

They had Boromir too!

Yep, he has a nice voice, but it pales in comparison to Patrick Stewart, he's a classic and he's mostly the main reason I got Oblivion, the trailer was impressive and when I heard Patrick, I knew that I had to get it.
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Charles_Dickens

Crysis is 20 months old and just put these ones to shame.

citizen-zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 citizen-zero
Member since 2006 • 892 Posts
Crysis level graphics will not become mainstream for a long time, because of the rediculous money and development time involved to create photo-realistic visuals. Current gen consoles are not even close to being capable of running crysis (maybe cryengine 3, but we all saw the tech demoes, medium, 10FPS). And due to the astounding piracy rates on PC, I don't think developers are going to be willing to spend time and money to create games with crysis-like graphics, considering most people just steal the game and call it a tech demo.
Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

Of course they will! Half-Life's graphics were amazing and revolutionary when it was released, and a few years later every game had those "amazing" graphics.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dakan45

Stop it with the SW I don't really care, nobody really cares actually, they don't use common sense and they aren't like "oh it's not even worth it to argue" they abuse grammar, logic and forum rules there, that's what they are like on SW, mostly console gamers, but there are a few PC gamers that do that.

This is not that thread, but I'll humor your. I don't hate Oblivion because of the level balance, which is a fundamental flaw. You have more than enough monsters in Gothic to level up.

I hate Oblivion because:

- it has a huge pointless, empty world, too much copy-pasting without actually using their brains to fill it

- one of the most dead world ever, it's retarded to compare it to Gothic when it comes to this, the cities are dead, people are monotonous and are always the same

- limited number of NPC models

- the story is horrible, not bad, horrible

- dialogues, like the story

- animations are horrible, 1st person removes that problem to a certain extent but you'll still see other people/horses/etc.

Also maybe it's just be but you're pretty much always on the side of the console game.

DanielDust
i find all those amazing, but hearing the same voices gets old after a while...but hey atleast it has a good worldmap and i like the story more than Bore Effect.
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Of course they will! Half-Life's graphics were amazing and revolutionary when it was released, and a few years later every game had those "amazing" graphics.

bangell99

In some departments as size of the levels (Far Cry) and lightning (Doom 3 and F.E.A.R. -this one a year later-) Half-Life 2 wasn't as amazing as some other games in the same timeframe. I easily can see as F.E.A.R. -a 2006 title- still beats a lost of current console shooters in terms of lightning, soft sahdows, particles, animations and A.I. F.E.A.R. 2 is technically a backstep, and the fact that it was developed towards consoles as the main target isn't a coincidence.

Timberwolf5578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Timberwolf5578
Member since 2008 • 311 Posts

Crysis is a garbage game with overrated graphics.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

DanielDust

See, I'm finding it diffcult to understand how you think that this.

I don't agree with him, but sorry to say this, you're wrong too.

First, GTA 4, I don't know if you played it maxed out on PC, but the game looks great and the textures are extremely sharp and detailed, when it begins to rain it looks even better it's superb.

Last, Fallout 3, I bet you know but there are mods for it and this mod changes a lot, imo the road textures look kinda awkward but the rest are just phenomenal, I'd say at 2048 the textures look better than any game released so far, even Mirror's Edge but it's pretty close thanks to that lighting engine.

But technically none compare to Crysis and frankly the texture mod is garbage, sure the guy spend a lot of time on it, but he just played around with parallax mapping and the burn tool from Photoshop or w/e.

I never though I'd agree with Charles on anything o_0.

Why are you talking about the Fallout 3 texture mods as if they're part of the actual game? Mods don't count, only the unaltered game. Any game can have high res textures forced into it by modders, it's not difficult. Hell, you could stuff 2048x2048 textures into Wolfenstein 3D if you really wanted to.

As for someone's comment about Crysis's textures being flat, they are only if you play with parralax occlusion mapping turned off. If your have the game set on "very high" (or mess around with the config files) then a lot of the textures are turned into 3D textures. For example, every pebble in a creek bed becomes 3D.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dakan45

Crysis is a garbage game with overrated graphics.

Timberwolf5578
well basicly yeah, its like ifnernal...unpolished gameplay with many annoying fails happening in the middle of the combat, like missing or red screen or enemies not dying easilly, its the nanosuit that makes it fun, without it it would have been garbage wih just graphics.... but i believe that if weapons were more accurate and the enemies were easier to kill and you didnt take so much damage just like every other fps then you d like it more right?