What will be the next most popular FPS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AngelB1ack
Member since 2005 • 7936 Posts

As huge and CS or BF2 or CoD series..

Please pick something other than crysis.

jorbo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jorbo76
Member since 2006 • 354 Posts
Enemy Terriotry: QW or UnrealTournament 3 maybe?
lionheart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lionheart22
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts
BioShock is looking very good
PwningStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PwningStick
Member since 2005 • 453 Posts
I'm pretty sure UT3 will be the next big multiplayer FPS. Crysis just seems like a graphic fest :P and maybe some good single player. They seem like they're just making the multiplayer too complicated for it to be popular, where games like CS are so simple and that's what makes it so fun.
nic0008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nic0008
Member since 2006 • 250 Posts
UT3, Quake Wars and Hellgate: London all look good.
mazare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 mazare
Member since 2005 • 687 Posts
Quake wars looks pretty kool
Sovereign727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sovereign727
Member since 2006 • 673 Posts

As huge and CS or BF2 or CoD series..

Please pick something other than crysis.

AngelB1ack
CS Pro mod will be the most popular multiplayer FPS, should it come out.
RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts
Actually, I don't think anything will be as 'huge' as Counter Strike. That 'mod' has taken on a life of its own, and is obviously incredibly popular, and probably only out-done by MMOs in terms of people playing it. I don't actually like CS myself and don't play it (I play CoD instead), but I can see it retaining the online shooter crown for a while yet. From the upcoming releases, I would expect Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and Unreal Tournament 3 to do well. Quake Wars should appeal to both the Quake crowd and the Wolf:ET gamer base, while the UT series obviously has a long-standing loyal fan base. Of course, the problem with comparing UT to the likes of CS is that UT has multiple gametypes to choose from (DM, TDM, CTF, Onslaught etc), whereas CS is just one gametype. I think Crysis may be popular online, but I don't think it will be as successful as multiplayer-oriented titles. Call Of Duty 4 is on the horizon somewhere, but I can only see that game fracturing the CoD community even more than CoD 2 did. Undoubtedly it will attract new players as well, but I really cannot see it competing well with other games, and the 'modern' setting will turn off many existing CoD players. Other games that might garner a decent following include... Enemy in Sight Arma: Armed Assault Alliance: The Silent War Project Offset Medal Of Honor: Airborne - if they manage to deliver some decent MP modes, which I doubt at this point. Although I don't think any of these title are 'high profile' enough to go head to head with the heavy hitters.
AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AngelB1ack
I just can't seem to find another game better than the CoD series that is easy to jump into and frag a few people. It's fast, easy and fun. All the other FPS games seem to be graphics/system hogs or are unoptimized.
Deus_Ex_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Deus_Ex_Fan
Member since 2006 • 625 Posts

Any of the FPS will be popular. But the *best* game will be a hybrid, something like Bioshock - if for anything to get out of the dumb, stupid, insane same o same frag/nade/frag routine.

Bioshock is going to be the closet modern Deus Ex genre available (unless System Shock 3 would come out).

A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts

Any of the FPS will be popular. But the *best* game will be a hybrid, something like Bioshock - if for anything to get out of the dumb, stupid, insane same o same frag/nade/frag routine.

Bioshock is going to be the closet modern Deus Ex genre available (unless System Shock 3 would come out).

Deus_Ex_Fan

from what i've read, system hsock 3 is coming out - but it's being developed inhouse at EA, so it's 99% certain it'll be awful - consider bioshock your system shock 3, and consider the system shock series dead

bioshock is probably going to be game of the year, it's definitely my bet, but it's just not going to be all that popular - people don't want clever, immersive games, they want pretty pictures and big explosions - i bet crysis outsells it by 3 to 1 at least

as for the topic, there's a number of games that could be really big, quake wars is a safe bet - since quake is one of the genre defining names, it has a huge fanbase - and the battlefield genre is very popular, so a combination of the two is a sure hit, plus enemy territory was both awesome and popular, so it's got a massive foothold in the market already just on history and reputation

huxley, crysis, maybe even stalker could all be huge - but as someone above said, nothing is ever gonna be as big as CS, not any time soon anyway - that game is just massive, and that people have been loyally playing it for going on a decade (i've been playing since around 2000 myself) - and it's still one of, or the most popular online FPS

as busy as the 2007 pc lineup is, there just aren't very many major online fps games on the horizon
sj420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 sj420
Member since 2003 • 626 Posts
i think the tc is really asking what game will have the most success due to its mass appeal, and i can't think of any game other than crysis and halo3 if you include consoles.  i'm sure bioshock will be a great game, but i can't see it doing well as an impulse, off-the-shelf pick up.
AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AngelB1ack

i think the tc is really asking what game will have the most success due to its mass appeal, and i can't think of any game other than crysis and halo3 if you include consoles.  i'm sure bioshock will be a great game, but i can't see it doing well as an impulse, off-the-shelf pick up.sj420
I don't include consoles because im a PC gamer in a PC games forum. I could care less about consoles and console games.

I just could never get into CS, imo it's a terrible game and the community is bad. I'm talking about BF2 popular...people are still playing the demo lol. I just took a look at CoD2 server browser and over 5000 servers were showing up.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

i think the tc is really asking what game will have the most success due to its mass appeal, and i can't think of any game other than crysis and halo3 if you include consoles.  i'm sure bioshock will be a great game, but i can't see it doing well as an impulse, off-the-shelf pick up.sj420

Doubtful on Crysis.. Remember Farcry's multiplayer, or the lack of any worthwhile one for that matter?..  And I have yet to be impressed by the Halo franchise when every strenght it supposedly has is surpassed by the shooters on the PC, from great multiplayers, singleplayers, story, action, vehicles, etc etc.

sj420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sj420

lol don't get me wrong - i personally think the halo series is the most mediocre and overrated of all time, but i certainly can't deny its popularity - which is what i was pointing out.

crysis is without a doubt the most anticipated fps for 07, and it will be the most popular.

as far as long-lasting multiplayer popularity like bf2 or cod2, it's anyone's guess.  the recent trend in pc fps's is teh focus on cinematic single player experiences.

-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 -Karayan-
Member since 2006 • 6713 Posts

Deus_Ex_Fan
Bioshock = SS3 But it won't feature MP, that might affect sales.
sj420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sj420

Remember Farcry's multiplayer, or the lack of any worthwhile one for that matter?..

sSubZerOo

i played farcry for its singleplayer - not its multiplayer, which was lame, imo.

i thought the original question was guessing what will be the next popular fps and not best?

AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AngelB1ack
Bioshock will be popular but nowhere near BF2 popular.
Ace_V0rn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Ace_V0rn
Member since 2006 • 433 Posts
Crysis.
inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
half life 2 episode 2
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
UT3 will be huge.
VonWolfman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 VonWolfman
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Tribes 4 and Mechwarrior 5....wait im dreaming... maybe Ghost Recon Advanced warfighter 2 for pc.
Skat137321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Skat137321
Member since 2005 • 256 Posts
i would say UT3

Shrut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shrut
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
UT2007! Just look what UT2004 did to us!