whats the big deal with Minecraft?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rising_Star89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Rising_Star89
Member since 2003 • 344 Posts

Everyone seems to be going nuts about this game, why is it so popular? Is the game just a level creator? Is that all you really do, just create buildings? Or is there more to it than that?

coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 coughlanio
Member since 2005 • 4306 Posts
It's a giant sandbox. You can literally do anything. A guy actually made a working 16bit ALU in the game.
MarroTheDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MarroTheDragon
Member since 2010 • 39 Posts

You Start At The Day And Then You Have To Work To Build A Hide OrA House Before The Night Comes And The Monsters Comes

Godofnerdyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Godofnerdyness
Member since 2007 • 3248 Posts

Everyone seems to be going nuts about this game, why is it so popular? Is the game just a level creator? Is that all you really do, just create buildings? Or is there more to it than that?

Rising_Star89

Non-believer, let Bwana explain.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Its lego for adults but at night time monsters come out so you need to build shelters to hide from them. Also to get better resources you can go mining and its fun!

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Well, everthing, the enitre map is made by cubes. You can cut those cubes an build buildings with them. You can use wood cubes and stone and iron to make weapons and items for your house, or armors, hunt animals and make more items. Basicly it is "what if everything on earth was made in cubes?" ....and you pick them up and make everything you want, houses, boats, castles, swords, farms torches, books...everything. I just hope the creator gets up from his lazy ass and update the libary already.
MarroTheDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MarroTheDragon

Well, everthing, the enitre map is made by cubes. You can cut those cubes an build buildings with them. You can use wood cubes and stone and iron to make weapons and items for your house, or armors, hunt animals and make more items. Basicly it is "what if everything on earth was made in cubes?" ....and you pick them up and make everything you want, houses, boats, castles, swords, farms torches, books...everything. I just hope the creator gets up from his lazy ass and update the libary already.dakan45
His Not Lazy. Its Hard To Get Up An Company And Coding Games. And His Working With The Halloween Update Right Now Which Also Puts Him Up To More Work. So He Cant Do Any More Updates Until 31 October.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"]Well, everthing, the enitre map is made by cubes. You can cut those cubes an build buildings with them. You can use wood cubes and stone and iron to make weapons and items for your house, or armors, hunt animals and make more items. Basicly it is "what if everything on earth was made in cubes?" ....and you pick them up and make everything you want, houses, boats, castles, swords, farms torches, books...everything. I just hope the creator gets up from his lazy ass and update the libary already.MarroTheDragon

His Not Lazy. Its Hard To Get Up An Company And Coding Games. And His Working With The Halloween Update Right Now Which Also Puts Him Up To More Work. So He Cant Do Any More Updates Until 31 October.

Why do you start all your letters in capitals? Isn't that a pain up the ass?

MarroTheDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MarroTheDragon
[QUOTE="cyborg100000"]

[QUOTE="MarroTheDragon"]

Well, everthing, the enitre map is made by cubes. You can cut those cubes an build buildings with them. You can use wood cubes and stone and iron to make weapons and items for your house, or armors, hunt animals and make more items. Basicly it is "what if everything on earth was made in cubes?" ....and you pick them up and make everything you want, houses, boats, castles, swords, farms torches, books...everything. I just hope the creator gets up from his lazy ass and update the libary already.dakan45

Nah... Its Kind Of Pain In The Ass Sometimes
matte3560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 matte3560
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts
[QUOTE="MarroTheDragon"][QUOTE="cyborg100000"]

[QUOTE="MarroTheDragon"] His Not Lazy. Its Hard To Get Up An Company And Coding Games. And His Working With The Halloween Update Right Now Which Also Puts Him Up To More Work. So He Cant Do Any More Updates Until 31 October.

Nah... Its Kind Of Pain In The Ass Sometimes

Tell you what is a pain in the ass though. Reading it.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Limit is your imagination within the scope of the tools. People like freedom so they are attracted to the sandbox.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#12 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Lazy??? :lol:

hamelkarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 hamelkarl
Member since 2009 • 207 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"]Well, everthing, the enitre map is made by cubes. You can cut those cubes an build buildings with them. You can use wood cubes and stone and iron to make weapons and items for your house, or armors, hunt animals and make more items. Basicly it is "what if everything on earth was made in cubes?" ....and you pick them up and make everything you want, houses, boats, castles, swords, farms torches, books...everything. I just hope the creator gets up from his lazy ass and update the libary already.kozzy1234

Some guys don't understand the hard work behind any game creation. Even a simple freaking game takes huge amount of time to create for one single guy. This dude put out something extraordinary, still support it, trying to make it bigger than what it was supposed to be at an earlier stage and people call him lazy for not updating fast enough. This kind of comment is hilarious and inapropriate.

