what with the tablet hype?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

what with the tablet craze lately? they're godawfully overrated,i had an xperia tablet z and i got rid of it because of how bad and awkward the usability was, and felt like just a 10 inch smartphone, i cant believe this overhyped piece of dog crap is killing the pc market and killed the netbook i just hope at some point the tablet industry will crash like the video game industry with e.t. they're too much of them, they're no quality control over it and the games apps are just bad flash games that all look the same with overpriced pay to win microtransaction, the tablet industry is a total disaster and a serious threat for non casual users and pc lovers the only reason it a sucess it because steve jobs brainwashed the public to believe it a pc killer,almost everything a tablet does, the netbook or small laptop did it much better and for less. overall the tablet is ultimatly the most overrated electronic device of the 21st century.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Feeling better after the rant?

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Its just easy and convenient for people really. I don't have one because of my phone, but if I need anything for games etc I just use my phone instead of alt tabbing out of a game or having to go into another room if I am on a console.

I turn it on and boom results.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I use my Android tablet to check email, light web surfing, and watch videos when I'm out with the wife shopping. I play a few games on it as well. They're okay for the light stuff.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

What do you prefer, walking down the house with a laptop or a tablet? Asking by "you" means family who don't seat in front of a computer all day long =)

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I own an ipad. It has it place. I love being able to carry something at just a pound to class, or were ever i need it. Desktop + tablet equals the best of both worlds

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

It's very convenient for the casual user. Youtube, email, facebook, twitter, casual games. etc

All of that is changing now with powerful processors like the Snapdragon 800 and Tegra 4. Processors like Tegra 5/6 will reach up to graphics of 360 and PS4 graphics, all being more power efficient than ever. There is no need for a desktop unless it's workstation stuff or high end gaming that cannot be achieved on a mobile device. Ultrabooks are also the new craze with their sleek design and powerful intel processors.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

they are certainly overrated. they are grand for browsing dinternet and watching videos. but a laptop does those things better and a smartphone will do the same job for those times when its not practical to use a laptop.

there could be some pretty interesting games made for tablets but most are just quick and dirty ports of phone games.

from a gaming standpoint though i think they could be very interesting as a complimentary controller and second screen for many games. bit like xbox smartglass.

but as a standalone device its uses are limited.

r-teest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By r-teest
Member since 2007 • 949 Posts

The hybrid laptop and tablet combo is the perfect device. Best of both worlds.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

My phone can pretty much do everything that a tablet can. I look at it as a waste of money :p

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Just got a new Nexus 7 for Christmas and I love it! I was watching Netflix on my phone and while it was doable, it's nice to have a bigger screen to watch in bed.

While I'll always use my desktop for gaming or work - I can't really take my desktop to the couch or bed. :P

I believe my wife paid under $300 for mine. I'd say for all it does that's not a bad price IMO.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Windows 8.1 tablets using x86-64 hardware have started to hit the market.

Take for example the ASUS T100 for $350.

Specifications:

• Windows 8.1 (x86) + Free Microsoft Office 2013 Home & Student
  • 10 inch 1366x768 IPS display
  • Intel Atom Z3740 (Bay Trail)
  • 2GB LPDDR3
  • 64GB eMMC
  • micro HDMI | micro SD | micro USB
  • WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n | BT 4.0
  • Included keyboard dock with a full sized USB 3.0 [No battery]
  • 11 hour battery life (tablet only)
  • 1.2 lbs (tablet only) | 2.4 lbs (tablet + keyboard dock)
  • 10.4 x 6.7 x 0.41 inch (tablet only)
IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

If I could buy it and transfer office license I would be sold.