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"]Well, everthing, the enitre map is made by cubes. You can cut those cubes an build buildings with them. You can use wood cubes and stone and iron to make weapons and items for your house, or armors, hunt animals and make more items. Basicly it is "what if everything on earth was made in cubes?" ....and you pick them up and make everything you want, houses, boats, castles, swords, farms torches, books...everything. I just hope the creator gets up from his lazy ass and update the libary already.hamelkarl

Some guys don't understand the hard work behind any game creation. Even a simple freaking game takes huge amount of time to create for one single guy. This dude put out something extraordinary, still support it, trying to make it bigger than what it was supposed to be at an earlier stage and people call him lazy for not updating fast enough. This kind of comment is hilarious and inapropriate.

Indeed. Not surprising though coming from Dakan.

And the dude typing with all words capitalized has got to be trollin' us...rofl.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#15 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

I was curious like you. I asked "Whats with Minecraft? People are going nuts for it, so I went and tried it and now there's not a single day that I don't log in to Minecraft.

Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#16 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
Advanced Legos.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

The game seemed pretty mediocre to me, like most indie games. You can build stuff, sure, but you can't customize your stuff, you can't interact with them except by destroying the cubes or replacing them. Fighting seemed to be a very small part of the game. It was hard for me to run into any enemies at night and even then, they're nothing out of the ordinary or something you can't avoid by running away from or killing them.

There are games like the Sims, Simcity or Dawn of Discovery that do things much better and have a lot more items and buildings and customization options. To be honest, there's not much to actually do in Minecraft no matter how fancy you can make a building, because in the end, they're all either made of brick or wood ( did I mention your buildings can't be customized in any way ? ), so options are very limited in the game at this point; I don't see how you can build 'anything'.

I don't see why we must always overhype indie games like they're always ingenious, while criticizing mainstream titles for never doing anything new and how the big companies should all learn from the little guy. Like I said, most indie games are mediocre.

And after playing New Vegas I have to ask, Minecraft who?

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts

The game seemed pretty mediocre to me, like most indie games. You can build stuff, sure, but you can't customize your stuff, you can't interact with them except by destroying the cubes or replacing them. Fighting seemed to be a very small part of the game. It was hard for me to run into any enemies at night and even then, they're nothing out of the ordinary or something you can't avoid by running away from or killing them.

There are games like the Sims, Simcity or Dawn of Discovery that do things much better and have a lot more items and buildings and customization options. To be honest, there's not much to actually do in Minecraft no matter how fancy you can make a building, because in the end, they're all either made of brick or wood ( did I mention your buildings can't be customized in any way ? ), so options are very limited in the game at this point; I don't see how you can build 'anything'.

I don't see why we must always overhype indie games like they're always ingenious, while criticizing mainstream titles for never doing anything new and how the big companies should all learn from the little guy. Like I said, most indie games are mediocre.

SkyWard20

After reading your post it is apparent you know nothing about the game beyond a 2 minute video you watched on YouTube.

h3LL_ZinKy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 h3LL_ZinKy69
Member since 2010 • 184 Posts

:o -- that was my expression when you said 'what's the big deal?'. Its the most fun I've had with a game for years. Its basically a massive sandbox hat you can do anything on. Someone made a working 16 bit ALU in minecraft, another did a 1:1 scale model of the starship enterprise (bit nerdy but looked cool =3)

h3LL_ZinKy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 h3LL_ZinKy69
Member since 2010 • 184 Posts

[QUOTE="SkyWard20"]

Remmib

After reading your post it is apparent you know nothing about the game beyond a 2 minute video you watched on YouTube.

Agreed :D also the customization in minecraft is way beyond the games you mentioned such as the sims and simcity.
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Rising_Star89

Untill it goes in normal pixels I won't try the game even though I was greatly impressed - the graphics and the lack of storyline is what bothers me; the idea is awesome